Do you consider video game success, a real life achievement?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Like if you're really good at a game, do you think you're better than others?

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Do I think I'm better than others at a game I'm good at? Sure. Life in general? No.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52436 Posts

Well, duh.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

If I am better than you at a video game, I am better at real life.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Anybody that thinks being a gaming champ is some kind of meaningful life achievement really REALLY needs to get some perspective. There are far more noble pursuits, as in ones that contribute to society.

I mean sure it feels good to accomplish things in games, but that's on a personal level, and shouldn't be taken beyond that.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Yes, when i finished uncharted 2 on crushing, i felt like i was superior to everyone else, to this day, i still think that.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Anybody that thinks being a gaming champ is some kind of meaningful life achievement really REALLY needs to get some perspective. There are far more noble pursuits, as in ones that contribute to society.

I mean sure it feels good to accomplish things in games, but that's on a personal level, and shouldn't be taken beyond that.

Yeah, this sums up the whole thing.

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

This x1000

If I meet people with 1000 platinums on PS3 and people who won Nobel peace Prize, I'll definitely respect the people with Nobel peace prize MUCH MUCH MORE

Morover, I had no respect for guy with 1000 platinums

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Actually,i think the opposite. if i see someone on my PSN friends list with 50+ platinum trophies then imo they have WAY to much time on their hands.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

Actually,i think the opposite. if i see someone on my PSN friends list with 50+ platinum trophies then imo they have WAY to much time on their hands.

I've been playing PS3 since 2006 and I still don't have a single plat. Seriously, I have no idea how people do it because it takes lots of time but I've seen people with more than 20!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@ihsanqueen said:

@AdobeArtist said:

This x1000

If I meet people with 1000 platinums on PS3 and people who won Nobel peace Prize, I'll definitely respect the people with Nobel peace prize MUCH MUCH MORE

Nobel Peace Prize area a joke. Hitler and Stalin were nominated for one, and Obama won one the same year he became president of the USA.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

no, it gets me entertained and thats all i need from gaming.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

I feel like League of Legends "pros" are a joke because the games is so easy and I have played with most of the EUW ones in the past in matchmaking and the skill gap is just too low on that game. Starcraft, Quake and DotA players (for example) that compete and win at events are just as much of a success as sportsmen/women.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Um, no.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@FinalFighters said:

I've been playing PS3 since 2006 and I still don't have a single plat. Seriously, I have no idea how people do it because it takes lots of time but I've seen people with more than 20!

yup, same here. i owned a ps3 since launch and i still don't have a single plat aswell. The closes i came to getting one was with Batman: Arkham Asylum, And i wasn't even trying to get the plat, i just enjoyed the game so much that i played non-stop and was accumulating most of the trophies in the process.. This girl on my friends list has 53 plat's and she only had a PS3 for about 4 years!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope ! But the lines do get blurred when you score 10 consecutive headshots in a row.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Being good at a game is great but I'm not playing them for that reason. Whether I'm getting my ass handed to me or decimating everyone in sight as long as it's fun who cares. There's 7 billion people on the planet. Chances are that someone is better than you no matter how good you think you are at a game.

I'm also another player without a single platinum and have been on ps3 since 2007. I've also only 100% one game on 360 (the walking dead). I'm not sure what the fascination is with grinding for trophys/achievements but if it makes people happy then more power to ya.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I have a few platinums, but they are from really easy games.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@mrintro said:

I have a few platinums, but they are from really easy games.

Yeah any games I've got lots of trophy's for are generally very easy . Although I've known a few people who buy games that they know are terrible (Terminator Salvation) just because they are easy Platinums.

I just question why they would waste good money just to grow their e-peen.

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@ihsanqueen said:

@AdobeArtist said:

This x1000

Nobel Peace Prize area a joke. Hitler and Stalin were nominated for one, and Obama won one the same year he became president of the USA.

You're right, but is still means something though, more than platinum trophy at least

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@mrintro said:

Depends on the game:

Arcade shmups are the definitive model of a video game followed by 1on1 fighting games pertaining to dedication to execution, skill, and score.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I find the notion of video games not being real life kinda vague.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Getting good at Rocksmith is a real life achievement, so yes.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

@mrintro said:

Mmmm, yeah? i'm better than others who play the same game, as easy as that.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Unless you're getting a shed load of money for winning game tournaments, then gaming success is irrelevant in real life.

Good for kudos if your mates play the same games though ;)

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Yes, when i finished uncharted 2 on crushing, i felt like i was superior to everyone else, to this day, i still think that.

Then you started putting up cat gifs. My how the not-so-mighty don't have far to fall.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I feel good when i knife a sniper repeatedly to the point he leaves the match cuz his K/D ratio is taking a massive hit:-)

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

What matters is relative. What is meaningful in life is a personal thing. Do people have warped views that lead video game accomplishment's impact to be unjustified? Yeah. Are there people who keep things in perspective while also making the accomplishments important to them? Yeah, plenty.

Personally, I don't care for it. I just like me a bit of escapism and enjoyment. Its not like people who are jerks about their accomplishments are unique to gaming.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@ihsanqueen said:

@Gue1 said:

@ihsanqueen said:

@AdobeArtist said:

This x1000

You're right, but is still means something though, more than platinum trophy at least

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/facts/peace/

Joseph Stalin, the Secretary General of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (1922-1953), was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1945 and 1948 for his efforts to end World War II.

Adolf Hitler was nominated once in 1939. Incredulous though it may seem today, the Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939, by a member of the Swedish parliament, an E.G.C. Brandt. Apparently though, Brandt never intended the nomination to be taken seriously. Brandt was to all intents and purposes a dedicated antifascist, and had intended this nomination more as a satiric criticism of the current political debate in Sweden. (At the time, a number of Swedish parliamentarians had nominated then British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin for the Nobel Peace Prize, a nomination which Brandt viewed with great skepticism. ) However, Brandt's satirical intentions were not well received at all and the nomination was swiftly withdrawn in a letter dated 1 February 1939.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

No.

Get a job.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@ihsanqueen said:

@AdobeArtist said:

This x1000

I wouldn't take it so far as to disrespect someone with 1000 platinum's (or a gamerscore of 80,000+). It's just realizing that as good as it feels to you, it's a minor accomplishment in the grand scheme of things. As long as the gamer has perspective, then no real harm :)

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Things you do in games are unimportant in the grand scheme of things, as great as it feels beating that final boss or getting that game winning kill, the only person that cares about those achievements will be yourself, whereas all of your family and friends would for example be happy for you if you earned a promotion at work.