Console controllers are terrible for games that require any sort of aiming.

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Eh. Depends on the game. For FPS usually I use kb/m. However, recently I found out that I just cannot play Bioshock Infinite with a kb/m. I had to plug in my xbox 360 controller.

RealKilla_789

I found the 360 controller a bit better for Bioshock (the first) especially when there's different weapons on both hands and I need to cycle through different types of plasmids. However for more traditional FPS games like KZ2/KZ3/Crysis/Far Cry 3 (which are all also more open than Bioshock) I like keyboard and mouse better. That mouse-look* becomes important especially when you need to point the gun in one direction and move in another.

* The keyboard and mouse was especially useful against the ATACs in both KZ games.

1461755-300px_atac_3_2.jpg

smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 smokedopedie
Member since 2013 • 244 Posts

controller isnt bad for fps its just people that suck at using them cry so devs add auto aim.

smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 smokedopedie

yes mouse is more precise but contoller is still precise enough to play a fps with.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
I prefer a controller over a kb/m for almost any type of game. RTS games are really the only games I like using a KB/m for.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

It just depends on how much you use it. I'm sure if someone used a controller all their life they'd say the same thing about a mouse if they never used one for gaming.

smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 smokedopedie

If a fps on a controller was completely unplayable without auto aim why the hell would i hate auto aim so much?

It makes no sense i hate it because im good enough that i dont need it and it's sucks im forced to compete against people who need it.

That's not skill based that's just crap.

smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 smokedopedie

no way in hell no AA could be more randomness than AA based gameplay.

rather than actual skill

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Yeah, they are pretty f*cking clunky, slow and unbearable in games which require aiming, wen you switch from a m/kb combo. But that doesn't mean you can't get used to them.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Terrible? No just no. Not as good as Mouse for aiming? Sure.
smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 smokedopedie

That's like some kid shooting a gun in real life as baby lol dad helping them aim the gun.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

I'd love to see someone try to play Gears multiplayer with KB&M. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to compete.

The point I try to make in these threads is that as superior as mouse is for aiming, keyboard is inferior for movement.

PatchMaster

Prove it, I played gears with M&K, same as dead space.

Wish I could. Problem is controllers are becoming more and more popular on PCs instead of the other way around. TPS's can be played with either method, but I would still argue that a controller would edge out KB&M competitively, similar to how KB&M would edge out a controller in an FPS.

You're serious? Wow.

There is a way to test it--Tomb Raider online.

smokedopedie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 smokedopedie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8h-8rkHp6Q

4 Year Old Shooting AK-47

See how his dad's helping him aim the gun? lol my dad did the same shit when i was 4 years old.

Aim assist=that same scenario as in the video.

A older kid  doesnt need aim assist.

Quad4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Quad4Life
Member since 2013 • 776 Posts

aaaaand yet Gamepads still own the KB + M on professional level gaming.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Quad4Life
Prove it.
Quad4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Quad4Life
Member since 2013 • 776 Posts
[QUOTE="Quad4Life"]

DragonfireXZ95
Prove it.

Ok
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

I haven't turned on my PS3 in over a year. Last time I bought an actual PS3 game was in late 2011.

When I bought my PS3 about three years ago, I thought it would be a great way to supplement my PC gaming with some console exclusives that the PC would never get. However, as great as Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the Uncharted games were, I could never get over using the Dualshock as input.

Why? I love the mouse and keyboard because of the precision it gives me in games that require aiming a gun at something. With the controller, it feels fiddly and imprecise.

But, I do recognize that console controllers have their value in certain genres - like fighting and racing games. I much prefer playing Batman: Arkham City on my Xbox 360 controller rather than trying to fiddle with a keyboard and mouse.

However, given that most of the games I play require some level of aiming, I can't stand the lack of precision anymore. Next generation, I'm going back to being a PC-only gamer - for good.

The_Capitalist

You get good with what you play the most with. People would feel the exact same way if they tried to make the move to using a mouse. I have tried both, and I completely disagree with you. I am much better with a controller and I feel it is a much more accurate test of skill. That dosn't make either one of us right since it is just my opinion. However, I would like to point out the fact that your opinion is nothing but that.... an opinion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I have tried the m/k and I don't know what the fuss is all about, it's just like the d-pad vs arcade sticks for fighting games. A matter of preference. The problem is that once you been using certain controller input for so much time is hard to go to a new one.

I have tried arcade sticks, I used one for months but I still played much better with d-pad because I've been using it since when I was a kid while only playing with stick when I went to the arcades.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

This is true. I don't feel natural when playing shooters on my PS3. I still play KZ2 & 3 and the Uncharted Games and I will still play The Last of Us and enjoy them, but I'll still be thinking the whole time, "Man I wish this was on my PC instead."

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Quad4Life"]

Quad4Life
Prove it.

Ok

Still waiting.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

Naw, controller is still better for TPS. I can't imagine trying to use a keyboard for movement in games likes Gears and Uncharted.

PatchMaster

??? what? :p TPP games are works impractically the same as FPP just with different camera point and it's same as better as FPP on PC. Whatever you look at it mouse will be always superior aiming device as any other pointing devices. Sony if would be more adventurous they could use that touch pad on controller for aim, i bet it would be a lot better then analog stick, but it current placement is not very good for that

I'd love to see someone try to play Gears multiplayer with KB&M. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to compete.

The point I try to make in these threads is that as superior as mouse is for aiming, keyboard is inferior for movement.

Why wouldnt they be able to compete? This guy seems to be doing fine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpdcv1YZTJE

With a keyboard you can dodge and melee without losing movement or aiming. Only way to do that with a controller is the lame claw method. Also theirs kb's with sticks that offer full analog movement.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Quad4Life"]

Quad4Life

Prove it.

Ok

Not seeing the proof I'm afraid

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Everyone knows the keyboard is garbage for gaming, its only the mouse that makes pc games easy, no debate needed here.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

Console controllers are better for action/adventure and platformer games imo. I couldn't imagine playing a RTS or MMO with a console controller though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jun_aka_pekto

Naw, controller is still better for TPS. I can't imagine trying to use a keyboard for movement in games likes Gears and Uncharted.

PatchMaster

Actually, I tried just that with both UC2 and UC3 using a mouse and keyboard converter. The keyboard and mouse combo was quite good. The only problem I had was at the very beginning of Urban Warfare in UC2 where the character had to autoaim/autofire while running towards the screen to get away from the truck. It wasn't too hard although I had to use two hands on the keyboard. Everything else in the game using conventional buttons were superb.

I breezed through Urban Warfare in record time using the keyboard and mouse. Killing off the mercs were so ridiculously easy I decided to just stick with the controller for the Uncharted games. I imagine the keyboard and mouse would be great for Uncharted MP games though. 

Edit:

The biggest problem I had with my converter was remembering which controller button was mapped to a keyboard key because I'm still using the same profile I used for the Killzone games. It took a few minutes to adjust.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Everyone knows the keyboard is garbage for gaming, its only the mouse that makes pc games easy, no debate needed here.

EvanTheGamer

Nope

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

EvanTheGamer
What are you for really? why make troll post after troll post.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#78 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I'd much rather use a Wii Remote and Nunchuk for aiming than analog sticks. Way more accurate and comfortable.

AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 AndersK
Member since 2005 • 396 Posts

Anyone who says a controller is just a good for aiming, is clearly in denial (or straight up dumb)

There is a reason why console shooters have aim assist EN MASSE

Imagine having to browse the web, and use your analog stick to control the curser. Yeah, awful.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#80 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

nah they're ok. Just not as accurate.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

The sky is blue.  This isn't really news

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I haven't turned on my PS3 in over a year. Last time I bought an actual PS3 game was in late 2011. 

When I bought my PS3 about three years ago, I thought it would be a great way to supplement my PC gaming with some console exclusives that the PC would never get. However, as great as Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the Uncharted games were, I could never get over using the Dualshock as input.

Why? I love the mouse and keyboard because of the precision it gives me in games that require aiming a gun at something. With the controller, it feels fiddly and imprecise. 

But, I do recognize that console controllers have their value in certain genres - like fighting and racing games. I much prefer playing Batman: Arkham City on my Xbox 360 controller rather than trying to fiddle with a keyboard and mouse.

However, given that most of the games I play require some level of aiming, I can't stand the lack of precision anymore. Next generation, I'm going back to being a PC-only gamer - for good. 

The_Capitalist
Yeah good for you, but WTF are we to talk about? I mean what was the point of posting your blog here instead in.......your blog?
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

PatchMaster
It actually works great.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

PatchMaster
Playing TPS with a controller? That is awful, I know how it felt the first time.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

The is blue.  This isn't really news

wis3boi

The.

..This is sorcery! What other secrets are you hiding??? 

AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AndersK

Why would a third person game play any better with a controller, the basic principles are the same. You click on stuff. Any game that involves curser/crosshair moving, is facepalmingly (new word) bad with an analog stick, when compared to a mouse.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Why would a third person game play any better with a controller, 

AndersK

Because they are lying fanboys.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I will only use a controller for racers, fighters, hack and slash, and 2D platformers. For FPS/TPS, controllers are far too clunky. Only advantage controllers have is movement since it is an analog input rather than digital.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

The is blue.  This isn't really news

Optical_Order

The.

..This is sorcery! What other secrets are you hiding??? 

damnit D:

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#90 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I can't remember the last time I tried to use a controller...actually, I don't think I ever did. I've just always used a keyboard and mouse for all of my games, never had any issues with them. Just right click and/or hold and fire for FPS and TPS. I also don't get why people have a problem with movement controls, I mean, are they using the arrow keys or something or what?

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

I thnk you jusr suck. and controllers are more comforatdabel than any KB mouse set up, they work well for a wide variety of genre's.  GTA, Max Payne, etc.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

here ya go TC 

http://store.xim3.com/XIM-EDGE_p_12.html

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

I thnk you jusr suck. and controllers are more comforatdabel than any KB mouse set up, they work well for a wide variety of genre's.  GTA, Max Payne, etc.

Blazed
In GTA 4 you cant even sprint and look behind at the same time on controller, aiming while driving is way harder. I played GTA 4 mp on 360 and basically every match was with auto aim on.
Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

Blazed
just like you suck at PC
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jun_aka_pekto

Why would a third person game play any better with a controller, the basic principles are the same. You click on stuff. Any game that involves curser/crosshair moving, is facepalmingly (new word) bad with an analog stick, when compared to a mouse.

AndersK

Perhaps they meant 3rd-person games with an isometric view such as Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light:

naHLCV0.jpg

If so, then yes. No contest. I'd prefer a controller for such games.

Edit:

In fact, it's this very game that prompted me to buy a 360 controller for my PC. Too frustrating with keyboard n mouse.

AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 AndersK

[QUOTE="AndersK"]

jun_aka_pekto

Perhaps they meant 3rd-person games with an isometric view such as Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light:

naHLCV0.jpg

If so, then yes. No contest. I'd prefer a controller for such games.

Edit:

In fact, it's this very game that prompted me to buy a 360 controller for my PC. Too frustrating with keyboard n mouse.

iaintevenmad.jpg

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazed"]

Cranler

In GTA 4 you cant even sprint and look behind at the same time on controller, aiming while driving is way harder. I played GTA 4 mp on 360 and basically every match was with auto aim on.

I think you also have to tap is repeatedly unlike on the PC version, It was a straight pain in the a$$.
robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts

The_Capitalist
maybe you just suck with controllers in Fps
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

robbie80

maybe you just suck with controllers in Fps

controllers just suck at FPS

robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts
Haha no they don't but ok if say so sure mouse keyboard take no skill that why PC gamers love them easy to use lol.