demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I recently upgraded my ps4 to a ps4 pro (Mostly pc gamer here). I did that because I wanted to enjoy whatever exclusives ps4 has that I may want to play (Horizon Zero Dawn).

Anyways...graphics are often one of the biggest subjects of the whole system war mentality. Horizon has some great artistic things going on in it. The vistas are great, etc. However, and this is where pc gamers come from, it's a blurry mess. I've seen so many posts about how it's the best looking game out. But when you come from pc, you turn off motion blur, dof, and all the other techniques that ruin image quality at the expense of a more sellable still shot.

What are your guy's thoughts? Motion blur really, really gets under my skin. Any blurring, actually. The limit to 30fps is also quite the downgrade from pc gaming. So while I credit Horizon on it's art style, it's proof that even the ps4 pro is still a watered down little machine in comparison to a real gaming rig. Between the blurring and 30fps, graphically, from a pc perspective, it's a mess. It's an amazing game...don't get me wrong. I'd give it a solid 9, even with the graphical limitations. It's super fun.

Thoughts? Let the anger flow through you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44214 Posts

Cows thought Kill... erm, I mean BlurZone had great graphics as well. lol :P

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Well comparing a $399 console vs a $1000 - $1500 dollar PC and expecting the same performance and image quality is kind of funny to be honest! The PS4 Pro is good for what its purpose is for and that is about it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why do you act surprised about this 6 months after the pro launched?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

One thing since upgrading to my 65" OLED is how painful 30 FPS is. It's really choppy and hard to look at.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

OP: Why not post a picture of your PC with the specs?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

What tv are you using?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

meh. I spent the weekend bouncing around between my PC and Horizon and wasn't bothered a bit

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

of course consoles are a blurry mess its been like this since the dawn of time with the atari and nes and stuff

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

If he did that, what difference would it make? He ain't lying about consoles being blurry.

OT: M man, if you want a powerfull console then wait for the Scorpio just al little bit more

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Motion blur and Depth of field should both be killed with fire. I don't need smoke and mirror "hide everything that people may criticise" or "oh shit we need to hide the 30fps jarring when people move quickly" techniques into games. Especially when those techniques are things my eyes do perfectly well on their own. I absolutely abhor trying to scan a vista and everything is blurry because the centre of the screen is not where my eyes are actually looking. It's like developers think gamers have tunnel vision and fix their eyes firmly and unmoving on the centre cross hair.

These are my two biggest pet hates in modern games development (I could add others like film grain in here as well) but at least most games on PC allow me to switch them off completely. It's makes me laugh when I see an option to have "High quality depth of field" in a settings page. Fine if you're a photographer but we play games not screen shots, leave in them in photomode options and keep them out of the game itself.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GarGx1

@Xabiss said:

Well comparing a $399 console vs a $1000 - $1500 dollar PC and expecting the same performance and image quality is kind of funny to be honest! The PS4 Pro is good for what its purpose is for and that is about it.

Tell that the people shouting from the roof tops about how great the graphics are in [insert game title] PS4 game (take your pick because according to the Play Station fans every exclusive is the graphics king to end all graphics kings)

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Oh yeah, I personally really, really hate motion blur, and always turn it off as one of my first actions when starting a game. 60 fps is nice too. I once tried both the 30 fps and the 60 fps cap settings on the FH3 demo, and I know which one I'd rather play.

Gaming as a whole needs to move on from this 30 fps + motion blur crap. Demand 60 fps and no blurry stuff or go back to the drawing board.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Blurry mess Bwahahahaha, oh god thanks for the laugh.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50634 Posts

PC games look better, there is no argument. But Horizon a blurry mess? Come on, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

There is motion blur and then there's Witcher 3 on PS4. Of all the games I have played so far this is the biggest sinner. When turned on and you move the camera around you can't see anything, and it becomes a huge problem when you're exploring because you have to stop the camera completely in order to be able to see your surroundings.

And even when you turn it all off there's still the 30fps, so there's judder everywhere, always. If I could I would seriously downgrade anything necessary to achieve at least a stable 60fps on every game. At 30fps every single game on PS4 looks like this, and it only gets worse when it is a fast paced game.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Xabiss said:

Tell that the people shouting from the roof tops about how great the graphics are in [insert game title] PS4 game (take your pick because according to the Play Station fans every exclusive is the graphics king to end all graphics kings)

Well those people are either dumb, blind, or a fanboy. Could be any combination of the three also. PCs will always be clearly superior in the graphics department then any console period. If you think Uncharted 4 or Horizon looks good on a PS4 Pro, which it does, it would only look even better on a PC period.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I generally turn off motion blur for PC games but I also play at over 100 fps on my 144hz g-sync monitor. However I do find that motion blur at 30fps can enhance the feeling of smoothness and generally round out a rougher picture produced by the 30fps. Of course a lot of games overdo the motion blur and it becomes a blurry mess, but others (like Destiny), do it very well and it enhances the overall image quality.

That all said, you are comparing a $400 console to a $1000+ gaming computer. Not exactly sure what you were expecting.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Hermits run their mouths about graphics while they play graphical garbage like League of Legends all day lol!

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@russianhacker37 said:

There is motion blur and then there's Witcher 3 on PS4. Of all the games I have played so far this is the biggest sinner. When turned on and you move the camera around you can't see anything, and it becomes a huge problem when you're exploring because you have to stop the camera completely in order to be able to see your surroundings.

And even when you turn it all off there's still the 30fps, so there's judder everywhere, always. If I could I would seriously downgrade anything necessary to achieve at least a stable 60fps on every game. At 30fps every single game on PS4 looks like this, and it only gets worse when it is a fast paced game.

Thanks for posting a great example of what I'm talking about. This is the same blur in Horizon...I guess any console game for the most part. It's hard to put up with...I'd rather just have anything that blurs the image off, entirely. Vignetting is crap too.

To the guy that wanted me to post my pc specs...pretty moderate/high end. Lot's more power than a console, for sure.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I turn motion blur off straight away, film grain, dof, AA to 4x, but I have no problem going from PC to console, I know what the limitations are and for the price consoles are amazing.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scatteh316

@speedfog said:
@scatteh316 said:

If he did that, what difference would it make? He ain't lying about consoles being blurry.

OT: M man, if you want a powerfull console then wait for the Scorpio just al little bit more

But like most people on here he more then likely doesn't have a decent PC.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Hermits run their mouths about graphics while they play graphical garbage like League of Legends all day lol!

Sure, it has fun compelling gameplay, and doesn't run at a headache inducing 25-30 fps like most console garbage.

Is it so hard to understand that most of us would gladly take lower polygon counts, lower texture resolution, more simplistic shadows/lighting, if it meant running at 60 fps?

30 fps exists solely to be able to show impressive screenshots.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scatteh316

@appariti0n said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Sure, it has fun compelling gameplay, and doesn't run at a headache inducing 25-30 fps like most console garbage.

Is it so hard to understand that most of us would gladly take lower polygon counts, lower texture resolution, more simplistic shadows/lighting, if it meant running at 60 fps?

That's a developer choice, not the consoles fault.

So maybe Tweet all the developers and tell them you demand 60fps from now on.

Consoles push the boundaries of tech and it's generally where newer more efficient techniques are made...... I had a high spec PC 2 years ago now and all I did was play console ports at higher resolution.

And the consoles I wanted to play wouldn't be ported to PC.

1080p with good AA and frame pacing is more then enough for me and if I start to crave more I'll go back to PC but at the minute there's NOTHING on PC that makes me want to build another one.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 appariti0n

@scatteh316 said:
@appariti0n said:
@Pray_to_me said:

That's a developer choice, not the consoles fault.

So maybe Tweet all the developers and tell them you demand 60fps from now on.

Consoles push the boundaries of tech and it's generally where newer more efficient techniques are made...... I had a high spec PC 2 years ago now and all I did was play console ports at higher resolution.

And the consoles I wanted to play wouldn't be ported to PC.

1080p with good AA and frame pacing is more then enough for me and if I start to crave more I'll go back to PC but at the minute there's NOTHING on PC that makes me want to build another one.

Console limitation, developer choice, what does it matter?

The fact is, stuff runs very often at 25-30 fps on Consoles, with techniques like Motion blur to cover it up. I don't give a rat's ass who's fault it is, the system itself, the developer, or the rabid fanbois demanding the highest image quality at the cost of smooth frame rates.

And uh.... consoles pushing the boundaries of tech? Now I've officially heard it all.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#26 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

There is a reason they call it the BlurStation Pro.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@kvally: Only you do, and the reason is because you troll, nonstop.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Motion blur and Depth of field should both be killed with fire.

Does that include film as well? Why or why not?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Chutebox said:

PC games look better, there is no argument. But Horizon a blurry mess? Come on, man.

As you can see there aren't just Cow trolls, but Hermit trolls as well. lol!! A blurry mess?!? lol!! That's pretty funny.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@demi0227_basic:

I honestly don't understand the hatred people have towards motion blur. It makes fast motions look more realistic and it works wonders for racing games and basically anything that needs a proper sense of speed. Why hate on it? In a way, real life has it. Like when you're driving on the expressway and everything on the corners of the front windshield look blurry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well yeah TC, I am not sure what you expected, you are generally right, it is not always the case, but often is on the Pro (or any versions of the twins), Some games generally don't let itself too well to the PS4, hiding issues with buckets of motion blur and DoF. Developers focus too much on high quality graphics for what you are looking straight at, but everything else suffers, and the frame rates, oooh man the frame rates...

I WILL give the Pro some credit that after the patch to unlock some of the excess capabilities for games in the options, quite a few of my PS4 games do play at an acceptable level. And if we look at it, we are having a 400$ console here, hell my GPU cost more. I even think my monitor for my PC cost more... So it is not a very expensive system, which does give acceptable performance for the cost. If gaming is a hobby, but you just want something simple to set up, a PS4 Pro is currently the best option you have, and the Price is pretty damn good.

But I do tend to question why people would prefer playing all games on a PS4, IF they have a capable PC.

Exclusives, and certain genres do lend themselves really well to the PS4, just as some games suit and lend themselves really well to PC (and some don't, platformers on the PC is pretty much poison, unless you have a controller which you can have of course).

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#32 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@vfighter said:

@kvally: Only you do, and the reason is because you troll, nonstop.

Calm down troll. We still love you.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

This is the best video I've seen so far that even has examples of what I mean.

Loading Video...

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

One thing since upgrading to my 65" OLED is how painful 30 FPS is. It's really choppy and hard to look at.

Why does a 65 inch OLED make 30 FPS seem any slower than it was in the past??

The only time I really notice 30 FPS with my eyes is right after seeing a 60 fps game run.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

I recently upgraded my ps4 to a ps4 pro (Mostly pc gamer here). I did that because I wanted to enjoy whatever exclusives ps4 has that I may want to play (Horizon Zero Dawn).

Anyways...graphics are often one of the biggest subjects of the whole system war mentality. Horizon has some great artistic things going on in it. The vistas are great, etc. However, and this is where pc gamers come from, it's a blurry mess. I've seen so many posts about how it's the best looking game out. But when you come from pc, you turn off motion blur, dof, and all the other techniques that ruin image quality at the expense of a more sellable still shot.

What are your guy's thoughts? Motion blur really, really gets under my skin. Any blurring, actually. The limit to 30fps is also quite the downgrade from pc gaming. So while I credit Horizon on it's art style, it's proof that even the ps4 pro is still a watered down little machine in comparison to a real gaming rig. Between the blurring and 30fps, graphically, from a pc perspective, it's a mess. It's an amazing game...don't get me wrong. I'd give it a solid 9, even with the graphical limitations. It's super fun.

Thoughts? Let the anger flow through you.

cough cough so much dust man..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

Sometimes you have these amazing looking consoles games, but turn the right stick and it just becomes a blur... like everything is smeared everywhere and the game doesn't come over smooth visually.

Case in point:

@russianhacker37 said:

But I'm also playing Infamous: Second Son at the moment and though it is an amazing looking game, it just becomes a mess when you move the camera around.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

@tormentos said:
@demi0227_basic said:

cough cough so much dust man..

That's from all the dust his PS4 was collecting.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50634 Posts

@blackace said:
@Chutebox said:

As you can see there aren't just Cow trolls, but Hermit trolls as well. lol!! A blurry mess?!? lol!! That's pretty funny.

Seriously lol. The game is frigging gorgeous.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Well I'm glad you guys figured this out. Now let me go get Horizon for my gaming rig... oh wait...

Nah but seriously, is this argument still a thing? Yes a well equipped (and pricey) PC can run laps around consoles but consoles still sell and justifiably so. Great graphic, great price.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 appariti0n

@cejay0813 said:

Well I'm glad you guys figured this out. Now let me go get Horizon for my gaming rig... oh wait...

Nah but seriously, is this argument still a thing? Yes a well equipped (and pricey) PC can run laps around consoles but consoles still sell and justifiably so. Great graphic, great price.

Great price yes.

Great graphics yes.... if you're looking at still images.

I would have bought a PS4 already if the developers prioritized smooth gameplay over still image quality.

Seriously, they would not need to even take much of an image quality hit to bump that fps up into even the 45 range, which would be tolerable. Motion blur itself typically gives a game a 2-3 fps hit just to use it! lol.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

A $400 PS4 Pro or a $800 GPU

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#43  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17870 Posts

Consoles are shit. I have been saying this the whole time. You are limited by the weak hardware and at the mercy of the developers. If they choose graphics over frame rate and it is an exclusive, you are fucked. You have no option to run the game properly. Then, if they ruin those graphics with blur and shit, you rarely have the option to turn it off. Everything should be on PC and let people play the way they want.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By appariti0n

@EvanTheGamer said:

even a $100 GPU at least has the option to turn off, or turn down stuff like motion blur, shadows, texture resolution etc in order to achieve smooth gameplay.

Consoles are like the Apple of gaming. They free you from the burden of choice!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

I think the idea behind motion blur is to actually help your brain process things - or so I've read. Apparently your brain does this because it can only process so much detail at once or something like that. I've heard people complain of getting headaches when motion blur is turned off. I haven't experienced this, but motion blur doesn't bother me too much. I usually set it to low or turn it off if it does bother me.

I recently played through Horizon on the OG PS4 and it wasn't an issue. What was an issue was the 30fps. There's nothing more jarring than going from a solid 60+fps to 30fps. It's pretty damn awful, but I do sort of get used to it after a while.

@BassMan said:

Consoles are shit. I have been saying this the whole time. You are limited by the weak hardware and at the mercy of the developers. If they choose graphics over frame rate and it is an exclusive, you are fucked. You have no option to run the game properly. Then, if they ruin those graphics with blur and shit, you rarely have the option to turn it off. Everything should be on PC and let people play the way they want.

agree.

@EvanTheGamer said:

GPU

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

of course consoles are a blurry mess its been like this since the dawn of time with the atari and nes and stuff

Why are all of your posts completely idiotic and full of fucking fail?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BassMan

@pyro1245 said:

I think the idea behind motion blur is to actually help your brain process things - or so I've read. Apparently your brain does this because it can only process so much detail at once or something like that. I've heard people complain of getting headaches when motion blur is turned off. I haven't experienced this, but motion blur doesn't bother me too much. I usually set it to low or turn it off if it does bother me.

I recently played through Horizon on the OG PS4 and it wasn't an issue. What was an issue was the 30fps. There's nothing more jarring than going from a solid 60+fps to 30fps. It's pretty damn awful, but I do sort of get used to it after a while.

Motion Blur is used to compensate for lack of frames. It helps trick the mind into blending the images better to smooth out the motion. However, this leaves the image blurry and not so hot looking. There is no substitute for raw frame rate. I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor on PC and it is super smooth, clear, and makes games feels amazing. When I play a console game at 30fps, it is very painful and takes me a while to adapt to it. If it is a game with not much camera movement, it is not too bad. As soon as I have to rotate the camera, the judder totally takes me out of the experience. Motion blur can't fully hide lack of fps. You still feel it and you get a blurfest on top. The Blur: 1866 is one of the worst games I have played when it comes to blur. Quantum Blur is pretty bad too.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Here we go again with these Hermits talking down to the rest of the board. PS4 Pro owners are playing Horizon Zero Dawn and MLB The Show 17 while you guys are playing Battlegrounds and Hearthstone, 200 fps at "ultra" settings. I would much rather be the console gamer there. Not to mention the Switch proving specs don't matter. The console market has always come first when it comes to games.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GarGx1

@skektek said:
@GarGx1 said:

Motion blur and Depth of field should both be killed with fire.

Does that include film as well? Why or why not?

Movies are very different from games, depth of field is used in a movie so as the director/producer can draw the audience to where they want them to look. You don't control that, in a game I may be looking at the horizon or 2 feet away and not necessarily where the centre point of the screen is pointing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BassMan

@goldenelementxl said:

Here we go again with these Hermits talking down to the rest of the board. PS4 Pro owners are playing Horizon Zero Dawn and MLB The Show 17 while you guys are playing Battlegrounds and Hearthstone, 200 fps at "ultra" settings. I would much rather be the console gamer there. Not to mention the Switch proving specs don't matter. The console market has always come first when it comes to games.

Actually, we just tell it like it is. If you notice, most of us are actually manticore gamers and strongly prefer PC as our primary platform because of quality. I would not even own a console if not for exclusives as they are redundant and a waste of money if you have a good PC. I am not totally against consoles as they offer a cheap and simple solution, but I hate the idea of exclusives and not giving people proper options. I have a PS4 Pro and Horizon. However, that does not make Horizon's frame rate and blur any less shit. It all comes down to quality in the end. When you are forced to play an exclusive on a platform that is not up to par, it sucks. I can not simply look past these issues as I am constantly distracted by judder and blur as I play the game.