DIRT 5 Dev confirms GDK an entirely new software stack and XSX Dev Kits were late to get to them

• 51 results
regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Well would you look at that. The Dev kits were late coming and yes the GDK is an entirely new software stack. So like many people have said already, it will take time to iron out the dev wrinkles for the XSX as they grow accustomed to the GDK and the new RDNA2 features (talk about adjusting to the new RDNA2 features is at around 7:55 of the same video)

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Literally the same crap what we've heard around 6 years ago. Xbox will catch up with DX12 and will improve and PS4 will stagnate, yeah!

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 regnaston

@mowgly1:

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

After all those rumors of Sony upping clocks at the last minute, and being late for next-gen, Microsoft are the ones who had to delay their flagship launch title and don’t have mature SDK’s.

Lol.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 regnaston

@Juub1990 said:

After all those rumors of Sony upping clocks at the last minute, and being late for next-gen, Microsoft are the ones who had to delay their flagship launch title and don’t have mature SDK’s.

Lol.

which has been said all the time.. they were late coming out because they were waiting for the full RDNA2 features to be available.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mowgly1

@regnaston said:

@mowgly1:

Oh yeah, really. It's easy to google. Fun times

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/with-directx-12-making-xbox-one-more-powerful-then-31196547/

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one-and-pc-32089278/?page=1

https://www.gamepur.com/news/can-dx12-help-xbox-one-close-performance-gap-with-ps4-will-depend-on-type-of-game-but-generally-yes-dev

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 regnaston

@mowgly1: and??? Random posters vs an Actual DEVELOPER

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69812 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Lol.

They officially stated that they delayed the development.

"In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture. Now, with the upcoming release of Xbox Series X|S and the new AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs, developers have a common set of next-generation tools and performance capabilities that will empower them to deliver transformative gaming experiences across both console and PC."Link

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 regnaston

@Pedro: exactly.. I think some people here are just obtuse or just like taking an opposing viewpoint if it trashes the console they hate.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

Better just go to watch below for full context than some cut down ver.

Loading Video...

TLDR: Xbox GDK is new and there are things not there which they cannot speak yet but dev is very familiar with it as they bring over alot of stuff from XDK and dev is in contact with Xbox team once a week.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@Juub1990: Wasn’t their fault. Microsoft chose to wait for RDNA 2. Then a pandemic hit which pushed things back even more.

When devs learn the new code (Yes, Xbox Series uses new code unlike PS5) and RDNA 2 and of course the new API Series X will stand out. Even this developer said there was a lot more CPU and GPU overhead on Xbox Series X, it just needs optimized more and they are continuing to use it.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mowgly1
@regnaston said:

Oh, dev said it too. Just read the links, will ya.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@BlackShirt20 said:

@Juub1990: Wasn’t their fault. Microsoft chose to wait for RDNA 2. Then a pandemic hit which pushed things back even more.

One devs learn the new code (Yes, Xbox Series uses new code unlike PS5) and RDNA 2 and of course the new API Series X will stand out. Even this developer said there was a lot more CPU and GPU overhead on Xbox Series X, it just needs optimized more and they are continuing to use it.

What the hell are you talking about? You are making shit up man.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 regnaston

@mowgly1: and?? Was he right or wrong? He didn't say it would make them equal he said "close the gap"

And here is the Unity people saying "yep DX12 makes a difference" https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/12/26/directx-12-on-xbox-one-now-available-with-unity-2018-3/

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@regnaston said:

@mowgly1: and?? Was he right or wrong? He didn't say it would make them equal he said "close the gap"

And here is the Unity people saying "yep DX12 makes a difference" https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/12/26/directx-12-on-xbox-one-now-available-with-unity-2018-3/

Unity hasn't even implemented DirectX 12 as an official feature. Its still in freaking experimental/preview stage.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20130 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

One devs learn the new code (Yes, Xbox Series uses new code unlike PS5) and RDNA 2 and of course the new API Series X will stand out. Even this developer said there was a lot more CPU and GPU overhead on Xbox Series X, it just needs optimized more and they are continuing to use it.

I believe that. They got held up with the latest .NET release and so instead of going to a full update that .NET 6 is bringing, they bring out .NET 5 which is an incremental update.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mowgly1

@regnaston said:

Pretty sure, "close the gap" means equall. Did DX12 closed the gap between Xbox One and PS4? It didn't, at all. That's why i've provided you claims about DX12. Even Phil Spencer need to calm down his own Xbox army saying that DX12 won't change hardware in Xbox One :

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Won’t Change Xbox One’s Hardware and Graphics Capabilities

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@mowgly1 said:
@regnaston said:

Pretty sure, "close the gap" means equall. Did DX12 closed the gap between Xbox One and PS4? It didn't, at all. That's why i've provided you claims about DX12. Even Phil Spencer need to calm down his own Xbox army saying that DX12 won't change hardware in Xbox One :

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Won’t Change Xbox One’s Hardware and Graphics Capabilities

You do know the Series X is faster than the PS5 right?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 regnaston

@mowgly1 said:
@regnaston said:

sigh

Loading Video...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20130 Posts

@regnaston said:
@mowgly1 said:
@regnaston said:

sigh

Loading Video...

Closing the gap can mean two things depending who you ask. You two are literally demonstrating that right now lol

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@regnaston said:

@mowgly1:

Xbox One gets a major upgrade

Meanwhile, Microsoft's Xbox One has been well received but has been criticized for being measurably behind Sony's Playstation 4 in terms of game performance. Microsoft has responded with DirectX 12. With relatively little effort by developers, upcoming Xbox One games, PC Games and Windows Phone games will see a doubling in graphics performance.

Suddenly, that Xbox One game that struggled at 720p will be able to reach fantastic performance at 1080p. For developers, this is a game changer.

The Secret Sauce

Microsoft was able to achieve the performance breakthroughs through two major changes to DirectX 12:

1. Bundles
  2. Parallel rendering

Most of the performance gain is a result of DirectX 12 making full use of multiple CPU cores. For example, on DirectX 11 a typical game would perform like this:

As you can see, thread 0 (the starting thread for the game) is doing most of the work. In fact, DirectX 11 is barely being utilized by the other threads.

But on DirectX 12, the situation changes dramatically:

Not only is DirectX 12 more efficient in its own right but the interaction with the GPU is evenly spread between each CPU core.

The results are spectacular. Not just in theory but in practice (full disclosure: I am involved with the Star Swarm demo which makes use of this kind of technology.) While each generation of video card struggles to gain substantial performance over the previous generation, here, the same hardware will suddenly see a doubling of performance.

XBox One is the biggest beneficiary; it effectively gives every Xbox One owner a new GPU that is twice as fast as the old one.

https://www.neowin.net/news/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one/

That was a developer on GDC 2014 he claimed DX12 would double the xbox one power, it never materialize.

This is why we don't believe magic gains from latter API we have been here before with MS and those lol worthy claims, and is always a developer speaking for them not them so they can avoid the guilt of failure and avoid the anger of gamers.

Person: ''Like barebones''

David: ''It's not barebones, they brought a lot, no, most of the tools over from of SDK in terms of familitary and how it works, in fact stability and speed improved a lot on GDK, but yeah, I am happy with it, if anything there is very little small things I would like, I have weekly meetings with XBOX and my account manager get a lot of feedback from me, I am actually very happy with it''.

And he fact he claim MS migrated most of the tools from sdk to gdk in terms or familiarity and how it word, in fact he claim stability and speed proved in GDK.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mowgly1

So, Dirt 5 dev said that most of the tools were brought over from XDK ( timestamped part of the interview in this tweet ). So, it's not entirely new. Anyway ( LOL at Dealer Gaming ) :

@tormentos

Yep, just what you said in post above

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tormentos

@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:

Lol.

"In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture. Now, with the upcoming release of Xbox Series X|S and the new AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs, developers have a common set of next-generation tools and performance capabilities that will empower them to deliver transformative gaming experiences across both console and PC."Link

And you should know that this is AMD GPU and CPU and windows there is not a single chance in hell that this dev kit is 100% completely new to developers.

Person: ''Like barebones''

David: ''It's not barebones, they brought a lot, no, most of the tools over from of SDK in terms of familitary and how it works, in fact stability and speed improved a lot on GDK, but yeah, I am happy with it, if anything there is very little small things I would like, I have weekly meetings with XBOX and my account manager get a lot of feedback from me, I am actually very happy with it''.

Please explain that in bold to me you all grand inquisitor.

@regnaston said:

Brad wardel was a developer speaking in GDC 2014 when he claimed DX12 would double the xbox one power on a DX12 presentation by MS, you can drop the act.

@Pedro said:

You do know the Series X is faster than the PS5 right?

Is 18% more powerful on paper, screw up 1 over head and your advantage goes flying out of the door, the PS3 loss to the 360 most of the time because of how difficult it was to code for not because it was weak.

So can you prove the xbox series X is 100% bottleneck and over head free to truly exploit that already 18% gap over the PS5?

Taken into account that multiplatform developers most of the time will drive performance to a point before simply releasing their games to hit a time frame many end been fix after launch, which could even apply to games now performing better on PS5 by the way no point in denying that.

But again you are siding with this guy so i must take as good that you believe the xbox series X is behind by dev kit and that will improve?

Just applying the same bandage you apply to me.

To make this crystal clear you believe in the DX12 part deux theory?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos

@Zero_epyon said:

Closing the gap can mean two things depending who you ask. You two are literally demonstrating that right now lol

Hes playing stupid Brad Wardell was a developer speaking for DX12 on MS presentation in GDC 2014, he claimed the xbox was the biggest beneficiary of DX12 and that it would give xbox owners a console twice as FAST.

Which prompted a barrage of comment from other developers some even mocking him, some asking why he would open him self to say something like that.

https://wccftech.com/devs-response-directx-12-doubling-xbox-gpu-speed-claim-ps4-ice-programmer-suspicious-claims/

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos

@mowgly1 said:

So, Dirt 5 dev said that most of the tools were brought over from XDK ( timestamped part of the interview in this tweet ). So, it's not entirely new. Anyway ( LOL at Dealer Gaming ) :

@tormentos

Yep, just what you said in post above

Holy shit lol..

Lemming are really using again their old DX12 tactic..

It truly feels like a deja vu.😂😂

And Pedro is on it to...😂😂😂😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@tormentos said:

Is 18% more powerful on paper, screw up 1 over head and your advantage goes flying out of the door, the PS3 loss to the 360 most of the time because of how difficult it was to code for not because it was weak.

So can you prove the xbox series X is 100% bottleneck and over head free to truly exploit that already 18% gap over the PS5?

Taken into account that multiplatform developers most of the time will drive performance to a point before simply releasing their games to hit a time frame many end been fix after launch, which could even apply to games now performing better on PS5 by the way no point in denying that.

But again you are siding with this guy so i must take as good that you believe the xbox series X is behind by dev kit and that will improve?

This is why folks thing you are idiot. 😂🤣

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@tormentos said:

Can you prove that i'm a Lemming?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos

@Pedro said:

And this is why your are a bigger one.😂

You prove me right at every turn i take.

So do you or don't you believe that the APi of the series X is the problem and that will improve?

@lundy86_4 said:

Can you prove that i'm a Lemming?

Still bleeding let it go man that tormy hate is lol worthy.😂

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@tormentos said:

Still bleeding let it go man that tormy hate is lol worthy.😂

Feigning hilarity isn't really good for you, considering you are one to bookmark posts on the regular. Prove your point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

And this is why your are a bigger one.😂

You prove me right at every turn i take.

So do you or don't you believe that the APi of the series X is the problem and that will improve?

Its seems like you are always looking for my approval. 😂

Because you are a shill, you want me to be a shill .

Because you are a renown idiot, you want me to be an idiot.

You are even using my strategies because I am that good. But, they don't work on me. 🤣

Now with regards to your question, I don't know what the issue is with these select games.

Your move.
Your move.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11154 Posts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Isn't that a pic of yourself?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I could tell by the thread title that the source was Dealer Gaming. This dude shills harder for Xbox than any Microsoft employee ever has

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tormentos

@Pedro said:

You are even using my strategies because I am that good. But, they don't work on me. 🤣

Now with regards to your question, I don't know what the issue is with these select games.

@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:

Lol.

I don't want you to be anything you are what you are.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 regnaston

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

we KNOW it :D

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos

@regnaston said:

There is a reason you avoid me like a plague, i already expose your FUD about the PS5 your constant posting of information without links, and fake articles and interviews.

In fact i already prove that a developer claimed DX12 would double the xbox one power which totally kill your denial.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro
@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:

Lol.

I don't want you to be anything you are what you are.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11154 Posts

@Pedro said:

No, that's you still saying that two years from now up until Uncle Phil announces a new console for you to buy. 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

No, that's you still saying that two years from now up until Uncle Phil announces a new console for you to buy. 🤣

Damn, we are back to your favorite obsession. Your loserdom is legendary.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8489 Posts

@regnaston said:
@Juub1990 said:

Lol.

which has been said all the time.. they were late coming out because they were waiting for the full RDNA2 features to be available.

RDNA features were locked at least couple of years before they started tapping it out.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

What u see is what u get

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I wish there was a bit more transparency when it comes to game development to educate gamers better. Especially youtube folks.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@regnaston said:
@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

Beat me to it.

H4L90O0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 H4L90O0
Member since 2020 • 14 Posts

I was actually thinking what was going on with series x with it having more powerful hardware and you can see with the launch games that they are not using ray tracing and other new features on the rdna 2 card, clear example is the observer, ray tracing isn't ready for the series x yet, that's why Halo wasn't going to have ray tracing until a later date because the dev kits are hot of the press.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 regnaston

@pc_rocks: yea the proposed feature set were locked in but the actual hardware was not ready until this year

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44608 Posts

So basically games will get better on XSX as they won't be as rushed; good to know.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

I see some lemming have really bite the big one, they actually believe a new api version will improve the series X, talking about corporate shills..😂

But but but they were late they wait until yesterday for RDNA2, im still waiting for the infinite power of the cloud and DX12 to inject power to the xbox one.

So get a good chair lemmings.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@tormentos: so you really think with both systems using the same hardware and XSX having the better of the two that PS5 is gonna be on top for the whole gen?

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mowgly1

@lamprey263 said:

So basically games will get better on XSX as they won't be as rushed; good to know.

Also games will get better on PS5 too.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5988 Posts

@slimdogmilionar said:

@tormentos: so you really think with both systems using the same hardware and XSX having the better of the two that PS5 is gonna be on top for the whole gen?

He wont answer that, he avoids questions that shows him up.

Watch I'll show you.

@tormentos answer this one

Call of duty ghosts was launched same time as Xbox One original at 720p with several people saying it would be improved as people got to grip with the development software. Was it over hyped, most probably.

Next and every other call of duty game has been 900p or higher on Xbox One while remaining 1080p on PS4

You keep claiming there was no issues with development and nothing improved.

However the evidence says otherwise.

Simple question

If no improvements was made to development or the development kit why where the rest of the many call of duty games not at 720P?

We all know the answer even you, but the question is will you admit it.