Chris Taylor to Hermits: YOUR INDUSTRY IS DYING BECAUSE OF PIRACY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#251 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Cute_Red_Panda

I have an idea. Why don't you try and find some evidence to make up your surreptitous claims? I've provided MOUNDS of evidence that shows that not only is the PC alive and kicking, but its the largest grossing platform of all.

I have not one logical foundation of my claim except the departue of PC developers going to console. Honestly, that's all I really need. Your evidence is nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers...

Thats not all you need. Besides, there is a relatively small ammount of developers making games for consoles. Oh and your turn of phrase is wrong. PC developers aren't going to consoles, they're becomming multiplat, just like every console developer is doing as well. You people have this exact same problem. However, the PC still retains the most exclusives. I like how you dismiss five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry, the NPD, and numerous satistics as "nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers". If you can't disprove what I'm saying, then I suggest you quit trying, because you're just digging your holedeeper. Things I've proven so far: A) THe PC accounts for 30% of the entire game sales. B) The PC's sales are not declining, in fact, theres been a 12% increase in sales since 2006. C) The PC has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles. D) Indie developers are selling multi-million copies in their first month without any issues from piracy. So heres an idea, come back when you have some evidence.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]Deflection. In the very article youuse to site PC gamings growth, in the very same sentence in witch they mention massive growth they also say "massive piracy Nobody is denying that piracy exists everywhere. I am sure NIntendo thinks it is a big problem. But PC dev's are changing focus from PC's to consoles and I think that sucks. Because it is a big problem.Keep running circles around all the facts and only use those that support your ideals.The ideal that stealing is ok because people have always stolen games, and PC dev's are just greedy because they are already making a profit.Vandalvideo
The idea that I should buy rehashed crap is just as sinister as piracy. I was using hyperbole to prove a point, just because there is piracy on the PC doesn't neceessarily mean that its harming the PC gaming market. All of the indie developers that arem aking games are selling millions of copies in their first months, and the PC is grossing over 30% of the entire industry. So please tell me, how is the PC exactly hurting?

That comment really says it all.

Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?

I would not trust you with 5 dollars.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]Actually I can, any game developer who payed for CD protection lost money to piracy, any game which has a CD key lost money to piracy. And you keep pointing out these amazing Indy developers, two does not a trend make. I can point out many more developers who are saying piracy is a big problem. And you still ignore that it would a negative that all blockbuster titles moved to consoles. Indy developers do not stay Indy developers if they make good games.Vylence

They did so of their own volition. The pirates didn't force the hand of the developer. Piracy didn't cost the developers money, their fascination with DRM did. And besides, Witcher, SOASE, and STALKER, you know, the games we're talking about, don't even have much DRM. Point failed.

If there is no piracy why would they put CD protection on their games? You defy logic.

Link. Witchers CD protection. And I do not se how you can say anthing about Sins since it just came out and we do not know what the sales will be like.

SOASE has no CD protection. PC developers placing anti-piracy DRM on their games is of their own volition. SOASE has relatively few pirates downloading the game and its on the highest selling list. That accounts for a whole lot.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
Its just as bad as how Hermits want to kill the middle man, they want people to lose jobs just because they themselves are too lazy or afraid to leave their house.wok7
How's that HD going? Why on earth do you still post here?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Vandalvideo
That comment really says it all.Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?I would not trust you with 5 dollars.Coyo7e
And we're not forced to pirate either. Like I've said ten times now, I'm not conding piracy, i'm condoning not buying crap.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Noldorin2646

I have an idea. Why don't you try and find some evidence to make up your surreptitous claims? I've provided MOUNDS of evidence that shows that not only is the PC alive and kicking, but its the largest grossing platform of all.

I have not one logical foundation of my claim except the departue of PC developers going to console. Honestly, that's all I really need. Your evidence is nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers...

These devs are leaving the PC because they failed at what they set out to do: giving an innovative product to PC gamers.

Talk about elitism...Who put you in the position to say they haven't? Yet, PC gamers rather pirate the game...Where is the logic in that?

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
Well, no matter what people say, it's undeniable that PC games sales are way lower than their console counterparts. Many PC devs are already switching to consoles, it's only a matter of time before it dies.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Cute_Red_Panda

These devs are leaving the PC because they failed at what they set out to do: giving an innovative product to PC gamers.

Talk about elitism...Who put you in the position to say they haven't? Yet, PC gamers rather pirate the game...Where is the logic in that?

I hope you guys know how much your blowing this topic out of proportion. Starting to become amusing.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Vandalvideo
Well, no matter what people say, it's undeniable that PC games sales are way lower than their console counterparts. Many PC devs are already switching to consoles, it's only a matter of time before it dies.NWA_31
Online distribution says otherwise. THe PC currently accoutns for 30% of the entire industry, more than any individual platform.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Coyo7e

[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]That comment really says it all.Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?I would not trust you with 5 dollars.Vandalvideo
And we're not forced to pirate either. Like I've said ten times now, I'm not conding piracy, i'm condoning not buying crap.

You have condoned piracy time and time again in this thread.

The fact that you continue to do it, apparently without knowledge you are doing it, is what is sad.

If I asked to hold 5 bucks for me I am sure you would find a way to rationalize your right to spend it on yourself.'

This is the reason most store surveillance is directed at the employee more then the customer.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Cute_Red_Panda

I hope you guys know how much your blowing this topic out of proportion. Starting to become amusing.

HoldThePhone

I don't want PC to die. I'm an advid PC gamer, but to say PC is doing okay, and see developers turn their backs on it is moronic. WAKE UP!!!! The PC is in a Crysis....:P

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"]That comment really says it all.Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?I would not trust you with 5 dollars.Coyo7e

The fact that you continue to do it, apparently without knowledge you are doing it, is what is sad.

If I asked to hold 5 bucks for me I am sure you would find a way to rationalize your right to spend it on yourself.'

This is the reason most store surveillance is directed at the employee more then the customer.

Once again, I AM NOT CONDONING PIRACY. I am not telling people they should priate. I'll say this one more time for you and make it as concise as humanly possible. PC gamers don't want to buy crap games. Am I saying PC gamers should pirate? No. I'm saying they shouldn't buy crap games.
Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"]That comment really says it all.Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?I would not trust you with 5 dollars.Coyo7e

Vandal has yet to condone piriacy. He was saying why Ut3 and Supcom didn't sell.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

Cute_Red_Panda

I don't want PC to die. I'm an advid PC gamer, but to say PC is doing okay, and see developers turn their backs on it is moronic. WAKE UP!!!! The PC is in a Crysis....:P

If you call most announced exclusives, highly rated titles, the highest grossing platform, large percent increase in sales, etc as in a crysis, then I guess the consoles are currently catastrophic.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

It is the logic of self interest only. Everything else be damned, I deserve this and that, and if you don't give me what I want I can take it and that is my right.

The philosophy of a coward.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"]That comment really says it all.Because they force you to buy rehashed crap?I would not trust you with 5 dollars.Vandalvideo

Once again, I AM NOT CONDONING PIRACY. I am not telling people they should priate. I'll say this one more time for you and make it as concise as humanly possible. PC gamers don't want to buy crap games. Am I saying PC gamers should pirate? No. I'm saying they shouldn't buy crap games.

'

I tried explaining this to Coyo7e as well, he doesn't get it.

People pirate good games. Good games sell well.

People don't pirate bad games. Bad games sell poorly.

Piracy is bad, but you are acting like it's an act of terroism or something ridiculously overblown.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Cute_Red_Panda
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

Vandalvideo

If you call most announced exclusives, highly rated titles, the highest grossing platform, large percent increase in sales, etc as in a crysis, then I guess the consoles are currently catastrophic.

lol. I like you...I would buy you if I could.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#268 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

Cute_Red_Panda

From the top of my head, the only devs I know that has announced their abandoning the PC platform is Epic and to some extent, Gas Powered Games. So take a look at the situation rationally.

First off, let's look at what Epic's saying about piracy. UT3 is an online shooter, without a proper CD Key, you can't play online. I seriously doubt that hundreds of thousands would pirate UT3 just to play against bots. No, UT3 sold poorly because it didn't offer fans any incentive to buy the new game, so they said, "meh, it's just 2k4 with prettier graphics and some of the best modes taken out." Hence, Epic failed at making a quality product.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

Cute_Red_Panda

What exactly is the hard evidence of PC dying or pirating destroying PC gaming? I know it hurts it, but lets be realistic.

To say pirating is destroying a developer is flat out ridiculous.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 NWA_31

Online distribution says otherwise. THe PC currently accoutns for 30% of the entire industry, more than any individual platform.Vandalvideo

I don't know how many games were downloaded, do you have the numbers ? And 30% isn't exactly impressive, considering PC gaming has been around since the early 90s, while the other 70% are still pretty new.

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Online distribution says otherwise. THe PC currently accoutns for 30% of the entire industry, more than any individual platform.NWA_31

I don't know how many games were downloaded, do you have the numbers ? And 30% isn't exactly impressive, considering PC gaming has been around since the early 90s, while the other 70% are still pretty new.

30%. For a single platform. With 6 other platforms included in that. That is what I call very good.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Online distribution says otherwise. THe PC currently accoutns for 30% of the entire industry, more than any individual platform.NWA_31

Thats numbers for the current generation, and includes all platforms like handhelds. 30% of the overall industry is amazing, much higher than any other platfomr.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 karasill

Both console and PC gaming has been around since the 80's :| To say it's not impressive just shows you failed at math or can't grasp numbers correctly. So the fact that 5 other platforms take up 70% combined isn't impressive that only one platform can take up as much as 30%?
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Vylence
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

Thats not all you need. Besides, there is a relatively small ammount of developers making games for consoles. Oh and your turn of phrase is wrong. PC developers aren't going to consoles, they're becomming multiplat, just like every console developer is doing as well. You people have this exact same problem. However, the PC still retains the most exclusives. I like how you dismiss five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry, the NPD, and numerous satistics as "nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers". If you can't disprove what I'm saying, then I suggest you quit trying, because you're just digging your holedeeper. Things I've proven so far: A) THe PC accounts for 30% of the entire game sales. B) The PC's sales are not declining, in fact, theres been a 12% increase in sales since 2006. C) The PC has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles. D) Indie developers are selling multi-million copies in their first month without any issues from piracy. So heres an idea, come back when you have some evidence.Vandalvideo

A) The PC acounts for less than a third of all game sales, yet has a user base of nearly 300million acording to your same sources. Consoles have considerbly less and account for greater than 2/3s.

B) Meanwhile Console games were up 46%, and if you would take out Wow from the PC numbers I wouldn't be suprised if that increase dropped to 6%.

C) The PC has the most exclusively lost titles and high ratings.

D) And you act like the Indy developers are the answer when an Indy developer is never going to stay an Indy developer.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Thats not all you need. Besides, there is a relatively small ammount of developers making games for consoles. Oh and your turn of phrase is wrong. PC developers aren't going to consoles, they're becomming multiplat, just like every console developer is doing as well. You people have this exact same problem. However, the PC still retains the most exclusives. I like how you dismiss five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry, the NPD, and numerous satistics as "nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers". If you can't disprove what I'm saying, then I suggest you quit trying, because you're just digging your holedeeper. Things I've proven so far: A) THe PC accounts for 30% of the entire game sales. B) The PC's sales are not declining, in fact, theres been a 12% increase in sales since 2006. C) The PC has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles. D) Indie developers are selling multi-million copies in their first month without any issues from piracy. So heres an idea, come back when you have some evidence.Vylence

A) The PC acounts for less than a third of all game sales, yet has a user base of nearly 300million acording to your same sources. Consoles have considerbly less and account for greater than 2/3s.

B) Meanwhile Console games were up 46%, and if you would take out Wow from the PC numbers I wouldn't be suprised if that increase dropped to 6%.

D) And you act like the Indy developers are the answer when an Indy developer is never going to stay an Indy developer.

Its funny that you have to include al lconsoles to even begin battling the PC. The fact of the matter is that the PC is the single highest grossing platform, higher than any other individual platform. The PC has lost a relatively small ammount of exclusives, MISCONCEPTION. Its like a big person jumping in a swimming pool, hes bound to knock some water out, but theres still a HUGE ammount of water left. The PC has so many exclusives that of course its going to lose some. That does not mean theres a huge exodus of developers.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#276 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Tell Chris that GAMING INDUSTRY the last 5-10 years making so many profits that WHOLE africa could feed for 10 years or more.

Also tell him that PIRACY or NOT they are making so much profit that i bet "AT LEAST" the headquarters of each company got 4-5Ferraris already,1-2mansions to live,make vacations on best hotels around the world and they got so many millions already that EVEN the childs of the childs of their childs will be millionares.

TELL him to DROP the prices to a number that is "logical" and give very nice MP and good extras that legal owners might wanna have and POP,PIRACY will drop dramatically.You cant say there wont be anymore.But will be so less than now.

Because if a game costs (including marketing) around 10M (estimated price for majority others maybe cost 40M $$ (very few games- others 50.000 $$(call me Puzzle quest??) and they selling 1M pieces,we are talking about 60M to 70M $$ here.Take out all the extra costs and we are talking about 30-50M in their pockets/company's bank!!!Imagine titles that selling more than 2-4-6 Millions !!! We are talking about CRAZY profits here...!!

What economics and success of gaming hes talking about? Isnt gaming success? Arent profits so high that compete the best movies of the world? WTH hes trying to say now? We all know that for companies the more $$ the better!! Now is PC fault or they are so greedy? I think both,but greed first!!!

As a gamer, i dont mind at all if they want their games on consoles too. Why not ? Thats good for consoles and gaming too. But developers/companies must give us something SPECIAL if they want our "Millions" so easy.Not ,one of the same games with better graphics. Thats why games like World of Warcraft sold already 10M boxes of WoW + 10M boxes of BC ++ 10M x 12$$ every month.!!! (Even if i dont like WoW i admit its superiority over other MMORPGs). Was something special and making a profit.Thats it.nothing more,nothing less.

Drop prices or make a game worth of the "millions" gamers would offer to you. Otherwise,go cry and release your games on every single platform in order to make the multi-millions you wished for.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Well, no matter what people say, it's undeniable that PC games sales are way lower than their console counterparts. Many PC devs are already switching to consoles, it's only a matter of time before it dies.NWA_31

Thats just it even if it becomes a niche market pc gaming will still exist in some form or another simply because it has to exist for console gaming to survive and technological advancement in the pc market in general to suceeded. To let pc gaming die is like slitting the throat of all gaming (pc or console). Console games need the developments made by pc gaming market and pc gaming market needs console gaming to get people interested in gaming so some of that (the userbases) transfers over into the pc gaming market.

If consolites really want pc gaming to die then be prepared to suffer some pretty harsh consequences that will see the industry in very bad times till pc gaming some how recovers cause developers realized exactly what they are doing to there own industry or there is a serious technology revolution on console where developers can make serious technological advancements like pc gaming market does.

It would be a very very bad day if the pc gaming market collapsed and it would be felt for decades.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Coyo7e

Tell Chris that GAMING INDUSTRY the last 5-10 years making so many profits that WHOLE africa could feed for 10 years or more.

Also tell him that PIRACY or NOT they are making so much profit that i bet "AT LEAST" the headquarters of each company got 4-5Ferraris already,1-2mansions to live,make vacations on best hotels around the world and they got so many millions already that EVEN the childs of the childs of their childs will be millionares.

TELL him to DROP the prices to a number that is "logical" and give very nice MP and good extras that legal owners might wanna have and POP,PIRACY will drop dramatically.You cant say there wont be anymore.But will be so less than now.

Because if a game costs (including marketing) around 10M (estimated price for majority others maybe cost 40M $$ (very few games- others 50.000 $$(call me Puzzle quest??) and they selling 1M pieces,we are talking about 60M to 70M $$ here.Take out all the extra costs and we are talking about 30-50M in their pockets/company's bank!!!Imagine titles that selling more than 2-4-6 Millions !!! We are talking about CRAZY profits here...!!

What economics and success of gaming hes talking about? Isnt gaming success? Arent profits so high that compete the best movies of the world? WTH hes trying to say now? We all know that for companies the more $$ the better!! Now is PC fault or they are so greedy? I think both,but greed first!!!

As a gamer, i dont mind at all if they want their games on consoles too. Why not ? Thats good for consoles and gaming too. But developers/companies must give us something SPECIAL if they want our "Millions" so easy.Not ,one of the same games with better graphics. Thats why games like World of Warcraft sold already 10M boxes of WoW + 10M boxes of BC ++ 10M x 12$$ every month.!!! (Even if i dont like WoW i admit its superiority over other MMORPGs). Was something special and making a profit.Thats it.nothing more,nothing less.

Drop prices or make a game worth of the "millions" gamers would offer to you. Otherwise,go cry and release your games on every single platform in order to make the multi-millions you wished for.

AzatiS

Another person who thinks it is ok to steal because the company is still making a profit.

Give me what I want or I will steal it......

The sophistication of a 3rd grader.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 HoldThePhone
If PC gaming is dying that i hope it continues, because I've never been treated with so many great games in such a short amount of time either. All selling over a million too.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#280 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
[QUOTE="AzatiS"]

Coyo7e

Another person who thinks it is ok to steal because the company is still making a profit.

Give me what I want or I will steal it......

The sophistication of a 3rd grader.

If thats what you understood from my post then QQ. No comment

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]You are blind if you can see the shift from PC dev's to consoles.If you are happy getting console ports on your PC, then by all means, things are just wonderful...Vandalvideo
Console developers like Capcom are also shifting over to PCs. OH NOES TEH CONSOLE GAMING IS DIEING. The PC still has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles.

Why do people site the move of PC developers to developing for consoles also signify the death of PC gaming. The fact of the matter is that PC gaming is only 1 of 4 gaming platforms (not counting handhelds). To me it is not that unreasonable for a gaming developer to want to develop on different plaforms of similar power to reach a much greater audience.

The fact of the matter is game development is getting more and more expensive, and if that expense can be offset by developing on multiple platforms developers will do so. The fact that multi-platform games are still coming to the PC just proves the fact that there is still enough money to be made in PC gaming to make it worth the effort.

The fact that games that used to be released on only one platform last generation like NG and DMC are now being released on multiple platforms just goes to show that it is not only from the PC platform that devs are expanding but from all other platforms.

If PC developers want to use piracy as their reasons for developing for the consoles then that is up to them, because lets face it piracy IS a problem in PC gaming. What baffles me is why they feel the need to imply that this is something new or declare that PC gaming is in decline or dieing because of it.Piracy is nothing new, yet there are hundreds if not thousands of PC software developers out there (both gaming and application) that continue to not only survive but make descent profit.

To me it is ludicrous to put all the blame on piracy for a software that fails to sell. I mean who among you can honestly say that the poor sales of UT3 was solely because of game Piracy. Also lets not forget that UT3 did no better on the PS3, what is their reason behind that? How about if it does not do so well on the 360, are we going to hear them complaining about the 360 then?

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 NWA_31

Thats numbers for the current generation, and includes all platforms like handhelds. 30% of the overall industry is amazing, much higher than any other platfomr.Vandalvideo

You got a link or something ? I highly doubt that, especially since games like Pokemo, WiiPlay and Halo have been selling like crazy and how we keep hearing about how the PC is suffering from illegal downloads.

Both console and PC gaming has been around since the 80's :| To say it's not impressive just shows you failed at math or can't grasp numbers correctly. So the fact that 5 other platforms take up 70% combined isn't impressive that only one platform can take up as much as 30%? karasill

Yes, but consoles are constantly changing hardwares and names, whereas PC remains PC. Sure, the hardware is also constantly being upgraded, but my point is that an old PC game like say, Doom is still part of that 30%, which is why it is unimpressive. In the future, you might want to think twice before telling others they failed.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

Cute_Red_Panda

Developers come and go. Or aren't you noticing that the noisiest people, the ones who are harping about the move to multiplats, are the old timers, the big boys? And even as that's happening, look at all the upstarts getting into the game now. And they'll keep on coming. PC has probably the lowest barrier of entry when it comes to development. And this will always encourage newcomers.
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Vylence
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Thats not all you need. Besides, there is a relatively small ammount of developers making games for consoles. Oh and your turn of phrase is wrong. PC developers aren't going to consoles, they're becomming multiplat, just like every console developer is doing as well. You people have this exact same problem. However, the PC still retains the most exclusives. I like how you dismiss five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry, the NPD, and numerous satistics as "nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers". If you can't disprove what I'm saying, then I suggest you quit trying, because you're just digging your holedeeper. Things I've proven so far: A) THe PC accounts for 30% of the entire game sales. B) The PC's sales are not declining, in fact, theres been a 12% increase in sales since 2006. C) The PC has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles. D) Indie developers are selling multi-million copies in their first month without any issues from piracy. So heres an idea, come back when you have some evidence.Vandalvideo

Its funny that you have to include al lconsoles to even begin battling the PC. The fact of the matter is that the PC is the single highest grossing platform, higher than any other individual platform. The PC has lost a relatively small ammount of exclusives, MISCONCEPTION. Its like a big person jumping in a swimming pool, hes bound to knock some water out, but theres still a HUGE ammount of water left. The PC has so many exclusives that of course its going to lose some. That does not mean theres a huge exodus of developers.

The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.

You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Vandalvideo
You got a link or something ? I highly doubt that, especially since games like Pokemo, WiiPlay and Halo have been selling like crazy and how we keep hearing about how the PC is suffering from illegal downloads.NWA_31
The article that I linked earlier explcitly states that its talking about PC gaming in the last year or two: Stude said that the PC had both massive growth and massive piracy. The growth, according to DFC intelligence, which tracks online, in the shops, and MMO subs, is up 12% on 2006, with $2.76bil made in 2007. That's about 30% of all games sales. LOOK HERE There are also said to be 263 million online gamers worldwide.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 HuusAsking
Yes, but consoles are constantly changing hardwares and names, whereas PC remains PC. Sure, the hardware is also constantly being upgraded, but my point is that an old PC game like say, Doom is still part of that 30%, which is why it is unimpressive. In the future, you might want to think twice before telling others they failed.NWA_31
As I understand it, these statistics only account for current sales--made within a certain timeframe, say the last year. So old games don't count unless people still buy them.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

but my point is that an old PC game like say, Doom is still part of that 30%, which is why it is unimpressive. NWA_31

actually, if anything that makes it more impressive if the rest of the market consists of every handheld and console ever made.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
isn't DMC4 on pc?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Vandalvideo
The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.Vylence
MISCONCEPTION! The PC has lost a relatively small ammount of exclusives, and exclusives are becomming more rare on consoles as well. Heck, GTA4, DMC4, etc all became multiplats This problem doesn't alone reside on PCs, games are going multiplat like candy on consoles. You're blind if you can't see that. The fact of the matter is that the PC has the most exclusives, highly rated titles, its the highest grossing platform, etc. What you fail to realize is that PC game sales are much different from console game sales. A PC game that sales 1 million in its first month, like Starcraft, will go on to sell over 15 million across its lifetime. PC games don't peeter out, they sell at a continuous rate the entire time. Your demonstration of a lack of understanding of the PC market shows that you're not ready to even begin debating me.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 karasill
isn't DMC4 on pc?out0v0rder
Yep. They seem to ignore that Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo series, etc, went to the PC. There is no proof that PC gaming is dying. All the consolites use to argue is that a few devs are complaining and all of a sudden PC gaming is dying. They ignore facts and statistics and keep arguing... Sad really.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 HuusAsking

The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.

You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.

Vylence

Ok, you mentioned Cliffy B. What about Tim Sweeney? He's with Epic, too, and more PC-centric, last I checked.

And you say PC is losing the most exclusives? Just name them, then.

And you're forgetting the PC sales curve. It's a lot smoother than that of consoles. Sure, Halo 3 sold over 2 million day one...but how about in March, at the six month mark? People still pay subscriptions to play WoW, so there must be a reason for it. And meanwhile, Crysis sales will probably hold steady as more and more gamers work themselves up to it in upgrades and new machines. Remember, PC sales are long term.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Vylence

[QUOTE="Vylence"]The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.Vandalvideo
MISCONCEPTION! The PC has lost a relatively small ammount of exclusives, and exclusives are becomming more rare on consoles as well. Heck, GTA4, DMC4, etc all became multiplats This problem doesn't alone reside on PCs, games are going multiplat like candy on consoles. You're blind if you can't see that. The fact of the matter is that the PC has the most exclusives, highly rated titles, its the highest grossing platform, etc. What you fail to realize is that PC game sales are much different from console game sales. A PC game that sales 1 million in its first month, like Starcraft, will go on to sell over 15 million across its lifetime. PC games don't peeter out, they sell at a continuous rate the entire time. Your demonstration of a lack of understanding of the PC market shows that you're not ready to even begin debating me.

MISCONCEPTION!? The PC has lost the most exclusives: FACT. Games which they would not have even thought about putting on a console they now develop first on the consoles. And so what Starcraft sold 15 million over its lifetime, so did GT4 according to others. And my lack of understanding of the PC market means I should not debate you? Meanwhile lead developers from your platform agree with me.

And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.Vylence

MISCONCEPTION!? The PC has lost the most exclusives: FACT. Games which they would not have even thought about putting on a console they now develop first on the consoles. And so what Starcraft sold 15 million over its lifetime, so did GT4 according to others. And my lack of understanding of the PC market means I should not debate you? Meanwhile lead developers from your platform agree with me.

And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles,

It ain't fact without evidence. Present your evidence. Exactly how many exclusives has the PC lost in the last five years? Care to name them?

PS. GT4 only sold 9 million. And GT3's numbers are disputed because it was packed into the PS2 for some time. As for GTA games, they're across all platforms, including the PC.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 karasill

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]The PC has lost the most exclusives out of any platform. And what you call relatively small is purely subjective. And PCs numbers should knock people out of the pool with 300million gamers on its side. Though consoles will sell more with less of an install base. Yes thats right Vandal those numbers you keep talking about are not making a splash when games like Halo3 can sell nearly 2.5 million in one day.You keep maginifying one small aspect of the picture, when I would much rather believe the developers who have jobs in the industry. Which is where this discussion began.Vylence

And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles.

So, what are these games? Other then Gears of War and Mass Effect? Which the 360 lost as exclusives.......
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Vylence

Spore, Call of duty (series started as a PC exclusive), Doom4, Populous, Sim City, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft (came out on the N64), Diablo, Hexen, World in Conflict, Super commander, The Elder book series. And those are the ones I could think off the top of my head.

Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 Vandalvideo
MISCONCEPTION!? The PC has lost the most exclusives: FACT. Games which they would not have even thought about putting on a console they now develop first on the consoles. And so what Starcraft sold 15 million over its lifetime, so did GT4 according to others. And my lack of understanding of the PC market means I should not debate you? Meanwhile lead developers from your platform agree with me And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles.Vylence
Which, again, doesn't really mean jack when the consoles are losing just as many exclusives. The problem is just as large on consoles. The fact remains that the PC remains as the highest grossing platform with the most announced exclusives. Starcraft is one of the best selling games of all time, and has sold more copies than the vast majority of other high popularity titles on consoles. Even the highest sellers like halo, which you so touted earlier, didn't come anywhere near Starcraft. Console games don't have the same kind of longevity as PC gamers, and that is a fact. And yes, your lack of understanding of the PC platform means that you aren't able to debate with me, as I've shown time and time again. I've proven you wrong, and theres nothing you can say about that.
Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 Vylence

[QUOTE="Vylence"]MISCONCEPTION!? The PC has lost the most exclusives: FACT. Games which they would not have even thought about putting on a console they now develop first on the consoles. And so what Starcraft sold 15 million over its lifetime, so did GT4 according to others. And my lack of understanding of the PC market means I should not debate you? Meanwhile lead developers from your platform agree with me And Mario has had more games then any character on the PC, he's on the consoles.Vandalvideo
Which, again, doesn't really mean jack when the consoles are losing just as many exclusives. The problem is just as large on consoles. The fact remains that the PC remains as the highest grossing platform with the most announced exclusives. Starcraft is one of the best selling games of all time, and has sold more copies than the vast majority of other high popularity titles on consoles. Even the highest sellers like halo, which you so touted earlier, didn't come anywhere near Starcraft. Console games don't have the same kind of longevity as PC gamers, and that is a fact. And yes, your lack of understanding of the PC platform means that you aren't able to debate with me, as I've shown time and time again. I've proven you wrong, and theres nothing you can say about that.

Ha Ha pal, yes you have proven me wrong in your head. Thats the same place piracy doesn't matter.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Vandalvideo
Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console. Vylence
Huge, and I mean HUGE misconception. The PC has tons of titles that, quite frankly you're never going to see on consoles. Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires, Icewind Dale, Warcraft, Planescape: Torment, Disciples, Settlers, Total War, Guild Wars, Savage, Dungeon Seige (Space Seige), etc. I could go on and on and on. For every franchise you named I Could name atleast three.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 HuusAsking

Spore, Call of duty (series started as a PC exclusive), Doom4, Populous, Sim City, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft (came out on the N64), Diablo, Hexen, World in Conflict, Super commander, The Elder book series. And those are the ones I could think off the top of my head.

Seems like almost all the big names in PC to me went sooner or later to console.

Vylence
And meanwhile, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Metal Gear Solid, and even Final Fantasy are gracing or have graced the PC at some point. To name a few. See, it plays both ways.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
What I'm curious to know is why so many of you hate PC gaming? It blows my mind that you would hate something that doesn't really affect your time on the console. Fanboyism? Stupidity? I don't know. But, it's a bit wacked to think that people hate trivial things just to hate.