Elden Ring "gameplay" trailer is out. Releases January next year.

• 89 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@johnd13 said:

Looks more of the same. Dark Souls setting with open spaces. Combat reminds me a bit of Sekiro. Visually it's dated owing to it being a cross-gen title and I kinda hoped for Demons Souls Remake level of jaw-dropping graphics. All in all, not the most exciting reveal.

By 2030 Fromsoft might get there, and i am not even memeing. Unless they're using UE5 for the game after Elden Ring, we're very far from Demon's visuals made by Fromsoft.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34751 Posts
@johnd13 said:

Looks more of the same. Dark Souls setting with open spaces. Combat reminds me a bit of Sekiro. Visually it's dated owing to it being a cross-gen title and I kinda hoped for Demons Souls Remake level of jaw-dropping graphics. All in all, not the most exciting reveal.

Yeah, a little dissapointing.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts

@Juub1990: I don't totally agree, but you're not wrong either. I love medieval fantasy (dragons and knights included), and From does a wonderful interpretation of it through a Japanese lense. But it could be neat to see that applied to Egyptian lore as well. What would you like to see instead?

Personally, I would love to see From reimagine Armored Core. There is a lot of potential with that franchise, and I feel like they have never quite nailed it.

I'm sick of superheroes, fortnite art, magenta, overuse of particles and games/levels always being set during a sunrise/sunset.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 dimebag667

@Miyomatic: I can't speak for all the games, since I've only played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but at least with Demon's, there is so much. It's got a unique story that isn't forced on you, but there is tons of depth and texture; if you want to seek it out. The manual combat is more grounded and methodical, as opposed to other games that are more chaotic and cartoony. The sense of accomplishment felt, after defeating an area or boss that has been destroying you for hours is amazing. There are so many secrets and hidden systems that require more of you than most games. A big part of it was also a backlash to so many games that just grab your hand and walk you to the end credits.

But hey, if that's not your thang, it's not your thang. It saddens me to hear someone not love Demon's Souls, but maybe it's filling a void for me, that they don't have. But I would also say that they've stretched this series out a little too long.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

It looks great. I’m impressed with their willingness to take what they’ve established in the Dark Souls series to the next level. I also get the impression that it's a legitimate evolution of OOT's very basic concepts, such as riding horses to explore vast 3D fields, infiltrating dungeons and castles, and fighting mysterious monsters. Either way, I cannot wait to play it.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

And everyone saying it looks too similar to dark souls 3 or bloodborne... yea, and until the engine is changed, it always will.

To me it looks like a mix of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. How is this a bad mix of games?

What i don't get, tho, is that we were told this is Norse mythos, but where it at? I kinda expected the look to be much more similar to God of War. Not disappointed, tho. The levels looked varied af and all looked sweeeet.

That has nothing to do with an engine.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@lebanese_boy: this game isn't for you then

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I have to admit I'm surprised by all the people saying "meh looks like more of the same"

On the one hand, there seem to be notable differences from the more open feel to the more acrobatic combat to what seems to be a more explicit story

On the other hand, visually and thematically, what did you expect from a From colab with GRR Martin on a fantasy game (which we knew from the start)? Sexy space vampires fighting zombie shrubbery?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Is it just me or does that video look "flat"

Textures are not great, lighting not great, and colour not great

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

got to admit. the graphics looks so outdated. after playing demons souls remake, this look like an early ps4 game. but il take anything fromsoftware gave so still hype.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

So is like Demon Souls meets Lord of the Rings?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@dimebag667: Antiquity would be cool. To me Ancient Rome is far more interesting than any medieval setting. If we move outside of Europe, we could have gone to Mesoamerica (Aztecs, Incas etc), or the middle east (Mesopotamia, Persian empire), could have been medieval Africa like the Kongo Kingdom, Axum, or Ethiopia. There are hundreds of places to choose from over thousands of years but fantasy writer prefer to stay stuck in medieval Europe.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@Sagemode87: Indeed chicken, it may not be.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34751 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I have to admit I'm surprised by all the people saying "meh looks like more of the same"

On the one hand, there seem to be notable differences from the more open feel to the more acrobatic combat to what seems to be a more explicit story

On the other hand, visually and thematically, what did you expect from a From colab with GRR Martin on a fantasy game (which we knew from the start)? Sexy space vampires fighting zombie shrubbery?

Well, the trailer didn't show that much. How big the world is, what the combat system is like, etc.

Right now it looks like a more open Dark Souls, and that's pretty much it. As some people said, if it wasn't presented as Elden Ring, the first guess would be Dark Souls 4. Even the graphics looks the same as DS3. I think people had some other things in mind after Sekiro being very different from Dark Souls, and Elden Ring being said to be different.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PC_Rocks

@xantufrog said:

Something other than Dark Souls?

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

That is how a trailer is done.

If you don't think this looks like the bee's knees you're either

1) a mindless, frothy-mouthed Miyazaki hater, or

2) a mindless, frothy-mouthed Miyazaki hater.

On that note, don't hate Miyazaki-san. He is a very nice man.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

I'm disappointed that the game is not far from the Souls formula ... but this still looks great.

Even if i wanted something different, there is nothing wrong with the Souls formula, specially if the main From Software team is involved. I'm really interested to see what's new and what's going to be added from old games, personally i love different builds and differen styles so i wasn't a Bloodborne nor Sekiro fan in that regard. Also I have the feeling the horse riding will be more of a gimmick than a full feature, but let's see.

All in all ... it looks great.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#68 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

@sakaixx: Agreed! But still hoping it’s not delayed. Question: How long has ER been in development for?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

@wandering_halls said:

I don't think people hate Miyazaki. I think some folks had unrealistic expectations and some others wanted something completely different from the "usual" From Software game. I mean i guess they could have done a better work showing more gameplay but for a reaveal, it was great and it's much more better than the cringe fest EA did with Battlefield.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Prolly an awesome game, DS remake looked better graphically though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@pc_rocks: I think most Dark Souls is often quite derivative visually and thematically. The bosses are the stand-out distinctive feature IMO. So I don't see it - a grim GRR Martin fantasy world and story from almost any dev in that playing field would look along these lines in at least broad strokes.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:
@wandering_halls said:

I don't think people hate Miyazaki. I think some folks had unrealistic expectations and some others wanted something completely different from the "usual" From Software game. I mean i guess they could have done a better work showing more gameplay but for a reaveal, it was great and it's much more better than the cringe fest EA did with Battlefield.

Trust me, dude, there's some serious Miyazaki hate going on out there. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people call him a has-been, or a hack, or a nobody, etc. From Software in general gets a fair share of hate, clunky games that have no story, make no sense, yada yada. Bunch of rubbish.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

And everyone saying it looks too similar to dark souls 3 or bloodborne... yea, and until the engine is changed, it always will.

To me it looks like a mix of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. How is this a bad mix of games?

What i don't get, tho, is that we were told this is Norse mythos, but where it at? I kinda expected the look to be much more similar to God of War. Not disappointed, tho. The levels looked varied af and all looked sweeeet.

Oh please. It has everything to do with the engine. UE4, in many cases, suffers from the same issue. Reusing assets with the sameish texture and the same outdated lighting makes it look like an expansion in many ways.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

About as good as a reveal gets right here. Its here sooner than we thought.

The wide landscapes, the giant roaming beast that may or may not be hostile, the slick looking spells and fast combat, and what looks like a horse you can summon from air for some jousting ... From brought the goods for sure!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#75 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@sakaixx: Agreed! But still hoping it’s not delayed. Question: How long has ER been in development for?

You have to ask wenzen on this. I really dont care much about Elden Ring, Heck I will be extremely happy if they stopped development now and just concentrate on Bloodborne 2. Or Armored Core, that works too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 hardwenzen

@sakaixx said:
@brimmul777 said:

You have to ask wenzen on this. I really dont care much about Elden Ring, Heck I will be extremely happy if they stopped development now and just concentrate on Bloodborne 2. Or Armored Core, that works too.

They're not making BB2. Its a one n done kind of a thing lol

The game has been in development since early 2017. Enough time for it to be done on the 21st.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

I'd be interested in knowing how many people upset about it being similar to Souls are folks who have played 20 Zelda or Mario games.

Anyway this looks great, the flying horse shit is definitely something I want to see more on, as well as the the scale of the content, as it definitely looks a lot wider open. Only thing now is to fast forward time by 6 months.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

Oh please. It has everything to do with the engine. UE4, in many cases, suffers from the same issue. Reusing assets with the sameish texture and the same outdated lighting makes it look like an expansion in many ways.

Has nothing to do with engine. It looking like Dark Souls is due to art direction not with anything technical.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#79 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70256 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

@pc_rocks is correct.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

Has nothing to do with engine. It looking like Dark Souls is due to art direction not with anything technical.

You might not be able to tell, but i can pretty easily spot the similarities in UE4, BB engine and Frostbite 3. The game doesn't even need to be of the same genre or even the same dev.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

You might not be able to tell, but i can pretty easily spot the similarities in UE4, BB engine and Frostbite 3. The game doesn't even need to be of the same genre or even the same dev.

That's something different.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

That's something different.

It isn't. When you've spend a load of time playing games using the same engine, you notice similar meshes and the like instantly. Even tho it was made by completely different devs and isn't even the genre, i remember bitching about DA:I looking very BF3'ish. Same applies to BF5/BF1 to the Battlefront games.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 dimebag667

@Juub1990: Yeah, any of those places could be cool. Maybe someday.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts

So I see the From Software signature style but not seeing why George RR Martin had to get involved, and it doesn't look like the kind of game that needs a trigger warning beyond the normal ESRB buzzwords.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 hardwenzen

@lamprey263 said:

So I see the From Software signature style but not seeing why George RR Martin had to get involved, and it doesn't look like the kind of game that needs a trigger warning beyond the normal ESRB buzzwords.

Didn't he wrote the backstory of the world of Elden Ring? We're not gonna see this in a 3 minutes trailer.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@lamprey263 said:

Didn't he wrote the backstory of the world of Elden Ring? We're not gonna see this in a 3 minutes trailer.

I'm sure he was consulted for lore building. Then again, could just be a marketing schtick. Maybe it gave George a reason to keep pushing off GOT.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8370 Posts

Im so sick of the souls-like genre, it was cool at first because it was different, but now its just ridiculous. Like battle royal I'm sick of it. Do something else...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@lamprey263 said:

I'm sure he was consulted for lore building. Then again, could just be a marketing schtick. Maybe it gave George a reason to keep pushing off GOT.

If game is like Souls then all those lore and world building is pretty much dead and lost and require some youtube lore videos to find out the smallest details. Also the fans after watching will claim they already cried vs bosses even though all the lore you get is from equipment description and obsecure references in the boss room AFTER you beat the said boss.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 hardwenzen

@sakaixx said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@lamprey263 said:

If game is like Souls then all those lore and world building is pretty much dead and lost and require some youtube lore videos to find out the smallest details. Also the fans after watching will claim they already cried vs bosses even though all the lore you get is from equipment description and obsecure references in the boss room AFTER you beat the said boss.

It better be youtube worthy. I sure as hell don't want the story to be anything like Sekiro. Didn't require any youtubing, and easily the worse story of the fromsoft titles.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Looks great.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#91  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

We were expecting Dark Souls meets Game of Thrones.

Instead we get Dark Souls meets Breath of the World.

Not really seeing much Game of Thrones there.