Do you like MGS V's more serious tone?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

After playing Ground Zeroes and watching some of the trailers, it seems like this MGS is going for a more mature, serious game. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the change. I've always loved how previous MGS games were very tongue in cheek and fun. I'll also miss David Hayter who really embodied that fun with Snake. What about you, SW? Do you care or are you just happy to play another MGS?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Yes.

MGS2 is the one that got me out of the franchise.

I couldn't stand the fact that there was a fucking vampire in my tactical espionage game. That and the endless love story dramatics between Rose and Raiden.

For. Fucks. Sake.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

yup...serious

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As long as Kojima picks a side and goes with it, I'm good. MGS4 was a game caught between the two extremes and just felt awkward for it.

I fully expect MGSV to have its share of wacked out MGS shit, we've already seen a bit of it in the previews. But if the overall story is meant to be serious in tone I want him to follow through. Leave the goofy stuff to the side content.

Based on GZ, I'd say he has a good grasp on delivering MGS in a more serious tone though.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

yup...serious

Loading Video...

Still better than a vampire and a teen romance drama.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

doesnt the game let you leave distractions in the form of puppies and scantily clad women?

it doesn't seem all that serious

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog:

the hilarious stuff it's how they explain Vamp's abilities. It's all because of nano-machines enhancing his healing capabilities, but the thing is that he looks and behaves like if he were a real vampire.

And Liquid Acelot, for a long time many people thought that because of the hand he had his spirit or something. But it turns out he was brainwashed to make him believe he is Liquid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We can't know whether the game's tone is serious until we actually play the game, and we can't comment on its speculated serious tone until the game is out. This thread is premature and currently unnecessary.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

a lot. will be an amazing game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic

some people need to understand the difference between "more serious" and "serious". Also, it's really not that hard to see where the game is heading. It's been well documented.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Yeah because nothing screams seriousness like magic cardboard boxes falling out of the sky, attaching dead enemies to balloons and pictures of half naked women and soldiers on said cardboard box as distractions or decoys...

Not to mention the female assassin in the game is walking around wearing a bikini at all times, super serious...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

We can't know whether the game's tone is serious until we actually play the game, and we can't comment on its speculated serious tone until the game is out. This thread is premature and currently unnecessary.

and yet still open...?

You really need to work on abusing your mod powers, or else TC's Mod-spiracy will completely fall apart

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

some people need to understand the difference between "more serious" and "serious". Also, it's really not that hard to see where the game is heading. It's been well documented.

@nyadc said:

Yeah because nothing screams seriousness like magic cardboard boxes falling out of the sky, attaching dead enemies to balloons and pictures of half naked women and soldiers on said cardboard box as distractions or decoys...

Not to mention the female assassin in the game is walking around wearing a bikini at all times, super serious...

so unless the previous games were National lampoon's Metal Gear Solid, I'm not sure it's that much more serious

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Don't be that guy, it's all just fun and speculation.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gue1
@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

so unless the previous games were National lampoon's Metal Gear Solid, I'm not sure it's that much more serious

child soldiers, sexual violence, you playing as a man that will become a mad man... That MGSV will be much more serious, darker and graphic than prior games is not a suspicion it is a fact. I mean, Chico with a bomb in his head (my mistake, Paz had both bombs in her but since she looks just like a boy I got confused) and Paz with one in her vagina? Miller's torture where the enemy even cuts one of his leg, etc.? And not to mention that it is implied that they forced Chico and Paz (2 children) to have sex.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Who saids both can't be done.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gue1

@blangenakker:

indeed. In real life there's cruelty and happiness coexisting. This is something that most western games don't portray very well because they choose a mood like dark and gritty and stick to it from beginning to end. Meanwhile Japanese games they tend to have more dimensions. Like FFVII for example, on that game at one point you dress as a woman and funny scenes play out but in that very same game the protagonist's love interest is impaled by the antagonist in front of him.

One of the very few western games that pulls off this kind of stuff very well is The Last of Us. They show you the reality of that world but at the same time they show a different angle through Ellie's more child like views of things. It's quiet the contrast and makes other games feel so lifeless and one dimensional.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

After playing Ground Zeroes and watching some of the trailers, it seems like this MGS is going for a more mature, serious game. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the change. I've always loved how previous MGS games were very tongue in cheek and fun. I'll also miss David Hayter who really embodied that fun with Snake. What about you, SW? Do you care or are you just happy to play another MGS?

Well, I could certainly do without such comic relief as chronically flatulent characters who are constantly pissing their pants.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Franchise should have ended at 4. I'm not excited for this game at all, and I tried Ground Zeros. Nope.

Extrodinare101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Extrodinare101
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

Serious tone? MGSV now has the ability to watch a donkey defecate, that's super cereal.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@lostrib said:

doesnt the game let you leave distractions in the form of puppies and scantily clad women?

it doesn't seem all that serious

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Who cares ! The gameplay is going to be fantastic......

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I've never cared much if something is serious or not gaming wise, give me a good story with good gameplay and i am happy.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Idgaf, the gameplay has so many brilliant ideas to work with that a lot of the game feels like its kojima's bullshit story proof.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

yup...serious

Loading Video...

lol, imagine if they actually made the game like that. This is a joke right? You don't really play peek-a-boo with a box.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@mems_1224 said:

yup...serious

lol, imagine if they actually made the game like that. This is a joke right? You don't really play peek-a-boo with a box.

No, this is actually part of the game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yes because puppy distractions, boxes on head, and floating cars and people away with balloons is more serious. MGS has turned into a comedy series.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

i respect any decision made by Kojima

but any true MGS fan would know, the entire series as a whole is serious as fk!

being "dark" in this certain chapter makes sense since this is the chapter where Big Boss descends into madness and eventually becomes the series "Villain"

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Yes.

I couldn't stand the fact that there was a fucking vampire in my tactical espionage game. That and the endless love story dramatics between Rose and Raiden.

For. Fucks. Sake.

What was worst was the dialogue was all "Jack" and Rose ala Titanic. Barfola. But I always liked the crazy characters in MGS. For a more grounded military stealth game I looked to Splinter Cell because there were no Roller skating bombers, women who cant be shot, vampires, Doc Ock rip offs, Spider, Bee soldiers, ancient almost dead snipers who can sprint some times etc. But I always loved those for what they are anyway.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Well, I could certainly do without such comic relief as chronically flatulent characters who are constantly pissing their pants.

I believe it was defecating his pants

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm pretty sure he did both. I could be wrong, but I could've sworn there were some pants-pissing antics in that game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@MrGeezer said:

@cainetao11 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm pretty sure he did both. I could be wrong, but I could've sworn there were some pants-pissing antics in that game.

in retrospect I believe you are right. And MrGeezer? I thought that was me!!!

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

ROFL!!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cainetao11

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@cainetao11 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

ROFL!!

I always laughed at that word also!!! I will shoot you a message when I am on Live this weekend dude.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Kojima better be joking again about this being the last Metal Gear because i want my metal gear 1 and 2 remake (the nintendo ones where big boss is the antagonist)

Now, THAT would close the cycle.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#36 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

It will probably be ridiculous like the others with some La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo or some other BS thrown into the mix.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FoxbatAlpha

I wouldn't say the balloons lifting guys up is a serious tone.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoxbatAlpha

@cainetao11 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@cainetao11 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

ROFL!!

I always laughed at that word also!!! I will shoot you a message when I am on Live this weekend dude.

Sounds good!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

I find Metal Gear Solid to be self-important, self-pitying shit. It primarily appeals to incredibly pretencous young people.

Planescape Torment, it is not.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

dont diss the box

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I expect MGSV's story to suck.

That said, I'm still looking forward to it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic

@GrayF0X786: you can tell who are the true fans in this thread lol

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

the ones who don't like MGS4?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Yes.

For. Fucks. Sake.

What was worst was the dialogue was all "Jack" and Rose ala Titanic. Barfola. But I always liked the crazy characters in MGS. For a more grounded military stealth game I looked to Splinter Cell because there were no Roller skating bombers, women who cant be shot, vampires, Doc Ock rip offs, Spider, Bee soldiers, ancient almost dead snipers who can sprint some times etc. But I always loved those for what they are anyway.

MGS2 was definitely the height of the series. Kojima set out to demonstrate his philosophy, and flawlessly executed it. No game will ever do that again (key point: it includes the experience from MGS1 then playing MGS2).

That also wasn't a love story.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

that is your opinion and that is the beauty of MGS, the diversity of opinions, some people love the first MGS, some loved MGS2 and some hail MGS3 as the pinnacle of the series.

i personally believe MGS4 is the best in the series and dare i say the greatest game i have ever played. (but at the same time i equally love all the games in the series including the PSP iterations)

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

it wont be any more serious than before. might have darker moments but will still have weird stuff going on and scantily clad women.The decoys and balloon tactic arent serious and watching horses poop, will most likely have off the wall characters in it too. 11/10, mgs is godly imo

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Uhhh it seems even sillier than ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#48 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

You dismiss your horse using a balloon. Either Kojima is having a very long stroke or he is actually a f*cking retard. Either way the game isn't that serious.

On the lead up to Ground Zeros people were as bothered about the water melon in the trailer than anything else. Kojima should just stop and move on. The story is dead and they are just dragging it out trying to get as many sales as possible before people really start to realise what a joke it has become.

Frankly I can't sit through another conspiracy filled bullshit cut scene. By the end of 2 and 3 I couldn't take it any more. 4 had a 90 minute cut scene which is frankly a straight piss take. God knows what 5 is going to have in it. Knowing Kojima a long winded lecture on the philosophy of missing limbs. Like anyone playing a stealth game gives a flying f*ck about one of the side characters entire life history. They will have to sit through the game telling them every gory second of it regardless though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

@GrayF0X786 said:

@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

that is your opinion and that is the beauty of MGS, the diversity of opinions, some people love the first MGS, some loved MGS2 and some hail MGS3 as the pinnacle of the series.

i personally believe MGS4 is the best in the series and dare i say the greatest game i have ever played. (but at the same time i equally love all the games in the series including the PSP iterations)

Oh i don't have an opinion on MGS 4 really.

Just seemed like there's a fair amount of "true fans" or hardcore fans that rank MGS4 below the other titles

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

They all present a serious tone...