Dark Souls series sales hit 8 million worldwide

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@ultimateimp said:
@silversix_ said:

nyaDC- "i don't care, its still a niche title that no one buys"

I don't know who this guy is, but if he says a new series with only 2 games sold 8 million copies is "niche." Then he must be another typical dudebro dumbass who thinks anything but FPS games are niche.

he is a dumbass alright.

Yeah, look at how dumb I am.

@nyadc said:

>Two games

>Multiple re-releases

>On five platforms (360/PS3/PC/XBO/PS4)

>8 million sales in total with the above information

"Not niche"

The above is the definition of niche, stop getting so offended by reality.

Yeah, your post is pretty fucking stupid.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@nyadc: my god you're dumb.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@-God- said:

It's usually called niche when sarcastically responding to consolites who think think PC genres are niche, when infact stuff like TotalWar and Tycoon's have crazy high total sales.

Well, those games are niche, too. Just about all of gaming is niche. The only games that have really made their way into pop culture are Mario, Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#54 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@ultimateimp said:
@silversix_ said:

nyaDC- "i don't care, its still a niche title that no one buys"

I don't know who this guy is, but if he says a new series with only 2 games sold 8 million copies is "niche." Then he must be another typical dudebro dumbass who thinks anything but FPS games are niche.

he is a dumbass alright.

Yeah, look at how dumb I am.

@nyadc said:

>Two games

>Multiple re-releases

>On five platforms (360/PS3/PC/XBO/PS4)

>8 million sales in total with the above information

"Not niche"

The above is the definition of niche, stop getting so offended by reality.

Yeah, your post is pretty fucking stupid.

@silversix_ said:

@nyadc: my god you're dumb.

Translation: "I just got curb stomped and have nothing to say, so I'll just call you dumb."

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#55 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@nyadc: Comments like those only cement the opinion that you're a moron.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#56 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

NyaDC is pretty dumb, yep.

Niche series don't sell 8 million copies with two titles.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@nyadc: you curb stomping? You sure in your own world there, bruh. You're in a thread that says 8 mil Dark Souls games sold. You deny facts, plug your ears, cover your eyes and don't want to accept its popularity. You self curb stomp and continue to play dumb.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NyaDC

@ultimateimp said:

That's neat, five platforms for two games with multiple re-leases and it just now hit 8 million sales as a franchise years upon years after releasing?

That's not niche? That's an average of 800,000 units sold per platform per game with the expressed knowledge that there are multiple editions/versions of these games and quite a few Souls players double dip, if not worse...

Niche, niche, niche...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i expected it to sell more for some reason. congrats from software.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Well, in comparison to EA, Acti and Ubi's games, it kind of is, funny enough. They sell 8M units with each yearly title. :P

But yeah, great stuff from From. Just please, don't annualize it after DS3.

Also, going by Steamspy, almost 50% of the non-Japan sales are from PC. Crazy shit.

Says a lot about the PC audience.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@-God- said:

It's usually called niche when sarcastically responding to consolites who think think PC genres are niche, when infact stuff like TotalWar and Tycoon's have crazy high total sales.

Well, those games are niche, too. Just about all of gaming is niche. The only games that have really made their way into pop culture are Mario, Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty.

I guess when you put it like that, yeah.

But I can't stand when total idiots like @mr_huggles_dog, use "Niche" as a con against PC and it's genres.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@nyadc said:
@ultimateimp said:

That's neat, five platforms for two games with multiple re-leases and it just now hit 8 million sales as a franchise years upon years after releasing?

That's not niche? That's an average of 800,000 units sold per platform per game with the expressed knowledge that there are multiple editions/versions of these games and quite a few Souls players double dip, if not worse...

Niche, niche, niche...

Multiple re-releases? There's Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. There's been one re-release of a Souls game ever and it's SOTFS, unless you're some moron who counts the PC ports...

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Dark Souls one was re-released too, no?

prepare to die edition with the DLC.

Bloodborne will probably get a re-release too.

EDIT: oh didn't notice that you posted DS1 too, my bad.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 NyaDC

@princeofshapeir said:
@nyadc said:
@ultimateimp said:

Niche, niche, niche...

Multiple re-releases? There's Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. There's been one re-release of a Souls game ever and it's SOTFS, unless you're some moron who counts the PC ports...

I guess the Prepare to Die Edition for the first game doesn't exist does it? It's really sad when the person who doesn't even like these games knows more about what he's saying than the one defending them... That's four releases of two games, if you factor that into the equation of what I already said and average it all out that is 400,000 units per platform per game spanning 5 different platforms...

As I've already said, niche, niche, niche...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#65 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

"400,000 units per platform per game spanning 5 different platforms..."

Put the straws away son, you're reaching too hard.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@nyadc said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@nyadc said:
@ultimateimp said:

Niche, niche, niche...

I guess the Prepare to Die Edition for the first game doesn't exist does it? It's really sad when the person who doesn't even like these games knows more about what he's saying than the one defending them... That's four releases of two games, if you factor that into the equation of what I already said and average it all out that is 400,000 units per platform per game spanning 5 different platforms...

That's literally just a bundle including the base game and Artorias of the Abyss. It's more expensive than buying the original game on PS3/360 and the DLC separately. It adds no benefit over separate purchases of the base game and DLC (unless you're playing on PC in which case Prepare to Die Edition is your only option) whereas SOTFS adds exclusive shit that you can't get from purchasing the original game and the DLC separately, and was remastered for PS4/XB1. Sorry if I forgot to count it as a re-release because it was so insignificant and essentially became the name of the PC port.

Still doesn't mean that Dark Souls 1 and 2 are niche or irrelevant. I get that these games make you upset but 8 million sold for two Japanese-developed games with small budgets and a targeted audience are big successes. And the fact that 7 of the 8 million sales are coming from the West is a sign that the series has gotten very popular. Get better material or stick to making threads defending 343

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By UltimateImp

@nyadc said:

@nyadc said:

So we can basically conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about, and your math abilities are below that of a 4th grader, lol.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NyaDC

@princeofshapeir said:
@nyadc said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@nyadc said:
@ultimateimp said:

Niche, niche, niche...

That's literally just a bundle including the base game and Artorias of the Abyss. It's more expensive than buying the original game on PS3/360 and the DLC separately. It adds no benefit over separate purchases of the base game and DLC (unless you're playing on PC in which case Prepare to Die Edition is your only option) whereas SOTFS adds exclusive shit that you can't get from purchasing the original game and the DLC separately, and was remastered for PS4/XB1. Sorry if I forgot to count it as a re-release because it was so insignificant and essentially became the name of the PC port.

Still doesn't mean that Dark Souls 1 and 2 are niche or irrelevant. I get that these games make you upset but 8 million sold for two Japanese-developed games with small budgets and a targeted audience are big successes. And the fact that 7 of the 8 million sales are coming from the West is a sign that the series has gotten very popular. Get better material or stick to making threads defending 343

That doesn't negate the fact that those two games had four total releases, you can try to dress it up however you like, it's four releases.

The problem with you people is you think that niche is an intrinsically negative or bad thing, it's not, it doesn't mean the game is bad or that it doesn't have appeal to certain people. The entire Souls franchise is niche, it's gaining popularity and notoriety but it's still niche with overall lower end unit sales, low accessibility and limited appeal to a small fraction of the gaming community. I only speak of niche negatively now relating to Souls games specifically based upon the fact that the community is so delusional that they argue against it being niche when it absolutely is and treat you like complete shit if you say that it is. It's like they can't be okay with the franchise being titled as it is, they come off as if it's demeaning or hurts their feelings and lash out..

To me it's like calling a short person short and them throwing a fit at you saying "No I am not, I am tall too! You're just an idiot!"... That is this community in a nutshell, they're a short person trying to convince you that they're tall, it's insanity...

@ultimateimp said:
@nyadc said:

@nyadc said:

So we can basically conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about, and your math abilities are below that of a 4th grader, lol.

My math is bad? Did you even go to school?

8,000,000 / 5 platforms / 2 games = 800,000 units average per platform per game

8,000,000 / 5 platforms / 4 releases = 400,000 units average per platform per release

Nice effort though...

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By UltimateImp

@nyadc said:

8,000,000 / 5 platforms / 4 releases = 400,000 units average per platform per release

Nice effort though...

Yes I have went to school(currently in a medicine school). You on the other hand did not go to school. You're claiming that there are 4 releases on all 5 platforms making 20 versions Dark Souls IP have sold 8000 000 copies. That's 9 more releases that you've dug out of your asshole.

• Dark Souls 1 on PS3, Xbox 360. 2 versions.
  • Dark Souls 1 Artorias on PC. 1 version.
  • Dark Souls 2 on PC, PS3, Xbox 360. 3 versions.
  • Dark Souls 2 SoTFS (remaster) on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox 1. 5 versions.

Which means you can't even do a simple thing such as a summation equation, which means you have the intelligence that rivals chimpanzee with down syndrome that claims he went to school. All in all, this makes it 727 272 units per version, which is much more than the 400 000 number you claimed, lol. It's clear that math isn't your forte, stop humiliating yourself. Lol.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

40% of those sales come from PC, meaning that PC outsold each console individually

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dark-souls-series-has-sold-8-million-copies-worldwide-40-coming-from-the-pc-platform/

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#71  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Pretty amazing when you consider Japan isn't even 1 million of the sales (940k). So in Japan it really is a niche series. In the West however.....

That's actually pretty good for a console/PC game in Japan. Console games rarely ever sell over a million there. Only handheld/mobile games are mainstream in Japan these days.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@skelly34 said:
@freedomfreak said:

Demon's Souls is best Souls.

I agree

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#73 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@playharderfool said:
@skelly34 said:
@freedomfreak said:

Demon's Souls is best Souls.

I agree

Dark Souls is terrific, ditto for Bloodborne, but yes Demon's Souls is breast souls.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NyaDC

@ultimateimp said:
@nyadc said:

Nice effort though...

Yes I have went to school(currently in a medicine school). You on the other hand did not go to school. You're claiming that there are 4 releases on all 5 platforms making 20 versions Dark Souls IP have sold 8000 000 copies. That's 9 more releases that you've dug out of your asshole.

• Dark Souls 1 on PS3, Xbox 360. 2 versions.
  • Dark Souls 1 Artorias on PC. 1 version.
  • Dark Souls 2 on PC, PS3, Xbox 360. 3 versions.
  • Dark Souls 2 SoTFS (remaster) on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox 1. 5 versions.

Which means you can't even do a simple thing such as a summation equation, which means you have the intelligence that rivals chimpanzee with down syndrome that claims he went to school. All in all, this makes it 727 272 units per version, which is much more than the 400 000 number you claimed, lol. It's clear that math isn't your forte, stop humiliating yourself. Lol.

Please try to keep up, they are bundling all 8 million total sales together spanning across five different platforms as some form of singular accomplishment, I simply averaged it all out using the exact logic that they did in reverse.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#75 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I don't think this series is Niche anymore. 8 million is a lot of units. There are also going to be 5 games if we count DS3. It's a franchise now

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

http://steamspy.com/app/236430

Around a million sold just on the PC.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@nyadc: What sales figures would you consider not niche?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By NyaDC

@skelly34 said:

I'd say a single game release selling 2+ million on a single platform would drag it out of the niche. When you consider the size of the install bases and how few actually sell in comparison, that's still not even a lot. Niche also isn't just a sales thing, it has to do with the accessibility and general appeal of the game as well. Take Forza Horizon 2 for example, both it and Bloodborne I would consider niche based upon sales, however one of these games is fathoms more accessible and has general appeal that the other does not.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Lets face it, the game is niche. But the word niche on it's own doesn't mean much at least in the context of how much a game sells. A niche can be of any size. Dark Souls is a fairly sizable one, but don't act like this game appeals to the majority of the gaming populous.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I've never played a game and thought "Gee, if only this game had more mass appeal . . ." Not sure why the souls fans feel that way.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I've never played a game and thought "Gee, if only this game had more mass appeal . . ." Not sure why the souls fans feel that way.

They want validation.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

I don't see anything wrong calling this a niche series but dang 8 mil isn't too shabby by broader standards either. It sold 2 mil shy of the combined forza series including the horizons in half the time. Thats 2 titles +xpacs vs 7 titles. Being multiplat sure did help DS reach their intended pockets of fans. If forza were mutiplat however it would excel beyond its current niche status.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 chessmaster1989
@nyadc said:
@skelly34 said:

I'd say a single game release selling 2+ million on a single platform would drag it out of the niche. When you consider the size of the install bases and how few actually sell in comparison, that's still not even a lot. Niche also isn't just a sales thing, it has to do with the accessibility and general appeal of the game as well. Take Forza Horizon 2 for example, both it and Bloodborne I would consider niche based upon sales, however one of these games is fathoms more accessible and has general appeal that the other does not.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die sold just under 2 million on PC, so unless you're going to quibble over 22.5k sales (apparently there's a margin of error of +/-33k), then by your standard it's not niche. Especially since it's hard to imagine that none of the other >3 million copies of Dark Souls/PtD sold on PS3 and 360 would have ended up as PC sales if they hadn't been release on those platforms, so at a conversion rate of 5% (5% of the 360/PS3 sales change to PC sales when not available) would have put it well past your proposed threshhold.

So I guess it's not a niche game after all.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NyaDC
@chessmaster1989 said:
@nyadc said:
@skelly34 said:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die sold just under 2 million on PC, so unless you're going to quibble over 22.5k sales (apparently there's a margin of error of +/-33k), then by your standard it's not niche. Especially since it's hard to imagine that none of the other >3 million copies of Dark Souls/PtD sold on PS3 and 360 would have ended up as PC sales if they hadn't been release on those platforms, so at a conversion rate of 5% (5% of the 360/PS3 sales change to PC sales when not available) would have put it well past your proposed threshhold.

It didn't hit 2 million though, not to mention it's been released for years.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 chessmaster1989
@nyadc said:
@chessmaster1989 said:
@nyadc said:
@skelly34 said:

It didn't hit 2 million though, not to mention it's been released for years.

Oh so you will quibble about 22.5k sales. So you think of the ~3.6 million sales on other platforms, fewer than 22.5k of them would've bought it on PC? Even if every single PC buyer double-dipped (which is a ridiculous assumption), there are still ~1.6 million purchases not from double-dippers. You think that less than 1.4% of them would've bought on PC instead?

You also didn't mention a time frame in your original criterion. It's almost like you're making up rules to match your preconception that the game is niche.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#87 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

40% sales are from PC version despite having delayed and lazy ports. PC gamers love challenging games.