Death of PC reflected in hardware sales, too

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
Good god we have another case.

Guess what?

ATI just released their card, care to look at those sales?
Or course not, since you are in complete denial thanks to yuor retarded will of PC dying.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
yet nvida sold more 8 series gpu over xmas than ps3 and x360 sales combinded, its the consoles that are dying and its not game release season which fuels all the upgrades
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
^^^^^ those 2 have won by using logic, TC hath failed at looking at more than one company.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Nvidia: GPU shipments down 20 percent in Q2

During Nvidia's second quarter financial earnings call last night, CEO and President Jen-Hsun Huang revealed that the company's GPU shipments have dropped by 20 percent in the last quarter.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08/13/nvidia-gpu-shipments-down-20-percent-in-q2/1

---

mysterylobster

call me crazy but this might have something to do with ati"s 4xxx series:?

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#55 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Nvidia: GPU shipments down 20 percent in Q2

During Nvidia's second quarter financial earnings call last night, CEO and President Jen-Hsun Huang revealed that the company's GPU shipments have dropped by 20 percent in the last quarter.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08/13/nvidia-gpu-shipments-down-20-percent-in-q2/1

---

mysterylobster

Your evidence to your conclusion is totally ancedotal. There is no way to say that Nvidia for one single quarter 20% is the doom for the PC. It may be nvidias 9000 series was a total flop, majority of people who bought an 8800 gt, gts, or gtx already have one, or the ones who are upgrading are going to ATI.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

Guild Wars 2 is around the corner....

Hopefully late 2009-early 2010.

Can't wait for that game... I was big into GvG for a while. Several top 100 guilds. Was even in a couple top 25 guilds. But that was before the tournaments and champ points...

Enosh88

former top 100 here too^^ which guild were you in?

we were even in a ESL game once, but **** everything up :D

then I buyed wow....

I was in a few....

The one I was in for the longest time was Grawls Gone Wild(Grwl)

I was also in a couple before observer mode was around.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
Again, this thread is an example of why consolite is an isult. we all know PC aint dying, this is due to other factors.
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

As for ATi "bleeding money" for AMD....

No **** They were getting completely destroyed before the 4800 came out.

mysterylobster

And can you provide any evidence that their financial situation has changed? All the sources I've provided (notice I'm not going by blind speculation, which seems to be all too common around here) have said gaming hardware sales are dropping at an alarming rate, right alongside disappointing software sales. I've heard a lot of people say 4800 this and 4800 that, but they've shown nothing to back up these statements. I just figure they have no substantive rebuttal to my original topic.

I should also say that I'm a big PC gamer. So to anyone who says I'm just a console gamer, please try to come up with some better insults. I only want to bring the truth.

fine.

Here are the only figures currently given.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~127059,00.html

Revenue was up 18% over last year Q2 for the Graphics department.

The issue is that Q2 doesn't include ATi's 4800 series.

ATi's Q2 ended in early July.

mysterylobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mysterylobster
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

[QUOTE="mysterylobster"]

As expected, there are a lot of ill-informed responses here. First of all, to all of those who say it's because ATI is beating them because of the high end 4800 series cards, here are some facts for you to cull on: a) the 4800 cards were only available in the last month of Q2, b) in the price ranges that actually contribute the most to sales ($75-150) Nvidia is the undisputed leader.

Also, who said ATI is having a rosy time either? Apperently "The value of AMD's purchase of ATI Technologies Inc also declined..." meaning the video hardware company is bleeding money for AMD.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3357165.cms

HuusAsking
Can you support your ATI claim with AMD's Q2 SEC filings? AMD is publicly traded and based in the USA, IIRC (otherwise, it'd be more difficult to figure out ATI's number--it was Canadian).

What about your claim that bargain cards (under $150) are the big moneymakers? I would think it's the mid-range line ($150-250) where most of the sales occur--potent enough to see a difference while being a reasonable hit on the wallet.

PS. There could be one other reason, you know--seasonal lull. Gaming-related sales tend to slide in the spring into summer as people turn more to outdoor entertainments. Not to mention a general economic downturn could be reeling in sales in general.

I already supported the ATI claimwith solid evidence. What are you going to do, keep saying I need to provide more and more sources? That's ridiculous. You sound like one of those conspiracy theorists who just can't be convinced, even when the truth is staring them in the face.

Regardless of what we consider the sweet spot for mainstream sales, we are in agreement that it's not the high-end segment that contributes most to sales. I was responding to people who were saying ATI's recent success in the high end market was the reason for Nvidia losing money.

And a seasonal lull? Well, sure, but that doesn't fully explain the drop in sales. After all, revenue has decreased compared to this period last year:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1218573794316.html

Again, this thread is an example of why consolite is an isult. we all know PC aint dying, this is due to other factors.

I don't play consoles. I'm a PC gamer, and have been for 20 years. That's why the tell tale signs of the death of the platform scare me so much.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
So after selling millions and millions of their 8800 series Nvidias hardware finally slows down a bit?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#61 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Again, this thread is an example of why consolite is an isult. we all know PC aint dying, this is due to other factors. thegoldenpoo

Yeah. The a little thing called economics...

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
lol at TC

Nvidia got too cocky. They overpriced their merchandise thinking everyone would get it anyway because they're Nvidia and they're the best but then ATI came out with the 4800 series and now Nvidia is crying in the corner.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Pc gaming is doomed. Innovative top quality games with well written characters that over-come the crux of video game cliche's like Halo 3 and Metal Gear Solid have ensured this.

Even with all this power, 99% of pc's can't run a game like Mass Effect, it's ridiculous.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25363908
opethpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 opethpwn
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
So we'll take the sales figures of one GPU manufacturer... yeah!! That's a fair representation of the hardware market isn't it?!
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I already supported the ATI claimwith solid evidence. What are you going to do, keep saying I need to provide more and more sources? That's ridiculous. You sound like one of those conspiracy theorists who just can't be convinced, even when the truth is staring them in the face.

mysterylobster
What evidence? All you stated back on page 2 was there was a lack of evidence. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if you're going to back up your claim, back it up with something more than circumstantial. Anyway, how do you respond to the claim on the previous page, where the financials of AMD's graphics division (what was once ATI) jumped from last year...and all this while the 4XXX series had yet to hit the market?