Crack Down On Pointless Or Opinionless Threads.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

question why do I need to have an opinion. What if all I am doing is spreading news. Why do I have to state how I feel about it?

Also what is technically the difference between GGD and SW?

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

I think before anyone can post a comment they should be forced to read the OP. If they find it too long then stay out of teh thread.

Also if the person comes in the thread saying they don't care then they should be moderated for just trying to be disruptive.

too_much_eslim

Thats trolling. If you see that report it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]Sounds great Cake, I would also love to see that level 1-5 user lock.Jandurin
This. This should be set all around Gamespot. It would make stupid level 1 account suicides so much harder >_>. Actually, it would make them impossible.

I wonder if cake would allow us a thread campaigning for this and trying to get as many SW users as possible to petition the suggestions board (in a single thread not spamming) - ok i know he won't, but this would smash so many of the pointless threads. As for new users, it takes maybe a week or so to get to level 5, its probably a good thing most newbies don't make their own topics :)
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

I think before anyone can post a comment they should be forced to read the OP. If they find it too long then stay out of teh thread.

Also if the person comes in the thread saying they don't care then they should be moderated for just trying to be disruptive.

cakeorrdeath

oh? On the "I don't care " part or both?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

too_much_eslim

The I dont care part.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

cakeorrdeath

The I dont care part.

ok. Can you also clarify some issues i had on pg 5?
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 cakeorrdeath

ok. Can you also clarify some issues i had on pg 5?too_much_eslim

How many posts per page do you see?

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

If the thread as dumb as a rock - will get lock !

Official SW Motto ? j/k ;)

SecretPolice

How about :

If Tc's IQ is less than a rock, then the thread gets teh lock.

:)

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 too_much_eslim

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"] ok. Can you also clarify some issues i had on pg 5?cakeorrdeath

How many posts per page do you see?

Ok my mistake it is the post at the top pf this page.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 cakeorrdeath

question why do I need to have an opinion. What if all I am doing is spreading news. Why do I have to state how I feel about it?

too_much_eslim

Opinions create discussion.

Spend 10 minutes in GGD and you will see the difference.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

cakeorrdeath

Opinions create discussion.

Spend 10 minutes in GGD and you will see the difference.

Posting news doesn't create discussion?

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 too_much_eslim

Ok after seeing GGD what is the point of SW then. I mean what is the point of increasing moderation if the point of SW is just to allow a place for fanboys to talk. SW seem like a place that encourages fanboyism.

heck now that I know about GGD I think I am better off spending my time there. The problem is there is more traffic in SW then on any other board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

The problem is there is more traffic in SW then on any other board.

too_much_eslim
Off Topic is catching up. :x That's right. For now, games > everything else imaginable. But, someday, everything else will > games :x
Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts
This makes no sense, no offense. I have seen a thread showing new screens of a game, a new review of a game locked. I don't understand. Can you please add a rule that the mods have to post saying why it was locked? That would be much better.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#115 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

too_much_eslim

You can't really compare the systems in GGD. It's all about the games only.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Well all i can say now that i think about it, your gonna lose alot of traffic around here.

System wars was created specifically for fanboyism, it was created so the mods didn't have to go around cleaning this stuff up from other forums.

and now your basically telling us that what this place was made for is no longer allowed? traffic will definately fall here.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

To me that sounds like GGD except with debates. I don't like it. SW is created for the fanboy rants. Without SW you would see fanboy rant's on every board a lot more frequently. Stating opinions a fact=trolling lol...When you are posting anything its an opinion lol. Hell the entire IMO or IMHO phrase needs to be destroyed tbh. This place is nothing more than a shadow of it's self.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 kage_53

Ok after seeing GGD what is the point of SW then. I mean what is the point of increasing moderation if the point of SW is just to allow a place for fanboys to talk. SW seem like a place that encourages fanboyism.

heck now that I know about GGD I think I am better off spending my time there. The problem is there is more traffic in SW then on any other board.

too_much_eslim
In GGD you can't have any debates. In SW you can. That's pretty much it because of these rules lol.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
oh yes i would like to suggest permantly banning trolls who just troll if they refuse to give up their trolling after repeated warnings. i believe that here on gamespot suspensions are indefinite and aren't linked to banning. that would improve things a lot.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

oh yes i would like to suggest permantly banning trolls who just troll if they refuse to give up their trolling after repeated warnings. i believe that here on gamespot suspensions are indefinite and aren't linked to banning. that would improve things a lot.crunchUK

we already do that. get too many moderations and you're gone for good.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 crunchUK

[QUOTE="crunchUK"]oh yes i would like to suggest permantly banning trolls who just troll if they refuse to give up their trolling after repeated warnings. i believe that here on gamespot suspensions are indefinite and aren't linked to banning. that would improve things a lot.CaseyWegner

yes but there is a considerale difference betwwen someon who has been here for 3 years and get say, 10 moderations, and someone who has got moderations almost one straight after the other.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

I think disabling users level 1 - 5 thread making abilities in system wars will help keep troll topics from popping up all the time. It might just be me, but I've never seen a topic made by anyone in that level actually post a cool, calm, non-trolling thread, ever. While I know not all low level users aren't complete numb-tards (did I just make that up?), a good majority of them are, or atleast the ones in System Wars.Spartan8907

i agree.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
In GGD you can't have any debates. kage_53

What the heck are you talking about?
mali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 mali
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts

Should there be a crackdown on Famitsu, NPD, or software/hardware threads? Most often, the TCs do not present an opinion and post facts and figures on their threads.

One last thing: I suggest that in order to reduce the number of trolls on this forum is to require that poster have at least a level 10 or 15 to post threads. I do remember that it reduced the number of trolls spreading false information on the Super Smash Bros. Brawl shared forum. I may also suggest a "three strikes" rule on trolling or flaming, where people will be banned for trolling or flaming three times on System Wars or on any of the forums.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
YES! FINALLY! OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!
*bows*
So sick of this pointless threads.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts

Should there be a crackdown on Famitsu, NPD, or software/hardware threads? Most often, the TCs do not present an opinion and post facts and figures on their threads.

One last thing: I suggest that in order to reduce the number of trolls on this forum is to require that poster have at least a level 10 or 15 to post threads.

mali

Highly disagree with the first point. There only posting facts and figures, yes, but it leads to a discussion, often where the TC posts his opinion. Posting the figures in the opening thread, seperate from the TCs opinion, makes things a lot easier. Both to see what is the factual information, and ensuring the TCs opinion isn't lost within the void.

And There defintly should be a level restriction, both on making threads, and posting. There would be a lot less trolls if you had to be level 10 to make a thread, or level 5 to post...something like that.

As for your final point, about a three strike rule, I think that's going a little far. Although there should defintly be stricted regulations on bans, the timeframe should defintly play a factor. Meaning that if you get modded for flaming/trolling once a month, than that's not really a problem. It's when you're doing it all the time that a ban should be considered. Meaning that if all you do is troll, like protossrush did for example, than a ban is defntly in order.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 crunchUK
[QUOTE="mali"]

One last thing: I suggest that in order to reduce the number of trolls on this forum is to require that poster have at least a level 10 or 15 to post threads.

darkslider99

Highly disagree with the first point. There only posting facts and figures, yes, but it leads to a discussion, often where the TC posts his opinion. Posting the figures in the opening thread, seperate from the TCs opinion, makes things a lot easier. Both to see what is the factual information, and ensuring the TCs opinion isn't lost within the void.

And There defintly should be a level restriction, both on making threads, and posting. There would be a lot less trolls if you had to be level 10 to make a thread, or level 5 to post...something like that.

As for your final point, about a three strike rule, I think that's going a little far. Although there should defintly be stricted regulations on bans, the timeframe should defintly play a factor. Meaning that if you get modded for flaming/trolling once a month, than that's not really a problem. It's when you're doing it all the time that a ban should be considered. Meaning that if all you do is troll, like protossrush did for example, than a ban is defntly in order.

if you ask me ithink he means when some breaking news comes up and the whole board gets filled with like 13 identical topics.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="crunchUK"]oh yes i would like to suggest permantly banning trolls who just troll if they refuse to give up their trolling after repeated warnings. i believe that here on gamespot suspensions are indefinite and aren't linked to banning. that would improve things a lot.crunchUK

yes but there is a considerale difference betwwen someon who has been here for 3 years and get say, 10 moderations, and someone who has got moderations almost one straight after the other.

and we've always taken that into account.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 crunchUK
[QUOTE="crunchUK"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="crunchUK"]oh yes i would like to suggest permantly banning trolls who just troll if they refuse to give up their trolling after repeated warnings. i believe that here on gamespot suspensions are indefinite and aren't linked to banning. that would improve things a lot.CaseyWegner

and we've always taken that into account.

WELL THEN i guess EVERYTHING is wrapped up in one convenient PACKAGE :P

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#130 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

One last thing: I suggest that in order to reduce the number of trolls on this forum is to require that poster have at least a level 10 or 15 to post threads. I do remember that it reduced the number of trolls spreading false information on the Super Smash Bros. Brawl shared forum. I may also suggest a "three strikes" rule on trolling or flaming, where people will be banned for trolling or flaming three times on System Wars or on any of the forums.

mali

I think level 10 - 15 is a bit too high. It should be Level 5 at the most.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Well, it's better anyway. Remove the "opinion required in OP" part and it's downright pleasant.

The OP doesn't need an opinion, SW discussion will ensue regardless. Also, I disagree on the level cap. I would not have stayed on Gamespot until level 5 without SW.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Yuck. Well lets see how this plays out.
S0nicBooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 S0nicBooom
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

Was System Wars not created to bring all the ranting and trolling from the console boards into one spot? Seriously, the more restrictions, the less appealing System Wars becomes. SW used to be alot more interesting and fun when besides the necessary regulations(i.e.- swearing, pr0n, multitheads,double posts,...) the only real regulations were wit, and the community.

At this rate soon we'll have regulation offices,

EPA-Excessive Posting Association CIA- Controllers of Illegal Articles , FCC- Fakeboy Crackdown Commision, FEMA- Factual Error Moderation Association FTC-Federation of Thread Creation NASA-No Arguments of Systems Association OPM- Opinion Posting Management

I'm sorry, but name calling, argueing, ranting, debating, getting people riled up, ganging up, are really the things that this board was founded on and i find are the most fun. I know i've found myself coming less and less to system wars. It seems to me that SW is on the same path that E3 took. Trying to become more functional, strict, and formal. (We all know how that one turned out.) I agree that some of the regulations that have been implaced are somwhat for the better, but there is a point where you should take a step out side of yourself and just say, "Let the community have thier board for once."

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Tsug_Ze_Wind

Was System Wars not created to bring all the ranting and trolling from the console boards into one spot? Seriously, the more restrictions, the less appealing System Wars becomes. SW used to be alot more interesting and fun when besides the necessary regulations(i.e.- swearing, pr0n, multitheads,double posts,...) the only real regulations were wit, and the community.

EPA-Excessive Posting Association CIA- Controllers of Illegal Articles , FCC- Fakeboy Crackdown Commision, FEMA- Factual Error Moderation Association FTC-Federation of Thread Creation NASA-No Arguments of Systems Association OPM- Opinion Posting Management

I'm sorry, but name calling, argueing, ranting, debating, getting people riled up, ganging up, are really the things that this board was founded on and i find are the most fun. I know i've found myself coming less and less to system wars. It seems to me that SW is on the same path that E3 took. Trying to become more functional, strict, and formal. (We all know how that one turned out.) I agree that some of the regulations that have been implaced are somwhat for the better, but there is a point where you should take a step out side of yourself and just say, "Let the community have thier board for once."

S0nicBooom

This post is pure truth. It's not too late to change direction. The outcome of this is a good start, but we need to do much more.

renger6002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 renger6002
Member since 2004 • 4481 Posts

Well, it's better anyway. Remove the "opinion required in OP" part and it's downright pleasant.

The OP doesn't need an opinion, SW discussion will ensue regardless. Also, I disagree on the level cap. I would not have stayed on Gamespot until level 5 without SW.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

1.agree

2. but its different, I only liked SW as well, but I mostly read it and posted in already made threads, imo most ppl who have just entered SW do not start making new topics.

thats just me though

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I agree with what TVB said. Not only for the reasons he outlined, but because some mods apparently lack the necessary reading comprehension skills to do their job. Case in point, I was moderated for trolling for this OP (apparently someone forgot to recharge their sarcasm/satire detector). I've had enough problems with moderators taking my posts out of context prior to these new rules, so I'm not exactly thrilled about the potential for even more moderations.

Also sometimes when I create a thread I don't have an opinion (or at least not an obvious "I think X" one) in the OP in order to help create a discussion. To go back to the same post, you'll notice that even though I clearly posted my opinion (even if it was misconstrued by some) there isn't really any discussion. However if I were to make a post saying along the lines of just "Sins of a Solar Empire sells X Copies" without any opinion I think it would be more likely to spark a debate because it forces users to interpret the information themselves. You can't just say "TC is right/wrong".

As for GGD the problem there is that it has as many problems (if not more) concerning rules, moderation and the ToU as SW does. I can live with SW becoming strictly "System X is greater than System Y" if that's the direction people really want to take, but for Christ's sake fix GGD before you decide to dump a bunch of users over there.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 kage_53
[QUOTE="kage_53"] In GGD you can't have any debates. Teufelhuhn

Just about every thread that had X vs X get locked or anything similar gets and people tell it to take that into sw. And don't even get me started on those rules there.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

too_much_eslim

A couple of beers and a functioning personality.

GGD does not allow "system wars content", and takes a different tone from SW. Whether it's "better" or "worse" is a matter of opinion.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 subrosian

[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Yes, this place would be much better if people here learned how to use General Games Discussion and their blogs. I've found that at least half the topics here don't even belong in System Wars.famicommander
like BB said GGD is pretty much dead but now i can see why it would be a idea though.I'm not sure if this place would be much better regardless if people learned to use that.I'll agree that some stuff should be blogged but sometimes u just have to post in a nice long thread just to see what will come out of the debate,sometimes its hard to pass up crazy replies.

GGD is not dead. I post there every day. And don't you think that it would perhaps be more active if people posted their miscategorized System Wars topics there?

Why on earth should System Warriors put their time and effort into a board they don't care about? And for that matter, why would anyone would claims to enjoy GGD and post there *want* SW in there? It would make GGD into "SW Lite" and many of the posters who can't stand the smell of SW would stop posting in GGD.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 subrosian

Could I throw my ballot in here to have mod crackdowns on people stating their opinion as fact? And let me emphasise, I am NOT saying people shouldn't be able to state their opinions, they just shouldn't be able to use the word "fact" in the context of the message when it's only their own opinion.AdobeArtist

It's really frustrating when someone, mid-conversation, realizing they have no leg to stand on for their wild beliefs, suddenly develops psychic powers and uses Wikipedia to edit reality.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

I don't want SW merged with GGD - hence why I don't want people being told "take it to GGD". Please, for the good of both SW and GGD - DO NOT send SW posters to GGD.

Teufelhuhn

Indeed. If someone wanted to make a topic in GGD...they'd have made it there. Sure there's a lot of overlap in terms of topic material between the two forums, but it's not that hard to tell that the atmosphere is completely different over there. This is also why you can't just mash the two forums together and call it a day...it'd be like merging a country club with a biker bar and telling the country club people "you guys both like drinking booze and talking, this will work out great".

Precisely - which is why I ask, why would any mod really want to move that discussion to GGD? It's almost as odd as when SW has a big game release, and we mention the game-specific boards. The thing is - the game specific boards are mostly GameFAQ-ers - and most GameSpotters have no clue who those people are, or what's going on there. It's a totally different world from the blog-ified, friends listed, graphically shiny GS-funland.

GGD is like a library compared to SW. And SW is a bar compared to GGD. Of course we seem to be being told that as long as we're opiniated it's ok. So, we're trying to be Fox news and CNN, and not C-SPAN. Frankly maybe as long as people aren't *boring* we shouldn't moderate them - though I'm not sure how you'd word that as a rule, it's rather vague, unless we plan to have a new kind of "ultra-fab" moderator running around posting:

"oh, no, lo-ock-eddd - that hate speech is sooooo last December - get with the times and stop trying to build a bridge to January 07! *snap snap* "

-

So, as the rule still seems vague to me - where exactly does the sticky stand on the degree to which a post must be "opinion-ized". Does it have to state the TC stance in the OP? Can the TC declare a neutral stance in the OP and still be within the TOU?

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Tsug_Ze_Wind
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

renger6002

1.agree

2. but its different, I only liked SW as well, but I mostly read it and posted in already made threads, imo most ppl who have just entered SW do not start making new topics.

thats just me though

Oh, well if it would only be for making topics, I don't care. :P

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 cakeorrdeath

So, as the rule still seems vague to me - where exactly does the sticky stand on the degree to which a post must be "opinion-ized". Does it have to state the TC stance in the OP? Can the TC declare a neutral stance in the OP and still be within the TOU?

subrosian

Basically we don't want people just posting screnshots, or just posting links or news articles. Just add a little of yourself to the OP post and you will be fine.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#144 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

This could potentially serve as ammunition to those who like to believe that this is a dictatorship, it all depends on how it's enforced. To me, it seems that these rules could almost defeat the purpose of System Wars. Although, a cut down on frivolous posts is a great idea, I just don't want SW's humour to be lost in the translation.

"What is the point of my thread?

Am I just trying to annoy people?, am I just trying to boost my post count?, do I not believe what I am saying? If the answer is yes to any of these do not click the submit button."

I'm not sure what this is. Is it a prompt or an encouragement? Or will moderators delete or mod threads that they think are just being made to boost the posters count? If so, how will the mods know if the OP dosen't believe in what he's/she's saying? Do the mods imagine themselves to be the Thought Police, as how will they know? It seems that this could potentially lead to a few unjust moderations.

I'm torn on this idea.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Thats all fine in principle but if you are cracking down on this then how about forcing people to state exact contents of their posts in the title.

You want people to look over, click on and read the initial post in three pages of threads so they don't post something that has already been mentioned? This would currently be the only way to do it.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#146 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Aww, I got here late :( Did I miss the bagels?

Anyway... To add my 2 cents, I've been posting in system wars on an (almost) daily basis now for .. somewhere around 2 years or so, and i've seen these kinds of "rule enforcements" come and go.

It would be nice to actually have all the mods agree, and actually have mods on (not just durring peak hours) to moderate. I am an advocate of making my opinions welly known. Rarely do I make threads/posts less than a semi-paragraph long. I do this in order to convey my thoughts more accurately, It puzzles me how a lot of people here seemingly don't even want to share their opinions.

I get flamed all the time. Called a fanboy, and all that jazz, but really, it doesn't bother me, because people know where I stand. I enjoy long (but easy to read) posts, that are actually saying something. It just seems like the majority of system wars posters would rather see

LOL XXX sux, XXX ftw!1one

Than an actually well thought out post. Even if that post says basically the same thing, only in more words, and giving more details on why the poster thinks that way, its fine with me. Frankly I find the former highly annoying, and pointless.

TLDR: I'm glad to see the mods cracking down, I am just skeptic that this "crack down" will actually last. Hopeful, but skeptic.
S0nicBooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 S0nicBooom
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts
[QUOTE="S0nicBooom"]

Tsug_Ze_Wind

This post is pure truth. It's not too late to change direction. The outcome of this is a good start, but we need to do much more.

Yeh,this board is far from messed up. I also wanted to adress the whole "good threads getting lost issue." I find that on eof the biggest problems with this was when they implemented the "HOT" icon for topics. Even though i know i shouldn't, sometimes i tend to only look at the "HOT" items. That was probably one of the worst decisions for the boards.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Yes, this place would be much better if people here learned how to use General Games Discussion and their blogs. I've found that at least half the topics here don't even belong in System Wars.subrosian

like BB said GGD is pretty much dead but now i can see why it would be a idea though.I'm not sure if this place would be much better regardless if people learned to use that.I'll agree that some stuff should be blogged but sometimes u just have to post in a nice long thread just to see what will come out of the debate,sometimes its hard to pass up crazy replies.

GGD is not dead. I post there every day. And don't you think that it would perhaps be more active if people posted their miscategorized System Wars topics there?

Why on earth should System Warriors put their time and effort into a board they don't care about? And for that matter, why would anyone would claims to enjoy GGD and post there *want* SW in there? It would make GGD into "SW Lite" and many of the posters who can't stand the smell of SW would stop posting in GGD.

I remember when I once proposed renaming System Wars to System Debates, or more appropriately Gaming Debates. Taking out the word War would eliminate the idea that different platform gamers are "enemies", thus allowing to emphasise that this is about real argument, argument conducted the way it's supposed to be, with facts and evidence to substantiate the opinions, not simply flaming and trolling (which is what the mods and admins fight to eliminate as that has no place in argument). Then you'd have GGD for non-argumentative discussion.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

I remember when I once proposed renaming System Wars to System Debates, or more appropriately Gaming Debates. Taking out the word War would eliminate the idea that different platform gamers are "enemies", thus allowing to emphasise that this is about real argument, argument conducted the way it's supposed to be, with facts and evidence to substantiate the opinions, not simply flaming and trolling (which is what the mods and admins fight to eliminate as that has no place in argument). Then you'd have GGD for non-argumentative discussion.

AdobeArtist

you act as though flaming and trolling can't have structured debates.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="kage_53"] In GGD you can't have any debates. kage_53

Just about every thread that had X vs X get locked or anything similar gets and people tell it to take that into sw. And don't even get me started on those rules there.

That's because "X vs X" threads are 100% guaranteed to absolutely go nowhere. What can you possibly debate in a thread like that? It's just a "my opinion is better than yours" contest.