"Console Players deserve PC-Style Graphics Settings"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

The ability to tweak graphics settings largely remains the domain of PC gamers. Project Cars is proving to be an exception to that, as it will offer players on Xbox One and PS4 some control over various visual effects.

As first discovered by Digital Foundry, these versions include a "Visual FX" settings menu, as pictured below. Tweakable options include post-processing filters, lens flare, rain drops, screen dirt, bloom, and a number of other things you'd ordinarily have to accept as-is when playing on console

In a separate menu dedicated to camera settings, there are also field-of-view settings for each of the different camera angles in the game, as well as options dictating the amount of movement that happens with the driver's helmet.

Speaking with GameSpot, creative director Andy Tudor explained why the studio went out of its way to offer these options.

"Console owners should have just as much right to tailor their game to their particular preferences as PC players," Tudor says, "whether that’s authenticity, visual options, how the camera reacts, accessibility etc.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

these consoles are too weak to be picky this time around, its basically low or nothing

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

The idea is good in theory, but console games are generally made to maximize the hardware itself. Lots of times you can adjust the brightness, which sometimes I do if I'm playing games in the daytime and my game room is sunny.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I can't imagine Sony/Microsoft being too thrilled with the idea of that, media would start coming out of games with people using lower settings than default to gain performance which could hurt their image and make their consoles look worse than they already are.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

The only options I want in console gaming are good useful options that make strong appreciable differences offering me actual choice. 720/60 vs 1080/30? That's a dramatic difference I welcome. Offering me the choice to scale back draw distance a smidgen for a few fps here and there is nonsense pussy-footing that has no place in console gaming.

The onus is on the dev to make the game work, not on me to fiddle with settings to get it to work acceptably. When I'm basically doing the devs job of optimisation selections for them that's BS. If I buy a console version of a game I buy it so that I don't have to do that. And while I'm at it the same applies to massive, frequent patches and the like: I used to love consoles because it was just pop the game in and have a solid experience... now there's all this red tape and even the general bar for performance consistency seems to have fallen this generation taking the console experience out of consoles :(

It looks like these options don't affect performance though so I'm happy to have them in. Especially in racing games when the overall way the image is constituted isn't important: exact lighting and framing rarely matter in this kinds of games as they're aiming for realism.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

The only options I want in console gaming are good useful options that make strong appreciable differences offering me actual choice. 720/60 vs 1080/30? That's a dramatic difference I welcome. Offering me the choice to scale back draw distance a smidgen for a few fps here and there is nonsense pussy-footing that has no place in console gaming.

The onus is on the dev to make the game work, not on me to fiddle with settings to get it to work acceptably. When I'm basically doing the devs job of optimisation selections for them that's BS. If I buy a console version of a game I buy it so that I don't have to do that. And while I'm at it the same applies to massive, frequent patches and the like: I used to love consoles because it was just pop the game in and have a solid experience... now there's all this red tape and even the general bar for performance consistency seems to have fallen this generation taking the console experience out of consoles :(

It looks like these options don't affect performance though so I'm happy to have them in. Especially in racing games when the overall way the image is constituted isn't important: exact lighting and framing rarely matter in this kinds of games as they're aiming for realism.

You make a good point.. I believe this may open the door to devs taking the half assed approach and simply throwing "options" in there just to cover it up. It seems console gaming MAY be venturing too far into the PC realm.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

wasn't there already a thread on this?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I'm all for it, if it lets me put some damn AF in since developers think fucking chromatic aberration is more important. Speaking of that, we should be able to take that crap out, and other bad post processing.

Or developers could just get good and have their brains screwed on right when choosing what effects to put in a game.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Settings and customization in a closed machine that tends to block off such features. Ironic

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Thats hardly a graphics option menu. You normally get half of that in console games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

I'm all for more options. I hope this catches on.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

This sounds glorious. Moar.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I thought choosing options is too complex and scary for you guys. I thought it was better that Sony took care of everything for you (including house cleaning). Anyways,,, those are hardly any graphics options but I think that there should be some sort of option to choose between higher res or frame rates.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Why bother, devs would release the game with the highest settings it could handle, so players could only go down from there. Not worth their time.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I read Tweak as Twerk lol

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Then be prepared to pay a helluva lot more than $400 for your next console

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Zelda187: what?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

I think something that would solve those problems would be to do what Bioshock did in 2007. Offer the user one choice to switch off certain graphics settings to get 60fps. There wasn't a whole list of settings like this describes and it will allow console users to play at 60fps if they wish.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Too hard! Don't confuse the console players with such complicated options! :(

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

most console gamers don't want options though, they want this:

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@nyadc said:

I can't imagine Sony/Microsoft being too thrilled with the idea of that, media would start coming out of games with people using lower settings than default to gain performance which could hurt their image and make their consoles look worse than they already are.

But the consoles are only bad to people like us who go to forums, read about the industry and specs and compare them. The majority of consumers see them as better than the previous gen and buy them.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#24 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@lostrib said:

wasn't there already a thread on this?

Yup, there was.