Dark Souls 3 Art Confirms Early 2016 Release

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@Chozofication said:

I hope these games do become annualized so everyone realizes how shit they are.

What did it take... 5 games for assassin's creed? Then a bit of love for black flag and now it's pure shit.

git gud

Beat Ninja gaiden 2 on master Ninja then come back to me.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#52 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Soulanders: Spamforce

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Chozofication said:
@princeofshapeir said:

git gud

I did, both Ninja Gaiden games, and the Souls games are fantastic. Dark Souls 2 less so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@jg4xchamp said:
@Chozofication said:
@princeofshapeir said:

git gud

I did, both Ninja Gaiden games, and the Souls games are fantastic. Dark Souls 2 less so.

Thought demon souls was legitimately one of the worst games last gen proportionate to its praise. I can't stand the slow pace, the game's world is completely uninteresting, and there's some serious jank.

It just bored me to no end.

Not only that but now the series is becoming annualized, so my opinion of the series just keeps getting lower...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#55 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

If there was less grinding than DS1 I'd be interested.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#56 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

In old days, this = Expansion pack.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Each of the Souls games add more content than any expansion pack, stop being a grumpy hermit

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jg4xchamp

@Chozofication said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Thought demon souls was legitimately one of the worst games last gen proportionate to its praise. I can't stand the slow pace, the game's world is completely uninteresting, and there's some serious jank.

Not only that but now the series is becoming annualized, so my opinion of the series just keeps getting lower...

The slow pace is perfectly fine and what's janky about the combat?

It's more deliberate than anything, which used to be perfectly acceptable, in fact is one of the many reasons OG Castlevania is still a quality game today. The pace of the game is irrelevant given that each sword hit feels satisfying, and each enemy actual threat given how hard they can hit. Plus of the games that are too heavily built around stats, I can get into Demon's Souls given the build variety options, and the part where the players skill still matters.

As for the game world being uninteresting, to each his own, but I like the way those games tell their plots on some level (maybe not with item descriptions specifically), and they have atmosphere for days. More importantly the story doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. With most other rpgs the story is supposed to be their apology for the weak ass gameplay, and I am do not care for lolvideogamestories sans a a reasonable amount of exceptions, and in most of those cases I still like the playing the game part.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jg4xchamp

@princeofshapeir said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Each of the Souls games add more content than any expansion pack, stop being a grumpy hermit

It's not content per square inch, it's the part where this formula has gotten used and abused. Instead of actually taking some reasonable time off to see how else they can **** with the formula and do something progressive, we're going to get a game like Dark Souls 2 which was mostly only good because of all the things the Souls games already did (minor adjustments added to add more build types), with a lot of the "newer" stuff being mostly half baked or leading to a lesser Souls game.

Hell even Bloodborne there are some noteworthy unnecessary trade offs. Blood vials were an inferior alternative to estus flasks, chalice dungeons suck, they didn't do enough to make PvP viable, and they gimped the build variety a bit given how the game plays and how the little you have in terms of armor and loot. Instead of building on it, they are making another Dark Souls.

It's actually pretty lame since Miyazaki and company are clearly better than that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@jg4xchamp said:
@Chozofication said:
@jg4xchamp said:

It's more deliberate than anything, which used to be perfectly acceptable, in fact is one of the many reasons OG Castlevania is still a quality game today. The pace of the game is irrelevant given that each sword hit feels satisfying, and each enemy actual threat given how hard they can hit. Plus of the games that are too heavily built around stats, I can get into Demon's Souls given the build variety options, and the part where the players skill still matters.

As for the game world being uninteresting, to each his own, but I like the way those games tell their plots on some level (maybe not with item descriptions specifically), and they have atmosphere for days. More importantly the story doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. With most other rpgs the story is supposed to be their apology for the weak ass gameplay, and I am do not care for lolvideogamestories sans a a reasonable amount of exceptions, and in most of those cases I still like the playing the game part.

There's nothing wrong with a game having a slow pace, but I don't think it has a place in the beat 'em up / hack and slash genres (I know it's an action rpg but since we talk of combat). I want to feel a rush and the souls games are the antithesis of that to me.

It's been quite a while so I can't go in depth of with the combat (besides the lack of focus on combo's and how dreadfully slow it is), and I couldn't stand to play more than 15 - 20 hours but the jank - I remember plenty of times when I clipped through an enemy and it messed me up, or an enemy's attack hit me when I was behind something, and in general some enemies don't feel like they belong in the area you find them (too big for the room for example)... it felt like the hit detection was buggy and that they didn't spend enough time testing enemies movement in the environment.

The atmosphere wasn't doing anything for me either, it all felt exactly the same in every area.

I'm not going to say I can't understand why people like these games, it does take skill and patience but at the same time I can tell they're rushed (which has probably gotten worse with each game) and could've had a lot more done with them. But yeah, it's just not my cup of tea either.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Chozofication said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@Chozofication said:
@jg4xchamp said:

There's nothing wrong with a game having a slow pace, but I don't think it has a place in the beat 'em up / hack and slash genres (I know it's an action rpg but since we talk of combat). I want to feel a rush and the souls games are the antithesis of that to me.

It's been quite a while so I can't go in depth of with the combat (besides the lack of focus on combo's and how dreadfully slow it is), and I couldn't stand to play more than 15 - 20 hours but the jank - I remember plenty of times when I clipped through an enemy and it messed me up, or an enemy's attack hit me when I was behind something, and in general some enemies don't feel like they belong in the area you find them (too big for the room for example)... it felt like the hit detection was buggy and that they didn't spend enough time testing enemies movement in the environment.

The atmosphere wasn't doing anything for me either, it all felt exactly the same in every area.

I'm not going to say I can't understand why people like these games, it does take skill and patience but at the same time I can tell they're rushed (which has probably gotten worse with each game) and could've had a lot more done with them. But yeah, it's just not my cup of tea either.

At its best, Demon's Souls is everything that people say it is. Some of the levels are designed really well (all of world 1, 3-1, 4-1). Others are just plain terrible (2-2, world 5). Same goes for the bosses. For every badass boss like the Flamelurker, there are 2 lame ones like that fat guy who swipes his tongue at you.

I really hate how there is so much useless gear in the game, too. I didn't hunt crystal lizards because I couldn't even hit them with the sword I liked to use. I had to grind souls for like an hour to be able to hold the purple flame shield. That's not counting the mind-numbing 20 minutes I spent picking at the red dragon with arrows.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Madden Souls 2016

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts