Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psyonix-is-joining-the-epic-family-/

"No, really. What does this mean for Rocket League?"

In the short term, nothing will change at all! We’re still committed to providing Rocket League with frequent updates that have new features, new content, and new ways to play the game for as long as you’ll have us.

In the long-term, we expect to bring Rocket League to the Epic Games store and to leverage our new relationship to grow the game in ways we couldn’t do on our own before. We believe that bringing Rocket League to new audiences with more support is a win for everybody.

ROCKINGFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ROCKINGFOOL
Member since 2005 • 1795 Posts

expect them to announce they will stop selling their game on steam store :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

The Epic Game Store is growing

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3139 Posts

@ROCKINGFOOL said:

Done! Via Verge:

As a result of the deal, Psyonix says it will have access to more resources to support Rocket League’s competitive e-sports league and, by late 2019, will bring the game to Epic’s PC storefront. After that, Rocket League will no longer be available on Valve’s competing Steam store.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Such weird timing. I literally uninstalled RL about half an hour ago. I love the game but some of the custom (MTX, I guess) sound effects gave me this strange dissociated feeling... it's hard to describe - like someone poking my brain through my ears, is as close as I can get to explaining, lol. Not pleasant. Just my problem I guess.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@zmanbarzel: And Tim Sweeney said he'd never do something like that. He officially just outlied Todd Howard.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

It sounds like Epic knows that they're riding a temporary Fortnite bubble, and they're trying to secure other popular multiplayer devs in order to try to control the next big thing.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2569 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Well, the internet won't like this one bit.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Unreal engine 5 is the future not overpriced Valve Index.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

How many people even play Rocket League?

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Begun the wars, have

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@zmanbarzel said:
@ROCKINGFOOL said:

Done! Via Verge:

As a result of the deal, Psyonix says it will have access to more resources to support Rocket League’s competitive e-sports league and, by late 2019, will bring the game to Epic’s PC storefront. After that, Rocket League will no longer be available on Valve’s competing Steam store.

That's not been decided..via the same article you posted ..

"Rocket League remains available for new purchasers on Steam, and long-term plans will be announced in the future", an Epic spokesperson tells The Verge.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59022 Posts

Not really a game I give a shit about, but I feel sad for the people joining the axis of evil.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dxmcat
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

Tencent has 40% of epic, while only 5% stake of other big gaming companies.

So yea, China just buying their way through. I thought Msoft was bad with their $ timed exclusives........haha.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11798 Posts

Not really surprising because the devs sold Tencent the rights to sell the game in China and blocked the Steam version in China so Chinese gamers are forced to use WeGame if they wanted to play Rocket League. Now they've full sold out to Tencent by letting Epic Games buy them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@dxmcat said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

So yea, China just buying their way through. I thought Msoft was bad with their $ timed exclusives........haha.

Well, various sources have Tencent at 40-50% but again that does not mean this does not come from them.

Why do you think it comes now? and not before when Epic didn´t have a massive Tencent to back them.

But ya China is def. buying their way in the world so they can begin to control it, just look at the Huawei news.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dxmcat

@Jacanuk: It comes now because their coffers are stocked with all the fortnite money.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NoodleFighter

@dxmcat said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

Tencent are buying out games on Steam and making deals with publishers to release their games on the WeGame platform in China exclusively so Epic Games performing the same tactics as one of their share holders especially on a game their shareholder already bought a part of. Rocket League is basically owned by Tencent since Tencent already paid the devs the rights to sell the game in China and blocked it on Steam so Chinese gamers couldn't buy it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@xantufrog said:

We let them do this..... Majority of games is run by UE4

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts
@watercrack445 said:

How many people even play Rocket League?

I play it. Bought a Switch version.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dxmcat

Distribution rights are very different from outright owning a company, rofl.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Wow, the Steam fan brigade continues even in this thread. O.O

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Tencent already launched their own store on the Western front.

Epic and Sweeney are idiots if they dont think Tencent has already roadmapped their future to be fully assimilated into their WeGame business. Including other fools on this very forums lol

What is extremely weird is the very muted response from Steam though. It seems like they are very sluggish in their response, if there are even any plans.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

@briguyb13: I'm definitely not a Steam-exclusive PC gamer (I use GOG just as much, plus the Humble store, etc.).

You don't have to be part of the "Steam fan brigade" to predict that Epic's aggressive purchasing of exclusive rights is bad news for gamers, and the industry as a whole.

This isn't about friendly competition - they aren't offering a superior service that is naturally drawing away customers. Epic/Tencent are just outright trying to weaken Steam by investing their money in anti-consumer practices.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Planeforger said:

@briguyb13: I'm definitely not a Steam-exclusive PC gamer (I use GOG just as much, plus the Humble store, etc.).

You don't have to be part of the "Steam fan brigade" to predict that Epic's aggressive purchasing of exclusive rights is bad news for gamers, and the industry as a whole.

This isn't about friendly competition - they aren't offering a superior service that is naturally drawing away customers. Epic/Tencent are just outright trying to weaken Steam by investing their money in anti-consumer practices.

Well, whatever it takes to bring Steam down a notch or two.. good thing.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@xantufrog said:

We let them do this..... Majority of games is run by UE4

Just because we buy those games doesn't mean we support those practices though. It's why most of us buy games on GOG and Steam. You probably as well.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@Planeforger said:

Well, whatever it takes to bring Steam down a notch or two.. good thing.

All this stuff EPIC is doing to strong arm themselves into the DD platform. If you want to be on top you have to provide better options.... not forcing people with "take it or leave it" mentality forcing exclusivity with 3rd party titles on a open platform.....

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#32  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@dxmcat said:

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

You just figured this out. Hell, I knew this when we got gears of war models in UT2007 and they killed the franchise instead of making new ones. I was a huge fan back in the ut99 -ut2004 days. They can keep that trash teeneboper game fortnite. The fad can't die quick enough.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dxmcat
@Midnightshade29 said:
@dxmcat said:

This just confirms it.

You just figured this out. Hell, I knew this when we got gears of war models in UT2007 and they killed the franchise instead of making new ones. I was a huge fan back in the ut99 -ut2004 days. They can keep that trash teeneboper game fortnite. The fad can't die quick enough.

It was a downfall after 99;

2k4 seriously overrated.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NoodleFighter

@Midnightshade29 said:
@dxmcat said:

This just confirms it.

Gears Of War was originally going to be an Unreal game called Unreal Warfare. So its likely they just used assets from that project on Unreal Tournament 3. They were trashcan to me when they started calling PC gamers pirates and said that everyone should only develop for consoles. They only good things they did for PC gaming after that was allowing the unreal engine to be accessible to indie developers and giving Tripwire interactive prize money which helped kickstart the Killing Floor and Red Orchestra series.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

What the point in buying old games... this is like Microsoft buying Minecraft after pretty much everyone already owned it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Rocket League is a serious game of the generation contender. People downplaying the game in this thread are either foolish or naive.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

@uninspiredcup: exactly. Do people not care that they're paying for China to dominate all entertainment?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Doesn't htis kind of thing happen all the time? I doubt this will affect Rocket League.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Asset stripping operation.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8477 Posts

Another prediction: Tencent will buy Bluehole completely.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

As long as they keep all future games on Steam as well as Epic, I'll be fine with it.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Another group of sellouts I will never support them again

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

LOL

Keep going Epic! Destroy Valve! They are the worst.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ajstyles: can you justify?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34626 Posts

There are smart people in the world. Then there are these guys.

@knight-k said:

Hermits getting f'd like usual.

Their overlords have them by the balls.

Also don't forget to buy that new 2080 RTX card for 1000 bucks there hermit, you need to be able to play your indie exclusives at 200fps now.

@ajstyles said:

LOL

Let me guess. You're Sony fanboys? Really stupid posts usually comes from those.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Litchie said:

There are smart people in the world. Then there are these guys.

@briguyb13 said:

Wow, the Steam fan brigade continues even in this thread. O.O

@knight-k said:

Hermits getting f'd like usual.

Their overlords have them by the balls.

Also don't forget to buy that new 2080 RTX card for 1000 bucks there hermit, you need to be able to play your indie exclusives at 200fps now.

@ajstyles said:

LOL

Let me guess. You're all Sony fanboys? Really stupid posts usually comes from those.

Nope. Maybe you're the "stupid" one for making such assumptions. I think both Sony and Steam are wrong for aggressively going after Japanese games by needlessly censoring them, while allowing Western games to be as over-sexualized as they want to be.

On the one hand, you might think these companies are being xenophobic, but on Sony's end, they are technically a Japanese company, but they've recently moved PlayStation headquarters from their homeland to California to usurp the ratings board by censoring content in their games.

I think in both companies' cases they're just too big for their own good and over-stepping their bounds.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34626 Posts

@briguyb13: It was a mistake to include your post. I removed it fast, but apparently you quoted me faster. Sorry man.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dxmcat

@Litchie: No need to "guess" considering their history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Litchie said:

@briguyb13: It was a mistake to include your post. I removed it fast, but apparently you quoted me faster. Sorry man.

Thanks man. From what I've seen since I've been back posting here lately, you're one of the good guys. :)