Did Elden Ring just bury Horizon Forbidden West?

• 124 results
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@vatususreturns said:

B2042 failed because it was sh*t. Pure and simple. That and the fact it was a full paid game while Halo was F2P. Halo used to release at the same time periods as Battlefields and CODs and that didnt hurt Battlefields or CoD sales in the slightest. Everything else is PR bs to justify shareholders their failures by blaming something outside of themselves. Titanfall 2 failed because of that yeah, but that didnt take away any of its quality, no? What we are debating here is the quality of both games, not its sales. Titanfall 2 wasnt less fun because the other two sold better

"So not sure where you're coming from with your "how old are you?"."

On the fact that your response is along the lines of the "u mad" childish response instead of a proper and rational debate

But you were getting angry and I did say there was no reason to be because it is factual that games can bury other games in the same genre no matter how good they are.

This is what I asked:

Will its success negatively impact the sales and perception of it?

Both can happen. Will that happen is the question asked. You're calling people childish and moronic because one game might alter their perception of another which is perfectly valid. If Elden Ring has absolutely terrific exploration and combat and side quests, Horizon might end up looking basic in comparison for some. Will that make it bad? No, but it can definitely lessen your opinion of the game.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

its funny, they say history always repeats itself. First version BoTW demolished it, now 2nd version gets trashed by elden ring.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 959 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@vatususreturns said:

B2042 failed because it was sh*t. Pure and simple. That and the fact it was a full paid game while Halo was F2P. Halo used to release at the same time periods as Battlefields and CODs and that didnt hurt Battlefields or CoD sales in the slightest. Everything else is PR bs to justify shareholders their failures by blaming something outside of themselves. Titanfall 2 failed because of that yeah, but that didnt take away any of its quality, no? What we are debating here is the quality of both games, not its sales. Titanfall 2 wasnt less fun because the other two sold better

"So not sure where you're coming from with your "how old are you?"."

On the fact that your response is along the lines of the "u mad" childish response instead of a proper and rational debate

But you were getting angry

What exactly in my response made you think I was angry? Its the attitude of a child to throw the "u mad" around without any further detail. I disagreed with your assessment of the word "bury" when comparing two good games, nothing else. There was nothing angry in that

it is factual that games can bury other games in the same genre no matter how good they are.

No it is not factual in the slightest.

Horizon and Elden Ring arent from the same genre. Their gameplay is vastly different and execution aim at different things. BotW didnt bury the 1st horizon so it wont be elden ring that will bury the second one

Both can happen. Will that happen is the question asked. You're calling people childish and moronic because one game might alter their perception of another which is perfectly valid. If Elden Ring has absolutely terrific exploration and combat and side quests, Horizon might end up looking basic in comparison for some. Will that make it bad? No, but it can definitely lessen your opinion of the game.

Thing is, Horizon FW is a sequel. People interested in it already know what to expect. They know they'll have fun with the second game if they had fun with first one. Same with elden ring, souls fans know what to expect. There's no reason to think one will hurt the sales of another cause their fanbases will support them regardless

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Juub1990
@vatususreturns said:

Yes it is. Once again refer to Titanfall 2 (or a myriad of other games that got overshadowed). You're acting as if competition isn't a thing when it is. What are you arguing against at that point? That it's impossible for one game to poach the sales of another or impact it critically to the point of hurting it?

Horizon and Elden Ring arent from the same genre. Their gameplay is vastly different and execution aim at different things. BotW didnt bury the 1st horizon so it wont be elden ring that will bury the second one

They're both open-world action RPG's. Very much the same genre. Games don't have to be downright identical to be comparable (none are). There's also their release window, and the fact they're both time-consuming. Many will ditch one for the other and vice-versa. BOTW also wasn't on Playstation.

Thing is, Horizon FW is a sequel. People interested in it already know what to expect. They know they'll have fun with the second game if they had fun with first one. Same with elden ring, souls fans know what to expect. There's no reason to think one will hurt the sales of another cause their fanbases will support them regardless.

I'm sure they thought this for Titanfall 2. Look what happened. I don't doubt HFW will sell well, but if it ends up selling say 15M instead of 20M, can the lower sales be attributed to people gravitating towards another open-world RPG released in the same window?

You may argue that Elden Ring won't impact HFW but the opposite is just as arguable. Point is, the audiences for these games very much overlap and not everyone will get both.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#105 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13109 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

The graphics of HFW will only last until Hellblade 2 topples it.

I am playing HFW now. There are other games on Xbox and PS that beat it. It's not very impressive. And it's a buggy mess. The facial animation of Aloy is awesome though.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 959 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@vatususreturns said:

Yes it is. Once again refer to Titanfall 2 (or a myriad of other games that got overshadowed). You're acting as if competition isn't a thing when it is. What are you arguing against at that point? That it's impossible for one game to poach the sales of another or impact it critically to the point of hurting it?

They're both open-world action RPG's. Very much the same genre. Games don't have to be downright identical to be comparable (none are). There's also their release window, and the fact they're both time-consuming. Many will ditch one for the other and vice-versa. BOTW also wasn't on Playstation.

Thing is, Horizon FW is a sequel. People interested in it already know what to expect. They know they'll have fun with the second game if they had fun with first one. Same with elden ring, souls fans know what to expect. There's no reason to think one will hurt the sales of another cause their fanbases will support them regardless.

I'm sure they thought this for Titanfall 2. Look what happened. I don't doubt HFW will sell well, but if it ends up selling say 15M instead of 20M, can the lower sales be attributed to people gravitating towards another open-world RPG released in the same window?

You may argue that Elden Ring won't impact HFW but the opposite is just as arguable. Point is, the audiences for these games very much overlap and not everyone will get both.

I wouldnt say Horizon is an RPG at all. Not every game that has lite RPG elements is an RPG ya know, or pretty much 99% of games these days would be categorized as RPGs

You raise fair points but if it will affect ones sales or not, only time will tell. I doubt it will affect much tbh. The only thing I care is that I get to enjoy two good games in the future and thats something that gets to be celebrated

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Am I still allowed to enjoy HFW? Just checking to see if I need to sell my copy.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Juub1990

@Ibacai said:

Am I still allowed to enjoy HFW? Just checking to see if I need to sell my copy.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#109  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I don't think that great games bury previous great ones. It just adds options and it's good to have plenty of them.

As for Forbidden West, it didn't meet my expectations, it actually surpassed them. Such a brilliant game so far!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#110 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I don’t think so. My friends that were hyped for HFW had no interest in elden. They hate fromsoft games due to the difficulty. I believe there are many of these gamers that steer clear of the souls type games and HSD had a real fan following.

Me? I gave up on HZD after like twelve hours. Story was boring, enemy ai sucked and Aloy had less personality than Gordon freeman. Just didn’t grasp me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#111 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70440 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I don’t think so. My friends that were hyped for HFW had no interest in elden. They hate fromsoft games due to the difficulty. I believe there are many of these gamers that steer clear of the souls type games and HSD had a real fan following.

Me? I gave up on HZD after like twelve hours. Story was boring, enemy ai sucked and Aloy had less personality than Gordon freeman. Just didn’t grasp me.

It doesn't get better in HFW and I enjoyed HZD a lot.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Forget HFW, what about Atelier Sophie 2!? It's coming out the same day. I need more atelier games and if it bombs cause of elden ring then all is lost!

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Souls games are niche imo. I don't think Elden Ring's stellar review scores will affect Horizon Forbidden West's sales or overall reception either. Between all those Souls games they've sold like 27 million. Horizon Zero Dawn sold over 20 million by itself. Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 60 million copies between just two games. Now sales like that could definitely possibly bury other games that launch too close to them.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Juub1990
@valgaav_219 said:

Souls games are niche imo. I don't think Elden Ring's stellar review scores will affect Horizon Forbidden West's sales or overall reception either. Between all those Souls games they've sold like 27 million. Horizon Zero Dawn sold over 20 million by itself. Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 60 million copies between just two games. Now sales like that could definitely possibly bury other games that launch too close to them.

Souls games haven't been niche in a long time. Elden Ring just peaked at 762K on Steam. That's getting into Cyberpunk territory which peaked at 830K (though there were probably a few hundred thousand more on GOG). Regardless, with these insane numbers it could easily sell over 20M especially given the fact it's on 5 different platforms.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

Elden Ring may get higher scores, but Horizon appeals to a much wider target group. So in terms of sales, I believe Horizon will win.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 962 Posts

I'm playing Elden right now and it's a fantastic game .. I didn't play HFW yet but I hear it's similar to the first game and honestly I found the first game to be good but not that extraordinary .. I will play it some day but when it gets cheaper ..

But Elden is really in a league of its own 👌

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

They seem to be completely different types of games geared toward different audiences, so I don't really see one affecting the other. People interested in both are likely core gamers who will play both, anyway.

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

I love how people keep dropping the Hzd 20 million sold when in reality there's a giant asterisk due to most of those sales being made when it was dirt cheap.

Yeah 20 million sold is a cool bulletpoint but sharknado probably would've moved a buttload of DVD copies if you were picking it up for a dollar.

Stop bragging about Sharknado sales guys, especially when it's the equivalent of that old bin of blu-rays or dvds that Walmart sells for $4 dollars each.

The reality is that if Elden Ring is as much of a breakthrough as Botw was, expect it to do much better than any prior Souls game, same way Botw is massive in comparison to other Zelda titles.

That's what capturing the zeitgeist does for a title.

If ER really does take over like the way its grandfather did 5 years ago, expect it to dwarf HFW in sales.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7318 Posts

@Pedro: really I think hzd2 is better than the first. More to it thus time around. Cooler weapons to try and more. Heck even killing the humans is more fun this time around and I loved the first one. I put 200 hours into it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7318 Posts

@oof85: omg nice try. Hzd is not sharknado. It's a high budget game. Not a low bugit. 20 million is impressive even if it sold at sale price.

Is lord of the rings or high budget movies that go on sale mean they are bad or low budget or sucks?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#122 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34782 Posts

If I can play a new and huge FromSoftware game, an Assassin's Creed clone from Sony will sure as hell be ignored. It's probably the same for many others.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39746 Posts

I might grab HFW this summer, but only if i can find the game used for no more than $25cad. Not worth anything more than that to me. After ER, i am just gonna be shitting on generic fetch quest filled open worlds even more than i already do.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#124 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34782 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I might grab HFW this summer, but only if i can find the game used for no more than $25cad. Not worth anything more than that to me. After ER, i am just gonna be shitting on generic fetch quest filled open worlds even more than i already do.

You could play HFW as a vacation from Elden Ring, since a brain or effort isn't needed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39746 Posts

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

You could play HFW as a vacation from Elden Ring, since a brain or effort isn't needed.

I'll be playing it on the highest difficulty like i played the original, so at least i wouldn't be able to play it half afk. But then again, i doubt that i'll be able to find the game for $25 in the upcoming months. I sold Demon's remake over a year after launch, and still got like $50cad for it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@oof85: You do realize all games sell for lower prices as time goes on (minus Nintendo)...so what point again are you trying to make? Unless you're saying all sales should have an asterisk next to them your point...well pointless.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#127 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Horizon FW is pretty cringe when compared to Elden Ring.

FS feels like they learned from previous games to make Elden Ring great while Horizon FW is basically Horizon Zero Dawn 1.1

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#128  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70440 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Horizon FW is pretty cringe when compared to Elden Ring.

FS feels like they learned from previous games to make Elden Ring great while Horizon FW is basically Horizon Zero Dawn 1.1

More like 0.8.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

I am hoping the success of this game, as well as other ugly games like Pokemon Legends, finally makes it abundantly clear that people just dont give a damn about good graphics anymore. If they are fine, they are fine, and as far as I am concerned, they were fine back in the gen 7.

The graphics of this game doesnt bother me one bit, but the graphical bugs do.