"Emotional" games are killing Gaming

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Yeah, God damn the devs who want an actual story in their games.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts
@dixonganesh said:

Without an emotional connection bto the characters, playing games would be pointless

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm not saying that every game needs good character work. I agree with you on that. But honestly I think we have more shallow mindless bro-dribble than we do TLOU, PLUS this looks nothing like TLOU. So it had a set-up to get you invested in the character for once. So what? I can guarantee the game is still going to be a violent bloodfest. This was CLEARLY a prologue meant to set the stage. By far the most interesting GoW I have seen

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Seems like everyone in here already played the next GOW except me...

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

So developers shouldn't try and tell a story?

Ok then.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

@Pedro said:
@dixonganesh said:

Without an emotional connection bto the characters, playing games would be pointless

Gaming is pointless. Games do not need to be emotionally driven. This direction in gaming is bogging down gameplay. The new God of War looks like cinematic mess akin to Uncharted 4 and Quantum Break.

I agree, games are just not fun anymore, just "tense" somehow and the gameplay is losing its role as a protagonist.

Vallixas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Vallixas
Member since 2016 • 27 Posts

^ Except Uncharted 4 was good and better than most of the exclusives released thus far on X1 or PS, Quantum Break was not.

Last generation it was multiplayer was killing gaming, now it's emotional games. I really wish people would just play the genres they like and stop with the drama already because other people like something different.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#58  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19666 Posts

It's nothing new. AAA gaming has been obsessed with emotion ever since the day Aerith died in 1997... Gamers were more emotional about Aerith's death than they were about Princess Diana or Mother Teresa.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Nah

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#60 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@junky-trunk:

God of War 3 was boss and emotional connection is SAVING storytelling games which is like, 80% of adventure, rpg, fps, tps, action games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jereb31 said:

From back when video game storylines meant something.

Take note ND, that there is the absolute cusp of perfection in storytelling.

I prefer when games don't play out like an interactive movie and the player transforms into a movie watcher. That is the de-evolution of story telling. Video game devs are sabotaging the medium by not designing the games to tell stories. Instead they take away control from the player to tell their overly generic story and the critics jizz in their pants from the awesomeness a movie narrative.

I prefer when FPS isn't employed as a genre......but I realize some people do like it so rather than whine about it.....I don't buy those games and let those that enjoy them...enjoy them.

Vallixas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Vallixas
Member since 2016 • 27 Posts

I wonder if the people who complain about AAA story driven games actually support the lower budget titles like Transistor.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@vallixas said:

I wonder if the people who complain about AAA story driven games actually support the lower budget titles like Transistor.

No, I'm pretty sure folks just like to complain.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

If "ruining" means selling a shit ton of copies then sure. Games have been telling stories for decades. The improved technologically has just made it possible to convey emotions on par with films now.

If all you want to do is run around and kill stuff(or other players) there are PLENTY of games you.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Seems like all of Sony's big titles have the same theme now. There is also a kid involved....lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

My first reaction when I saw GOW4 in action was ... man it looks like TLOU or Uncharted ... the way the camera moves and the way Kratos moves and then the emotional thing started and it felt like it was TLOU with a GOW skin.

It is too slow, emotional and I bet it will have crappy controls just like in TLOU. It is crappy beause the game feel like it should be faster and more action oriented but they purposely made it slows to add tension and a feeling of fear because your caracter doesn't react fast enough.

They should've just killed Kratos at the end of GOW3 and never bring him back like that. It will sell because this is obviously what sells now but it is quite a disappointment for me.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

when i was growing up, we didn't have stories for the most part. at least not any worth a dam. Hogans alley, duck hunt, nintendo olympics game, tetris, pacman, brick breaker, snake didn't have stories. and even ones that did were pretty lame and nobody cared like mario , contra, donkey kong , etc. Games were played because they were fun. These devs trying to be hollywood thing is out of hand