Do you really care if PS4 Pro doesn't have a 4K player?

• 131 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45460 Posts

Most people don't have a 4K TV and also, streaming seems to be more popular now than owning a physical disk. It doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. What about you, SW? Did Sony really make a mistake here?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#2 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Since I own an X1S? Nope. But the bottom line is, if you're a person that considered the 360 not having blu ray a negative, then the PS4 Pro not having 4K blu ray is a negative. Or you're a bullshit hypocrite.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Not really, no.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The only people who don't care are pretty much Sony fanboys hand-waving away Sony's mistake for not including one.

If they are touting 4K playback, then a 4K Blu-ray player is essential. I have a strange feeling that when it comes to commercial success, the XB1S is going to do better this holiday season for that very reason than the PS4 Pro. Everyone is now jumping on the 4K bandwagon, and like with the DVD player originally, it will be in high demand.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Most people don't have a 4K TV and also, streaming seems to be more popular now than owning a physical disk. It doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. What about you, SW? Did Sony really make a mistake here?

It is, when did that happen?

It sounds like you're trying to make excuses for Sony.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

General consumers care, and general consumers are the majority purchasing populous by a large margin, that's all that matters.

I couldn't care less what the hyperbolic idiots say around here.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

I wont be buying a 4k tv till 2020, so anything 4k related i dont care about.

But it is really dumb that it doesnt have a 4k bluray player, its really dumb

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61532 Posts

If I bought it for a 4K TV for gaming, then it's kind of a kick in the balls not to be able to playback 4k BR's.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17457 Posts

I really dont get this argument of "not everyone has a 4K tv".

When PS3/360 were released, not many had HDTV.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have internet without caps, or even have internet fast enough to view 4K content without it scaling down.

It shouldve been in the console, period.

No need to try to justify it.

You are essentially making the same argument that Xbox One defenders made about XB1s mandatory internet check.

Not everyone has internet..............and not everyone has internet fast enough.

Dont justify it, push them to do better.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

No and the general consumers are moving more to streaming by the day. Fact.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dynamitecop

@lundy86_4 said:

If I bought it for a 4K TV for gaming, then it's kind of a kick in the balls not to be able to playback 4k BR's.

Netflix 4K Streaming: 15 Mbps

1080p BluRay: 40 Mbps

UHD BluRay: 108 Mbps

I'd love these morons to tell me streaming is a viable solution for physical media.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61532 Posts

@dynamitecop: It'll be people who can't tell the difference between actual resolutions who argue it. I don't watch Netflix expecting BR quality playback, even on a decent connection. Although there are some tricks to stop it kicking down resolution and looking like a blurry mess.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Cows saying everyone is streaming need to tell that to the line of people at the redbox every friday night at the store by my house.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Nope. I stopped buying blurays a long time ago. I stream almost all my movies now.

It's more convenient since one purchase tends to work on all my devices and I don't have to mess around with discs anymore.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

I don't give 2 shits. I'm not getting a 4k tv/monitor for awhile. The only reason I have to get a PS4Pro is if my current PS4 bites the dust.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By navyguy21

@quadknight said:

Nope. I stopped buying blurays a long time ago. I stream almost all my movies now.

It's more convention since one purchase tends to work on all my devices and I don't have to mess around with discs anymore.

And youre not getting true 4K either....

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dynamitecop

@navyguy21 said:
@quadknight said:

It's more convention since one purchase tends to work on all my devices and I don't have to mess around with discs anymore.

Well for a minority of games, and games from last generation.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By navyguy21

@dynamitecop said:
@navyguy21 said:
@quadknight said:

I was talking about streaming.

He was saying he streams all of his movies........as if that is a justification of not having a UHD drive.

Streaming 4K isnt comparable to true 4K video

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20236 Posts

I care.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dynamitecop

@navyguy21 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@navyguy21 said:
@quadknight said:

I was talking about streaming.

He was saying he streams all of his movies........as if that is a justification of not having a UHD drive.

Streaming 4K isnt comparable to true 4K video

Oh, in that case yeah, he's getting just above DVD video bitrate which is 9.8 Mbps...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@quadknight said:

I know this already. Still, it doesn't bother me much, and no I'm not saying it excuses the lack of UHD drive. I'm just saying I don't buy blurays period.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50656 Posts

@foxhound_fox: So people who don't own or plan on ownig a 4k tv and thus don't care about 4k players are Sony fanboys? Pretty dumb comment.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Don't care, because I'm getting a Scorpio anyway. I'll get a 4K TV a few months before that is released. Most likely the PS5 will have one some 3 years from now. Doesn't really affect me. Gamers who already have a 4K TV will probably be disappointed though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@foxhound_fox: So people who don't own or plan on ownig a 4k tv and thus don't care about 4k players are Sony fanboys? Pretty dumb comment.

No. Those trying to excuse Sony for not including a 4K player because people don't own or plan to own one are Sony fanboys. Or did you not actually read what I wrote?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44669 Posts

Streaming is good for passive and casual viewing, but is no substitute to the home entertainment experience for those movies you want to watch in the best quality possible. I don't get movies on disc nearly as much as I used to, exept for the movies I love and can't live without. And for those movies, yes, I'm gonna want to watch them in stunning 4K if given the chance, once 4K TVs go down in price, I'll be on that.

For now, yes, not really a big deal for many. In the future? Who knows. I'd say it'll be a bigger issue if Sony announces in a few months that new models of PS4 Pro will come with one, which I think will stir a lot of anti-Sony resentment for not including it. I think this will piss off people who were Sony's biggest supporters and early adopters of the PS4 Pro. Maybe they might finally say "f*ck it" and go get a Scorpio.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Yes

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Options are always nice but I rarely buy or watch a Blu-ray Disc so it's not really a problem. Would have been nice if one was included but at the end of the day if I buy a Pro, it won't make much difference which disc drive it's running.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

It pissed me right off, I was looking forward to watching some movies in 4K.

Problem with 4K blu ray is, even though a lot of these movies are shot on 4K cameras, they are still mastered in 2K and then scaled back up.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50656 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Chutebox said:

No. Those trying to excuse Sony for not including a 4K player because people don't own or plan to own one are Sony fanboys. Or did you not actually read what I wrote?

@foxhound_fox said:

The only people who don't care are pretty much Sony fanboys hand-waving away Sony's mistake for not including one.

If they are touting 4K playback, then a 4K Blu-ray player is essential. I have a strange feeling that when it comes to commercial success, the XB1S is going to do better this holiday season for that very reason than the PS4 Pro. Everyone is now jumping on the 4K bandwagon, and like with the DVD player originally, it will be in high demand.

Maybe you should read your own post to refresh your memory.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

As a maker of movies and tv content. Sony is well aware physical movie sales are on a decline. While streaming is up. How many people are truly interested in buying $25+ dollar 4k blu rays. When subscription services are widely avaliable. At cheaper prices with more content per dollar. While movies being made nowadays, are largely worth watching once at best.

4K blu ray players are still pretty expensive. Its not something that can be cheaply added on or done on a software update. On a console that's already near taking a loss per sale. And while there's no debate 4k blu rays offer the highest quality. Provided you have a proper and rather expensive setup. The average consumer doesn't care that much about the content quality they watch. As if its HD with pretty good sound that's easy to hear. Its good enough. They can't tell what's the precise resolution after a certain point. Or have the audiophile ears to pick out problems in sound. Otherwise blu ray sales wouldn't be on a continual decline. Which is why 4k tv and content makers. Are having a harder time marketing their product than the SD to HD jump.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Nope. I barely watch movies as it is, the rare one I do watch, I watch them online.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

MS has the advantage here, just like when the PS3 was the cheapest Blu-Ray player non gamers purchased the system. Same will happen for Xbox One S as it's the cheapest 4K player on the market

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Ok for me personally i don't care, but i'm not buying one anyway so my opinion regarding the blu ray player is worthless.

But here's what i find interesting, the XB1 slim has been beating the PS4 over the last 4 months (in the US) and all we've heard (mostly from cows) for the last 3 months is that the only reason it's selling is because it's the cheapest 4k blu ray player on the market, which says that it has consumer demand.

Now that XB1 slim won October (4th month in a row) is now because everyone is waiting to buy the Pro (which has no 4k blu ray player) is the reason why the XB1 slim is outselling the PS4.

Can you people make up your mind which one it is and stick with it. there's too much goal post moving that they have been moved to a different field altogether lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Serious question - people keep bringing up the lower bit rate for streaming, but hd streams unquestionably look better than dvds. They do. I can't do some side-by-side for BD vs 1080p streams, but to my schlubb eyes they are miles more similar than 1080p streams and dvds are.

So - what is the real, no bs difference here on 4k streams vs 4k BD? How do 4k streams compare in fidelity to HD BD?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@i_p_daily: you do know that the forum has many users that say different things? Sony fans are not one person with one opinion.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Becoming a broken record.

People don't give a shit about quality, they care about convenience.

Streaming quality is trash. Physical media will always destroy it, but people are too fat/lazy to go to the store.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but the issues arise when you look at the competition. You need to look at this from the perspective of the average consumer, someone who cannot afford/does not want, more than 1 console. That person may not necessarily care too much about the Ultra BR Drive either, but if they see a comparable product offering the Drive(ie. Scorpio, X1S), it will look like added value. If none of them offered this drive, it wouldn't be an issue....but some people will have to make a choice now, and one of those choices will leave you without a 4K drive.

For me, it will be just like it is now with regular BR...most of my stuff is on digital, however some things I am a big fan of I get on BR and I am glad I have the drive. It wasn't such an important factor for me though when I bought the XOne(having a BR drive I mean), because if I really wanted one I could always go out and buy a standalone drive. So it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me no, but I wouldn't say it has no value.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dynamitecop

@xantufrog said:

Serious question - people keep bringing up the lower bit rate for streaming, but hd streams unquestionably look better than dvds. They do. I can't do some side-by-side for BD vs 1080p streams, but to my schlubb eyes they are miles more similar than 1080p streams and dvds are.

So - what is the real, no bs difference here on 4k streams vs 4k BD? How do 4k streams compare in fidelity to HD BD?

Compression artifacts. loss of detail, degraded image quality, all of this is worsened by motion, it's no different than pictures aside from the motion part obviously.

It's very much JPG vs. PNG, there's an unquestionably large and noticeable difference.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The player should have been included, doesn't matter if you make use of it or not, why ? Because the competition has it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Uh...of course I care. I'm not getting a PS4 Pro until I get a 4k TV. Having to buy a player separately is kind of ass, honestly. Sony really screwed the pooch this time.

Coming from someone who's been on the Sony train the last decade, I'm actually a bit fearful. I genuinely think Microsoft has been motivated to pick up slack and as a result, they're going to be putting out the better gaming system with the Scorpio. Hate to say it but seems true.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Absolutely not. The last time i watched a bluray movie was 5 years ago. What i care about is noticeably higher graphical settings and 60fps in 30fps games. That is not what we got.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dynamitecop

@silversix_ said:

Absolutely not. The last time i watched a bluray movie was 5 years ago. What i care about is noticeably higher graphical settings and 60fps in 30fps games. That is not what we got.

I think it would almost be smart if Microsoft pushed developers to take the checkerboard rendering approach to hit 60 FPS in every single game on Scorpio, obviously only on the ones which would need to be rendered differently to achieve it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@da_illest101 said:

@i_p_daily: you do know that the forum has many users that say different things? Sony fans are not one person with one opinion.

No they're not, but you will find that there are a lot of Sony fan that echo one another. So they should pick and stick, because the goal post moving is getting beyond a joke.

Don't get me wrong PC, Xbox & Nintendo fans do it to, but it's the Sony fans who go above and beyond anything i've ever seen before.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23726 Posts

I wouldn't care if it lacked video playback altogether.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

It's ridiculous that it doesn't have one.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Since I own an X1S? Nope. But the bottom line is, if you're a person that considered the 360 not having blu ray a negative, then the PS4 Pro not having 4K blu ray is a negative. Or you're a bullshit hypocrite.

Doesn't with today though does it? When the last round of machines came out the only way to get HD footage was Blu-Ray.

These days you can get it from a shit load of places so having it on physical media isn't as important.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

What's ridiculous is your stupid opinion.

Sony managed to offer over double the GPU power for a small increase over the regulars price, I can only imagine how much people like you would of complained if it did have a 4k drive and Sony asked $50+ more then they are already for the Pro.

They had a set budget and chose better hardware that offers a better GAMING experience...... it is a GAMES CONSOLE after all.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

What's ridiculous is your stupid opinion.

Sony managed to offer over double the GPU power for a small increase over the regulars price, I can only imagine how much people like you would of complained if it did have a 4k drive and Sony asked $50+ more then they are already for the Pro.

They had a set budget and chose better hardware that offers a better GAMING experience...... it is a GAMES CONSOLE after all.

Oh but 4k movie playback is way more important than improvement in the games man, I'd rather play BF1 at 720-900p and leave higher resolutions for movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I don't care seeing as I'm sticking with my Original PS4.