Developers: Wii U is in serious trouble

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Link

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Platform is in serious trouble.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. Im not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell millions over time. It only managed tens of thousands.

Apart from the clunkiness of the Wii stuff years ago, havent ever really had a dev complaining much about any account based stuff over more pressing issues. Hasnt impacted any business decision Im aware off (there was debate about the PS3 game sharing stuff).

Wii U is selling less software than the Vita so you know they are in some serious deep crap. And I really feel bad for them but  they are the only ones to blame for what is happening. But they will be fine even if the Wii U fails because the 3DS is selling like hotcakes.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Theyll turn it around like they did with the 3DS. Iwata has super powers.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41565 Posts
It's been three damn months. Jeez, everyone just LOVES to jump on the Nintendo DOOM wagon, don't they? It makes me question if that company really DOES have fans.
Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

Wii U is utterly garbage.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

WiiU will be fine, there's always a market for what nintendo cooks up.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

It's been three damn months. Jeez, everyone just LOVES to jump on the Nintendo DOOM wagon, don't they? It makes me question if that company really DOES have fans.nintendoboy16
Really, nintendoboy?:P

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

They deserve everything that's coming to them after the Wii. Next gen belongs to the PS4. Time for Sony's grand return to 1st place!

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Shirokishi_
Nah, handhelds are dependant more on Japanese development where Nintendo has alot of pull for various reasons. It's not that way with consoles since last generation Western games are dominating consoles. Wii U will be fine as Nintendo always makes a profit and release 1st Party titles but it won't be winning 8th generation or have the best library unless Sony and Microsoft both screw up.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Good. I want it to fail.

Screw casuals.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
Nintendo: Doomed since 1989
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41565 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]It's been three damn months. Jeez, everyone just LOVES to jump on the Nintendo DOOM wagon, don't they? It makes me question if that company really DOES have fans.MFDOOM1983

Really, nintendoboy?:P

Ok... bad choice of words. :P
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

They;ll sell their consoles, but it will be to people who want Nintendo's first party. I'm not shocked that third parties will go elsewhere. I like Nintendo, but almost no one buys their consoles for anything but their first party (minus casuals on Wii). They really should stick to handhelds and maybe even release titles for other consoles... 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell millions over time. It only managed tens of thousands.

Gue1

I really wonder what game this is. ZombiU? Did they really expect "millions" from that game?

Third parties have released nothing for the Wii U that has big sales potential, except perhaps COD.

percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

Down with eastern gaming! HAHAHAHA!

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Nintendo: Doomed since 1989Ghost120x
Nope, since 2012.
ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ImBatman-

Down with eastern gaming! HAHAHAHA!

percuvius2

Wut?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Cherokee_Jack

I really wonder what game this is. ZombiU? Did they really expect "millions" from that game?

Third parties have released nothing for the Wii U that has big sales potential, except perhaps COD.

Zombi U sold 400k or something, so it's not that. High budget Wii U game at launch? I didn't see any of those, but I did see crappy ports and two okay exclusive games at launch.

Can't say this anecdotal news changes anything for me, I mean they announced games I'm interested in already, so I will get a Wii U some time.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lol 3rd party developers are saying this?

the same ones dont want to port crysis tomb raider gta5 even though the hardware is able to now....

these "developers" are in MS and sony's pocket... of course they don't care about the wiiU...

once the wiiU starts selling like it did at launch then more developers will jump on board.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Nintendo will release some Mario Games and everything will be fine. Can we please stop these threads?

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
It's been three damn months. Jeez, everyone just LOVES to jump on the Nintendo DOOM wagon, don't they? It makes me question if that company really DOES have fans.nintendoboy16
Relax. Same things were said about the 360, PS3, 3DS, and Vita for the first year of their launch. Not saying Wii U isn't in trouble, but just pointing out you cant really predict doom this early.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Nintendo have been dying since before the PC was reported to be wheezing its last breath. Infact they're dying so hard they won out on the last gen and still have controlling shares in the dedicated hand held sector.

Nintendo doesn't rely on 3rd party titles, it's the games they make themselves that keep their fans coming back for more.

I'm no Nintendo fanboy but I understand where they get their money from.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Nintendo: Doomed since 1989Ghost120x
You mean 1889 :)
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

Shirokishi_
delusional
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
Wii U is dead. Sorry guys
Under_Armour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Under_Armour
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
Nintendo zealots are sure quick to defend the Wii U. I bet they were/are all over the Vita. Relax, some people get way too worked up.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
it's the 3DS drama all over again. that's all i can bother saying.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Nintendo zealots are sure quick to defend the Wii U. I bet they were/are all over the Vita. Relax, some people get way too worked up.Under_Armour
i think the vita thing was payback for a whole year of listening to cows talking about how much of a failure the 3DS was commercially, and how the vita would obliterate it. and how in the end it was the exact opposite.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
WiiU sold 3 million, that is good. Also, the same thing was said about the 3DS but then, there was a huge turn-around
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Don't you guys get bored of the _____ is doomed topics..? That's all system wars is lately, and they always end up being totally wrong a few months later and everyone pretends it never happened.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

it's the 3DS drama all over again. that's all i can bother saying.BrunoBRS

What I came in here to say.

Nintendo knows how to sell their systems. We just have to see what (if anything) they decide to do about the Wii-U's current position. It's at, what, 2.5ish million in about 3-4 months? That's certainly not a terrible place to be. Most consoles stall for a little while post-launch.

We'll see what they do. I imagine they'll just step-up their first party development and try to court more multiplats/exclusives from Japanese studios like Team Ninja and Platinum.

Anyway, worst comes to worst, they're just one price cut and a couple killer apps away from having a console that will sell pretty well.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Same thing happened to the PS3 after it launched as well. Software sales were pretty poor to start mainly because the price of the hardware was so high. People were bringing the system back because They couldn't sell them on EBay for a profit. There's wasn't anything worth playing on the PS3 until MGS IV came over a year later. Then when the PS3 Slim came out, hardware sales took off. Nintendo may need to lower the price some, but they definitely need more must have software if they want to move more units.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I'm hanging out for the next 30 cent arcade game on the eShop. 

They took way too long to release Trine 2 in the NZ/Australia region, so I ended up buying it on Steam. 

Had heaps of fun in the early days of launch with NintendoLand, New Super Mario Bros U. Barely played Scribblenauts Unlimited, just sold COD and Tekken. These days I pretty much don't turn on my Wii U. 

Do I regret my purchase? Yeah at the moment I do, I'd rather have the money than a games console sitting there depreciating. 

All it will take is the release of one outstanding game to fix this problem. I don't know what I'm gonna do about this. 

If these other 8th genners just share their library with PC, well I'm already sorted. If one of them offers something unique and appealling, I may sell up and swap over. 

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I never had a Wii console, nor I'm planning buying a Wii U, but I'm under an impression that developers are deliberately crapping on Wii U in order to subtly hype the 720 and PS4. I mean for f**k sake, every new system needs a time to mature.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

They deserve everything that's coming to them after the Wii. Next gen belongs to the PS4. Time for Sony's grand return to 1st place!

ImBatman-
LMAO!! Give it a rest. The PS4 still has a ways to go before it launches. No one knows what will happen after it's released. The hardware could have serious issues or another lackluster lineup of games like the PS3 did. Who knows.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Cherokee_Jack

I'm wondering who thought that was a reasonable prediction. The console has only moved 2.5 million units. You'd have to have a 40% attach rate, which is pretty damn hard to get, to break 1 million copies.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
LOL it's doing worse than Gamecube, OUCH!
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's scary how short-sighted developers are these days. No wonder AAA blockbusters are so common. Selling a game with legs rather than blowing all at once takes balls as much as brains.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

The origiinal Wii was absolute garbage and the Wii U is just continung the thrend.  

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ImBatman-

[QUOTE="ImBatman-"]

blackace

LMAO!! Give it a rest. The PS4 still has a ways to go before it launches. No one knows what will happen after it's released. The hardware could have serious issues or another lackluster lineup of games like the PS3 did. Who knows.

We'll see who's right a year from now. Call it bat instincts.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

The Wii U is screwed. 

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

They took way too long to release Trine 2 in the NZ/Australia region, so I ended up buying it on Steam. 

Had heaps of fun in the early days of launch with NintendoLand, New Super Mario Bros U. Barely played Scribblenauts Unlimited, just sold COD and Tekken. These days I pretty much don't turn on my Wii U. 

Do I regret my purchase? Yeah at the moment I do, I'd rather have the money than a games console sitting there depreciating. 

All it will take is the release of one outstanding game to fix this problem. I don't know what I'm gonna do about this. 

If these other 8th genners just share their library with PC, well I'm already sorted. If one of them offers something unique and appealling, I may sell up and swap over. 

psymon100

all consoles depreciate in value unless you have a limited edition.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

KBFloYd

all consoles deprciate in value unless you have a limited edition.

I know. 

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

psymon100

all consoles deprciate in value unless you have a limited edition.

I know. 

I hope you didn't pay full price.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

lol 3rd party developers are saying this?

the same ones dont want to port crysis tomb raider gta5 even though the hardware is able to now....

these "developers" are in MS and sony's pocket... of course they don't care about the wiiU...

once the wiiU starts selling like it did at launch then more developers will jump on board.

KBFloYd

Your tears are delicious. Can I drink more?

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

Shirokishi_
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Probably has to do with the Game Pad.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

However, HE BELIEVES ORBIS AND DURANGO will have big problems as well:

I don't have much of an opinion on what they might achieve in terms of an install base. But my general opinion is this next console generation is going to fail. The infrastructure for retail sales is crumbling, console platform manufacturers are still wanting to control content and prices too much, and the shift to other platforms (of consumers and dev support) in the meantime has been significant (my reasoning is more nuanced, but those are the big ticket items).

Next Xbox and PS4 are also doomed omg111!!!!1!11

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

get the wii u down to 199.99 when ps4 comes out