Fallout 4 Hype Thread - Are you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Poll Fallout 4 Hype Thread - Are you S.P.E.C.I.A.L.? (194 votes)

AAAA 24%
AAA 60%
AA 10%
A 6%
Welcome Home
Welcome Home

Quick 411

• Release Date: November 10, 2015
  • Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
  • Publisher: Bethesda
  • Platform: PC, Xbox One, PS4
  • Genre: RPG
  • Download Size: 28.12 GB (Xbox One)
 • 
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#201 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@texasgoldrush: "now why don't you go **** your selfie"

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#202  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14934 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: "now why don't you go **** your selfie"

Which Max promptly makes fun of...guess you missed that.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: "Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah."

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: "Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah."

Which Max also makes fun of...try harder.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: "Okay girl, you don't get a photo op like this everyday..."

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#206 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Go **** your selfie was great.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: stfu, I'm trying to make a point Lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 jg4xchamp

Yo your point sucks. That line is so incredibly ridiculous, implausible that anyone has said that out loud, that it can't be anything other than great that some french adult would think american white girls would use a line like that.

Also Victoria is such a bitch.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 texasgoldrush

@jg4xchamp said:

Yo your point sucks. That line is so incredibly ridiculous, implausible that anyone has said that out loud, that it can't be anything other than great that some french adult would think american white girls would use a line like that.

Also Victoria is such a bitch.

Its not even from Life is Strange. They sell T-shirts with that phrase. It already exists. LIS just had a character use it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: listen, it's a great line because it's awful. Thats some "understand the palm of my hand, bitch" type shit. My point is that all the writing/voice acting in life is strange is just as bad and awkward as any Bethesda game if not worse. Just because it's so bad that it's good again doesn't make it not bad.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp: listen, it's a great line because it's awful. Thats some "understand the palm of my hand, bitch" type shit. My point is that all the writing/voice acting in life is strange is just as bad and awkward as any Bethesda game if not worse. Just because it's so bad that it's good again doesn't make it not bad.

Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch put on epochal performances, the voice acting for the most part is good.

Outside the first episode, where the slang is somewhat overplayed, the dialogue is actually pretty good. Nevermind some of the characters in the game do have mental or social problems...Nathan, David, Kate, Alyssa, Chloe, and even Max. Also, they took in feedback and improved the dialogue.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: no, it's not. The voice acting is robotic, awkward and stitched together for the most part. Its good in the same way the awful voice acting in heavy rain was good.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: no, it's not. The voice acting is robotic, awkward and stitched together for the most part. Its good in the same way the awful voice acting in heavy rain was good.

Then why was Ashly Burch the Golden Joystick winner for Chloe? Voted by gamers.

Nevermind the lip sync issue was patched and mostly eliminated when the last episode came out.

You got VAs voicing multiple characters, but they hold up for the most part. Telle and Burch are unanimously praised.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: no idea, I don't keep up with worthless awards I've never heard of. Weak argument is weak.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Let's see,

• Inaccurate paraphrasing
  • Dialogue Wheel Results always results in similar things. A negative reply, a positive reply, one question to ask, and something more neutral.
  • I will let the link below do the talking
  • http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ywjaBh8n5zg/ViIDEJ06RWI/AAAAAAAACZQ/drIwUw6vSqU/s1600/HATENEWSPAPERS.jp
  • You are an android, supposedly I heard from some that the original human's brain is in the dog (dont ask me how they fit the brain in there).
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: no idea, I don't keep up with worthless awards I've never heard of. Weak argument is weak.

you mean one of the oldest gaming awards voted by millions in the UK? Living under a rock?

@Maroxad said:

@texasgoldrush: Let's see,

• Inaccurate paraphrasing
  • Dialogue Wheel Results always results in similar things. A negative reply, a positive reply, one question to ask, and something more neutral.
  • You are an android, supposedly I heard from some that the original human's brain is in the dog (dont ask me how they fit the brain in there).
  • I hate newspapers<-One of the dialogue options that have gained a large ammount of notoriety on the internet

Wow

I heard they took out speech checks as well. And only 4 dialogue options at a time? Bioware could do 10 at once.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: I don't live in the uk so why should I give a **** what the uk thinks of anything?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: I don't live in the uk so why should I give a **** what the uk thinks of anything?

or how about the fact that thousands thought you are wrong?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Maroxad

@texasgoldrush: You missed the edit, so I will send a link to the image, because to be honest, the other responses are just as bad.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ywjaBh8n5zg/ViIDEJ06RWI/AAAAAAAACZQ/drIwUw6vSqU/s1600/HATENEWSPAPERS.jp

As for the speech. They did is that they removed all skill thresholds. Now all speech is based on a dice roll, improved by your charisma. Yes, so you can save scum dialogue again until you get the right response >_>

Man, I miss being able to use skills such as barter, repair, science as well as perks like confirmed bachelor and lady killer in dialogue.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Maroxad said:

@texasgoldrush: You missed the edit, so I will send a link to the image, because to be honest, the other responses are just as bad.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ywjaBh8n5zg/ViIDEJ06RWI/AAAAAAAACZQ/drIwUw6vSqU/s1600/HATENEWSPAPERS.jp

As for the speech. They did is that they removed all skill thresholds. Now all speech is based on a dice roll, improved by your charisma. Yes, so you can save scum dialogue again until you get the right choice >_>

Man, I miss being able to use skills such as barter, repair, science as well as perks like confirmed bachelor and lady killer in dialogue.

Saw it. I love the dialogue wheel actually...I think Bethesda simply put, are too poor of writers to use it effectively and really fallout doesn;t need it.

Black Widow on Benny is classic.

Outside the 100 point cap, New Vegas had a good system. Bethesda broke it. They could have at least used perks in dialogue.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: again, so what? Thats irrelevant to by point

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224: I don't know about all the writing, I think the plot and characterizations are there, but the dialogue is terrible. It screams old dudes trying to deliver young people lingo. If they had just let them speak a bit more naturally it would have been fine.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 jg4xchamp

@texasgoldrush said:
@mems_1224 said:

Gamers have some bad taste and a low bar for acting?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#225 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Gamers have some bad taste and a low bar for everything?

Sorry, just needed to tinker that a bit for you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

PSA.....

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-xbox-one-players-may-have-downloaded-the/1100-6432044/

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

@mems_1224: I don't know about all the writing, I think the plot and characterizations are there, but the dialogue is terrible. It screams old dudes trying to deliver young people lingo. If they had just let them speak a bit more naturally it would have been fine.

Sure, that game has heart. Im not saying its a bad game but lets not pretend that the dialogue and voice acting is great. It has the same problem that every choose your own adventure game has, stiff, awkward dialogue. Its not something new, Mass Effect has it, every Bethesda game has it, every TT game has it, its just a natural problem with those games because of how they have to stitch together dialogue to fit with different scenarios. Hell, I would argue that as generic as the writing is in Halo 5 it has way better performances and voice acting.

Im just saying, dont shit on the bad, awkward dialogue of Bethesda games and then champion shit like Life is Strange.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Sure, that game has heart. Im not saying its a bad game but lets not pretend that the dialogue and voice acting is great. It has the same problem that every choose your own adventure game has, stiff, awkward dialogue. Its not something new, Mass Effect has it, every Bethesda game has it, every TT game has it, its just a natural problem with those games because of how they have to stitch together dialogue to fit with different scenarios. Hell, I would argue that as generic as the writing is in Halo 5 it has way better performances and voice acting.

Im just saying, dont shit on the bad, awkward dialogue of Bethesda games and then champion shit like Life is Strange.

Agreed with that awkward dialogue delivery.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#229 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

AAAA for me and I don't care what the critics think. Next week is early Christmas for me, took a full week of vacation from the job , Fallout4-Halo5-Rise of the Tomb Raider-Black OPs. Bring it on

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Maroxad

Bethesda keeps providing us with Lulz,

http://i.imgur.com/xjZnfZu.jpg

The ending is being spoiled like crazy (without spoiler tags) on the steam forums, probably by channers (they did something similar with Harry Potter iirc). But man, the ending is equally pathetic and predictable.

Your son is the villain, and nukes the commonwealth or something like that.

Of course, that begs the question, "How can you spoil something that is already bad?".

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#231 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

The only S.P.E.C.I.A.L. thing that I see are those people who keep buying Assassin's Creed and COD every year. But seriously though I'm buying this day one

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Duh, It's a Bethesda Fallout game. That means...

If you MUST have a go at it...avoid all retarded NPCs/dialogs and play a crazy survivalist type that shoots anything that moves.

Oh yea, try and pretend it's not called Fallout.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Maroxad said:

The ending is being spoiled like crazy (without spoiler tags) on the steam forums, probably by channers (they did something similar with Harry Potter iirc). But man, the ending is equally pathetic and predictable.

Of course, that begs the question, "How can you spoil something that is already bad?".

But the gameplay and immense world to explore!!111

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 texasgoldrush

@jg4xchamp said:

Which was improved drastically by Episode 3, and for the most part, they did a good job. Also simply put, writing teenagers is difficult. At least they did not make them talk as adults...that's another mistake.

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

And yet Mass Effects voice acting is highly praised, considered as one of the all time greats, and Shepard considered to be Jennifer Hale's signature role.

Once again, I have to tell you this over and over, since you are not getting it....but Hannah Telle's (Max) and Ashly Burch's (Chloe) performances are widely praised. That's 70% of the games dialogue. Their acclaim goes against what you think.

I shit on Bethesda because they are poor writers...not only dialogue, but in everything.

@Maroxad said:

So that rumor is true....ugh.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#235 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Excited to play this, even though I am expecting some bad writing with dialogue, characters and story. The improved shooting and the base building looks dope.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: it's highly praised because people have low standards.

Idk why you keep bringing up what other people think. Its irrelevant to the awful voice acting and writing.

Life is Strange is also poorly written yet you praise that. Makes no sense.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

Just watched some of the leaked vids, and holy **** those animations.

How does Bethesda keep on getting away with this?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#238 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@moistcarrot said:

Just watched some of the leaked vids, and holy **** those animations.

How does Bethesda keep on getting away with this?

yea its pretty ridiculous... even the Pirhana Bytes have managed to improve their animations with the Risen series and i'm sure their budget is nowhere close to Bethesda's. Its hard to believe that the developers think these animations are acceptable in 2015.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Textures will be so next gen that an open world game made specially for current gen is 24gb.

rektmuhface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 rektmuhface
Member since 2015 • 455 Posts

When I started playing Fallout 4 my mom came to my room and saw me playing. She asked me if I took out my Gamecube from the basement. Moms.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@silversix_ said:

Can we please calm our package? HoT is the shittiest expansion i have ever purchased, its unbeatable at this point. No way in hell Fallout 4 will be worst, come on... **** HoT is bad, though god damn...

Neither of them are the worst. But both are pretty bad.

• Leaked Screenshots lack shadows
  • Dumbed down character system to the point where attributes have become perks, no skills either. Just perks
  • Banal perks, where roughly 80% of all perks are "do activity x a% better"
  • Hamfisted writing done by a writing department who clearly couldnt be arsed researching the setting.
  • A dialogue wheel that was worse than what everyone feared. Paraphrasing is woefully inaccurate. Perhaps even worse than what Mass Effect 1 did.
  • Reduced emphasis on emergent gameplay. Fallout 3 at the very least would let you sneak through several missions. In here, sneaking has been quite heavily de-emphasized.
  • Graphics that are at 2008 levels.
  • Gameplay footage would indicate a complete absence of challenge. With most enemies dying in a few hits, and you being a walking tank.
  • Gunplay below Call of Duty's already low standard.
  • Limited dialogue, you can only ask each NPC one thing.
  • Dice Rolls for dialogue options rather than threshholds (What were they thinking?)
  • No weapon durability
  • Still the same minigames to hack and pick locks.

Holy shit, dude...

It's plain as day at this point that you're just EXTREMELY butthurt that Fallout isn't the top down, isometric RPG that it was 15 years ago.

Say what you want about Bethesda's RPG elements degrading since Morrowind (I would agree)...but to act like Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim are shit games is just fucking ridiculous.

Edge_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#242 Edge_Plus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

So for people have played F4 early, is this better than 3 or NV or is it worse?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 jg4xchamp

@texasgoldrush said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Which was improved drastically by Episode 3, and for the most part, they did a good job. Also simply put, writing teenagers is difficult. At least they did not make them talk as adults...that's another mistake.

Eh episode 4 really, it was still pretty awkward in Episode 3. And the dialogue hardly ever becomes good by episode 4 and 5, the script in Life is Strange is quite poor.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#244 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59197 Posts

@edge_plus said:

So for people have played F4 early, is this better than 3 or NV or is it worse?

Most likely people will praise it to high heavens, taking reviews as fact then a month later

"oh"

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: it's highly praised because people have low standards.

Idk why you keep bringing up what other people think. Its irrelevant to the awful voice acting and writing.

Life is Strange is also poorly written yet you praise that. Makes no sense.

You are outnumbered, along with The Witcher 3, Life is Strange has the highest attach rate for a game this year, and on Steam with 27,000+ reviews, its overwhelmingly positive. If the game was so poorly written and voice acted, it would not have the success its been having.

There were problems with some of the dialogue in the first episode. DONTNOD listened to the feedback and improved the writing for the remaining episodes.

You are in the minority, that makes your opinion more irrelevant than the opinions of the majority you claim to be irrelevant.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: great, so lots of people like bad writing and voice acting. Still not sure what your point is. Mass effect is insanely popular despite bad/awkard voice acting. Like I said, all choose your own adventure games have the same problems and so far they can't compete with more focused games like TLOU or even games with a mediocre story like Halo 5.

Don't bother replying if you don't have an argument besides "durrrrrrr it gets good reviews durrrrrrr" because right now you're basically running in circles chasing your own tail.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if even Gabe Newell is buying and playing the shit outta this game. I feel like this is the biggest game of current gen, everywhere i go everyone is talking about it lol

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 texasgoldrush

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush: great, so lots of people like bad writing and voice acting. Still not sure what your point is. Mass effect is insanely popular despite bad/awkard voice acting. Like I said, all choose your own adventure games have the same problems and so far they can't compete with more focused games like TLOU or even games with a mediocre story like Halo 5.

Don't bother replying if you don't have an argument besides "durrrrrrr it gets good reviews durrrrrrr" because right now you're basically running in circles chasing your own tail.

No, they don't have the same problems. Mass Effect's voice acting is regarded as excellent and one of the best voiced game series in the medium. They may have animation problems, but the actual voice work is universally praised, outside say Martina Sirtis and Jessica Chobot. So quit talking out of your ass.

And most focused games, if not 99% of them, have weaker voice acting than the Mass Effect series.

Some of the characters voices of Life is Strange aren't great, yes I admit that....but the VA's for Max and Chloe are universally praised, with Episode 4 a special mention.

I am not even a fan of Ashly Burch...I think she irritates me at times, but I have to give credit where its due....she put in an award worthy performance.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Maroxad

@frank_castle: I rate games based on not how RPGish they are, but what they get right.

It would be hypocritical of me to love Skyrim with Requiem and Fallout: New Vegas otherwise. Problem is, that recent vanilla Bethesda games havent gotten anything right. If Fallout 4 was a good shooter, I would be more than happy, especially considering the shortage of good shooters as of late, with the majority of AAA shooters becoming (ugh) cover based. Unfortunately, I dont see a compelling reason to play this over say... S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat. Lack of Turn Based Isometric gameplay is not a problem, however, it is a symptom. Check out one of my previous links regarding on why Bethesda will never make a good Fallout game. There are no Fallout 4 spoilers inside, so dont worry.

The real problem with recent bethesda game is that they are action games pretending to be RPGs. The RPG elements get in the way of the action elements and you get a game that does neither right. They are less than the sum of their parts. At higher levels, HP bloat would become serious issues in all 3 recent Bethesda games. And everything the game do comes accross as half baked. An all you can eat buffet doesnt sound so compelling when all they offer at the buffet is 200 year old food, am I correct?

Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game, and while it was fun for the first few hours. It didnt take too long for the flaws of the game to wear down on me. After playing a real FPS (STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl) and a real RPG (Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game), I found myself asking "wtf was I playing?!?".

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: you couldn't even follow simple instructions. How sad.