Crytek: Graphics are 60 percent of a game

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]Well that analogy sucks because a game engine is not an assistant :PNot to sound snobby, but the analogy truly does make more sense when you consider the engine as the canvas. :P In fact it may only make sense that way.A game engine is what you build a game in much like a canvas is what you paint on. Each game engine is different in what it provides in terms of AI functionality, lightning, physics, etc much like a paper canvas is different from painting on the side of a building, or whatever.On top of that the actual definition of the word "graphic" is "visual representation" :P It's not something you put your vision onto. It actually is the vision.Ly_the_Fairy

The analogy does make sense but is missing the game portion who is the collector and the painter that may or may not make ends meet in the end based off the engine and all other components like marketing. :P

Either way graphics are the vision altogether, but technically can be considered different in some ways since a graphic is pretty generic even on definition.

The analogy doesn't make sense because a graphic is not a model, it's not physics, it's not poly count, it's not lighting, it's not particle count, it's none of that.A graphic is the culmination of anything, and everything someone puts into an image. You do not put art onto graphics. The art is the graphics.

Its not individual things thats what I was saying. :P

Its a culmination of the vision like what is essentially your whole canvas in the end, but can also be nothing to some like a picture. I agree that it is the whole thing, but also think it could be bare as well if you didn't want to add much of anything. Still a graphic without much addition of style, still a graphic with addition, but it don't feel like much without and feels like there is a disconnect, hence my splash paint thing last comment and how a picture may seem trivial depending on how you view art.

It isn't mutual to me at least for argument sake, but honestly is just one and the same for our sake.

Honestly its whatever. I knew where my argument would go if someone with any understanding would call it out. Even now arguing to argue. :P

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]I agree. Graphics are a huge part of gaming. Anyone saying less is full of crap. Just look at the millions of graphical debates on this forum alone.aroxx_ab

So that is why crap-looking games as Minecraft doing so well?

Game doesn't look like crap. It's an art style. And it has hundreds of GRAPHICS mods.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#103 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Depends on the game for me. For FPS/Action/Adventure, I think gameplay is very important. For horror and RPGs, I feel that the sound has a bigger impact.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#104 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

look how many people disliked this and hated because of the graphics and the fact they said it ran on UE4

NoodleFighter
lol that's the demo that dev made in 2 months.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 FPSfan1985

Gameplay >>> Story/characters > artstyle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics > Music

Vatusus
Artstyle and graphics are the same thing. Can't have one without the other.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#106 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Gameplay >>> Story/characters > artstyle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics > Music

FPSfan1985

Not true at all.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 parkurtommo

this continues to enforce my belief that most gamers have no clue about the developer side of the gaming world

NoodleFighter
And they really don't.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Hilarious, Yerli has obviously misssed the mark hugely. Graphics are nice but if they drive the game then the game is going to suck in the long run. Graphics of that level are only icing, not the cake.

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

I'm putting money that Homefront 2 is gonna suck now.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

26624-Christina-Hendricks-LOL-gif-a38u.g.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#111 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Graphics are nice, but physics, AI and interactivity with the environment are all better uses of processing power.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 parkurtommo

Graphics are nice, but physics, AI and interactivity with the environment are all better uses of processing power.

scoots9
wat
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

parkurtommo

Not true at all.

Please explain to me how you can have an art style without also having graphics or vice versa.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Crytek games: 60% graphics, 0.8% story, 1.7% gameplay, 37.5% NOTHING.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

During development yes graphics are 60% of your product but the end product is not crysis proves a game can look beautiful and still have a shit storyline and gameplay.

You can have good looks but im not gonna be interested if you have no brain or personality.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 FPSfan1985

During development yes graphics are 60% of your product but the end product is not crysis proves a game can look beautiful and still have a shit storyline and gameplay.

You can have good looks but im not gonna be interested if you have no brain or personality.

WilliamRLBaker
Crysis's gameplay is good though. Can't name many FPSers that do better.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#117 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

What does the other 40 percent go into then? Gameplay?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Get the f*ck out, Cevat.

Ly_the_Fairy

He didn't say that.

No he didn't say that. I did.

Weren't you paying attention to my comment?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

He didn't say that.

You're questioning what he said, and I'm saying that's not what he said.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

look how many people disliked this and hated because of the graphics and the fact they said it ran on UE4

NoodleFighter

lol that's the demo that dev made in 2 months.

exactly but those idiots don't care they just assume since it's UE4 everygame made on it will instantly look like this

epicgamesunrealengine4infiltratordemo-00

this continues to enforce my belief that most gamers have no clue about the developer side of the gaming world

Pretty much. Its not the engine that makes games, its the people that make games. Perfection won't just pop up out of nowhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#120 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

FPSfan1985

Its true you cant have one without the other but they aren't the same thing...

substitue "graphics" by "great graphics" and you get a better picture. Anyways, you knew what I meant. No need to be overly technical about an obvious meaning :|

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#121 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

He didn't say that.

Ly_the_Fairy

You're questioning what he said, and I'm saying that's not what he said.

*Rhetorical questioning

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Ly_the_Fairy

He didn't say that.

Everyone in this thread seems to think that Crytek is implying that better, more photo-realistic graphics are what matters.

He's saying graphics are 60% of any game, and he's not wrong. I mean maybe you can't put a number value on it, but he's right in saying that graphics are a humungous part of immersing you in a world, and that world can be 8-bit, imaginative, artsy, or photo-realistic. It doesn't really matter. 

He actually said at the end that its a part of the whole spectrum, not in itself.

Graphics are computer models, but I have a feeling he was talking of the whole picture, which has mutual art style, sound, etc. In that case I think he isn't wrong about the implications of graphics to power since more power can definitely lead to more artificial enhancements, or maybe even natural. I don't agree though that he put it in a separate leagure before that though.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Vatusus

substitue "graphics" by "great graphics" and you get a better picture. Anyways, you knew what I meant. No need to be overly technical about an obvious meaning :|

Graphics are technically not art style. Its just the models and any bells and whistles associated with them.

Art style is a tie in to graphics but they are not mutual.

SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
A shit story line and decent mediocre gameplay that pc gamers hype like the second coming. I had more fun in Uncharted series than the crysis series. The shooting was awesome and the gameplay was decent and the whole time I was chasing levels and checkpoints.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] Artstyle and graphics are the same thing. Can't have one without the other.AznbkdX

Graphics are technically not art style. Its just the models and any bells and whistles associated with them.

Of course they are. They are the exact same thing. Literally no difference. I don't see how you could ever separate the two.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] Artstyle and graphics are the same thing. Can't have one without the other.Ly_the_Fairy

But, again, Crytek stated that graphics are a fundamental part of every game, big or small, photo-realistic, or 8-bit, artsy, imaginative, futuristic, or whatever.

For instance every genre, outside of text adventures, could not exist without graphics. On top of that there are a ton of gameplay features that have a heavy reliance on graphics. Things like the Portal gun in Portal, for instance.

On top of that graphics are also a fundamental part of immersion in games. The reason a game like Silent Hill looks scary, and Super Mario does not, despite both being 3D games, has everything to do with the graphical assets of the game. The graphical assets of Silent Hill allow the game to be more atmospheric, more immersive, and this in turn helps drive the story.

And that's what Cevat is talking about. He's not saying graphics are 60%, gameplay is 20%, music is 10%, and story is 10%. He's saying that graphics are a fundamental part of nearly every aspect of a game no matter what the game looks like (because he is not implying a game must be photo-realistic)

I have a feeling he is mixing up the terms tbf. Graphics are NOT art style and are greatly beneficial (probably more than 60% actually since without graphics you don't have a game), but there is always a ton of misinformation on the matter.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

No.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

AznbkdX

But, again, Crytek stated that graphics are a fundamental part of every game, big or small, photo-realistic, or 8-bit, artsy, imaginative, futuristic, or whatever.

For instance every genre, outside of text adventures, could not exist without graphics. On top of that there are a ton of gameplay features that have a heavy reliance on graphics. Things like the Portal gun in Portal, for instance.

On top of that graphics are also a fundamental part of immersion in games. The reason a game like Silent Hill looks scary, and Super Mario does not, despite both being 3D games, has everything to do with the graphical assets of the game. The graphical assets of Silent Hill allow the game to be more atmospheric, more immersive, and this in turn helps drive the story.

And that's what Cevat is talking about. He's not saying graphics are 60%, gameplay is 20%, music is 10%, and story is 10%. He's saying that graphics are a fundamental part of nearly every aspect of a game no matter what the game looks like (because he is not implying a game must be photo-realistic)

I have a feeling he is mixing up the terms tbf. Graphics are NOT art style and are greatly beneficial (probably more than 60% actually since without graphics you don't have a game), but there is always a ton of misinformation on the matter.

A "graphic" is a picture, and no matter what a picture looks like it's still a graphic, and in turn no matter what a game's art style is it's still composed of "graphics".

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

FPSfan1985

Of course they are. They are the exact same thing. Literally no difference. I don't see how you could ever separate the two.

Graphics tend to get mixed up with art style. Its not really the same.

Graphics are computer animated models. Its a prototype stage of the process and is dependent more on how you frame it. Art style is to graphics to make graphics look so called "crisp" or gives it that flair.

Thats just the way I look at it. I may be in the minority considering that their is always misinformation or things tend to compound onto one another.

May be a little off topic but I feel that it applies here. Realism is actually an art style believe it or not. It may look like "good graphics" and are normally cast away from other artsy games, but the only way to know for sure is to know the mechanisms behind it. It uses different models but its up to the people to make the art style for those models. 

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

A "graphic" is a picture, and no matter what a picture looks like it's still a graphic, and in turn no matter what a game's art style is it's still composed of "graphics".

That's true. I didn't say otherwise. Graphics are graphics, and are normally included with everything. Originally though they are models, and are implanted with art style. That's what I mean, so graphics are very important because without the canvas, you don't have the game, but without the paint you don't have "good" graphics.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

Graphics tend to get mixed up with art style. Its not really the same.

Graphics are computer animated models. Its a prototype stage of the process and is dependent more on how you frame it. Art style is to graphics to make graphics look so called "crisp" or gives it that flair.

Thats just the way I look at it. I may be in the minority considering that their is always misinformation or things tend to compound onto one another.

May be a little off topic but I feel that it applies here. Realism is actually an art style believe it or not. It may look like "good graphics" and are normally cast away from other artsy games, but the only way to know for sure is to know the mechanisms behind it. It uses different models but its up to the people to make the art style for those models. 

I understand thats how you see things. What I don't understand is how you came to that conclusion. Whether a game is cell shaded, or realistic doesn't change that fact it's a graphic.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

That's true. I didn't say otherwise. Graphics are graphics, and are normally included with everything. Originally though they are models, and are implanted with art style. That's what I mean, so graphics are very important because without the canvas, you don't have the game, but without the paint you don't have "good" graphics.

Graphics aren't the canvas.

The engine is the canvas, the graphics are the paint, and the art style is simply what you paint, but both the graphics and art style are still paint.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#133 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

How do you come up with that number? Why not 50? 70? It's all a bunch of bullsh*t, he's just trying to hype up the how good their game will look.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
FTL was one of my favourite games of 2012 and graphically it looks bad even by SNES standards, sooo....
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#135 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Depends in the game. Something like Resident Evil Remake. I'd say graphics are 75% and set the tone.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]That's true. I didn't say otherwise. Graphics are graphics, and are normally included with everything. Originally though they are models, and are implanted with art style. That's what I mean, so graphics are very important because without the canvas, you don't have the game, but without the paint you don't have "good" graphics.AznbkdX

Graphics aren't the canvas.The engine is the canvas, the graphics are the paint, and the art style is simply what you paint, but both the graphics and art style are still paint.

The engine is the assistant and the guy handing you royalties, the canvas is the graphics you work on and is where you make your overall vision, and artstyle is the paint and what you do with it.

Eh either way, they are the same. At the same time they aren't.

Well that analogy sucks because a game engine is not an assistant :P

Not to sound snobby, but the analogy truly does make more sense when you consider the engine as the canvas. :P In fact it may only make sense that way.

A game engine is what you build a game in much like a canvas is what you paint on. Each game engine is different in what it provides in terms of AI functionality, lightning, physics, etc much like a paper canvas is different from painting on the side of a building, or whatever.

On top of that the actual definition of the word "graphic" is "visual representation" :P It's not something you put your vision onto. It actually is the vision.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

The engine is the assistant and the guy handing you royalties, the canvas is the graphics you work on and is where you make your overall vision, and artstyle is the paint and what you do with it.

Eh either way, they are the same. At the same time they aren't.AznbkdX

Well that analogy sucks because a game engine is not an assistant :PNot to sound snobby, but the analogy truly does make more sense when you consider the engine as the canvas. :P In fact it may only make sense that way.A game engine is what you build a game in much like a canvas is what you paint on. Each game engine is different in what it provides in terms of AI functionality, lightning, physics, etc much like a paper canvas is different from painting on the side of a building, or whatever.On top of that the actual definition of the word "graphic" is "visual representation" :P It's not something you put your vision onto. It actually is the vision.

The analogy does make sense but is missing the game portion who is the collector and the painter that may or may not make ends meet in the end based off the engine and all other components like marketing. :P

Either way graphics are the vision altogether, but technically can be considered different in some ways since a graphic is pretty generic even on definition.

The analogy doesn't make sense because a graphic is not a model, it's not physics, it's not poly count, it's not lighting, it's not particle count, it's none of that.

A graphic is the culmination of anything, and everything someone puts into an image. You do not put art onto graphics. The art is the graphics.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
And that 40% of the rest resulted 7.5 and similar result on metacritic. Minecraft has 1% of graphics and do a lot more buzz then Crysis 3 ever did
Quad4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Quad4Life
Member since 2013 • 776 Posts
Crytek games: 60% graphics, 0.8% story, 1.7% gameplay, 37.5% NOTHING.silversix_
You are pretty stupid btw Crysis beat out Bioshock, Halo 3, and CoD 4 in 07 for FPS of the year. It also scored a 9.5 with Gamespot mentioning it as being a revolutionary FPS. Go play some more CoD, bro.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

The Irony of it all is amazing, someonequick post a screenshot praising the graphics of a game not on PC and see what game PC fanboys use to counter ...

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
What?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="silversix_"]Crytek games: 60% graphics, 0.8% story, 1.7% gameplay, 37.5% NOTHING.Quad4Life
You are pretty stupid btw Crysis beat out Bioshock, Halo 3, and CoD 4 in 07 for FPS of the year. It also scored a 9.5 with Gamespot mentioning it as being a revolutionary FPS. Go play some more CoD, bro.

Crysis was good. Warhead was good. 2 and 3 suck though and are about 60% graphics and 2% gameplay.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#143 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

The Irony of it all is amazing, someonequick post a screenshot praising the graphics of a game not on PC and see what game PC fanboys use to counter ...

Zaibach

i don't understand your "irony". Crysis 3 graphically still beats the sh1t out of everything even if the game itself is not good. So it is obvious when people talk about graphics they are going to mention it.

Now, how important are graphics?, that depends on each person. Ipersonally loved Red dead redemption but i cringed every time i saw those graphics.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
How can you take someone seriously who applies a friggin percentage to something that's so subjective.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Come on now, graphics aren't overemphasized enough? Crytek should keep their mouth shut..

Not that it matters since this is probably just self-promotion by Crytek and nothing more. The leader in console and PC graphics saying graphics are important? You don't say..

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

This statement depends on the game. For example, is Tetris really 60% graphics? Compared to a game that depends on graphics to set a mood. For example, that movie-game that's like reading a book on the PS3. I can't remember the name. 

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

This statement depends on the game. For example, is Tetris really 60% graphics? Compared to a game that depends on graphics to set a mood. For example, that movie-game that's like reading a book on the PS3. I can't remember the name. 

trugs26
Heavy Rain?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Cry trek is saying good games are 60% graphics? Makes sense because I'd say all their games are 60% graphics, 30% sound design, 3% presentation, 3% gameplay, 2% art design, and 2% campaign--or at least that's their priority.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#149 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
He is right about one thing. Crysis is about graphics, because the game wouldn't be able to stand on its gameplay.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Ly_the_Fairy

Come on now, graphics aren't overemphasized enough? Crytek should keep their mouth shut..

Not that it matters since this is probably just self-promotion by Crytek and nothing more. The leader in console and PC graphics saying graphics are important? You don't say..

final_lap

He's saying graphics are 60% of the overall experience of a game. He's NOT saying they need to be photo-realistic, nor is he breaking a game up into chunks like that.

He's saying graphics are key to a game's immersion, atmosphere, and subsequently story-telling by way of making believable worlds, and characters.

On top of that certain gameplay elements actually rely on the graphics at hand, and even entire genres may be based around the graphics they use. Something like a third person shooter couldn't exist prior to 3D, for example.

It's not about pushing graphics tech. That's not what he's saying. He's just saying that any game, big or small, artsy or photorealistic, 2D or 3D, or anything in between, has a huge reliance on graphics to draw a player into the world, and allow gameplay elements to flow smoothly.