Disc Swapping vs Installs?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

returnOfSaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 returnOfSaolin
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

Would you rather

A. Get your lazy ass up for 4-12 seconds and swap discs

B. Go make a sandwich for 5-20 min and install?

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Would you rather

returnOfSaolin

My Reply : Your obviousloy not Saolin.

On Topic : Meh, theyre both equal.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
easy...swap a disc....I hate installing...sometimes I just want to pop in a game and check it out like with Hot shots golf I just wanted to play it real fast but instead I had to wait 10-15 minutes for FREAKING HOT SHOTS GOLF!!!!!!
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
Installs definitely
returnOfSaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 returnOfSaolin
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
My reply, it's true.... I'm not.... Spread the word. Yeah they both have their probs, I'd rather have neither... (like fable)
theflash118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theflash118
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts
How about neither
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
ReturnofSaolin??? :lol:
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

easy...swap a disc....I hate installing...sometimes I just want to pop in a game and check it out like with Hot shots golf I just wanted to play it real fast but instead I had to wait 10-15 minutes for FREAKING HOT SHOTS GOLF!!!!!!chikenfriedrice

Pfft. You waited months for the game to come out so therefore you can wait 10-15 minutes. Simple go outside for a little walk or do something productive in those 10 to 15 minutes instead of sitting there pulling out your hair.

Oh boy, these newfangled days where everybody has these attention disorders. Makes you just wonder for the sake of our future in education. How will these kids sit in an one hour class, do homework, and researching? All that takes longer than 10 to 15 minutes.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#9 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
The 2 are completely unrelated, but I'd much prefer swaping discs. I don't want an HDD filled up with content that should be read off the disc
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Would you rather

returnOfSaolin

Why do people compare these two. Disk swaps dont in any way benefit the game or your gaming experience its just a solution for having a smaller format.

HDD installs however improve the framerate and the way a game runs as well as reducing loading times.

Its a no brainer which one is better unless your just a fanboy. Expect HDD installs to be the norm.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]easy...swap a disc....I hate installing...sometimes I just want to pop in a game and check it out like with Hot shots golf I just wanted to play it real fast but instead I had to wait 10-15 minutes for FREAKING HOT SHOTS GOLF!!!!!!Ninten007

Pfft. You waited months for the game to come out so therefore you can wait 10-15 minutes. Simple go outside for a little walk or do something productive in those 10 to 15 minutes instead of sitting there pulling out your hair.

Oh boy, these newfangled days where everybody has these attention disorders. Makes you just wonder for the sake of our future in education. How will these kids sit in an one hour class, do homework, and researching? All that takes longer than 10 to 15 minutes.

I didn't wait months for Hot Shots Golf lol...go for a walk? what I wanted to play a game not go for a walk and i'm not a kid I am an adult and when I insert a game in to my CONSOLE not PC I expect it to start up right away

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
Neither but if I had to choose.... It would be installs.
Avatar image for IDateWhiteChick
IDateWhiteChick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IDateWhiteChick
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

I would much rather swap disks. My problem with the mandatory installs is not even the time it takes to install- it's the fact that the main advantage of consoles (the ability to pop in a game and start playing immediately) is taken away. Just two nights ago I popped in Star Wars Starfighter and Full Spectrum Warrior into my PS2 for a little playing. If I had to wait and take up valuable (and ever decreasing) harddrive space in order to play them, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Actually, the time it took to install would be annoying as well.

Mandatory installs are the worst thing to ever happen to console gaming, mark my words.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts
Well if the question is; Would you rather have to occasionally swap a disc on a couple of games a year or face a large install on the majority of your games going forward then the answer is so easy I won't even give it.
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I choose installs, im lazy not impatient. And like you said, the time it takes to install a game can be used for pre-game preperation! And as for the case of installs taking up hard drive space, they don't fill up the hard drive within a few installs so there is a decent size of room (on my 40gb PS3 atleast) and they can be deleted so it's not like the space is lost forever. And hey, if im wrong I can always buy a MUCH larger hardrive.
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts

I hope everyone here complaining about installs only has an OS on their PC. You guys hate installing stuff that could be streamed from a disk.....

Avatar image for IDateWhiteChick
IDateWhiteChick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IDateWhiteChick
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

I choose installs, im laxy not impatient. And like you said, the time it takes to install a game can be used for pre-game preperation!ONLYDOD

What about going to your PS3 home screen, then to file management, then scrolling through your old PS3 game install files, to painstakingly choose which one to delete from your 20gb PS3, so that you can play a new game? That could take some time too.

Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
installs make a better gameplay experience due to short (or sometimes lack of) loads and pop-up. Therefore, installs definietely. Also, only need to take care of one Disc this way.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stonin

I hope everyone here complaining about installs only has an OS on their PC. You guys hate installing stuff that could be streamed from a disk.....

Vasichko

I think the problem is PC's now have 250gb + HDD's as standard where the majority of PS3's have 20 - 60 gig. There is no complain if you have the space but Sony is essentially forcing all of their customers to buy and fit new HDD's or have to install and remove games all the time (a royal PITA if you fancy a quick blast on something you finished and had to delete for extra space...).

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]easy...swap a disc....I hate installing...sometimes I just want to pop in a game and check it out like with Hot shots golf I just wanted to play it real fast but instead I had to wait 10-15 minutes for FREAKING HOT SHOTS GOLF!!!!!!chikenfriedrice

I didn't wait months for Hot Shots Golf lol...go for a walk? what I wanted to play a game not go for a walk and i'm not a kid I am an adult and when I insert a game in to my CONSOLE not PC I expect it to start up right away

so you proven two things...your an adult that has less patience then a child...good job

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Installing of course, as a pc gamer installing is far easier to do in my eyes.. And I love your completely bias statements to both.. Installing isn't JUST FOR DISC SWAPPING you fool, its to improve performance and other such things.. You odviously don't understand why they have it to begin with..

Either way I think both complaints on either method are ludcirious, omgz I have to wait 10 to 20 mins ONE time to play agame that could take me 100's of hours to complete.

Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vasichko

How are they forcing people? Its the same process when you fill your Master HD up in your PC. You either buy a slave drive, USB drive, or get rid of crap that you dont use.

So how is it different?

[QUOTE="Vasichko"]

Stonin

I think the problem is PC's now have 250gb + HDD's as standard where the majority of PS3's have 20 - 60 gig. There is no complain if you have the space but Sony is essentially forcing all of their customers to buy and fit new HDD's or have to install and remove games all the time (a royal PITA if you fancy a quick blast on something you finished and had to delete for extra space...).

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chikenfriedrice
[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"][QUOTE="Ninten007"]

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]easy...swap a disc....I hate installing...sometimes I just want to pop in a game and check it out like with Hot shots golf I just wanted to play it real fast but instead I had to wait 10-15 minutes for FREAKING HOT SHOTS GOLF!!!!!!hyperboy152000

so you proven two things...your an adult that has less patience then a child...good job

it's not about paitence...I have paitence for things that require it....I am a console gamer and when I play a PC game I know it needs to be installed but when playing console games I should not be required to install a game plain and simple...the 360 does not require this

Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vasichko

I agree.

These guys wouldnt be able to hack it in the IT or IS industry.....

Installing of course, as a pc gamer installing is far easier to do in my eyes.. And I love your completely bias statements to both.. Installing isn't JUST FOR DISC SWAPPING you fool, its to improve performance and other such things.. You odviously don't understand why they have it to begin with..

Either way I think both complaints on either method are ludcirious, omgz I have to wait 10 to 20 mins ONE time to play agame that could take me 100's of hours to complete.

sSubZerOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814

How are they forcing people? Its the same process when you fill your Master HD up in your PC. You either buy a slave drive, USB drive, or get rid of crap that you dont use.

So how is it different?

[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Vasichko"]

Vasichko

Because thats odviously too much thought and effort for the kiddies that complain about this stuff.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]I choose installs, im laxy not impatient. And like you said, the time it takes to install a game can be used for pre-game preperation!IDateWhiteChick

What about going to your PS3 home screen, then to file management, then scrolling through your old PS3 game install files, to painstakingly choose which one to delete from your 20gb PS3, so that you can play a new game? That could take some time too.

I think that your overexzagerating a bit there, first of I have a 40GB PS3, and yes it would take time to delete game disk data, like a few freaking seconds. And just for the record I haven't needed to delete any of the game data i've installed yet. But atleast deleting game disk data doesn't require me to get up and use every muscle in my body to switch a disk :p (Im ashamed at how petty I got there...)

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Depends, they don't have anything to do with eachother and I don't mind either. But installs will take up a lot of HDD space so I guess that.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stonin

So how is it different?

Vasichko

By setting the bar so low (20gig), then making game installs around 5gig they are essentially forcing customers to upgrade or put up with uninstalling and reinstalling to play on a console, something that typically has been used to 'just have a quick game'.

If you can't see the difference between a PC where you expect installs, have a much bigger HDD to accomodate it and a console that is doing it to avoid problems with slow drive speed when it has a small sized HDD to start with then I can't help sorry.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
urg... people seem to forget that installs are for pop-ins and loading times. not just space saving, infact waht you save with an install is minimal on consoles.
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vasichko

Exactly. Sorry that Sony made a great move by choosing an OS that effectively uses resources. I would much rather have something running Linux or Unix than the bs that Microsoft calls an OS.

I guess its a bad move by Sony that I was able to upgrade my 60gb to 100gb for free since I had a 100gb SATA drive laying around?

[QUOTE="Vasichko"]

So how is it different?

sSubZerOo

Because thats odviously too much thought and effort for the kiddies that complain about this stuff.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

Javy03

Why do people compare these two. Disk swaps dont in any way benefit the game or your gaming experience its just a solution for having a smaller format. True.

HDD installs however improve the framerate and the way a game runs as well as reducing loading times. False, installs are a solution for a slow read speed.

Its a no brainer which one is better unless your just a fanboy. Expect HDD installs to be the norm.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

Would you rather

returnOfSaolin
One time install.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

neither.

But I would rather have the install. I dont see how people can bash an install. Developers put it into the game to make it better, how can you bash something that makes a game better?

Switching disks is annoying though, it kills any immersion that there is in a game.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chikenfriedrice

neither.

But I would rather have the install. I dont see how people can bash an install. Developers put it into the game to make it better, how can you bash something that makes a game better?

Switching disks is annoying though, it kills any immersion that there is in a game.

NinjaMunkey01

so PC games are not immersive?

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Would you rather

returnOfSaolin

How f***in' big of a fat bastard sandwich would one that takes 20 minutes to make be :o I want one now :twisted:.

I actually enjoy disc changes, they makes me feel I have reached a milestone :?.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"]

neither.

chikenfriedrice

Disc swapping for pc games ended like 2001 or 2002.. What they do now is have like 2 to 5 install discs and a single play disc.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

Lets see, I own maybe 20 360 games and only L.O., a phenom JRPG had me changing disks at a rate of 15 seconds per change with accumulative 45 seconds total change time ( first disk don't count ;) ) !

Yeah, Ill take the faster read speed of DVD9 > B.R. - at least thus far into this gen.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"]

neither.

sSubZerOo

Disc swapping for pc games ended like 2001 or 2002.. What they do now is have like 2 to 5 install discs and a single play disc.

I was going to say pc games need more than one disk?!!?

I dont play on PC's so I would not know. I always thought that you could just install most of the game.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Would you rather

returnOfSaolin

I'd rather swap a disc. Like you said, it only takes a few seconds and NOT 5-20mins. Also, once you swap a disc, you are usually on that said disc for awhile. I don't keep any of my discs in my game consoles, so every time I go to play a game, I have to put the disc in the console. Whether it's the 1st or 3rd disc, I'm doing this anyways. Also, once your 20GB PS3 gets full, how many times are you going to have to uninstall and reinstall a game just to play a new one?

So swapping discs is definitely the easier of the two options.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chikenfriedrice
[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"][QUOTE="NinjaMunkey01"]

neither.

sSubZerOo

shows u the last time I played a PC game haha...all though I did just buy RE4 on the PC :)

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

blackace

I'd rather swap a disc. Like you said, it only takes a few seconds and NOT 5-20mins. Also, once you swap a disc, you are usually on that said disc for awhile. I don't keep any of my discs in my game consoles, so every time I go to play a game, I have to put the disc in the console. Whether it's the 1st or 3rd disc, I'm doing this anyways. Also, once your 20GB PS3 gets full, how many times are you going to have to uninstall and reinstall a game just to play a new one?

So swapping discs is definitely the easier of the two options.

now lets compare it to a PC with a 1 TB hdd....
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

Javy03

Why do people compare these two. Disk swaps dont in any way benefit the game or your gaming experience its just a solution for having a smaller format.

HDD installs however improve the framerate and the way a game runs as well as reducing loading times.

Ummm.. he wasn't asking which one was better or what benefits you get from them. He was asking which one was more convenient for you to deal with. To me, swapping discs in the easier of the 2 and waste less time. The fact that you may have to actually uninstall a game as well, just to play a new one is a real downer to me. i feel bad for people who have 20GB or 40GB PS3's. They're going to have to uninstall one day.

installs make a better gameplay experience due to short (or sometimes lack of) loads and pop-up. Therefore, installs definietely. Also, only need to take care of one Disc this way.Rai

People are still missing the point. It's not what the install does, it's the fact that you have to DO MANDITORY INSTALLS at all that's the problem. Considering the PS3 is suppose to be the most power game console in the world, mandatory installs shouldn't even be necessary. Many of the same games play fine on the XBox 360 and don't even need a HDD and load times and frame rates are just fine.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NinjaMunkey01
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

blackace

Ummm.. he wasn't asking which one was better or what benefits you get from them. He was asking which one was more convenient for you to deal with. To me, swapping discs in the easier of the 2 and waste less time. The fact that you may have to actually uninstall a game as well, just to play a new one is a real downer to me. i feel bad for people who have 20GB or 40GB PS3's. They're going to have to uninstall one day.

or you get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148184

its pretty cheap, and it means you can store TONS of music and video too. I might get one!

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

I would much rather swap disks. My problem with the mandatory installs is not even the time it takes to install- it's the fact that the main advantage of consoles (the ability to pop in a game and start playing immediately) is taken away. Just two nights ago I popped in Star Wars Starfighter and Full Spectrum Warrior into my PS2 for a little playing. If I had to wait and take up valuable (and ever decreasing) harddrive space in order to play them, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Actually, the time it took to install would be annoying as well.

Mandatory installs are the worst thing to ever happen to console gaming, mark my words.

IDateWhiteChick

MY GOD, THEY ARE NOT AAA! WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THEM!?
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

Javy03

My question is ....would you state that if the PS3 had a x6 drive?..I don't believe so..

It can be easily said ...That installs are made to offset the x2 drive found in the PS3 and it is just a solution for having such a slow drive.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Would you rather

masiisam

My question is ....would you state that if the PS3 had a x6 drive?..I don't believe so..

It can be easily said ...That installs are made to offset the x2 drive found in the PS3 and it is just a solution for having such a slow drive.

Yes I would. Even with a fast drive its still easier for the devs and the game to upload from the HDD. Why do you think PC games do this, they were installing CDs when most games were on DVDs. Because its faster. And the Blu ray drive is not the problem it reads just as fast as the 360 drive because most 360 games are on DVD9s which severly reduce the read speed. COD 4 on the PS3 loaded just as fast as the 360 version and it had 0 installs and there are many other cases like this.

Devs push installs because it makes their games run smoother so critics will have one less thing to citique and gamers can have a smoother experience.

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts
I don't mind swapping discs.
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

blue-ray (bigger games) with installations or dvd (small space) with disc-swapping?

installations hands down. they're not even that long, just go take a dump or something. besides it improves the gameplay so why the hell not?