Ex- Windows Phone Engineer Working on New Nintendo Console.

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Here is an interesting topic.

We already know that Nintendo is working on their next video game platform, but what might be of interest to a few of you is that one of the people working on the project was previously a senior software developer for Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. It would make sense for him to be working on a successor to the Nintendo 3DS as his skill set implies that he’s a mobile developer, then again he’s also been doing some work on the Wii U. ~MyNintendoNews.

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/19/ex-windows-phone-software-engineer-working-on-next-gen-nintendo-consoles/

The Ex Engineer's name is Lu Yang. Here is his...Stuff.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/lu-yang/6/596/2ba

So...NintenPhone? The NX is a handheld system? (Which, announcing one a year after the NEW3DS will upset a lot of people who JUST bought one.) Or could this be some kind of new OS for the NX? Hard to say, really.

IMO, it could ethier be a "gimmick", or some up to date OS. (For the Nintendo NX) I'd rather for it to be the latter. Please...Pretty please with sprinkles on top...Just don't screw this up Nintendo.

Thoughts?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Awesome! Windows Phone 8.1 is great as a mobile OS, it's about time Nintendo gets someone that knows how to make Quality mobile OS

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PikachuDude860

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Awesome! Windows Phone 8.1 is great as a mobile OS, it's about time Nintendo gets someone that knows how to make Quality mobile OS

Or...Home console OS???

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PikachuDude860
Loading Video...

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

Nintendo is a scumbag of a company. I was once a hardcore nintendo fan until I educated myself. They screwed over Sony with working with them on the Cd add on only to stab them in the back to go to phillips, they have treated 3rd parties like garbage in the past and have just come off as arrogant. Nintendo is irrelevant these days.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

Nintendo is a scumbag of a company. I was once a hardcore nintendo fan until I educated myself. They screwed over Sony with working with them on the Cd add on only to stab them in the back to go to phillips, they have treated 3rd parties like garbage in the past and have just come off as arrogant. Nintendo is irrelevant these days.

You do realize Sony was pretty evil in that gen too, right?

Besides that, widely irrelevant to the thread.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

windows phone is crap, everyone likes android phones

nintendo needs to team up with apple an android over windows phone if it wants to reach mainstream kids across the world

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@ProtossX: You know nothing of windows phone! Its highly more stable and optimized than crappy Android and iOS

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@ProtossX: Did you even read....nvm. I'm sure you didn't.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts
@gamevet77 said:

@gamevet77 said:

Yep, Nintendo want Youtuber's money now...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

**** sony and **** philips...

LOL

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FireEmblem_Man

@pikachudude860 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Or...Home console OS???

I didn't mention that nintendo is making a mobile OS.... I was just complimentary on the dev that is making the OS, as Windows Phone 8.1 is a very stable OS

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikachuDude860

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@pikachudude860 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Or...Home console OS???

I didn't mention that nintendo is making a mobile OS.... I was just complimentary on the dev that is making the OS, as Windows Phone 8.1 is a very stable OS

Hmm...So you did. My bad. lol.

This sounds like good news. Hopefully the NX will have a great stable OS.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I think the most interesting bit is that his profile said that hes working on unannounced consoleS. Plural. Not just one. Seems to be working on a handheld and console successor. Maybe all that unified platform or unified OS rumors have some ground after all.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

It could be that he is reconciling the 2 platforms and making sure that their OS work well together. It could also mean that the next NX Handheld will be a mobile version of a Wii U. Think about it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ProtossX said:

windows phone is crap, everyone likes android phones

nintendo needs to team up with apple an android over windows phone if it wants to reach mainstream kids across the world

This is typical stupidity from you. Nintendo didn't team up with windows phone. One of the engineers on NX has Windows phone on his resume.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#17  Edited By cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ProtossX: You know nothing of windows phone! Its highly more stable and optimized than crappy Android and iOS

Agreed. Being less popular doesn't make it bad. But take it from where its coming.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#18 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

This is going to turn out interesting

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

So, another tablet like Console?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Huh, no doubt will be running Windows 10 so it can play many of the PC/X1 games as well. :o Da NX... Nintendo Xbox here we come. :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@pikachudude860: Unfortunately, Nintendo's name has become synonymous with screwing up and being the butt end about jokes on what NOT to do. It's a meme at this point.

I know, I know, you've told me that they've learned. We'll see.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#22  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@gamevet77 so because they didn't release a snes CD add on (which would have failed Sega CD me 1)they are scumbags no I think the real scumbags are the company that allowed ppls bank info to get hacked or w e and the only thing they offer was psn games then didn't want to refund a guys 500$ instead they wanted to only refund 150 and told the guy if he peraued more they'd ban him that's a scumbag of. A company

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

That was a long time ago, back in the Hiroshi Yamauchi era. He was known for being a cut-throat, almost Yakuza-like, business man. It's not the same anymore under Iwata.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I like Windows phone, but the OS needs work. My wife's Lumia 1020 freezes for no reason.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FireEmblem_Man

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I like Windows phone, but the OS needs work. My wife's Lumia 1020 freezes for no reason.

Is it updated to Denim yet?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Just don't make it underpowered this time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

The end of Nintendo.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#28 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: No, Denim isn't available yet for that model on AT&T. Nor my Lumia 925. It's infuriating.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

@ProtossX: Windows phones aren't crap! They're waaaaay better then Android and iOS!!!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireEmblem_Man

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: No, Denim isn't available yet for that model on AT&T. Nor my Lumia 925. It's infuriating.

I have a Lumia Icon, you don't no what it means to be infuriated to wait a long time for Windows Phone 8.1. But at least I got Denim last Feb

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

In my honest opinion, if NX manages to be something from Nintendo that's cool again, with third party support and their first party in full swing, PS4 would kiss my bum goodbye as my primary console for the gen. I know Nintendo fans are tired of hearing it, but imagine if the NX was like the SNES with significant power over the other two and full third party support along with third party exclusive support too. A no nonsense controller similar to WiiU Pro with their own slant on the shape. Good online and make it look like the console to own. Right now the PS4 ticks most of those boxes bar the online not being as good as Live and the controller has it's few gimmicks and flaws. But Nintendo achieveing the same would make a bigger impact to me. Right now Sony domination is almost to be expected. Nintendo domination would spice things up a bit.

The main problem is the image Nintendo have created with the Wii and WiiU. They are like the outliar company that does what they do and doesn't engage in competition. And the average person never mentions Nintendo consoles anymore along side PS and Xbox. That's a huge problem for them and if they want to keep having the financial backing to release new hardware, they need another successful generation and even if third party support doesn't win them the gen sales wise, it will still do them good to be marketing a big multiplat every once in a while. Because contrary to what some of you Nintendo fans believe, Nintendo can't keep making WiiU's and ''do their own thing''. They can't afford it.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The worlds first computer was designed and built by a post office engineer!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Must be a slow news day.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@gamevet77 said:

That was a long time ago, back in the Hiroshi Yamauchi era. He was known for being a cut-throat, almost Yakuza-like, business man. It's not the same anymore under Iwata.

Don't tell that to YT'ers, especially the likes of Angry Joe, RTU, BB, and DSP, who have all compared them to organized crime (Mafia, Yakuza, Triad, you name it) or totalitarian governments. Worse yet when THREE of those four YT'ers claim to be "lifelong Nintendo fans" when evidence proves them otherwise (especially the case for DSP).

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

1. The Nintendo/Sony project is pretty well known. It's also very old. And hey, it gave us the Playstation so, alls well that ends well.

2. Nintendo has bad relationship with third parties? OMG CALL CNN! CALL FOX NEWS! GET GAMESPOT ON THE PHONE! THIS JUST IN!

You must be living in the year 2000 or something. It's 2015 now.

Irrelevant...yeah because amiibos sold so poorly...oh wait...well that new 3ds didn't sell well either...oh wait....well its' not like the Wii U had the best exclusives last year...oh wait....well no one even remembers who mario is anymore.....oh wait.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:

@gamevet77 said:

Don't tell that to YT'ers, especially the likes of Angry Joe, RTU, BB, and DSP, who have all compared them to organized crime (Mafia, Yakuza, Triad, you name it) or totalitarian governments. Worse yet when THREE of those four YT'ers claim to be "lifelong Nintendo fans" when evidence proves them otherwise (especially the case for DSP).

I was thinking about when rap artists used to sample popular songs and then sell them without getting permission or paying the original writers for the rights.

The music industry came down real hard on rappers for doing this. This created a precedent that if you sample a song you have to pay them to use it. You are not entitled to make money using someone else's copyrighted material.

So today musicians are protected from having their work stolen. And no Whitney Houston's version of "i will always love you" is not FREE ADVERTISING for Dolly Parton's original version.

I hope Nintendo's creator program starts a trend. People need to wake up the same way rap artists in the 90's had to learn. Just recently Jay Z had to pay courtney love for using a few lines from smells like teen spirit.

Youtubers are living in an entitled fantasy land. Their day is coming. The end is near.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

If it means Nintendo gets something that resembles a functioning online system then good I guess. Their network short comings are ridiculous at this point. Now how about some actual strong hardware, a better indie program/third party program, and oh yeah they actually flex their creative muscles.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide

@jg4xchamp said:

If it means Nintendo gets something that resembles a functioning online system then good I guess. Their network short comings are ridiculous at this point. Now how about some actual strong hardware, a better indie program/third party program, and oh yeah they actually flex their creative muscles.

Internet fanboys remind me of the whole hooplah behind snakes on a plane.

Fans demanded they keep the name. Fans demanded they make it R rated. Fans demanded they add a certain famous line to the movie.

Then no one shows up to watch it in theaters.

I think the last thing Nintendo should do is listen to people who have no plans to ever buy their hardware.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide

@ni6htmare01 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@gamevet77 said:

You do realize Sony was pretty evil in that gen too, right?

Besides that, widely irrelevant to the thread.

What did Sony do this Gen that is consider pretty evil? Pay PSN?

The way people say EVIL is crazy to me. Hitler was evil. Killing children is evil. Rape is evil.

Mistreating third party developers is..far from EVIL. The internet, never short of hyperbole.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

lol

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FireEmblem_Man

@Heil68 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

lol

Sorry if I'm speaking the truth, Mr. Fake Cow :P

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

I think their indie program can be very good its very copy and paste and easy to release indie games on their systems. Shovel Knight did pretty good from what I've heard. They just need to get more indie games.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Windows phone lol

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

@pikachudude860: i dont think NX is the next console or the next handheld. i think its the OS itself. nintendo keep referring to it as a platform.

in other words i think NX will run on whatever handheld and console nintendo have next gen (which will have other code names).

we know nintendo are trying to streamline their development process and get themselves into a position where they can use the same tech and assets and make porting games easier between systems. having a common OS is a part of the solution to that problem.

its hard to say what form nintendos next console and handheld will take though.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It makes sense to hire a Windows phone engineer for their next console he quickly realised his phone was as powerful a games machine as the Wii U and knew his luck was in. Dream partnership.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

So...NintenPhone?

No

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Oh NO!..Nintendo WiiUMii phone..its happening!!. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#49 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It would lend some weight to the idea that the NX is a sort of hybrid console, or at least has a console and handheld component.

I highly doubt that the NX will be released within the next year, or even the next two years. It just seems too early. If it were to launch in late 2017, that probably wouldn't be unreasonable - then it would at least fall in line with a 5-year release cycle.

...Unless it is some sort of hub device that connects existing Nintendo devices. Then maybe we could see such a thing sooner.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

this is going to be great.