DId we all forget a game called Oni? (bungie)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

a bird reminded of a game that was out on the ps2 and for the pc. the game was called Oni, and guess who made the game Oni? and guess what score it made?

well ill give the answer. Bungie Software created the game and the score it got here on

GS was 7.1 for the ps2 and

6.9 for hte pc.

now if bungie was able to make up the mistakes in the past, then why cant guerilla? oh well thougth i just share some old school info with you all. thanks After Math :) http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&qs=oni

btw this is not a ownage thread or anything. just a thread to show game devs can get better :)

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

a bird reminded of a game that was out on the ps2 and for the pc. the game was called Oni, and guess who made the game Oni? and guess what score it made?

well ill give the answer. Bungie Software created the game and the score it got here on GS was 7.1 for the ps2 and 6.9 for hte pc. now if bungie was able to make up the mistakes in the past, then why cant guerilla? oh well thougth i just share some old school info with you all. thanks After Math :) http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&qs=oni

btw this is not a ownage thread or anything. just a thread to show game devs can get better :)

alfy13

Oni was alright, but the camera was terrible. One of the first PS2 games I played actually. Incidentally it was published by Rockstar.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Oni was an okay game. Remember Marathon, or Myth? Those were amazing games.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Oni was great, I played it on the PC. Damn it, I saw it for a few dollars once too on PS2 version, damn it, I should have gotten it.
IbukiNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IbukiNinja
Member since 2007 • 878 Posts
Very logical point. You showed that Developers can make a great game a second time go round. It can also be argue that developers like Koei takes awhile to make a decent game. In the end we really don't know.
Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts

If Killzone 2 does get into the high 8s or 9s then yes, Killzone 3 will be announced......

iluvmygc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iluvmygc
Member since 2004 • 1484 Posts

guarillahas yet to make a game that has not floped hard. While bungie has made countless AAA games like the legendary Marathon series

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
If you are trying to compare Guerrilla to Bungie. Guerilla had a hard time moving from computers to consoles as you provided in the link in your other thread. Bungie had no problem making Halo for the Xbox. Bungie also Had Marathon under it's belt before Halo was made. A game in the same genre as Halo. I have no idea what great game Guerilla has made. Please inform me on this. All I know the PSP game got good reviews. But it's handheld standards.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

some people could say oni totally sucked, even though people enjoyed it, and the creators went on to even bigger and better things. so how is it fair say the sequel to Killzone will be a total flop?

Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Choga
Member since 2006 • 2377 Posts
Thats 1/6 games that sucked.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
A valid point, put you have to remember that Halo and Oni are not even close to the same game. Bungie may not have gotten better at all; it might have just been that they found the genre they were best suited for. Guerilla already failed once with Killzone. It's a lot harder to rebound from a bad game in the same series than it is to rebound with an entirely new project. Just something to think about.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Why don't you make this thread after you see some real footage for the game. Then if it looks great and people still bash Guerilla, we'll listen to whatever you have to say.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Personally I love Oni, it was my first Bungie game.:D Actually I can say that Oni was the first reason I became a Bungie fan.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
Killzone 2 will fail. geez get over it.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

some people could say oni totally sucked, even though people enjoyed it, and the creators went on to even bigger and better things. so how is it fair say the sequel to Killzone will be a total flop?

Mordred19
i was playing Shogo alot during that time period
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I picked up that games so long ago I totally forgot about it. I never even played it. It's somewhere in storage I believe.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
if oni was an First person shooter.. i would agree with you,but its not.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

There are other examples of this as well:

Ensemble Studios (one of my favorite devs) -

Age of Empires I - 6.8
Age of Empires II - 9.1
Age of Mythology - 9.2

Seeing as Guerilla now have the full backing of Sony, giving them access to all of Sony's tech, the experience and knowledge of the other Sony dev teams, a $40 mil. budget, etc. i think if anybody hasa chance to change their reputation and make a stellar game, it's Guerilla. Just look at the contracts they have with companies like Second Intention for things like lighting development. This is the power of Sony 1st party.

Not to mention, they've tripled the size of their team since the first KZ. Instead of the same 40-man team full of newbies they were before, they are now a powerhouse force of over 130 men.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

Age of Empires I - 6.8
Age of Empires II - 9.1
Age of Mythology - 9.2

Seeing as Guerilla now have the full backing of Sony, giving them access to all of Sony's tech, the experience and knowledge of the other Sony dev teams, a $40 mil. budget, etc. i think if anybody hasa chance to change their reputation and make a stellar game, it's Guerilla. Just look at the contracts they have with companies like Second Intention for things like lighting development. This is the power of Sony 1st party.

Not to mention, they've tripled the size of their team since the first KZ. Instead of the same 40-man team full of newbies they were before, they are now a powerhouse force of over 130 men.

makingmusic476

you present a very logical arguement. I used those reasons myself yesterday, but I was shot down immediatly. I wasn't even trying to prove anything as an absolute. I wanted to say that KZ2 just has way better chances at being great.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
Oni was a half decent game on the PS2, I liked it way back when, jeez that was like a launch period PS2 game as well. It was a solid game overall, nothing great or it lacked anything that made it stand out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

Age of Empires I - 6.8
Age of Empires II - 9.1
Age of Mythology - 9.2

Mordred19

you present a very logical arguement. I used those reasons myself yesterday, but I was shot down immediatly. I wasn't even trying to prove anything as an absolute. I wanted to say that KZ2 just has way better chances at being great.

Exactly. Killzone has potential, nothing more, nothing less. You can't base the fate of KZ2 on KZ1, because they are being made by almost completely different devs teams, what with the new employees and new resources.

Not to mention, even the exact same dev team, as shown by Bungie and ES, can go from making a flop to making a AAA title.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

Age of Empires I - 6.8
Age of Empires II - 9.1
Age of Mythology - 9.2

makingmusic476

How could anyone have given AoE 1 a score like that, it was a fantastic game. I love AoE 2 though, one of the best RTS games of all time, StarCraft is one of my other favourites and also a great RTS. I do not see how AoE 1 did not get at least AA though. But yes Ensemble has certainly improved with age (no pun intended). Too bad I hated AoE 3 to no end, what a crap game.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Truth01
Member since 2005 • 2732 Posts
Published by Rockstar, Developed by Bungie. Oh how things have changed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

Age of Empires I - 6.8
Age of Empires II - 9.1
Age of Mythology - 9.2

DSgamer64

How could anyone have given AoE 1 a score like that, it was a fantastic game. I love AoE 2 though, one of the best RTS games of all time, StarCraft is one of my other favourites and also a great RTS. I do not see how AoE 1 did not get at least AA though. But yes Ensemble has certainly improved with age (no pun intended). Too bad I hated AoE 3 to no end, what a crap game.

I agree wholeheartedly about AoEIII. The online was too hard to get into because of the decks. You couldn't just jump in and play at random. You had to keep your deck ranked up so you could compete fairly with other players and not get your ass handed to you.

I prefer games where everyone is on an equal footing and it all depends on your natural skill, not how ranked up your team is.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
I don't, I couldn't forget such bad control.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts

Guerrilla has 2 games that I know of. That Vietnam flop and of course Killflop. Bungie has Marathon which owned, the Myth series which owned and now the Halo series which owns. They made one average game in the mist of GOTY candidates galore. Until Guerrilla actually makes an above average game, for a console or PC, they aren't even in the same galaxy as Bungie.