Doom (4) , showcased on PC . First Details from QuakeCon

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Dsogaming writes :

During this year’s QuakeCon 2014, Bethesda revealed the first details for id Software’s upcoming Doom game that will be powered by id Tech 6. According to Marty Stratton, this new game will be called Doom and not Doom 4. In short, Marty confirmed that this will be some kind of a reboot of the franchise.

“Everyone at Id is excited to finally show you what in the hell do *you* need to be told about the heritage and legacy of DOOM?” said Marty and continued:

“Doom is an origin game, about fast, FAST paced combat. It’s about amazing guns and blood and gore and gibs. It’s the Doom game that we want to make and what you want to play.”

This means that Doom – contrary to Doom 3 – will feature lots of enemies on screen with lots of gore and gibs. Which is good because… this is Doom.

According to Marty, the game’s demons will be crazy and they are described as unbelievable mechanical demons built through corrupt UAC experiments.

Each of the demons is designed to create a unique combat experience.

As you’d expect, the game will feature lots of guns. Doom will sport both conventional and futuristic guns. Oh, and there will be some ‘BIG’ guns.

Marty claimed that Doom will be a fast-paced games and that players won’t have – and want – to sit behind a barrel and wait for their health to regenerate and there will be a lot of strafing.

Troy Swanson – who was present at Quakecon – claimed that Bethesda had a demo unit up and running. So yes, Doom is a thing and was showcased at QuakeCon 2014. Whether someone will manage to leak some footage from it is still unknown.

In addition, the art style of this new Doom game – or at least the demo that is being shown running on PC – is a lot like Doom 3 as there is blood on the floors, and particle effects everywhere.

What also surprised was the fact that there will be major body dismemberment. During the demo, the Doom guy ‘ripped the arm off of a dead corpse so that he could use the hand for biometric scanning.’ During another scene, a shotgun blast ‘blew a demon in two, after first blowing off his head.’ Players will also be able to cut right through demons.

Melee combat returns and there will be some close encounters as the game features a karate mechanic. Ironically, it seems that id Software was inspired by Brutal Doom as there will be some sort of fatalities in this new Doom title. Furthermore – and during the demo – there was a scene with tons of demons in a battle, during which the Doom guy was switching between plasma rifle and shogun depending on the range of enemy.

Marty also claimed that id Software targets 1080p + 60fps on both current-gen consoles.

Find out more info below :

Source

Find out EVEN MOAR info HERE !

In short :

• Runs on id Tech 6
  • Was showcased on PC
  • Will be fast paced with dismemberment system , and lot of gore
  • Will feature lot of guns
  • Will be called "Doom" and NOT "Doom 4"
  • Won't feature regen Health
  • Takes place on Mars
  • Demo took place inside some kind of research facility

IGN's coverage :

• Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.
  • Set outside a massive UAC research facility on Mars as it's being invaded by the forces of Hell.
  • Hellknights, cyberdemons, revenants, mancubii, and other classic monsters were spotted throughout the demo.
  • Classic Doom weapons, including the fan-favorite double-barrell shotgun return. Plasma rifle, rocket launcher, and the good old chainsaw were also shown off.
  • Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.
  • Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are "committed" to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second.
  • Wonderfully gory close range executions, including special ones for dropping down on enemies from above.
  • Revenants now have jetpacks and can hover about while firing rockets at you.
  • At least one weapon, the combat shotgun, has an alternate fire mode, which allows you to charge up and release multiple shells in rapid succession.
  • Sprinting, double-jumping and mantling are all possible, making for very fluid motion during combat.
  • Enemies can teleport in for old-school style ambushes
  • Dying results in a crazy fatality scene depending on what killed you a la Dead Space. Revenants rip your arms off and punch straight through your combat helment.
  • Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.

So far so good .

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

that is so peculiar mate. based on a different source i've got different information.

going back and reading my source again, it sounds like there's elements of the earlier games such as blasting through multiple enemies at once, and elements of doom3 such as the super tense atmosphere. but yeah pretty interesting.

not featuring regen health is fine by me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_imperium
@CrownKingArthur said:

that is so peculiar mate. based on a different source i've got different information.

going back and reading my source again, it sounds like there's elements of the earlier games such as blasting through multiple enemies at once, and elements of doom3 such as the super tense atmosphere. but yeah pretty interesting.

not featuring regen health is fine by me.

I'm glad regen health is not there .

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Doesn't matter if it's running on a pc. Most console games are shown on a pc, simply because it looks better.

If it's running with a control pad, the game is doomed.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

holy shit it's not using id tech 5?

There may be hope yet.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

No video?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cloud_imperium

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

There may be hope yet.

True

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3458593

While the PC component was applauded by the throng of PC enthusiasts, the use of a controller to play through the demo sections was a controversial choice that the crowd, understandably, did not appreciate.

Yep, pc a junior partner. Shadow Warrior or Hard Reset for men. Waste of time.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

There may be hope yet.

True

Not even joking I'm a lot more excited for this game now, it would be great if the graphical jump was as big as doom 3 was but I severely doubt it.

Hopefully the engine can do much more than just dark corridors.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

Game-play first and foremost, not looking good.

Much like Wolfenstein: The New Order, weapons are accessed via a weapon wheel (again, something that’s undoubtedly more relevant to controller wielders than keyboard/mouse aficionados

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

Don't see why PC gamers bitch about using controllers, some games are very horrible using KB/M(ie Dark Souls).

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@sam890 said:

Don't see why PC gamers bitch about using controllers, some games are very horrible using KB/M(ie Dark Souls).

But not fps.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@sam890 said:

Using a controller to play FPS is like using a brick to trim your nails.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Much like Wolfenstein: The New Order, weapons are accessed via a weapon wheel (again, something that’s undoubtedly more relevant to controller wielders than keyboard/mouse aficionados

OH FFS. please dont make it like Trash called wolfenstein new order. but apart from that game so far looks interesting. just want to see some gameplay myself.

Rage no matter how bad was has one of the best AI and gunplay ever. they both lack in new wolfenstein (like worst AI ever).

I think ID can do justice with it. otherwise next flying wild hog game will make it.

so far best thing is they ditch id tech 5 and are running on ID tech 6.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

Well im very much excited for this game. i dont think i have played any bad doom game (no doom 3 was amazing game)

it sound like they did it. i mean the AI and gunplay from Rage. with no ironsight, no regen health, fast paced gameplay in MARS!!!!

its best Upcoming game coming out. SO EXCITED. WOT WOT WOT!!!!

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@sam890 said:

But not fps.

Yes that's common knowledge :p.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@sam890 said:

Don't see why PC gamers bitch about using controllers,

This is an FPS though. It means the game will likely be slow paced and not twitch type in design if they showcased it via controller.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

This is an FPS though. It means the game will likely be slow paced and not twitch type in design if they showcased it via controller.

Exactly. like wolfenstein. it was extremely slow game with iron sights.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

can't wait to play it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cloud_imperium

@system-reboot said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Finishers (During Melee Combat) mentioned in Doom's first impressions from various websites , worries me a little bit . Hopefully , it'll be more like Shadow Warrior and not "Press V to crush him" kinda scripted stuff .

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

can't wait to play it.

looks cool innit bossman

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Cloud_imperium said:

@system-reboot said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Finishers (During Melee Combat) mentioned in Doom's first impressions from various websites , worries me a little bit . Hopefully , it'll be more like Shadow Warrior and not "Press V to crush him" kinda scripted stuff .

i dont mind as long as it doesnot have scripted follow path, broken forced stealth. QTE, ironsights etc.

now i believe that they are bringing FPS genre back to what make it amazing. especially after last generation FPS fatigue.

i mean now slowly every developers are ditches regen health, and 2 weapon limit. between this, unreal tournament, warhammer 40k space hulk, killing floor 2. developers finally awaken.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

iD Tech 6? Thanks **** its not on iD Shit 5.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Serious Sam can be played with a controller. That game is Doom in a brighter atmosphere. Also remember that Doom was originally designed for kb only. You turned and aimed on the kb which is slower and clunkier than a controller.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Sounds like a Doom game.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Serious Sam can be played with a controller. That game is Doom in a brighter atmosphere. Also remember that Doom was originally designed for kb only. You turned and aimed on the kb which is slower and clunkier than a controller.

What? Turns speed is far greater with K/M for games in first person view. These types of games just don't take advatange of analog 360 movement. Games that give you an overhead camera, or need you to control speed, i can see it.

In these games, WASD is perfectly fine, but the mouse is simply much faster and more accurate for aiming, looking and general pointing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

One does not turn with the keyboard. You strafe. The mouse turns, as a remarkably precise and incredibly fast speed. Like two lovers en-coiled they operate as one joint soul.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

What? Turns speed is far greater with K/M for games in first person view. These types of games just don't take advatange of analog 360 movement. Games that give you an overhead camera, or need you to control speed, i can see it.

In these games, WASD is perfectly fine, but the mouse is simply much faster and more accurate for aiming, looking and general pointing.

Wow dude! I said kb only which implies no mouse support then I say that the turning and aiming is done with the kb, and then you reply bringing up kb/MOUSE.

Doom came with no mouse support. You played with both hands on the kb. And once again turning and aiming is better on a controller than on a kb.

In short if the original Doom can be played with only a kb then being able to playing Doom 4 on a controller isn't a bad sign.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Cranler said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Wow dude! I said kb only which implies no mouse support then I say that the turning and aiming is done with the kb, and then you reply bringing up kb/MOUSE.

Doom came with no mouse support. You played with both hands on the kb. And once again turning and aiming is better on a controller than on a kb.

In short if the original Doom can be played with only a kb then being able to playing Doom 4 on a controller isn't a bad sign.

because doom was release in 1993 of course its too old game and no mouse support (however brutal doom has mouse support)

FPS is best play with keyboard and mouse. even my friend who is non gamer (or part time gamer) think keyboard and mouse is best to play FPS games.

controller only slower the gameplay.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Cranler said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Sorry about that. I'm used to the "km" and i read that has such. My bad. Anyway, i didn't play the original DOOM back then, sinc ei was abit to young anyway and was playing consoles.

But i didn't know that. Cool to know.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler

@system-reboot said:

@Cranler said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

because doom was release in 1993 of course its too old game and no mouse support (however brutal doom has mouse support)

FPS is best play with keyboard and mouse. even my friend who is non gamer (or part time gamer) think keyboard and mouse is best to play FPS games.

controller only slower the gameplay.

I prefer playing all sp shooters with a controller. I only use m/kb for mp.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Get your ass to Mars!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Did you even play Wolfenstein ?

Weapons could be accessed with the '1' '2' '3' ... buttons. So I don't even know what you are complaining about.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SYSTEM-REBOOT
@Cranler said:

Really? so what SP FPS you like that are great to play with controller?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cranler

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Sorry about that. I'm used to the "km" and i read that has such. My bad. Anyway, i didn't play the original DOOM back then, sinc ei was abit to young anyway and was playing consoles.

But i didn't know that. Cool to know.

No prob, I kind of overreacted.

@system-reboot said:
@Cranler said:

Really? so what SP FPS you like that are great to play with controller?

Any fps that supports a controller. Serious Sam is just like Doom and plays fine with a controller. The hd remakes even have fully remappable controls for the 360 controller.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Cranler said:

Any fps that supports a controller. Serious Sam is just like Doom and plays fine with a controller. The hd remakes even have fully remappable controls for the 360 controller.

Doom and serious sam has nothing in common. aside from fast paced gameplay

serious sam is more of a close linear game with horde of monster with no variety at all.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Weapons could be accessed with the '1' '2' '3' ... buttons. So I don't even know what you are complaining about.

At the behest of pc gamers crying "oh, it's not a bad console port, it's not bad" yes.

Sadly, it was Call Of Duty, with a weapon wheel. Seeing a weapon wheel at all with mouse and keyboard is barbaric.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

At the behest of pc gamers crying "oh, it's not a bad console port, it's not bad" yes.

Sadly, it was Call Of Duty, with a weapon wheel. Seeing a weapon wheel at all with mouse and keyboard is barbaric.

i dont mind it at all unless you can use 1 2 3. but what make wolfenstein bad was slow paced, iron sight, Fake health system (its regen health disguise as health bar. health can regen before you pic medikit), follow linear path, and worst of all AI and shitty level design.

so you are right. its call of duty with more weapons.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Mouse support was already widespread for MS-DOS by the time Doom came out. Doom certainly had mouse support which was used for turning. No mouse look yet since Doom didn't have free aim yet (not until Quake).

Doom had mouse support built-in from the beginning. Even the single-episode shareware version (in 1993) already had mouse support.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Read what he said before jumping in. He said that the original DOOM was designed with only the keyboard in mind, it was only later before they started to use the mouse to aim.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh yeah, sure. I'm the one crying.

You know what. You are pathetic. You claim the weapon wheel is forced in the PC version just so you could have an argument to cry about. I explained to you very clearly you can just use keyboard buttons and never have to use the weapon wheel once.

Continue your pathetic ways.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@sam890 said:

Then you never was a PC gamer before OR you never used a K+M combo for FPS. Im a big Counter Strike fan since 1.5... I dont even imagine to play that game with controller ... Id get my ass whooped instantly every single round

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the same engine for the evil withen , I read something weird , it was demonstrated in 2007 at 8 core pc ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh yeah, sure. I'm the one crying.

You know what. You are pathetic. You claim the weapon wheel is forced in the PC version just so you could have an argument to cry about. I explained to you very clearly you can just use keyboard buttons and never have to use the weapon wheel once.

Continue your pathetic ways.

My friend, using potty words and claiming you can use buttons is still... irrelevant.

Regardless of hotkeys, the weapon wheel... is a console hud build specifically for the xbox gamers. Call Of Duty scripted sequence promps. Poor optimization e.t.c...

As a hardcore pc gamer, seeing other supposed pc gamers say "oh oh oh, this game, so old school" when in fact, it's about as consoley console a console game can get, I feel surrounded by diet coke drinkers.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Read what he said before jumping in. He said that the original DOOM was designed with only the keyboard in mind, it was only later before they started to use the mouse to aim.

The shareware version preceded the full game by several months. It already had mouse support from the very beginning. Aim was limited to the X-axis because Doom didn't have a Z-axis for movement or aiming. But we still needed a mouse for lightning quick turns.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

The shareware version preceded the full game by several months. It already had mouse support from the very beginning.

Doom was on a horizontal play field though. Mouse support didn't make much of a difference.

I do know what people are getting at though and I tend to agree. That older era of fps where it was about shoot shoot shoot. The skill at the game was about how fast one could target while moving through the game. While I don't agree with pc fanboys complaining about a controller--it is just a different skillset--I do agree that games are designed differently depending on the input method.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, using potty words and claiming you can use buttons is still... irrelevant.

Regardless of hotkeys, the weapon wheel... is a console hud build specifically for the xbox gamers. Call Of Duty scripted sequence promps. Poor optimization e.t.c...

As a hardcore pc gamer, seeing other supposed pc gamers say "oh oh oh, this game, so old school" when in fact, it's about as consoley console a console game can get, I feel surrounded by diet coke drinkers.

This'll be my last reply to you. I have had better discussions talking to a brick wall

This is what I said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is how you interpret it:

@uninspiredcup said:

pc gamers crying "oh, it's not a bad console port, it's not bad"

@uninspiredcup said:

other supposed pc gamers say "oh oh oh, this game, so old school"

Wasting my time any further on trying to get something through your thick skull would in fact be pretty stupid of me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Heirren said:

Doom was on a horizontal play field though. Mouse support didn't make much of a difference.

I do know what people are getting at though and I tend to agree. That older era of fps where it was about shoot shoot shoot. The skill at the game was about how fast one could target while moving through the game. While I don't agree with pc fanboys complaining about a controller--it is just a different skillset--I do agree that games are designed differently depending on the input method.

Yes it did, especially in multiplayer. The term circle-strafe was coined during Doom's heyday. It was much easier to circle strafe with the keyboard + mouse combo than just the keyboard.