disappointments of new Tomb Raider

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

It got unchartefied. Not that it's a bad thing.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

turned it off after an hour, it was horrible

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

The worst game I've ever played.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
It's a masterpiece. People just don't get it.
SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SuperNovaftw
Member since 2013 • 2500 Posts

Michael0134567
I expect better from you :(
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
Pretty underwhelming game so far 4 hours or so in.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

SuperNovaftw

tumblr_mhd04nPlHm1s3rgzoo1_500.gif

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperNovaftw

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

You have good taste in tv shows but not in video games :(
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There aren't many games that have kept things traditional for the action-adventure genre, the only one i can think of is the Zelda series. These days, it's all about being heavily cinematic and focusing more of killing stuff. It's what sells these days. 

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] I expect better from you :(SuperNovaftw

[spoiler]

tumblr_m1g2gfPc5F1qlc010o1_500.gif

[/spoiler]

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperNovaftw

Michael0134567

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

If you agree that Ariana (is that her name? forgot) is better looking then victoria justice. Then I will forgive you of your bad taste in games :)
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] You have good taste in tv shows but not in video games :(SuperNovaftw

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

If you agree that Ariana (is that her name? forgot) is better looking then victoria justice. Then I will forgive you of your bad taste in games :)

Victoria Justice is much better looking by a mile.
SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SuperNovaftw

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Michael0134567

You have bad taste in women :(
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Lol better looking than Vicky J...Dx

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] If you agree that Ariana (is that her name? forgot) is better looking then victoria justice. Then I will forgive you of your bad taste in games :)SuperNovaftw

You have bad taste in women :(

tumblr_m7cg02wwkA1qf7phso1_500.gif

6_Shooter_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 6_Shooter_25
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

You have good taste in tv shows but not in video games :(SuperNovaftw

That's an awful TV show. :|

On topic: Haven't played the new Tomb Raider, because it looks like it's just Uncharted without any of the lighthearted fun.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I played almost all the way through it and I don't like it. The combat is just not fun for me, the climbing and stuff looks so fake.

Combat:
AI is very limited. They don't do much that is interesting. There are like 8 types of enemies? The moves you have feel incredibly overpowered filled with invinci-animations and upping the difficulty level doesn't make the combat more fun, only more frustrating. This is because an enemy you didn't see is now lethal and you have to start the combat sequence over, instead of being able to respond. It doesn't make the fights more intruiging or dynamic. It only makes it less forgiving and that was not the problem of the combat from the get go. So I find the combat boring and too simple. Enemy behaviour is very predictable.

The traversing:
Filled with stupid movie sequences that are supposed to make you feel awesome but really make you feel like a dork because you're sitting there pressing W and 'in the world of videogames' doing all kinds of awesome things. It's not you doing those things. Having to press a button while awesome stuff occurs only increases the disconnect between the player and the game tenfold.

And my favorite part of Tomb Raider, traversing through puzzles and traps, seems to be gone for good now. I knew this beforehand but it still bugs me. First Prince of Persia became all about the stupid combat which was bad as well, and now Tomb Raider got rid of its more intruiging elements. I can only hope that there will be a new IP that will include awesome puzzle platforming and booby traps in a mystic setting that you really want to explore. It looks like publishers are not convinced such a concept could sell because it is not enough like COD. Maybe it would take another Kickstarter for the publishers to see the light. I find it shocking time and again how little publishers actually know about video games. They are necessary for now, but I can't wait to find a way to get rid of them for good.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

It got unchartefied. Not that it's a bad thing.

Pete-B
Yea it is now tomb raider has no identity.
SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperNovaftw

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] You have good taste in tv shows but not in video games :(6_Shooter_25

On topic: Haven't played the new Tomb Raider, because it looks like it's just Uncharted without any of the lighthearted fun.

Your avatar is an awful charachter from an awful game. :(
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Never really got into the other Tomb Raiders, but I'm enjoying the new one. I can't really see how the game being similar to Uncharted is a bad thing. The story is good, the platforming / climbing is good, and the shooting is good, and it's kept me interested. Overall 9/10.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nextgenjoke

Never really got into the other Tomb Raiders, but I'm enjoying the new one. I can't really see how the game being similar to Uncharted is a bad thing. The story is good, the platforming / climbing is good, and the shooting is good, and it's kept me interested. Overall 9/10.

coasterguy65
tomb raider started this genre it should be doing it own thing blazing it's own trail like it did to pioneer the genre it shouldnt be ripping off rip offs.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="6_Shooter_25"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] You have good taste in tv shows but not in video games :(SuperNovaftw

Your avatar is an awful charachter from an awful game. :(

Indeed. Victorious <3.
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nextgenjoke

tomb raider ripping off uncharted is like.

umm quake ripping off halo lol.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lucianu

I can only hope that there will be a new IP that will include awesome puzzle platforming and booby traps in a mystic setting that you really want to explore. It looks like publishers are not convinced such a concept could sell because it is not enough like COD. Maybe it would take another Kickstarter for the publishers to see the light. I find it shocking time and again how little publishers actually know about video games. They are necessary for now, but I can't wait to find a way to get rid of them for good.

KungfuKitten

If it can be used, cinematic gameplay and heavy use of combat (melee or gunplay-like) are the two prevalent factors that'll be used these days if a development team is backed by a publisher. That's what sells. And i bet that's how it is always going to be, because it's ben.. like a upward staircase to this for a long time now. The only company that has kept thing traditional for the action-adventure genre in particular, is Nintendo, and they are frowned upon by a lot of critics for this. 

But, like you said, there is a chance that someone trough Kickstarter will do it sooner or later, and you never know what idea might come up with independant developers that aren't chained by publishers. 

Thanks to Kickstarter and the legacy of Black Isle (Obsidian, former members), there's going to be a RPG renaissance. Maybe, one day, there's going to be a action-adventure renaissance aswell.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lucianu

coasterguy65

If you like Zelda, you should definitely try out Tomb Raider: Anniversary. Everything controls so fluidly, and it's so much entertaintment to be had by exploring the diverse environment, platforming trough areas, and advancing trough by collecting stuff and completing complex, yet logical, puzzles. 

The environment itself encourages you to complete them, so you'll never be lost in them.  

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

First Tomb Raider I've finished in a looong time. It's definitely been Uncharteded, but at least they shipped a Tomb Raider game with tight controls and good gunplay. I actually liked the cinematic stuff, it may have come dangerously close to being annoying but I think they pulled it off.

Unfortunately, the game seems to have the exact same problem Uncharted has. There is absolutely no goddamn way they would survive the onslaught of enemies that are thrown at them in the later parts of the ...Hell, in any part of the games. It gets to the point where you'd say "Aw, COME ON, this is pretty goddamn ridiculous" We are talking mercenaries, with and without armor and all sorts of bandits and crazy people. Neither character is ex-military which would probably be the only type of person even remotely capable of handling that kind of situation and even for them the chance of survival is microscopic.

There is suspension of belief and then there is just...just..I don't know.It was fun though, but that kept taking me out of it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 heretrix

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

nextgenjoke

tomb raider started this genre it should be doing it own thing blazing it's own trail like it did to pioneer the genre it shouldnt be ripping off rip offs.

How can you ripoff a ripoff that ripped you off?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

nextgenjoke

I'm not really sure what Genre Tomb Raider started? Action / Adventure? Exploration? Platforming? All were done before. Now if there was a "girls with un-naturally large boobs who explore caves genre", then yeah it started that one.

Anyway whatever it did it's an improvement as far as I'm concerned. I didn't expect a lot out of this game, but after seeing a friend play it I rented it. After I played a few hours of the game I ended up realizing that a purchase was required. I planned to take back the rental, but it's still here being used in the other Xbox since everyone in the family seems to be into playing this game. Something that has never happened with the other versions of TR games. 

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
you talk like caveman
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nextgenjoke

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"][QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

heretrix

How can you ripoff a ripoff that ripped you off?

tomb raider has been turned into a scripted movie stop and pop shooter that's not tomb raider.
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nextgenjoke

coasterguy65

I'm not really sure what Genre Tomb Raider started? Action / Adventure? Exploration? Platforming? All were done before. Now if there was a "girls with un-naturally large boobs who explore caves genre", then yeah it started that one.

Anyway whatever it did it's an improvement as far as I'm concerned. I didn't expect a lot out of this game, but after seeing a friend play it I rented it. After I played a few hours of the game I ended up realizing that a purchase was required. I planned to take back the rental, but it's still here being used in the other Xbox since everyone in the family seems to be into playing this game. Something that has never happened with the other versions of TR games. 

Tomb raider started the third person shooter genre dude.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lucianu

coasterguy65

'nextgenjoke' is a unnatural cluster of fanboy minds that formed a identity on this forum, ignore him.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
played it for 2h and it was two most boring hours in a video game i've had in a while. Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TR crap.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Michael0134567
played it for 2h and it was two most boring hours in a video game i've had in a while. Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TR crap.silversix_
Lol silversix.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"] tomb raider started this genre it should be doing it own thing blazing it's own trail like it did to pioneer the genre it shouldnt be ripping off rip offs.nextgenjoke

Lol....no....Tomb Raider came out in what 1996 or something like that? There were TPS back in the 80s. Probably earlier than that. 

For example..this from 1985

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix

played it for 2h and it was two most boring hours in a video game i've had in a while. Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TR crap.silversix_
The first couple of hours is kinda boring, but it does get better. There are some really cool setpieces later on and holy sh!t does she turn into Rambo. lol.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

1. too easy

2. too much time in dark in cave in house

3. too much battle

4. too little climbing jumping grabbing

5. no underwater, no swimming

6. not like an adventure and explore. more like a hero to save people kill people on island.

7. zero puzzle

But it's still agreat game.

capcomchen

Disappointments of post:

1. Horrible grammar. 

2. Unfinished sentences.

3. Obvious lack of proofreading.

4. Opinions.

5. Contradicts self at end. 

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nextgenjoke

coasterguy65

Lol....no....Tomb Raider came out in what 1996 or something like that? There were TPS back in the 80s. Probably earlier than that. 

lol tomb raider 1996 is the first true 3d world TPS ever created.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95

coasterguy65

If that's a TPS then Starfox 64 is a TPS also.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]

DragonfireXZ95

If that's a TPS then Starfox 64 is a TPS also.

ok then this

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95

ok then this

coasterguy65

That's very rudimentary, but I'll allow it.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coasterguy65

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

ok then this

DragonfireXZ95

Well it is 1988...it's not like it's going to be Gears or Uncharted. ;)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

ok then this

coasterguy65

Well it is 1988...it's not like it's going to be Gears or Uncharted. ;)

No kidding, but it also dances on the line. I would almost not count it as a TPS, it's that close.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

copy paste from another thread...

I replayed the SP campaign, but just playing from one objective to the next, no tombs, no collecting, just strictly campaign and it's the most controlling game I've ever played. 

You can hardly move forward for more than a minute without the game taking control in one form or another.

-You lose camera control constantly.

-The game will slow Lara down and point the camera in some direction just to show you something, usually not of importance, just a view. 

-Lara walks slow all the time, and by all I mean nearly half the campaign is her walking slowly. 

-Time slows down for so many actions, be it for a shooting sequence, grabbing onto a ledge or during an interactive cutscene so you can shoot something in your path.

-QTE's all over the place.

-Cutscene after cutscene, some you can skip, some you can't.

-A ridiculous amount of scripted events, nearly everything is heavily scripted unless you stop to shoot a few guys, then you are free to move about the confined area as you please.

-Finally, is how you ALWAYS know when to expect danger because she crouches.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

They should of left the multiplayer out, it's pretty much useless.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

6_Shooter_25

This, the show sucks, only good thing is that the girls can sing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

It's a masterpiece. People just don't get it.freedomfreak

That's what Uwe Boll says after every one of his movies. :P

But I liked it, more than the last TR games.