DESTINY beta is live, thoughts and impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Aw no cross platform (guess I might understand their reason, but maybe limit it to PvP?).

@hrt_rulz01 said:

But my concerns about this being designed for MP/co-op first & foremost I think are accurate. I don't think this game will be as enjoyable unless you play with at least one other person during missions. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Well this being very MMO like, it not really that surprising that it feels that way heh.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@Wanderer5 said:

Aw no cross platform (guess I might understand their reason, but maybe limit it to PvP?).

@hrt_rulz01 said:

But my concerns about this being designed for MP/co-op first & foremost I think are accurate. I don't think this game will be as enjoyable unless you play with at least one other person during missions. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Well this being very MMO like, it not really that surprising that it feels that way heh.

Yeah not surprising really.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#204 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

@Desmonic: Sounds pretty interesting. I'm mostly excited for the coop portion, as my bro and I will be playing on the PS4. Plus, Bungie, so... Sweet.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Had a crack at it, its solid but it lacks the funny of BL2.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#206  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@Wanderer5 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah not surprising really.

Every MMO I tried before Guild Wars 2, I stick going solo and I lost interests quite fast on just about all of them heh. Meanwhile I still play GW2 to this day because I went to join guilds and be with guildies or friends a lot which make the game so much more fun. It be probably the same for Destiny too maybe, and I kind of a bit iffy of getting it on PS3 that heading to the end of its life pretty much. Be kind of nice to see a PC version.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 lundy86_4

@Desmonic said:

The co-op is fun, even if you're not actually doing it! By this I mean, it's pretty usual to have 1-2 players doing the same exact mission as you are and at around the same time.

Even without being in the same fire-team (the co-op) you can just use that your advantge and make life easy for all of you :P

Also, forgot to mention: Whenever you select the story missions it'll ask you to select the difficulty, which can be Normal or Hard. Hard usually reccomends you to be 3 levels above the Normal standard. Honestly just pick Hard everytime. Normal feels way too easy IMO, especially with friends.

That's pretty sweet.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I usually like to pick the harder difficulties. It also makes coop a little more exciting in general.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 lundy86_4

@Desmonic: lol nice. The game seems pretty damn interesting. I may have to play tonight, if I stop watching the first season of Grimm.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 lundy86_4

@Desmonic said:

@lundy86_4:

I'm finding it pretty fun! :)

Not sure where the "all flash and no substance!!" mindset is coming from. It has plenty to do, and I haven't even unlock all the areas...

Thanks bro! My bro and I grabbed Borderlands 2 recently (never played it), so it's given me the coop buzz. Can't wait to grab my white PS4.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@lundy86_4:

I'm finding it pretty fun! :)

Not sure where the "all flash and no substance!!" mindset is coming from. It has plenty to do, and I haven't even unlock all the areas...

there is so much to do its quite overwhelming. and story wise i hope everything gets fleshed out because im confused right now. this is defo a game to play with friends also seeing people do the same mission is really awesome and once i saw a fireteam doing some sort of side activity and i went over to help them. stuff like that is awesome. this game has serious potential but they need to iron out some gameplay mechanics

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#214 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Ok ok ok please disregard what i said on the first few pages about this game.. now that im playing the beta i am officially HYPED! this game is more fun than i thought it would be

the graphics are so good, the gameplay and guns feel really well made and the soundtrack man some very catchy songs, it feels like Final Fantasy 14 to me right now but in a shooter lol

ok im officially once again hyped for Destiny

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@TheEroica said:

I played to a level 4 this evening, and very much enjoyed my time with it. It's not reinventing anything but I appreciated the seemless connectivity and I enjoyed the flow of combat. Very much looking forward to more.

@adobeartist: and I played and he put it best so far. Halo meets mass effect meets borderlands.

That sounds devastating to our social lives.

Real gamers don't have social lives!!!

please tell me I don't have to explain the hyperbole :P

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

i have one more code if anyone needs one..ps4

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By finalstar2007

Does anyone know if the beta has competitive multilayer matches?

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#219 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Yes, it does. You unlock the crucible which is competitive MP. There's only one game mode though called control. It's essentially domination from CoD.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I really like it so far, the golden gun is so satisfying to use. So far the highlight has been kicking a soccer ball back and forth with another guy at the Tower.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 finalstar2007

@madskills6117 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Yes, it does. You unlock the crucible which is competitive MP. There's only one game mode though called control. It's essentially domination from CoD.

Thats highly exciting! i just beat the level 4 story mode.. going to go play more till i unlock the competitive MP.

I love the recording features into the PS4 i been recording a lot of Destiny gameplay so far.

also man how much Mass Effect vibe im getting from this game its crazy.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

The graphics seem reaaaaallly bad. How does it play? more like borderlands than an MMO i'd assume.

actually it plays more like Halo when done in co-op with Borderlands elements. And yes graphics are outdated, great art direction but visuals themselves scream last gen

I thought the Alpha looked very good and the beta looks just as good from what I've seen of gameplay and whatnot.

Whatever, I'll see come the 23rd.

Its really nothing special. With this kind of visuals it should be running in 60fps (at least on ps4) but when playing the Strike it does get chaotic, lots of shit flying all over the place. Already clocked about 11h in the beta and doing penta kills as Warlock with nova bombs doesn't get old. Played the Alpha as the Hunter,,,,, was boring af. Playing the Beta as Warlock and its amazing.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 ghostwarrior786

@silversix_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

The graphics seem reaaaaallly bad. How does it play? more like borderlands than an MMO i'd assume.

actually it plays more like Halo when done in co-op with Borderlands elements. And yes graphics are outdated, great art direction but visuals themselves scream last gen

I thought the Alpha looked very good and the beta looks just as good from what I've seen of gameplay and whatnot.

Its really nothing special. With this kind of visuals it should be running in 60fps (at least on ps4) but when playing the Strike it does get chaotic, lots of shit flying all over the place. Already clocked about 11h in the beta and doing penta kills as Warlock with nova bombs doesn't get old. Played the Alpha as the Hunter,,,,, was boring af. Playing the Beta as Warlock and its amazing.

That magic bomb thing is so overpowered, I was in a tank and it got destroyed in 1 shot. Also that hulk smash thing could use a bit of nerfing

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#225 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I am going to play it when it get's finished downloading

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 silversix_

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@silversix_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

That magic bomb thing is so overpowered, I was in a tank and it got destroyed in 1 shot. Also that hulk smash thing could use a bit of nerfing

lol everything is OP in this game, Golden Gun one shots as well. Everything is so op that it becomes balanced if it makes sense. and yes magic bomb is op as hell n i like it hah

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#227 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

So after 2 days of playing I have to say im kinda bored of it already, mostly because I have ran out of stuff to do. I did all of the SP stuff and its only in one area. The MP is surprisingly dull it is fun and I did enjoy it but its nothing special or unique also I don't really like a control type of game I hate constantly going back and forth recapturing points. The SP is easily better and I really enjoyed it but there is just nothing else to do I hope there is alot more areas and different types of missions because this game will get boring fast when it comes out.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 silversix_

@chernoalpha527 said:

So after 2 days of playing I have to say im kinda bored of it already, mostly because I have ran out of stuff to do. I did all of the SP stuff and its only in one area. The MP is surprisingly dull it is fun and I did enjoy it but its nothing special or unique also I don't really like a control type of game I hate constantly going back and forth recapturing points. The SP is easily better and I really enjoyed it but there is just nothing else to do I hope there is alot more areas and different types of missions because this game will get boring fast when it comes out.

exactly what im hoping and kinda expecting. If this game doesn't have enough places to explore and difficult content to do, it'll get old in under a week. Im kinda tired of doing the same Strike since alpha but i decided to unlock all your abilities so busy doing that and it takes a lot of killing.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@madskills6117 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Thats highly exciting! i just beat the level 4 story mode.. going to go play more till i unlock the competitive MP.

I love the recording features into the PS4 i been recording a lot of Destiny gameplay so far.

also man how much Mass Effect vibe im getting from this game its crazy.

I've been saying all along it's Mass effect meets Halo meets Borderlands. The powers are very much like ME

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#230 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I didn't get into the Alpha so I'm looking forward to the Destiny Beta, but I don't know if I'd say I was hyped.

Looking at this thread though, I'm wondering if Destiny might not meet Activision's sales expectations. Market it all you want, but I see lots of apathy when it comes to Destiny, and that's the kiss of death for any product.

A lot of the people commenting their "non-hype" weren't in the Alpha, as so many of them don't own a ps4. Look on gaf and other places where people (myself included) played the alpha... everyone was loving it afterwards.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
@Desmonic said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@TheEroica said:

I played to a level 4 this evening, and very much enjoyed my time with it. It's not reinventing anything but I appreciated the seemless connectivity and I enjoyed the flow of combat. Very much looking forward to more.

@adobeartist: and I played and he put it best so far. Halo meets mass effect meets borderlands.

That sounds devastating to our social lives.

Real gamers don't have social lives!!!

please tell me I don't have to explain the hyperbole :P

Yeah, I'd say that's a good description. Though we definitely need to see the story getting much more fleshed out to be able to properly include Mass Effect :P

I was basing the Mass Effect comparison to the games armor customizations. There will be loads and loads of configurations between all the section pieces (helmets, chest, arms, legs...) that are not just aesthetic, but also functional. From basic defense stats to other attribute perks which will gain boosts to reload speeds and/or ammo capacities for all the different weapon types, recharge of class powers, grenades and such.

There is also the power element itself which many are similar to biotics, but I guess the comparison can be made to Borderlands as well.

So I reached the max level of 8 (same as the Alpha) meaning we'll never get to sample the higher caliber weapons, many of which have level 20 requirements as well as certain badge types collected in play. I really can't wait to see how extensive all the armor configurations get when you get access to the elite tiers :)

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By silversix_
Definition of slickness
Definition of slickness

Also gotta say Destiny has the slickest menu/inventory screen i've seen in any video game. Whoever made it knows what's up.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 ghostwarrior786

@silversix_ said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@silversix_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

lol everything is OP in this game, Golden Gun one shots as well. Everything is so op that it becomes balanced if it makes sense. and yes magic bomb is op as hell n i like it hah

True lol but atleast u have to aim with the gun. The aim assist is off the chain, very easy to get kills

@silversix_ said:

@chernoalpha527 said:

exactly what im hoping and kinda expecting. If this game doesn't have enough places to explore and difficult content to do, it'll get old in under a week. Im kinda tired of doing the same Strike since alpha but i decided to unlock all your abilities so busy doing that and it takes a lot of killing.

Have you hit Level 8 and are looking for something to do? Have you done any of this:

Public Events

Hang around one of the large areas long enough and a Public Event will trigger. The sky will turn dark and your Ghost will tell you about a special mission. But hurry! You only have a limited time to complete it! Here's the public events I've discovered thus far:

The Divide: Defeat the Devil Walker

Rocketyard: Eliminate the Target

Mothyards: Eliminate the Drilling Crews

Forgotten Shore: Eliminate the Target

Skywatch: Defend the Warsat

There might be multiple Public Events per sector, I'm not sure. And the Eliminate the Target one seems to be impossible solo.

P.S. For the first Public Event you get Gold Tier on each day, you'll get a reward. It's waiting for you back at the Tower.

Devil Walker

You know that Devil Walker from the Devil's Lair Strike? He's there in the same spot in the Explore mission. Go try and beat him solo! Or bring some friends and see if you can perfect a strategy.

Gold Chests

There are five Gold Chests littered around the area. They should appear in most missions. The first is the one you stumble across in the first mission. Find all 5 for a special bonus an Uncommon Sparrow that is faster and more durable than the normal one.

Bounties

You can take on a bounty from a merchant in the Tower. They come in two flavors: Vanguard and Crucible. They'll give you big EXP boosts so you can level up your gear and abilities much faster' - try some of these

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 silversix_

@ghostwarrior786: I have done all but missing one golden chest. Now all i do is go where the last campaign mission is (lev5-8 enemies) and kill stuff cuz there's a lot of enemies and they respawn quick. That place is so much better if you want to gear up than doing the strike. Got tones of greens and blues there

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#235 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

wow at the negativity, guys its DESTINY!!!! GET HYPEEEDDDDDD

Hermits are mad because they're not getting it.

Xbots are mad because the PS 4 is the lead platform and are getting it first.

Wii U owners are mad because they're not getting anything.

Hers an interesting question tho PS 3 won't require Plus but will the PS 4 version?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By silversix_

@Shielder7 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Hers an interesting question tho PS 3 won't require Plus but will the PS 4 version?

made me laugh lol. Btw does anyone has ps3 screenshots? Never seen a single ps3 pic

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 ghostwarrior786

@Shielder7 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

To get the most out of Destiny, it's recommended to have PS+, but you can still play the story missions and patrol. In order to participate in The Crucible (PvP) and strikes, you'll need PS+ for ps4. On ps3 ps+ is not required at all

@silversix_ said:

@Shielder7 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

made me laugh lol. Btw does anyone has ps3 screenshots? Never seen a single ps3 pic

Im playing on ps3, the resolution sucks but no performance issues at all. Surprised at how well the social features are working in this game

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Shielder7

@silversix_ said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

That's from the cross plat sure as *****. They can't make them too nice and still be playable on last gens systems. Down scaling only works to a point.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Shielder7

@ghostwarrior786 said:

To get the most out of Destiny, it's recommended to have PS+, but you can still play the story missions and patrol. In order to participate in The Crucible (PvP) and strikes, you'll need PS+ for ps4. On ps3 ps+ is not required at all

PS 4 deal breaker for me than, why the hell would I pay a subscription for one version when I can get it for free in the other?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By finalstar2007

Ok im simply in-love with the competitive multiplayer! the map is not big like BF and not too small like CoD its way in the middle and i like that we can get to enemy main spawn within like 3 seconds lol

everything feels fast paced ( which is what i like ) and the weapons feel very good.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 ghostwarrior786

@Shielder7 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

PS 4 deal breaker for me than, why the hell would I pay a subscription for one version when I can get it for free in the other?

Its the better version graphically + ps4 version will sell much better which for a game like destiny is important because of its heavy emphasis on social interaction. There will be more people doing mission and more people to interact with. If I had ps4 I would but destiny for it no doubt

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 finalstar2007

What this game is missing is some serious text chat feature in the game, it feels like an MMO when im in the Tower there are a lot of other players in that lobby but man this game needs text chatting like for serious right now.. dancing with a random person is not enough.

seriously i need to write to those who are in the Tower lobby or those who i randomly meet in the co-op story maps.

i think if it had that one singly feature it would have been the greatest thing to come out this year.. something like what FF14 is doing would be perfect!

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 ghostwarrior786

@finalstar2007 said:

What this game is missing is some serious text chat feature in the game, it feels like an MMO when im in the Tower there are a lot of other players in that lobby but man this game needs text chatting like for serious right now.. dancing with a random person is not enough.

seriously i need to write to those who are in the Tower lobby or those who i randomly meet in the co-op story maps.

i think if it had that one singly feature it would have been the greatest thing to come out this year.. something like what FF14 is doing would be perfect!

It also needs proximity chat, bungie are fukin morons removing it

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Shielder7

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Its the better version graphically + ps4 version will sell much better which for a game like destiny is important because of its heavy emphasis on social interaction. There will be more people doing mission and more people to interact with. If I had ps4 I would but destiny for it no doubt

If all I cared about is Graphics I would of gotten a gaming PC, it's really the last thing I take into account.

That aside still not sold tho you're speculating that the PS 4 version will sell better on what? PS 3 user base is still greater than PS 4, not to mention more people doing missions and more people to interact with isn't necessarily a good thing overcrowding can become an issue which is why most MMOs have different servers, not to mention the more people you have the more idiots you have.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 silversix_

@finalstar2007 said:

text chat is the first thing i missed in the alpha. They absolutely need to add it for the full game. Some1 start a petition lol

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Text chat? On consoles? Wut?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By silversix_

@clyde46 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

there isn't many mmo's on consoles so you can't say that. Im sure if consoles had as many mmo's as pc we'd have many games with text chat

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Shielder7

@silversix_ said:

@clyde46 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

there isn't many mmo's on consoles so you can't say that. Im sure if consoles had as many mmo's as pc we'd have many games with text chat

Not with controllers, voice chat yeah. Not like the lack of text chat is a bad thing I don't need to read anymore ways Chuck Norris beats things up.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@clyde46 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Text chat sucks with controller it takes like 5 minutes to write a sentence

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

that is one thing about this game i didnt like. theres seems to be no way to communicate with other players even though this is an mmo type game!