EU rules publishers cannot stop you reselling your downloaded games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

sounds like a major blown against steam,origin and developers too

eurogamer

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
How the heck do I resell a downloaded game?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
How the heck do I resell a downloaded game?charizard1605
I'm wondering this too.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Lol I'd love to see how this will be enforced.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 parkurtommo
So basically it's selling the license (CD key for example).
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]How the heck do I resell a downloaded game?parkurtommo

Sounds like it'd be a pain.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I'm wondering this too.

Maybe if copy protection is taken out you'll see peeps selling flash memory loading with games for sale on ebay. Just a random thought, don't hurt me :P
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Wow, the legislators need to get on this. Thsi is absolutley an outdated law/interpretation of a law. It is unworkable and unfeasable.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Wow, the legislators need to get on this. Thsi is absolutley an outdated law/interpretation of a law. It is unworkable and unfeasable.

Kinthalis

what do you mean by outdated law? i think this was passed today

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Wait,so this would mean Steam,and similiar services couldn't force you anymore to permanently tie your games to their DRM app?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parkurtommo

Wait,so this would mean Steam,and similiar services couldn't force you anymore to permanently tie your games to their DRM app?

Rocker6
Valve and EA trolled by EU :p
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
This will result in nothing more than a terms of use change I'm betting.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
I'm wondering this too.

sell your account.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

This makes no sense. Yes they can't "stop" you, but that's because they woudn't have to. You can't sell a downloaded game and they know that. What a silly, outdated law...

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
This will result in nothing more than a terms of use change I'm betting. JohnF111
Derp, that's the whole point. Those terms of use are illegal and can't forbid you to sell your games, no matter what's in there.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

This makes no sense. Yes they can't "stop" you, but that's because they woudn't have to. You can't sell a downloaded game and they know that. What a silly, outdated law...

Shenmue_Jehuty
technically since the only method of selling your games would be to sell the account then it being your only avenue I believe its covered under the law by proxy I could be wrong.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocker6

Shenmue_Jehuty

How so?

You separate and remove your game(license,CD-key,etc) from your Steam account,and transfer it to another user's account...

Sounds pretty doable to me,as long as these services make separating possible.And this law would force them into it...

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Shenmue_Jehuty
Did you people even read the article? It's basically about selling CD keys. "The ruling suggests that if you've bought a license for a game off your mate, you're within your rights to download it from the publisher's website."
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 parkurtommo

But what about illegally generated CD keys?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JohnF111

Shenmue_Jehuty
It's very possible to sell a downloadable game, in fact it could be much easier than physical, imagine a button on Steam next to your games, you click this button labelled "Sell" and you put in a price you want for the game. Then you get possibly an option to sell it to someone personally or add it to maybe Steam Game Market and there you go.... The game disappears from your game list and you can no longer say you own that game. Easy!
SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

This makes no sense. Yes they can't "stop" you, but that's because they woudn't have to. You can't sell a downloaded game and they know that. What a silly, outdated law...Shenmue_Jehuty

It's not silly if you would do a little research first.

The judgment / precedent was based on dispute between Oracle and some German company called Usedsoft, which apparently has been buying out licenses from former customers of Oracle and reselling them. It's not all about games and games' DD. The ruling has been made for all kinds of software and methods of selling it and just because the games and games' DD currently don't have efficient means of reselling digital copies, it does not mean that other softwares don't either or that the decision might not be useful in future.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Waltefmoney will be pleased. The EU bailing him out again :lol:
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Nintendo is working on people to allow that on the Wii U.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Hopefully this'll give it a good crack at being brought to NA.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#25 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I didn't know you could resell downloaded games.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Take that Steam! This is only fair.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

"resell". The steam forums will be full of people trading their games with each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Probably means that Valve or others cannot ban you for selling your account, which Valve has done couple times in the past.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Hmm, this seems interesting. Hopefully this passes on the US too, although I'm not too optimistic. Valve and EA will try their most to not let this pass.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

So how does this work? I mean, I can't sell a game i own on steam, because i'd have to sell my entire account. I guess the only way is to open a new account for each game purchase.

actually, on further thought, it would be smart for Valve to allow sales of their digital licences through steam, then they can take a cut (%) and its win win for them and gamers.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

So how does this work? I mean, I can't sell a game i own on steam, because i'd have to sell my entire account. I guess the only way is to open a new account for each game purchase.

actually, on further thought, it would be smart for Valve to allow sales of their digital licences through steam, then they can take a cut (%) and its win win for them and gamers.

Phazevariance

It is for some services that will allow you to sell digital copies of the games.

The Wii U is supposed to have a service where the user can sell used downloads to other users.

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

This is a huge punch to the face to Steam and its DRM bullsh*t! Down with DRM services like Steam, Origin etc..

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rocker6

This is a huge punch to the face to Steam and its DRM bullsh*t! Down with DRM services like Steam, Origin etc..

Click_Clock

Yeah,let's hope this all goes well.No more games permanently locked on a DRM clients would be awesome :)

Also,this decision is made by The Court of Justice of the European Union,a court that has a very high legal power,so there's a good chance of this law going into effect.Only it will probably take a year or two for it to happen...

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Phazevariance

Well Steam can just transfer the game from your account to another one. That is easy but will Valve do it? There must be some kind of limitation so people don't abuse it though. Pay a fee for example for every resell you do.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]How the heck do I resell a downloaded game?charizard1605

Sounds like it'd be a pain.

The ruling may require sellers of digitial content to provide tools to sell the content to other users.

That's a pretty awesome ruling.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Hmm.. I just realized one thing: This ruling also means that future consoles can't stop used game sales in EU.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rocker6

Hmm.. I just realized one thing: This ruling also means that future consoles can't stop used game sales in EU.

Icarian

Good point :)

In any case,if the law properly goes into effect,this is a massive win for consumer rights!

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

Rocker6

Good point :)

In any case,if the law properly goes into effect,this is a massive win for consumer rights!

Might bugger the DD industry and mean no more huge sales. No thanks I'm happy with it the way it is and my guess the majority of PC gamers are too. All too often legislation means a mess and this is just likely to mean more DRM and less content for non-initial buyers.
NightTerrorX99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NightTerrorX99
Member since 2008 • 2399 Posts
[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

JohnF111
It's very possible to sell a downloadable game, in fact it could be much easier than physical, imagine a button on Steam next to your games, you click this button labelled "Sell" and you put in a price you want for the game. Then you get possibly an option to sell it to someone personally or add it to maybe Steam Game Market and there you go.... The game disappears from your game list and you can no longer say you own that game. Easy!

Yeah. If there WAS a "Sell" button on your Steam program. There isn't and the law doesn't make them have to allow you to sell their games to others. It makes no sense. How do you effectively and feasibly sell a downloaded game?
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

[QUOTE="Phazevariance"]

edidili

Well Steam can just transfer the game from your account to another one. That is easy but will Valve do it? There must be some kind of limitation so people don't abuse it though. Pay a fee for example for every resell you do.

Thats why the sale would have to be through steam. One player would pay the other player for the game, and on completion of the sale, the license transfers. This gives steam the ability to take a cut since they are part of the sale.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

NightTerrorX99

Yeah. If there WAS a "Sell" button on your Steam program. There isn't and the law doesn't make them have to allow you to sell their games to others. It makes no sense. How do you effectively and feasibly sell a downloaded game?

It's not much different from Gifting a game except to receive the game you have to pay a bit of money, it's not hard. You make it sound like Steam has absolutely no ability to add a "Sell" button next to each game. It's certainly not a five year project that requires millions of dollars to implement, the "Game Market" I mentioned would be the most of the work but again nothing a small team of developers can't handle.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
the drm dissagrees though.