Far Cry 4 Underwhelming for anyone?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

The game itself is obviously a reskinned FC3 with new gadgets and story.

Seriously, I thought this was a DLC at first.

Very disappointed with Ubisoft's cash in attempt.

The only thing I am looking forward to is the potential MP they create. (where far cry 3 really lacked) Riding elephants and grappling do not really tickle my fancy.

Also, FC3 was my goty for 2012. So don't misinterpret my rant as being a hater.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I saw an elephant ramming a jeep with explosions going off.

Works for me.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

You're disappointed with ubi when they're doing essentially the same thing since 07? Been almost a decade they've started rehashing 1-2 games over n over n over n OVER again

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

It looked like a shooter with open ended and fun options.

I suppose for the Call Of Duty generation it might be abit much.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Liquid_
@uninspiredcup said:

I am hoping this isn't targeted towards me, because the only person likely to be in that generation thats posted so far, is you.

@silversix_ said:

You're disappointed with ubi when they're doing essentially the same thing since 07? Been almost a decade they've started rehashing 1-2 games over n over n over n OVER again

Honestly, they picked it up last year with AC Black Flag and also FC3 the year before. I would say the transition to those previous titles was rather impressive.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It looked great

This game definitely isn't for you if the only thing you are looking forward to is the multiplayer

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Liquid_ said:

I am hoping this isn't targeted towards me, because the only person likely to be in that generation thats posted so far, is you.

Honestly, they picked it up last year with AC Black Flag and also FC3 the year before. I would say the transition to those previous titles was rather impressive.

My friend, I don't want to be rude but... Far Cry 3 was a surprisingly great game. In this day and age, to get such an open ended, do what you like shooter, is rare.

To see you complaining about "oh this game looks like another great game" make me scratch my head. Likewise, was Far Cry 2 the exact same game? No. They radically changed the game-play elements while keeping the same themes.

It's understandable I would equate you to a Call Of Duty player. Because, currently, no logical reason to complain beyond the type of game it is, seems to exist.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

isn't that what a series does? they make something and then the rest in line are basicly reskins with NEW storys, NEW items, NEW things lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup  Online

@k2theswiss said:

@Liquid_ said:

isn't that what a series does? they make something and then the rest in line are basicly reskins with NEW storys, NEW items, NEW things lol

Far Cry 2 and 3 are radically different games.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Im excited. Just need to get my hands on a gtx770.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Works for me.

GOTY

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

looked good to me.. didnt care too much for Far Cry 3 though.. the bad guy was pretty cool and knowing Troy Baker is voicing him just makes it even better.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I liked FC4. Will it be a good game? eh.... it will be a decent game...

I was hyped for FC3 and it was kinda of a lame game... I honestly dont remember much about it either cuz it really didnt do anything to stand out.

I fear FC4 may be the same, looks cool and epic on the trailers, when you play it is a drag to get through...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup  Online

@Flubbbs said:

looked good to me.. didnt care too much for Far Cry 3 though.. the bad guy was pretty cool and knowing Troy Baker is voicing him just makes it even better.

I agree. Ubisoft characters and story in most games seems to be a weak point. Even if the actual voice acting is great.

Gameplay wise though, I would disagree about Far Cry 3 not standing out. It quite clearly seemed to be one of the better shooters of this (or last) generation.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm actually just getting into Far Cry 3 right now. About 6 (ish) hours in. Loving the organic nature of the exploration and combat. LOVE the bow and stealth skills. Love the setting. I loved Far Cry 2 as well (I'm one of the few I think).

*watches Far Cry 4 trailer*

DAY ONE

This shit in the goddamn Himalayas? HHHNNNGGG

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

Frankly, Black Flag is the last game that you should be using as an example. Its mechanics were pretty much the same. A change in theme and ship bottles is not enough. Now Unity, I could go with that.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

I had a blast with Far Cry 2 and 3 so odds are I will enjoy this one as well. I thought the trailer looked great.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

not as bad as battlefield hardline which is basically a BF4 mod being sold as a new game. A mod that had EA/DICE just let people mod the game would have been made within a few months of release.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#19 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Sounds like a sequel.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

NO!

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I wasn't impressed with it. It looked just as boring and uninteresting as Far Cry 3.

raging_user

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raging_user
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Animals,explosions and an open world. Can't go wrong

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It seems more like Tarzan than FarCry.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Works for me.

That and a friggin Gyrocopter. Count me in. The game looks amazing.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Not really.

I am personally loving the villain, he already stands next to Vaas, probably surpassing him too, im interested to know how he knows the protag

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

I'm fine with this. The real crime is Assassin's Creed, which looks like the same game they've rehashed for 7 years now.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The action should be solid enough. I wasn't that impressed with the story aspects like the villain. He reminded me too much of the last one.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Liquid_

@k2theswiss said:

@Liquid_ said:

I don't think you played FC2.

@JangoWuzHere said:

It looked great

This game definitely isn't for you if the only thing you are looking forward to is the multiplayer

I was one of the only people who called FC3 winning goty back in 2012. I obviously didn't say that because of the ungodly mp experience that they revealed.

@uninspiredcup said:

@Liquid_ said:

My friend, I don't want to be rude but... Far Cry 3 was a surprisingly great game. In this day and age, to get such an open ended, do what you like shooter, is rare.

To see you complaining about "oh this game looks like another great game" make me scratch my head. Likewise, was Far Cry 2 the exact same game? No. They radically changed the game-play elements while keeping the same themes.

It's understandable I would equate you to a Call Of Duty player. Because, currently, no logical reason to complain beyond the type of game it is, seems to exist.

Suprisingly good? As I stated to another user up above, I recall being one of the only people to praise FC3 prior to its release because everyone on this site seems to follow this logic: (well if a game series was bad, then the sequel will be bad too; this same logic holds if a game was good, that must mean the sequel will be good) I'm not complaining, I simply stated that I was underwhelmed with the transition, so if this offends you; you most likely shouldn't post on here. Calling me a CoD player is pretty hilarious though.

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

Frankly, Black Flag is the last game that you should be using as an example. Its mechanics were pretty much the same. A change in theme and ship bottles is not enough. Now Unity, I could go with that.

Exactly, similar mechanics, but at least they took it in a different direction and it worked very well. Far Cry 4 has no different direction, from the footage shown at E3, there were no new elements other from controlling elephants and grappling, which isn't really a lot. The ships in black flag made the game challenging and it actually made you want to complete side quests to earn upgrades for your ship and this is coming from someone who has disliked the AC series after the first was released.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

Exactly, similar mechanics, but at least they took it in a different direction and it worked very well. Far Cry 4 has no different direction, from the footage shown at E3, there were no new elements other from controlling elephants and grappling, which isn't really a lot. The ships in black flag made the game challenging and it actually made you want to complete side quests to earn upgrades for your ship and this is coming from someone who has disliked the AC series after the first was released.

Frankly, if you liked Black Flag but disliked the series after the release of the first game, then you liked BF for not being an Assassin's Creed game. But in my opinion, it is more about refining mechanics and improving them more so than taking the new direction. The little bit of mechanics that were showcased in the Far Cry 4 demo will improve the overall all gameplay, add more possibilities and more freedom. You use the ship battles in BF as an example. Yes, it was fun to a lot of people, but I really see the whole pirate theme as nothing more then way to keep the game fresh enough so that people would not get bored. Honestly, after a few battles, I got tired of it. There should be more driving me then to play with ships in an AC game.

In my opinion, the fact that you can leap from one vehicle to the next and kill its driver is something that should be appreciated. That goes for the shooting while driving too. Hell, you can kick a barrel over. Do you know how many games I wished actually had that one simple mechanic, and how many possibilities that it opens up? Now quite frankly, if the climbing is as, well, limited as in Far Cry 3 when it comes to how you can jump and what you can grab, then I will be a little disappointed. However, I would say that what has been shown adds a lot. Way more than BF.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Liquid_

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

Frankly, if you liked Black Flag but disliked the series after the release of the first game, then you liked BF for not being an Assassin's Creed game. But in my opinion, it is more about refining mechanics and improving them more so than taking the new direction. The little bit of mechanics that were showcased in the Far Cry 4 demo will improve the overall all gameplay, add more possibilities and more freedom. You use the ship battles in BF as an example. Yes, it was fun to a lot of people, but I really see the whole pirate theme as nothing more then way to keep the game fresh enough so that people would not get bored. Honestly, after a few battles, I got tired of it. There should be more driving me then to play with ships in an AC game.

In my opinion, the fact that you can leap from one vehicle to the next and kill its driver is something that should be appreciated. That goes for the shooting while driving too. Hell, you can kick a barrel over. Do you know how many games I wished actually had that one simple mechanic, and how many possibilities that it opens up? Now quite frankly, if the climbing is as, well, limited as in Far Cry 3 when it comes to how you can jump and what you can grab, then I will be a little disappointed. However, I would say that what has been shown adds a lot. Way more than BF.

Sorry let me correct myself, I enjoyed a bit of the 2nd one but everything between that and BF was awful. Honestly I was hoping for a really nice transition and not a knock off of FC3 in terms of graphics and gameplay elements. Yeah, they added a few things which every sequel should, maybe I am a little under impressed due to the enormous transition from FC2 to FC3; I don't think Ubi could make that happen again unless they put in more development time in their games, which obviously with FC4 wasn't very long.

Ubisoft may get away with it this time, just like Activision has for years with Call of Duty, but I think people are catching on to the reskinning of games and that is why games like CoD and AC recieve huge amounts of criticism; so the developer can compliment changes(which obviously doesn't happen always) The development time for these games too are what drag down the innovation into their sequels. Milk the series til people stop buying it, and I am betting FC5 will come out 1-2 years after FC4 and we will be stuck in the same FC3 interface.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

It's an iteration of an already great game (FC3), why fix what isn't broken. To me it looked pretty great, especially since one of the devs said they were encouraging players to improvise more.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

we can drive a tiny helicopter, so that's awesome

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Looks insanely fun. Can't wait.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

not as bad as battlefield hardline which is basically a BF4 mod being sold as a new game. A mod that had EA/DICE just let people mod the game would have been made within a few months of release.

Modders could develop a campaign in a few months? Modders would hire professional voice actors?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cranler

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

Sorry let me correct myself, I enjoyed a bit of the 2nd one but everything between that and BF was awful. Honestly I was hoping for a really nice transition and not a knock off of FC3 in terms of graphics and gameplay elements. Yeah, they added a few things which every sequel should, maybe I am a little under impressed due to the enormous transition from FC2 to FC3; I don't think Ubi could make that happen again unless they put in more development time in their games, which obviously with FC4 wasn't very long.

Ubisoft may get away with it this time, just like Activision has for years with Call of Duty, but I think people are catching on to the reskinning of games and that is why games like CoD and AC recieve huge amounts of criticism; so the developer can compliment changes(which obviously doesn't happen always) The development time for these games too are what drag down the innovation into their sequels. Milk the series til people stop buying it, and I am betting FC5 will come out 1-2 years after FC4 and we will be stuck in the same FC3 interface.

That enormous transition from FC 2 to 3 was due to the fact that FC 2 was generally hated. FC 3 sold great and most people like it. Make too many changes and you alienate the new fanbase that FC 3 created. I would imagine most fans want more FC 3 style gameplay in a new environment.

What did you want Ubisoft to do with FC 4?

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Liquid_

@Cranler said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

That enormous transition from FC 2 to 3 was due to the fact that FC 2 was generally hated. FC 3 sold great and most people like it. Make too many changes and you alienate the new fanbase that FC 3 created. I would imagine most fans want more FC 3 style gameplay in a new environment.

I am not a game developer, but if I wanted to appease my audience; I would add more innovation, improved graphics, new physics, perhaps options to purchase land, a more structured skill system, a well balanced money system. These are things just off the top of my head and they may have made some of these alterations, but my initial preview of E3's showing has left me unimpressed.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I think it looked great and alot more interesting and diverse than FC3. I'm in.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It looks like Fary Cry 3.5, but I'm fine with that since FC3 was a fun game and it looked great on PC.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I loved Far Cry 3 i enjoyed hunting wild animals and exploring the huge map and i'll love Far Cry 4 just as much as far cry 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

Don't like elephants in the game feels silly for me

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

From what I've seen the game does look awfully a lot like FC3, but it still looks promising enough to buy. Hopefully they have a better main character to play with.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

Seriously, I thought this was a DLC at first.

Very disappointed with Ubisoft's cash in attempt.

The only thing I am looking forward to is the potential MP they create. (where far cry 3 really lacked) Riding elephants and grappling do not really tickle my fancy.

Also, FC3 was my goty for 2012. So don't misinterpret my rant as being a hater.

I'm actually with you. 2012 GOTY was FC3 for me3 as well. This did look like more of a great recipe. I'll buy. But for how much longer?

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#45 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

It looks fun, but I'm not amazed or anything.

HungBuck007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HungBuck007
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Liquid_:

I don't really find this a bad thing it looks great. And the location looks awesome and colorful. The game will be awesome.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup  Online

In a game like Oblivion you can't go 5 feet without repetitive combat music kicking in and something arbitrarily attacking you. In Far Cry 3 the enemies feel more natural. They have bases with the occasional patrols. With exploration not continuously jumping into combat unless you generally choose it.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Liquid_

Maybe I was expecting too much. The transition from FC2 and FC3 was just so much; I was hoping for an even better transition..oh well. I will probably buy it and enjoy it anyway

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I didn't like Far Cry 3, so I don't suppose I'll like this one either.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cranler

@Liquid_ said:

@Cranler said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:

@cooolio said:

@Liquid_ said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@silversix_ said:

I am not a game developer, but if I wanted to appease my audience; I would add more innovation, improved graphics, new physics, perhaps options to purchase land, a more structured skill system, a well balanced money system. These are things just off the top of my head and they may have made some of these alterations, but my initial preview of E3's showing has left me unimpressed.

What would owning land accomplish? Once you take over an outpost you basically own it. How do you propose they improve the structure of the skill system? How was the money system in FC 3 unbalanced?

Graphics are better. Textures are much improved, lighting seems improved as well. I agree about physics, every game should at least be on the level of HL 2 by now but it was hard to tell much about the physics. Or were you expecting Red Faction Guerrilla physics?

Another improvement was they brought the wind back. Wind is an easy way to add realistic atmosphere to a game but they should really bring back the weather system from FC 2.