Console controllers are terrible for games that require any sort of aiming.

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I haven't turned on my PS3 in over a year. Last time I bought an actual PS3 game was in late 2011. 

When I bought my PS3 about three years ago, I thought it would be a great way to supplement my PC gaming with some console exclusives that the PC would never get. However, as great as Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the Uncharted games were, I could never get over using the Dualshock as input.

Why? I love the mouse and keyboard because of the precision it gives me in games that require aiming a gun at something. With the controller, it feels fiddly and imprecise. 

But, I do recognize that console controllers have their value in certain genres - like fighting and racing games. I much prefer playing Batman: Arkham City on my Xbox 360 controller rather than trying to fiddle with a keyboard and mouse.

However, given that most of the games I play require some level of aiming, I can't stand the lack of precision anymore. Next generation, I'm going back to being a PC-only gamer - for good. 

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

they are? dang..thats news to me..its not the controller..its the aiming system used in the game. some games move more smoothly..some dont..controllers will be around forever..its the m/k that need to evolve.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Nope it just takes some getting used to for some people.   I'm doing fine just fine on 1999 mode with a sniper rifle on Bioshock Infinite, pulling off head shots is super easy.  But yeah it probably does depend on the game mechanics, the sensitivity and all that.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Naw, controller is still better for TPS. I can't imagine trying to use a keyboard for movement in games likes Gears and Uncharted.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Naw, controller is still better for TPS. I can't imagine trying to use a keyboard for movement in games likes Gears and Uncharted.

PatchMaster
Works just fine.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I bought a keyboard n mouse converter which solved the FPS problem for my PS3. Now, I like my PS3 almost as much as my PC. :lol:

Even taking it easy, aiming isn't a big problem.....

-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

I suck at using the mouse and keyboard for shooters, yeah it's more precise, but I prefer controllers. 

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

you must persist, i believe in you :oops:

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I bought a keyboard n mouse converter which solved the FPS problem for my PS3. Now, I like my PS3 almost as much as my PC. :lol:

jun_aka_pekto
Where did you buy this keyboard and mouse converter and does it work for all games? Can you also configure the button layout in anyway? I have a friend who wont play console games at all because of the game controller.. So something like this might certainly help.
Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

im actually no good at using a controller for fps or tps games,im just terrible with controllers 

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

And water is wet.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

PatchMaster
??? what? :p TPP games are works impractically the same as FPP just with different camera point and it's same as better as FPP on PC. Whatever you look at it mouse will be always superior aiming device as any other pointing devices. Sony if would be more adventurous they could use that touch pad on controller for aim, i bet it would be a lot better then analog stick, but it current placement is not very good for that
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
This isn't a new concept at all. In fact people in the 80's used this exact same argument against the NES.
NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

breaking news!!!!!  the world is round!:shock:

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
This thread is not a good thread.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I haven't had a problem. I finish games, enjoy the experience on controllers. What more do I need?
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SKaREO
I haven't had a problem. I finish games, enjoy the experience on controllers. What more do I need?cainetao11
A bit of skill never hurt anyone.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
[QUOTE="cainetao11"]I haven't had a problem. I finish games, enjoy the experience on controllers. What more do I need?SKaREO

neither the lack of it.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
You just suck with controllers. I can aim fine.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's less immersive than keyboard mouse for FPS/TPS for sure. You move in very awkward ways when using a controller. It's like you're controlling a robot.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Nothing wrong with aiming with controller, you just terrible at it. Its not super accurate like a mouse on FPS games but great for playing TPS. Plus sports, fighting is always better with controller.

Just get good bro.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Get some skills kid, using a controller is easy, though for newer gamers I guess not?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Nothing wrong with aiming with controller, you just terrible at it. Its not super accurate like a mouse on FPS games but great for playing TPS. Plus sports, fighting is always better with controller.

Just get good bro.

KillzoneSnake
Racing is better with a controller but best with a wheel.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I haven't turned on my PS3 in over a year. Last time I bought an actual PS3 game was in late 2011. 

When I bought my PS3 about three years ago, I thought it would be a great way to supplement my PC gaming with some console exclusives that the PC would never get. However, as great as Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the Uncharted games were, I could never get over using the Dualshock as input.

Why? I love the mouse and keyboard because of the precision it gives me in games that require aiming a gun at something. With the controller, it feels fiddly and imprecise. 

But, I do recognize that console controllers have their value in certain genres - like fighting and racing games. I much prefer playing Batman: Arkham City on my Xbox 360 controller rather than trying to fiddle with a keyboard and mouse.

However, given that most of the games I play require some level of aiming, I can't stand the lack of precision anymore. Next generation, I'm going back to being a PC-only gamer - for good. 

The_Capitalist
Learn to aim.lol.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I know how you feel.

Controllers aren't bad or anything but it feels a bit slower with precesion. After playing long hours of fps games on a PC, I switched to a 360 controller to see the difference and I was having a hard time to adjust. I've finally adjusted to it, but if I was going to play competitively online, I'd go with keyboard/mouse.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SKaREO
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="cainetao11"]I haven't had a problem. I finish games, enjoy the experience on controllers. What more do I need?funsohng

neither the lack of it.

You might want to rethink that statement. Lack of skill doesn't hurt anyone? I beg to differ, good sir.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

PatchMaster

Ish... uncharted... aiming with a controlled, ouch.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#28 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

I prefer gamepads, so go eat a d*ck.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Its not that bad. Plus console shooters use heavy amount of autoaim.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Crossel777

Where did you buy this keyboard and mouse converter and does it work for all games? Can you also configure the button layout in anyway? I have a friend who wont play console games at all because of the game controller.. So something like this might certainly help.

There are different keyboard n mouse converters. Some are cheap, some are expensive. I opted for the Penguin United Eagle Eye which is one of the cheaper ones. It can only store 2 game profiles at a time. Plus, each profile requires some some tweaking. It takes me around 15 minutes to decide which keys I want to use and write to the device. I usually follow the Crysis/FC3 keyboard layout. It takes another 15 minutes to try the settings out and repeat for fine-tuning. I made a profile for KZ3. I later found out the same profile also worked for KZ2. I just finished KZ2 yesterday. The "heavier" feel in KZ2 didn't bother me although spinning around was slower which wasn't a problem in SP mode. The Eagle Eye requires some work. But, between it and having to use a controller for the whole game, it's not a lot. One caveat I hated with KZ2 is the Six-axis sequences. I had to momentarily switch to a DS3 so I can perform the moves, then switch back to the Eagle Eye. With KZ3, there are button equivalents for Six-axis moves which are already mapped in the KZ3 profile. So, no problems there.

Edit:

One more thing. Check the keyboard n mouse compatibility list. I didn't. But, it just so happened I have compatible devices. I use a wireless Logitech MK320 keyboard and a wireless Logitech M305 mouse. I plugged in their USB dongles into the proper port of the Eagle Eye.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto

I use the Eagle Eye only for FPS games. For games like Uncharted, I think the controller is still fine although I prefer a 360-style controller over the DS3. There are different profiles you can make or download one if you wish from Penguin United's Web site. The thing is, the Eagle Eye can only use two profiles at a time.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 funsohng
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] A bit of skill never hurt anyone.

neither the lack of it.

You might want to rethink that statement. Lack of skill doesn't hurt anyone? I beg to differ, good sir.

I don't know about you, but I play video games for enjoyment, not for some serious business. who gives a f*ck if you suck at it, as long as you find it enjoyable?
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
I'm capable of using both. A mouse is more accurate, but using keyboard for movement is a no-go pour moi, at least compared to a controller. But like I said, I'm capable of using both.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
I don't mind controller for single player FPS, makes games harder but I prefer the smooth movement to the spastic twitching of mouse look. Multiplayer it's mouse or nothing though, controller feels way too slow in a competitive environment.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PatchMaster

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

ShadowriverUB

??? what? :p TPP games are works impractically the same as FPP just with different camera point and it's same as better as FPP on PC. Whatever you look at it mouse will be always superior aiming device as any other pointing devices. Sony if would be more adventurous they could use that touch pad on controller for aim, i bet it would be a lot better then analog stick, but it current placement is not very good for that

I'd love to see someone try to play Gears multiplayer with KB&M. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to compete.

The point I try to make in these threads is that as superior as mouse is for aiming, keyboard is inferior for movement.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

I'd love to see someone try to play Gears multiplayer with KB&M. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to compete.

The point I try to make in these threads is that as superior as mouse is for aiming, keyboard is inferior for movement.

Prove it, I played gears with M&K, same as dead space.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

PatchMaster
Uhhh people have. Way back when Gears1 was still being played. While movement is inferior, pretty much every other action is still better on a keyboard. MOre buttons make things easier. Words cannot describe my hate for holding down a button to prone vs crouch
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

Iantheone

Uhhh people have. Way back when Gears1 was still being played. While movement is inferior, pretty much every other action is still better on a keyboard. MOre buttons make things easier. Words cannot describe my hate for holding down a button to prone vs crouch

Or having to click the stick to sprint

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

maybe you just suck at it?

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PatchMaster

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

Bebi_vegeta

Wish I could. Problem is controllers are becoming more and more popular on PCs instead of the other way around. TPS's can be played with either method, but I would still argue that a controller would edge out KB&M competitively, similar to how KB&M would edge out a controller in an FPS.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I would agree that mouse far exceeds anything a controller can do. Even watching console footage of BF3 or anything makes me wanna shout at the screen cos it looks so clumsy. 

But they're not "terrible" that's a huge over exaggeration. I still use my gamepad for a lot of games. and even some games that need aiming, but competitively I would never use anything but a mouse, you would get destroyed. Consoles it's fine cos everyone is on the same level controls wise

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

they are? dang..thats news to me..its not the controller..its the aiming system used in the game. some games move more smoothly..some dont..controllers will be around forever..its the m/k that need to evolve.

VanDammFan
YEs, the control scheme that still runs every industry because of its superior usability and feedback for pretty much any computer related task "needs to evolve" :roll: Keyboard with racing and fighting is a SLIGHT nusance in the same way shooting is compared to a mouse for a controller. But Iw ould like your so called "evolved controllers" to play starcraft or dota 2 :lol:
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

Wish I could. Problem is controllers are becoming more and more popular on PCs instead of the other way around. TPS's can be played with either method, but I would still argue that a controller would edge out KB&M competitively, similar to how KB&M would edge out a controller in an FPS.

PatchMaster
Go talk to Jiggly about that :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

No just no, that comment makes no sense, Fundementally a TPS controls IDENTICAL to an FPS in movement and aiming.... I don't see how a controller is better when aiming is STILL the biggest deal by far.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

Controlers more and more popular on PC ? Doesn't mean anything. M&K won't get more popular on PC... I mean comon.

The only reason I use a controler is for button smasher games... and sports.

For someone like me, who played alot of games with M&K... TPS is not a problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Consolites claim movement is better with an analog because you can make smoother-slow movements.... which makes you BAD at comeptitive shooters, why the hell would you want to slowly move out of a corner? once you master keyboard movement the constant twitching effect you make is not only much safer but faster. Honestly..... you consolites make it sound like smooth gliding is more impotant.... Im not suprised since your robot aiming sticks probably allow for more "look at me moving slowly to aim" crap that is required to counter-balance the lack of quick precision aiming. But get back to reality please. Thoe of you that think TPS is better on a controller are riding the special bus.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PatchMaster

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Controlers more and more popular on PC ? Doesn't mean anything. M&K won't get more popular on PC... I mean comon.

Doesn't mean anything? Then why is it happening? And don't default to "teh consolization".

And I'm not arguing that TPS can be played with M&K, but to say that M&K is superior when most TPS's out there include platforming, driving and/or other action mechanics besides shooting just sounds stupid.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Well yeah... playing any shooter with a controller is horrible, one of the biggest reasons why I couldn't get into shooters I played on consoles like Killzone and Resistance was the clunky controller which turns the whole experience into a mess.

Also, those shooters are pretty slow paced, I'm scared to even think how would it feel to play something faster...

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#49 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Eh. Depends on the game. For FPS usually I use kb/m. However, recently I found out that I just cannot play Bioshock Infinite with a kb/m. I had to plug in my xbox 360 controller.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

PatchMaster

Doesn't mean anything? Then why is it happening? And don't default to "teh consolization".

And I'm not arguing that TPS can be played with M&K, but to say that M&K is superior when most TPS's out there include platforming, driving and/or other action mechanics besides shooting just sounds stupid.

Why is what happening ? PC always had various types of controler... it's nothing new.

Again, GTA is another example that I prefer M&K over controler. Anything requiring shooting is better with a mouse, that's pretty much a fact.