Chris Taylor to Hermits: YOUR INDUSTRY IS DYING BECAUSE OF PIRACY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

[QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vandalvideo
Huge, and I mean HUGE misconception. The PC has tons of titles that, quite frankly you're never going to see on consoles. Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires, Icewind Dale, Warcraft, |Planescape: Torment}, Disciples, Settlers, Total War, Guild Wars, Savage, Dungeon Seige (Space Seige), etc. I could go on and on and on. For every franchise you named I Could name atleast three.

Those are considered to be the greats, the legends, of gaming. Not just PC gaming, gaming in general. Especially Planescape. If you don't know. Planescape is the behemoth by which ALL RPGs are measured against.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 Vylence
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

[QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vandalvideo
Huge, and I mean HUGE misconception. The PC has tons of titles that, quite frankly you're never going to see on consoles. Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires, Icewind Dale, Warcraft, Planescape: Torment, Disciples, Settlers, Total War, Guild Wars, Savage, Dungeon Seige (Space Seige), etc. I could go on and on and on. For every franchise you named I Could name atleast three.

Baldur's gate, are they not now making most of their games for the consoles? Age of Empires, the people now making Halo Wars? Warcraft... you got me there. Disciples, Settlers, Dungeon Seige, none of which are a very good games in my opinion and I have played them. Gas Powered which made Dungeion Seige is one of the people now agreeing with me.

How many big developers who once were PC only now do not put their games on the consoles?

Mizarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 Mizarus
Member since 2004 • 1379 Posts

Huge, and I mean HUGE misconception. The PC has tons of titles that, quite frankly you're never going to see on consoles. Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires, Icewind Dale, Warcraft, Planescape: Torment, Disciples, Settlers, Total War, Guild Wars, Savage, Dungeon Seige (Space Seige), etc. I could go on and on and on. For every franchise you named I Could name atleast three.

erm theres also the little detail that no ones pays devs to keep their titiles exclusive to PC's, so thats pretty much why most games end up going out side the PC, there isnt anyone behind payng the devs to keep the game as an exclusive, so why should they?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vylence

Baldur's gate, are they not now making most of their games for the consoles? Age of Empires, the people now making Halo Wars? Warcraft... you got me there. Disciples, Settlers, Dungeon Seige, none of which are a very good games in my opinion and I have played them. Gas Powered which made Dungeion Seige is one of the people now agreeing with me.

How many big developers who once were PC only now do not put their games on the consoles?

Counter-question: how many new developers are making games for the consoles only, or even consoles and PC? How many are doing it for the PC only? I'm inclined to believe the latter is considerably larger. The barrier of entry is too low to be otherwise. And without these new developers, where would companies like Crytek come from?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#305 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vylence

Actually, every single game they've made for the consoles has gone to PCs, and the PC still has Dragon Age as an upcomming excluves. We're talking franchises remember? All of these franchises have remained exclusives. Now you're just going off on a tangent because I proved you wrong. The PC still has tons of quality exclusive titles left thay ou're never going to get on consoles. FACT.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 VoodooGamer

Bioware made three multi-platform games and the rest are PC exclusive.

And, the rest of your point is invalid. I don't see how it matters if PC developers choose to make games for consoles. Unless I'm mistaken, there was a Final Fantasy game for the PC. And, most console games, specifically 360 games are ported to the PC. I don't see why they would do that if according to some people here, they would be losing there ass to pirating. It seems to me that they know that PC gaming isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be.

Mizarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Mizarus

halo wars is being made by the same people that made Age of Mithology not empires, its also their only sucessefull game

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 HuusAsking

And, the rest of your point is invalid. I don't see how it matters if PC developers choose to make games for consoles. Unless I'm mistaken, there was a Final Fantasy game for the PC. And, most console games, specifically 360 games are ported to the PC. I don't see why they would do that if according to some people here, they would be losing there ass to pirating. It seems to me that they know that PC gaming isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be.

VoodooGamer
Two, actually. 7 and 8.
Mizarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 Mizarus
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. VoodooGamer

they released FF7 and FF8 for PC, published by EIDOS if iam not mistaken, theres also FF online(forgot the number) and i think FF9 also got released for PC but iam not sure

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 HuusAsking

they released FF7 and FF8 for PC, published by EIDOS if iam not mistaken, theres also FF online(forgot the number) and i think FF9 also got released for PC but iam not sure

Mizarus
7 was published by Eidos for the PC (this was because Sony itself published the PlayStation version). SquareSoft published FF8 itself, including the PC version. Then there was FF11, of course. 9 IIRC didn't see a PC release.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Mizarus"]

HuusAsking
7 was published by Eidos for the PC (this was because Sony itself published the PlayStation version). SquareSoft published FF8 itself, including the PC version. Then there was FF11, of course. 9 IIRC didn't see a PC release.

Clearly that must mean Square is going to start making PC games by this guy's logic.
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 Vylence
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vandalvideo

Actually, every single game they've made for the consoles has gone to PCs, and the PC still has Dragon Age as an upcomming excluves. We're talking franchises remember? All of these franchises have remained exclusives. Now you're just going off on a tangent because I proved you wrong. The PC still has tons of quality exclusive titles left thay ou're never going to get on consoles. FACT.

I like how you call things fact which can only be proven in the future.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 Vandalvideo
I like how you call things fact which can only be proven in the future.Vylence
It has more to do with the type of games they are then likelihood of going. Most of those franchises are just not logistically possible on consoles right now.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#314 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]

Future? It's already been proved. Last year the PC had the most exclusives in which a lot of them got AA and AAA scores. The same will apply this year. Also most of those exclusives will NEVER go on consoles.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 VoodooGamer
So can some of you lemmings or cows or whatever answer me why you want to see the PC industry fall on it's ass? I'm really dying to know.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 HuusAsking

Vylence
It's actually quite provable. The technology gap assures this. Even as consoles come out, PC technology continues to evolve. Right now, today's PCs can do things even the PS3 can only dream about. Perhaps that's why Crytek itself said Crysis was an impossibility on consoles. As long as PC remain technologically superior to consoles, and as long as games come out that exploit this edge in technology, then games will come out that will be infeasible for consoles to match.
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#317 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Actually, every single game they've made for the consoles has gone to PCs, and the PC still has Dragon Age as an upcomming excluves. We're talking franchises remember? All of these franchises have remained exclusives. Now you're just going off on a tangent because I proved you wrong. The PC still has tons of quality exclusive titles left thay ou're never going to get on consoles. FACT.Vylence

Do you honestly believe that Microsoft would someday release Planescape or Baldur's Gate 2 on XBLA or something?

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 Vylence

Counter-question: how many new developers are making games for the consoles only, or even consoles and PC? How many are doing it for the PC only? I'm inclined to believe the latter is considerably larger. The barrier of entry is too low to be otherwise. And without these new developers, where would companies like Crytek come from?HuusAsking

I'm not sure what you are saying here... if you are saying that most Indy developers are on PC, I would agree with you. I would also point out though that while it was nearly impossible for Indy developers to put product on the consoles now it is becoming much easier. With PS3 running linux, XNA making windows and Xbox development seemless, and whatever that new thing is from Nintendo.

I know both the PS3 and Xbox360 do have Indy developers and I do believe some of them were the ones talking at GDC.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Vylence

So can some of you lemmings or cows or whatever answer me why you want to see the PC industry fall on it's ass? I'm really dying to know.VoodooGamer

I do not want it to die, I just want 360 to take some Blizzard games and Maxis games. And I would point out that Maxis seems to be in the bag.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]So can some of you lemmings or cows or whatever answer me why you want to see the PC industry fall on it's ass? I'm really dying to know.Vylence

I do not want it to die, I just want 360 to take some Blizzard games and Maxis games. And I would point out that Maxis seems to be in the bag.

And I would point out Blizzard explicitly stated they have no intentions to make console games because of the royalties associated with it.
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 Vylence

[QUOTE="Vylence"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Actually, every single game they've made for the consoles has gone to PCs, and the PC still has Dragon Age as an upcomming excluves. We're talking franchises remember? All of these franchises have remained exclusives. Now you're just going off on a tangent because I proved you wrong. The PC still has tons of quality exclusive titles left thay ou're never going to get on consoles. FACT.Noldorin2646

Do you honestly believe that Microsoft would someday release Planescape or Baldur's Gate 2 on XBLA or something?

Have you seen all the games that have come out on the XBL? The original Doom is on Xbox Live, so is Papperboy, and Rootbeer tapper. Which frankly I never thought I'd see papperboy again.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 Vylence
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]So can some of you lemmings or cows or whatever answer me why you want to see the PC industry fall on it's ass? I'm really dying to know.Vandalvideo

And I would point out Blizzard explicitly stated they have no intentions to make console games because of the royalties associated with it.

Time is on my side. And if Blizzard does start making games on the consoles, it will be because of those problems you do not think are problems.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 VoodooGamer

[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]So can some of you lemmings or cows or whatever answer me why you want to see the PC industry fall on it's ass? I'm really dying to know.Vylence

Well it wasn't really directed towards you. You don't seem to hate PC gaming or anything. But, there a lot of posts like "OMG IT"S DEAD MOVE ON" or "YOUR INDUSTRY IS DYING ADMIT IT." Not to mention the amount of threads like this. It just seems to me that these people think it's in everyones best interest that PC gaming just fall on it's ass. I don't know why. You would think people would have better things to do then to bash someone elses preferred platform.

I can however agree with you. I think everyone has a right to enjoy "great games"

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]

Time is on my side. And if Blizzard does start making games on the consoles, it will be because of those problems you do not think are problems.

You mean how blizzard games are some of the best selling games of all time and currently hold the highest ammount of subscribers? They ain't goin anytime soon.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]

[QUOTE="Vylence"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Actually, every single game they've made for the consoles has gone to PCs, and the PC still has Dragon Age as an upcomming excluves. We're talking franchises remember? All of these franchises have remained exclusives. Now you're just going off on a tangent because I proved you wrong. The PC still has tons of quality exclusive titles left thay ou're never going to get on consoles. FACT.Vylence

Have you seen all the games that have come out on the XBL? The original Doom is on Xbox Live, so is Papperboy, and Rootbeer tapper. Which frankly I never thought I'd see papperboy again.

Baldur's Gate and Planescape are both RPGs that are PC exclusives. No console gamer is gonna play a game that they probably have never heard of before.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Thats too bad. But untill it dies I'm ok.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
What I'm curious to know is why so many of you hate PC gaming? It blows my mind that you would hate something that doesn't really affect your time on the console. Fanboyism? Stupidity? I don't know. But, it's a bit wacked to think that people hate trivial things just to hate.VoodooGamer
i wonder too...most people fail to realize the difference between hardcore gaming and casual gaming on the PC. The PC will never "die" due to the latter. WoW is a prime example. you dont need a 8800 ultra to run it and millions bought it.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 HuusAsking
Baldur's Gate and Planescape are both RPGs that are PC exclusives. No console gamer is gonna play a game that they probably have never heard of before.
mo0ksi
Your average teenager may have never heard of or seen the classic arcade games mentioned, since they were born after they heyday of those games had passed.
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 Vylence

You mean how blizzard games are some of the best selling games of all time and currently hold the highest ammount of subscribers? They ain't goin anytime soon.Vandalvideo

Like Starcraft and Diablo didn't go? Or how Starcraft Ghost wasn't almost a console exclusive. I will be interested in learning what the deal is with their next MMO. And Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore its Blizzard Activision, who is owned by Vivendi.

Mizarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Mizarus

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]You mean how blizzard games are some of the best selling games of all time and currently hold the highest ammount of subscribers? They ain't goin anytime soon.Vylence

Like Starcraft and Diablo didn't go? Or how Starcraft Ghost wasn't almost a console exclusive. I will be interested in learning what the deal is with their next MMO. And Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore its Blizzard Activision, who is owned by Vivendi.

starcraft and diablo ports didnt even compre to the original games, and they probly had a good reason to cancel Starcraft ghost, also iam pretty sure that Blizz version of Starcraft and Diablo made less money on consoles then it did on PC, Piracy included

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

And Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore its Blizzard Activision, who is owned by Vivendi.

Vylence

A. Blizzard has been owned by Vivendi for many, many years.

B. they have stated the merger won't interfere with their normal business activities.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

And Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore its Blizzard Activision, who is owned by Vivendi.

Hewkii

A. Blizzard has been owned by Vivendi for many, many years.

B. they have stated the merger won't interfere with their normal business activities.

c. They have said they are not intrested in consoles at all.

wok7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 wok7
Member since 2003 • 2034 Posts
Hopefully PC will be able to compete with the mainstream again before it completely turns casual.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
And I would point out Blizzard explicitly stated they have no intentions to make console games because of the royalties associated with it.Vandalvideo
Why would they bother - they make piles of cash from WOW! They're hardly the average developer. Let me know when id or Valve or Infinity Ward or BioWare or Pandemic says consoles aren't worth it.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda

WHY ARE YOU COMPARING ALL CONSOLES VS. PC? DON'T YOU SEE THE FLAWED LOGIC IN THAT STATEMENT? AGAINST EACH AND EVERY CONSOLE, THE PC IS JUST FINE.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 mismajor99

[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]What I'm curious to know is why so many of you hate PC gaming? It blows my mind that you would hate something that doesn't really affect your time on the console. Fanboyism? Stupidity? I don't know. But, it's a bit wacked to think that people hate trivial things just to hate.darkmagician06
i wonder too...most people fail to realize the difference between hardcore gaming and casual gaming on the PC. The PC will never "die" due to the latter. WoW is a prime example. you dont need a 8800 ultra to run it and millions bought it.

WoW is still more of a hardcore game than just about every console game out there. Blizzard doesn't make casual games, popcap and company do. Blizzard just knows how to create games, they are one of the best at it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Oh also, what the hell is Chris Taylor smoking - Crysis sold 1 million in two months, even with huge system requirements.

million in two months just like another former 360 exclusive Mass Effect - both deemed sucessful.

How is that bad at all?

JiveT

Come off it already. Crysis didn't sell 1 million copies to people. It sold 1 million copies to video card makers to pack in with their cards.

No 1 million at RETAIL

Doesent include Video cards or DD... :|

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hopefully PC will be able to compete with the mainstream again before it completely turns casual.wok7
Funny how PC is the mainstream - 268 million gamers much?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#339 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Hopefully PC will be able to compete with the mainstream again before it completely turns casual.wok7

eermm..mainstream is casual. SO to compete with the mainstream it would have to become MORE casual, just like consoles are

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Baldur's Gate and Planescape are both RPGs that are PC exclusives. No console gamer is gonna play a game that they probably have never heard of before.
HuusAsking
Your average teenager may have never heard of or seen the ****c arcade games mentioned, since they were born after they heyday of those games had passed.

On an IGN podcast, this was touched one briefly. They had a grudge match between Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. Now, the older crowd all said, well, this is really hard to choose because the Street Fighter arcade games were awesome, whereas the younger generation bashed Street Fighter to smithereens. So there you go, I bet the general response to Baldur's Gate or Fallout on Xbox Live would be "WTH is this?"

vicscrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 vicscrape
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts
Lol I'm sure that there's piracy on consoles too.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Mizarus"]

Vandalvideo

Clearly that must mean Square is going to start making PC games by this guy's logic.

Actualy they are making PCgames. Every single big 3rd party console publisher is now investing in PCgaming, every single one. And people say PCgaming is dying. I guess those companies are all suicidal (hey, it makes sense, most of them are japanese afterall :D )

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]You mean how blizzard games are some of the best selling games of all time and currently hold the highest ammount of subscribers? They ain't goin anytime soon.Vylence

you do know what after canceling Ghost Blizzard closed down all their console teams and either fired people or moved them into PC teams? Blizzard makes more money on PCgaming than the ever could on consoles. And with rumored Starcraft MMO it will stay this way for some time. Will Blizzard stay PC exclusive forever? No way to tell, but you're fooling yourself if you think you will see Blizzard making console games in the next 5 years '

In future everything can happen, Blizz might move to consoles, just like Kojima might move to being PC exclusive developer :)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 AdrianWerner

MISCONCEPTION!? The PC has lost the most exclusives: FACT. Games which they would not have even thought about putting on a console they now develop first on the consoles. And so what Starcraft sold 15 million over its lifetime, so did GT4 according to others. And my lack of understanding of the PC market means I should not debate you? Meanwhile lead developers from your platform agree with me.Vylence

It works both ways. In PSX era there hardly were any console games on PC. Consoles were getting tons of ports from PC, but it virtualy didn't happen the other way around. Nowadays tons of important 3rd party console games are ported to PC. We didn't see it before, not to this degree.

And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles.

Vylence

what character? He has no personality. Gabriel Knight alone has more personality and is more psychologicaly belivable character than anything ever done on consoles.

Super-Punch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 Super-Punch
Member since 2008 • 251 Posts
Hermits will deny it
Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts

More QQ from a TC who is too dumb to realize that games are in fact developed on PCs and consoles are becoming more like PCs each generation.

I wonder if he knows that people who pirate software/music/games wouldn't end up buying the games anyway even if they didn't have access to the ability to pirate said products. It's been proven, get over yourself.

Epic fail.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Lol I'm sure that there's piracy on consoles too. vicscrape

PC game piracy DWARFS console game piracy and with the rise of broadband access it's insidious influence is rotting out the entire PC gaming industry.

I warned people in the OP to not try and use this line of argument because it's irrevelant.

vicscrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 vicscrape
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

[QUOTE="vicscrape"]Lol I'm sure that there's piracy on consoles too. JiveT

PC game piracy DWARFS console game piracy and with the rise of broadband access it's insidious influence is rotting out the entire PC gaming industry.

I warned people in the OP to not try and use this line of argument because it's irrevelant.

True but you still cant deny the fact that there's still piracy on consoles especially on other parts of the world

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 mismajor99

And despite all the rotting piracy, game sales are up from 2006. Just shows how much bigger PC Gaming is compared to console gaming.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

Please, NDS and PSP have many pirated games... jesus you'd have to be blind not to see all the torrents about them.