Downplaying PS4 power advantage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

It's no secret 360 had the advantage in most multiplats. This was due to better GPU and easier development over the archaic PS3 architecture. Despite that, PS3 had a 10% power advantage but that advantage was hard to use and most devs didn't. Lems love to revel in multiplats differences no matter how negligible they are. PS4 is set to have a better advantage then 360 ever did. It's more powerful AND easier to work with. Yet,  Lems try to downplay. This is the same faction that say they only buy 360 versions if they have both consoles yet they desperately label the consoles as "the same" :lol:Has a new level of hypocrisy been met? 

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

and the point of this thread is?

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

I dont think anyones downplaying it, some fanboys just have wildly unrealistic expectations of what 40% more power means (ie.  it 100% doesnt mean 40% better visuals.)

Take SSAO for example.  Would anyone think it makes an image look "100%!" better?  No, almost certainly not.  It takes 100% the power the process though.  

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Who cares? Multiplats will be inferior on either console.
Avatar image for deactivated-63e66f5999640
deactivated-63e66f5999640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63e66f5999640
Member since 2005 • 495 Posts
I will have them both like last gen, they will be the same like last gen. Stop listening to the "tech experts" on this board. Shut up and play the console you prefer instead of having a hard on for one that you dont like.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Cows think wildly unrealistic.  At best you will get a 1080p to 900p multiplat , which I highly highly doubt. 

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Old, but good point. I expect to see some decent stuff from Sony (and MSFT,too) a few years down the pipe.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

All that power doesn't matter if the gameplay is still the same, stale trash.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

Cows think wildly unrealistic.  At best you will get a 1080p to 900p multiplat , which I highly highly doubt. 

XBOunity
So one will have clear graphics while the other will look noticeably blurrier in comparison? That translates to make the One look like it has lower quality textures due to the blurriness alone. Lems were nitpicking on most multi-plats claiming ownage on how the 360 version was superior in (what were the claims? 95%?) multi-plats - this time they do not have that advantage and they recessed in to a 'graphics don't matter, it is just a slight improvement'. They can call Cows hypocrites as much as they want.
EXLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 EXLINK
Member since 2003 • 5719 Posts

Cows over exaggerate the performance difference and Lemmings under estimate it. The true power difference lies somewhere in between the two biases; I'd guess around 20-30%, not 10% or 50%.

MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

It's no secret 360 had the advantage in most multiplats. This was due to better GPU and easier development over the archaic PS3 architecture. Despite that, PS3 had a 10% power advantage but that advantage was hard to use and most devs didn't. Lems love to revel in multiplats differences no matter how negligible they are. PS4 is set to have a better advantage then 360 ever did. It's more powerful AND easier to work with. Yet,  Lems try to downplay. This is the same faction that say they only buy 360 versions if they have both consoles yet they desperately label the consoles as "the same" :lol:Has a new level of hypocrisy been met? 

Sagemode87

I think you have a lot people that are aware of this but, try to act ignorant to the possibilities of this because they are in complete denial and are just butt hurt... But, then again, you do have a lot of people on here who truly are that dumb. Either way, we're not going to see any difference between PS4 and Xbone until well after atleast 3 years... Too many developers have made claims to this possibility for it not to be something to take in concideration. Even though John Carmack came out and said "both machines were assentially the same", it mostly sounds like something he just blurted out because they ARE assentially the same machines; But, John has yet to come out and say, he has worked with both machines so, I'll take the word of the developers who are and have made progress with both machines, and are saying otherwise... 

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

bloodlust_101

So one will have clear graphics while the other will look noticeably blurrier in comparison? That translates to make the One look like it has lower quality textures due to the blurriness alone. Lems were nitpicking on most multi-plats claiming ownage on how the 360 version was superior in (what were the claims? 95%?) multi-plats - this time they do not have that advantage and they recessed in to a 'graphics don't matter, it is just a slight improvement'. They can call Cows hypocrites as much as they want.

Yes I think multiplats will sway graphically towards the ps4, kinda the way it sways towards the 360 now.  The difference tho isnt going to show 40 to 50 percent as these cows are dreaming of.   I believe there will be parity for numerous reasons.   Like always with me, if I want power I will go with my pc, if I want online I will go xbo.    

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

900P silenced lems forever

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

[QUOTE="bloodlust_101"][QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

Yes I think multiplats will sway graphically towards the ps4, kinda the way it sways towards the 360 now.  The difference tho isnt going to show 40 to 50 percent as these cows are dreaming of.   I believe there will be parity for numerous reasons.   Like always with me, if I want power I will go with my pc, if I want online I will go xbo.    

Who cares if the difference actually equates to 40-50% better. Is that your way of downplaying it. It'll be a better difference than PS3/360 differences you Lems gloated about. Weren't you one of the lems bragging about the 2% differences in some PS3/360 multiplats? 

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Douevenlift_bro

Lems have gone from "Multiplats look better on 360"

to

"It doesn't matter if we run it at 900P as long as it plays the same"

tumblr_m7h27b2xnc1qbygev.gif

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1TheKingIAm
GFLOPS=355 VS 393
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1killzowned24
GFLOPS=355 VS 393

The ps3 has more due to the cpu and gpu>cpu for graphics
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killzowned24
[QUOTE="killzowned24"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1TheKingIAm
GFLOPS=355 VS 393

Yes. This gen is even bigger when combined,except PS4 has the GPU advantage too by 40% and is the easier to develop for= XBONED :D
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

Yeah, you need to be more specific. Generalizing is lame, and it just sounds like a load of shit.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts
I think SW as a whole needs to get educated on computer and software technology. Just because your system has better specs on paper doesnt always translate into better on-screen. It is going to depend on how the software is coded, and how the hardware interacts with itself. For example, what if deferred rendering engines dont play well with GDDR5 because of latency? What if X1s ESRAM is useless? What if the extra pipelines in PS4 are always dedicated to something else like the SPUs in PS3? What if X1s hardware is more efficient? All these unknowns make comparing raw numbers pointless. I dont know why we still waste time on this crap.
MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

[QUOTE="bloodlust_101"][QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Cows think wildly unrealistic. At best you will get a 1080p to 900p multiplat , which I highly highly doubt.

XBOunity

Yes I think multiplats will sway graphically towards the ps4, kinda the way it sways towards the 360 now. The difference tho isnt going to show 40 to 50 percent as these cows are dreaming of. I believe there will be parity for numerous reasons. Like always with me, if I want power I will go with my pc, if I want online I will go xbo.

If you wanted the best online, wouldn't that be on PC as well??? Just saying...:cool:

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

What? There is nothing to downplay... it would be if the gameplay videos (alias proof) showed any significant difference. 

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killzowned24

I think SW as a whole needs to get educated on computer and software technology. Just because your system has better specs on paper doesnt always translate into better on-screen. It is going to depend on how the software is coded, and how the hardware interacts with itself. For example, what if deferred rendering engines dont play well with GDDR5 because of latency? What if X1s ESRAM is useless? What if the extra pipelines in PS4 are always dedicated to something else like the SPUs in PS3? What if X1s hardware is more efficient? All these unknowns make comparing raw numbers pointless. I dont know why we still waste time on this crap.navyguy21

We know this isn't true by evidence of Killzone.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I think SW as a whole needs to get educated on computer and software technology. Just because your system has better specs on paper doesnt always translate into better on-screen. It is going to depend on how the software is coded, and how the hardware interacts with itself. For example, what if deferred rendering engines dont play well with GDDR5 because of latency? What if X1s ESRAM is useless? What if the extra pipelines in PS4 are always dedicated to something else like the SPUs in PS3? What if X1s hardware is more efficient? All these unknowns make comparing raw numbers pointless. I dont know why we still waste time on this crap.killzowned24

Were you on the development team?
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

ok, let's get one thing clear. X360 architecture is superior to PS3. No amount of fanboy wishful thinking is going to change that.

That hypocracy you speak of belongs to PS3 fans if they downplay that superiority and all of a sudden switch position on the aspect of which matter most for gaming, GPU or CPU.

Once that is acknowledged, you get to enjoy bragging about your precious underpowered PS4 GPU superiority over the other laughably underpowered X1 GPU.

Until then, MS fans could claim what they want and revel in the delusion of "X1 CPU poweah" all day long just as their brethren PS3 fans did last gen.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]I think SW as a whole needs to get educated on computer and software technology. Just because your system has better specs on paper doesnt always translate into better on-screen. It is going to depend on how the software is coded, and how the hardware interacts with itself. For example, what if deferred rendering engines dont play well with GDDR5 because of latency? What if X1s ESRAM is useless? What if the extra pipelines in PS4 are always dedicated to something else like the SPUs in PS3? What if X1s hardware is more efficient? All these unknowns make comparing raw numbers pointless. I dont know why we still waste time on this crap.navyguy21

Were you on the development team?

You weren't so cancel your previous post.

Apssei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Apssei
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts

The specs suggest that there is probably going to be a very noticable difference in favor of ps4 but there are many other factors that could narrow or widen the gap. While the architectures are similar they are not identical and there are of course differenses in os, drivers, apis and stuff like that. 

Also every game is being developed by different teams with different lead gaming platforms and with different policys regarding their relationships with sony and microsoft or even under the table deals that might happen.

But all these factors could benefit or hinder either console, like i said in the beginning what we know suggests ps4 to be noticeably ahead in the graphics-performance department everything else is guessing.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
This isn't fanboy wars, stop crying pal.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1TheKingIAm
CELL's SPUs is not quite a CPU nor it's a GPU. From IBM's own words, it's "DSP like".
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ronvalencia

ok, let's get one thing clear. X360 architecture is superior to PS3. No amount of fanboy wishful thinking is going to change that.

That hypocracy you speak of belongs to PS3 fans if they downplay that superiority and all of a sudden switch position on the aspect of which matter most for gaming, GPU or CPU.

Once that is acknowledged, you get to enjoy bragging about your precious underpowered PS4 GPU superiority over the other laughably underpowered X1 GPU.

Until then, MS fans could claim what they want and revel in the delusion of "X1 CPU poweah" all day long just as their brethren PS3 fans did last gen.

Mystery_Writer
PS4's PC like AMD GpGPU killed IBM's CELL's design path.
adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

Douevenlift_bro

so 1 game runs at 900p.. and that everything is horrible... say whaaaaaaaaat!?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ronvalencia

Sagemode87
Both Xbox 360 and X1 has two memory pools with different size and speed.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

adders99

So xbox one games are going to run in SD?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="adders99"]

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

tenaka2

1600x900p is not SD.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Mystery_Writer

It had a better GPU and was easier to use,also it had a memory advantage do to having a lower os foot print,that was about it,the PS3 had a way stronger CPU and more capable to,and the CPU and GPU work toghether very well unlike the Xenon and Xenos,where the Xenos basically did all the heavy lifting.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

Sagemode87

YES, naturally.   People only look at their advantages when it comes to blind fanboyism.  (ALL sides)  They ignore any attribute that disagrees with their construct that states, that their choice was the right one. If any information or general facts are strong enough they change the subject, point out any other unrelated feature. 

Many people just want to feel right, and no amount of facts, hypocrisy, or flip flopping will change that. 

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

bloodlust_101

The difference being the PS3 was hyped by cows as being far more powerful than the 360 by some ridiculous margin...for literally the whole of the last generation, yet was regularly getting multiplats which couldn't even match the supposedly inferior console, hence why it was mocked so, also hence why cows are so desperate for some silly redemption this gen, which it looks like they'll get, and no doubt make SW a place not worth visiting unless you belong to that faction.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

All that power doesn't matter if the gameplay is still the same, stale trash.

ChubbyGuy40

Pretty much this, coming from a primarily pc gamer, graphics have really plateaued and literally have become a crutch for multiple genres in which they just regurgitate sh!t with a new coat of paint.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

[QUOTE="killzowned24"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]The ps3 had a 10% power advantage where? Gpu>Cpu. Anyways, the ps4 is obviously superior to the X1TheKingIAm
GFLOPS=355 VS 393

Teh Cell was not a conventional multipurpose CPU like the one in your desktop. It was designed to assist in rendering graphics. Thats Why PS3 exclusives shit on 360 titles and why PS3 had the advantage in multiplats that were more graphically advanced like GTA 5, and Bioshock Infinite. Where 360 had the advantage in gamecube looking games games like Beyonetta and the Orange Box.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Douevenlift_bro
Why would you want a game to fail? Honest question.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="adders99"]

ronvalencia

1600x900p is not SD.

Well its pretty far from true HD. Perhaps the gen after xbox one will be proper HD.