Crytek: Graphics are 60 percent of a game

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

And lol@ Cevat Yerli.

I think he's going mad because his studio,which was regarded as one of the greats not too long ago,is now irrelevant.

He was successful...now he's dirt.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's a misquote by gamespot. In the article he said: "The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are--paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game," Meaning all those thiongs together constitues 60% of the experience. I think that's fairly accurate for a lot of games. For some, like Assassin's Creed for example, it's prob closer to 75%Sushiglutton

I wouldn't say misquote, just selective quoting. Also I don't know how he lumped Sound/Audio in with the rest of those graphcis things to conclude saying they "make things look spectacular" 

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

If I had to pull some stats out of my ass, I'd say visual presentation generally makes 40% of the game for me.

50% would go to gameplay, and the remaining 10% for story, sound, etc...

There are plenty of exceptions to these "rules", though, especially while dealing with indie titles.

Rocker6

I actually think sound design matters more than that. Sound design has a lot to do with why some moves, guns, etc feels so awesome and empowering. When you tap the trigger to fire a gun a lot of the feedback is sound design.

Avatar image for Consolessuck187
Consolessuck187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Consolessuck187
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts
Play crysis then go play quake.....crysis is a clunky piece of shit in comparison.
raging_user

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raging_user
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

makes me wonder why SW doesn't have something like rpg kings, instead of the annual graphics king threads

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

If I had to pull some stats out of my ass, I'd say visual presentation generally makes 40% of the game for me.

There are plenty of exceptions to these "rules", though, especially while dealing with indie titles.

seanmcloughlin

I actually think sound design matters more than that. Sound design has a lot to do with why some moves, guns, etc feels so awesome and empowering. When you tap the trigger to fire a gun a lot of the feedback is sound design.

Sound design is a huge thing for me too. 

I'd say 25 visual, 25 sound and 50 gameplay

I think it's much harder than people think to seperate what they think of as gameplay from animations, graphics and sound design. For example after completing Max Payne 3 I went back to replay MP2, one of my favourite games of all time. However the gameplay felt awful. Shooting guys was simply not fun anymore. The guns felt like toys and the enemies like paper figures. I had to stop to not soil the memory anymore.

But the reason MP2 felt so lackluster to play had nothing to do with gameplay. The games play pretty much the same (except a couple of additions like cover in MP3). But the animations and sound design in MP3 are just sooo much better that it radically changes the entire experience imo. I think many gamers would erroneously call this a gameplay difference, when it's really not.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I barely glimpsed the article, but I think the title may be misleading in a way. He went by the same judgment that we all make: graphics are a part of power, which is comprised of the things in the game in general. He shouldn't have really said it the way he did in the beginning, but he does make a far off point which was at the end of the article.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Seems like Cevat can't keep his damn mouth closed again.

"People say that graphics don't matter, but play Crysis and tell me they don't matter," Yerli said. "It's always been about graphics driving gameplay.Graphics, whether it's lighting or shadows, puts you in a different emotional context and drives the immersion," Yerli said. "And immersion is effectively the number one thing we can use to help you buy into the world."

While I do think visuals play a far bigger role in games these days than most care to admit, I think 60 percent is far too much. Crysis 3 did indeed have amazing visuals but it lacked good gameplay and story to back it up and if it really was 60% of the experience for games then it still should have been pretty well liked. 

Maybe for Crysis it's just 60% visuals cos it has fvck all else

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/crytek-graphics-are-60-percent-of-a-game-6406893

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

"People say that graphics don't matter, but play Crysis and tell me they don't matter," Yerli said.

seanmcloughlin

I have played crysis multiple times.

Graphics don't matter.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Graphics are important...real important. 

But when you try to break it down in precent form like that graphics wouldn't be anywhere near 60% for me. fail Crytek.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Crysis 1 was a graphical beast and it was very fun to play. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? NOPE! And you know what made Crysis 1 fun to play? It was the amazing Nanosuit.

Switching through the nanosuit powers quickly as the scenario changed was a huge requirement in Delta. That made it fun! Crysis 2 and 3? The suit does the crap for you. NOT FUN AT ALL!

All Crysis games had crap story. But Crysis 1 had amazing graphics with super fun gameplay. The single player and multiplayer of Crysis 1 (and Warhead/Wars) was a billion times better than the turd of Crysis 2 and 3.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sushiglutton
It's a misquote by gamespot. In the article he said: "The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are--paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game," Meaning all those thiongs together constitues 60% of the experience. I think that's fairly accurate for a lot of games. For some, like Assassin's Creed for example, it's prob closer to 75%
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

this is why crysis sucks, they focused to much on the graphics, while the gameplay ends up being mediocre

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

"People say that graphics don't matter, but play Crysis and tell me they don't matter," Yerli said.

call_of_duty_10

Graphics don't matter.

this. my first 2 playthroughs were on low-medium
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

The guy is ignorantly wrong again. If the game is all about graphics and lacks decent gameplay and story, it's not a good game. The original Crysis did a good job balancing both graphics and gameplay, hence it is seen as an excellent game.

I do wonder when he will learn to shut up. I guess consolisation is getting to him.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

and this is why crysis games are mediocre.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Yerli doesn't know what he's talking about. 25% Graphics 25% Sound, Music, Voice SFX 25% Game play, Controls, Immersive Elements 25% Fun, Enjoyment and various emotional pleasures.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

i'm trying to enjoy a game that is fun and a good time, not a photorealistic world simulator. The fact that the indie scene has exploded, i'm not the only one who feels that way.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Crysis is 90% graphics not so much else...:lol:

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Graphics are 80% of a game because it sells well to peasants.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Importance wise, i would say 30%. I love eye candy. 

20% is reserved for the sound design/soundtrack - which enhanced the mood, creates a portion of the atmosphere, and overall sets the tone of the game. A game with crappy music and bad sound design will hinder the experience greatly for me.

And 50% is reserved to the gameplay. You can't have a good game without gameplay that isn't crap. 

SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

Graphics are 80% of a game because it sells well to peasants.

PCgameruk
I don't know the Wii moved a lot of shitty games
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Visuals represent the vast majority of stimuli games give us, followed by audio, so he's not wrong :?

As far as I'm concerned, retro games would be far less appealing without the "retro" tag....

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Exactly why Crysis games are forgettable. Only thing people remember about them is the graphics and never if the game is actually any good. Moving forward Crytek needs to eventually acknowledge, they can have awesome looking game but they need to make sure everything else in the game is awesome also.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="blackace"]Yerli doesn't know what he's talking about. 25% Graphics 25% Sound, Music, Voice SFX 25% Game play, Controls, Immersive Elements 25% Fun, Enjoyment and various emotional pleasures.

50% Presentation 25% Game play, Controls, Immersive Elements 25% Fun, Enjoyment and various emotional pleasures
Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts
Nah I'd play an Unreal 3 game like ME2 a thousand times before I played Crysis 1, 2, or 3 a couple times.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

No. 

Screenshot-5.png

No.

gfs_85675_2_3.jpg

And since he didn't even specify VIDEO games, I'm gonna be a total jerk and say HELL NO!

manual-del-jugador-3.5.jpg

263175.jpg

ah_prod_diplomacy_pic3_en.jpg

In Diplomacy's case, it's a triple HELL NO because you don't really need the actual board, dice, miniatures, or anything other than a solid understanding of its rules and a group of reasonably intelligent friends to play. The map can be printed out, xeroxed, displayed on a screen or whatever and your troops can be represented by beans, rice, pieces of paper or whatever.

A game is a set of rules and, more often than not, depending on the type of game, a universe, an imaginary setting. If the rules delilver the goods and the setting (if it's the kind of game that requires one) is well made, you've got yourself a winner right there. 

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Lol @ all these hermits saying graphics don't matter.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Lol @ all these hermits saying graphics don't matter.Chrome-

Oh the irony!

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]It's a misquote by gamespot. In the article he said: "The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are--paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game," Meaning all those thiongs together constitues 60% of the experience. I think that's fairly accurate for a lot of games. For some, like Assassin's Creed for example, it's prob closer to 75%seanmcloughlin

I wouldn't say misquote, just selective quoting. Also I don't know how he lumped Sound/Audio in with the rest of those graphcis things to conclude saying they "make things look spectacular" 

Perhaps selective quoting is the proper term. I just think they pulled something out of context to provoce people and get clicks. I'm not upset about it, standard internet practice. But yeah that's what's going on...
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
It depends on what type of game you are playing, really. I find graphics much more important in first person games than other genres.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I've been playing MGS3HD. That game is freaking beautiful, and plays better than any of the Crysis games D: Problem Crytek?
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Play crysis then go play quake.....crysis is a clunky piece of shit in comparison.Consolessuck187
I think Crysis is better, actually. It's a little too easy, but the open world environment and competent AI is tough to beat.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Iantheone
Lol @ all these hermits saying graphics don't matter.Chrome-
Framerate, modability, exclusives and resolution <3
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Sushiglutton

You're not the only one. Proper sound design, especially in horror games, can be so much more important to the experience than the visual output. Ofcourse to an extent - playing the game as a text horror adventure, for example, wouldn't be cool.  

And playing a shoot 'em up with a adrenaline pumping soundrack that matches the fast gameplay is exhilarating. Playing the same shoot 'em up with a slow country style of a music is, again, not so cool on the enjoyment factor. 

Actually it can kill the game for me.  

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
[QUOTE="Chrome-"]Lol @ all these hermits saying graphics don't matter.Iantheone

Yes, and two out of those four are included in the graphics category.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Iantheone
[QUOTE="Chrome-"] Yes, and two out of those four are included in the graphics category.

Exactly, some parts of what is considered graphics are important. Graphics arent the be all end all, but they still are important.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#39 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

If you can't do gameplay right and make it fun, You should Stop working on graphics and work little more on gameplay that matters more... 

Then again all it seems is Crytek 3 can do is stupid trees 

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

call_of_duty_10

Graphics don't matter.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Well perceptually, he's not wrong. The vast majority (about 90%) of the brain's processing of the senses focuses on visuals... far more than all the other senses put together. Still, games aren't just purely sensory experiences, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Sushiglutton

Sound design is a huge thing for me too. 

I'd say 25 visual, 25 sound and 50 gameplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="Chrome-"]Lol @ all these hermits saying graphics don't matter.Chrome-

Yes, and two out of those four are included in the graphics category.

And? 

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

Console gamers are literally only getting 40% of every game they buy. Subtract another 10% because you can't have fun without being physically prepared for it the way we are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Certainly explains why people can enjoy NES games to this day. Dem visuals.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I really don't think Crytek should be talking about what makes a game when their past 2 have been so bad.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I think graphics are very important to the game but not as much as he thinks. Coming from the guy with a leading graphics engine, who wouldn't expect him to say that?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Of course graphics matter. Making a "x%" claim is silly. But there are really important.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Crysis 1 was a graphical beast and it was very fun to play. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? NOPE! And you know what made Crysis 1 fun to play? It was the amazing Nanosuit.

Switching through the nanosuit powers quickly as the scenario changed was a huge requirement in Delta. That made it fun! Crysis 2 and 3? The suit does the crap for you. NOT FUN AT ALL!

All Crysis games had crap story. But Crysis 1 had amazing graphics with super fun gameplay. The single player and multiplayer of Crysis 1 (and Warhead/Wars) was a billion times better than the turd of Crysis 2 and 3.

ShadowDeathX
I think Crysis 1 story was good not great but good enough compared to the 2nd or 3rd.
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Maybe thats why their games have awful stories.