lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/horror-scenes-as-destiny-player-deletes-stranger-s/1100-6425419/

Saw this article here on GameSpot. Apparently some kid running a stream of him doing SharePlay on his PS4 with strangers online resulted in one visitor deleting his Destiny characters which the article says were close to max level (I dunno myself, never played it). Then when the troublemaker couldn't get rid of the last character he started chucking the valuable gear. Man, what a fucked up thing to happen. Then again, I guess those dangers come with the territory of sharing control of your game on your console to absolute strangers, it was bound to happen. Still it sucks.

And the writer of the article doesn't seem to think Bungie is going to do anything to help this kid recover his character. And I'd probably agree given that Bungie said they aim to make mistakes like this less permanent (so are we to assume this is permanent?). Still, if I were that gamer that got fucked over like that, I'd at the very least try making a case to Sony, if for nothing else than for Sony to lay the banhammer down on that account/console that maliciously deleted somebody's character like that.

What do you guys think? Are people who do this stuff just asking for trouble when they get involved with strangers? Should there be any consequences for the troublemakers?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

That just seems like a bad idea

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yep, hope the **** who did that gets banned. Generally not a good idea to SharePlay with total strangers as it is.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

I don't understand this?

What kind of level of disconnect does a person have to have to find this amusing or fun?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Who the fuk shareplays with a total stranger.

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

Looking at the comments, I am surprised at how many people find the kid's misfortune humorous. Not sure what the point of deleting ALL his characters was...not cool at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

A dumbass who deserves this kind of things to happen to them.

It's like people who give out their passwords or credit card numbers to shifty people.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

The real problem is Bungie being unable to restore his characters. They call their game an MMO and they can't provide the bare minimum level of support every other decent MMO has.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zethrickk382

@Krelian-co:

Apparently an 11yr old kid that hasn't learned most people on the Internet are degenerates wasting valuable resources.

/Shrug

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Krelian-co said:

A dumbass who deserves this kind of things to happen to them.

It's like people who give out their passwords or credit card numbers to shifty people.

Not even on the same level. Have a little empathy.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krelian-co

@comchild said:

Looking at the comments, I am surprised at how many people find the kid's misfortune humorous. Not sure what the point of deleting ALL his characters was...not cool at all.

is not misfortune, is stupidity, misfortune is something you have no control of.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

This was discussed on the bungie forums a couple of days ago. The problem I see is, if Kermit gets permabanned, the kid should receive consequences as well.... the reason is due to the kid reaching out to someone to glitch his character into level 32.

Also, the youtube comment by the mom and the response by a youtuber is something I wouldn't have expected from youtube comments.

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@comchild said:

is not misfortune, is stupidity, misfortune is something you have no control of.

it's a kid...i have 2 of them, myself. kids are naive, and will easily fall for stuff like this. we all did, at one point.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BldgIrsh

@comchild said:

@Krelian-co said:

@comchild said:

it's a kid...i have 2 of them, myself. kids are naive, and will easily fall for stuff like this. we all did, at one point.

The experience the kid got from all this is worth more than the accounts he lost tbh... he was misled on a video game and now will probably be more wary of strangers.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

It was completely obvious this was a possibility, the guy should've been much more careful using the service.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

It's exactly the same goddamn thing. I don't know how Shareplay works, but if those participating can do these kinds of things to other players while participating, then the person doing the share shouldn't be bringing strangers in.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I would never use Share Play with strangers, lol.

Share Play is a very innovative and fantastic feature, but like any feature, there are numbskulls out there ready ruin your day. Why would you give up control of your game to a stranger? haha.

I hope the idiot learned a lesson and I hope the morons who deleted his progress get what is coming to them as well.

There is better games than Destiny, so maybe this kid can learn his lesson and find other games to play. I have lost progress in the past and it SUCKS, but you move on.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Poor guy, just learned a valuable lesson, the hard way, about losers on the internet - they are a dime a dozen. If his saves cannot be restored, at least Bungie should give him some free stuff in-game so he can level back up quicker.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BldgIrsh

@SolidTy said:

Share Play is a very innovative and fantastic feature, but like any feature, there are numbskulls out there ready ruin your day. Why would you give up control of your game to a stranger? haha.

I hope the idiot learned a lesson and I hope the morons who deleted his progress get what is coming to them as well.

The "idiot" was seeking for people to glitch him to 32. If the "morons" got punished for their deeds... then the floodgates will open with bungie receiving requests from tens of players to recover their lost characters due to acts of nature.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@SolidTy said:

There is better games than Destiny, so maybe this kid can learn his lesson and find other games to play. I have lost progress in the past and it SUCKS, but you move on.

The "idiot" was seeking for people to glitch him to 32. If the "morons" got punished for their deeds... then the floodgates will open with bungie receiving requests from tens of players to recover their lost characters due to acts of nature.

If that's the case (big IF), the lazy kid deserves exactly what he got...and kudos to those that deleted his saves.

EDIT: It could have been worse, he could have taken candy from strangers.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BldgIrsh

@SolidTy said:

@bldgirsh said:

@SolidTy said:

If that's the case (big IF), the lazy kid deserves exactly what he got...and kudos to those that deleted his saves.

He says it at 13:26-13:34.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50596 Posts

it was an 11 year old, poor kid.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BldgIrsh

On the side note: He got a clan to offer him a free sherpa through Crota's End until he got all his gear on his main. (He is now lvl 31, about to be 32 when he grinds for the shards.)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Why would you shareplay with a rando? This seriously sucks, but welcome to the real world... People are generally giant fuckheads.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zethrickk382

@Chutebox: "it was an 11 year old, poor kid."

Agreed, I think people lack perspective calling him an idiot,moron etc. It's an unfortunate but important lesson he learned in the end though.

It's a shame anonymity brings out such widespread malevolence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I wonder if I could hook up this guy with this Nigerian prince I know.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

This kid is going to grow up and learn the lessons of identity theft because of how stupid he is.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Chutebox:

Age doesn't matter when it comes to common sense. When I was 11 I wasn't this stupid.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

It's exactly the same goddamn thing. I don't know how Shareplay works, but if those participating can do these kinds of things to other players while participating, then the person doing the share shouldn't be bringing strangers in.

Shareplay is still a very new feature. I imagine most people don't know how far the system can actually go. The fact that you have absolutely no idea how it works supports that idea.

Not to mention, this was just a kid. Calling him a dumbass is overkill considering he likely just started gaming and his adventure on the internet.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

That guy saved that poor kid from a shit game. He's a hero.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

I agree that this kid shouldnt shareplay with a stranger, but Sony shouldve put in safeguards so they dont get sued.

They should disable the PS button during gameplay for the helper, and exiting gameplay should time out the connection

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BldgIrsh

@navyguy21 said:

I agree that this kid shouldnt shareplay with a stranger, but Sony shouldve put in safeguards so they dont get sued.

They should disable the PS button during gameplay for the helper, and exiting gameplay should time out the connection

I think the safeguard that was needed was the parent lock safeguard that is on the PS4. The kid is 11... technically he shouldn't even be playing destiny. With the parent lock most online features are disabled including gameshare, and streaming. (He shouldn't be streaming either.)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Well, on the bright side, the kid will probably lose all interest and move on to a better game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Sorry kid... People are dicks.

Really can't take a stance against the kids ignorance like I've read in some comments... The Internet being the Internet doesn't stop it from being someone maliciously being a dick.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Couldn't he have disconnected his PS4 from the internet and severed the connection with the other guy?

Edit: Never mind, just saw it. So the kid actually left for a bit and wasn't even paying attention. If he would've he could've avoided it by turning it off earlier.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@navyguy21 said:

I think the safeguard that was needed was the parent lock safeguard that is on the PS4. The kid is 11... technically he shouldn't even be playing destiny. With the parent lock most online features are disabled including gameshare, and streaming. (He shouldn't be streaming either.)

I agree with the parental oversight, but i disagree that an 11yr old cant stream or play destiny. There is more violence on TV and Movies than in video games, and Destiny is FAR from graphic violence.

So yea, his parents shouldve spent time with him to at least understand what he is playing and its capabilities, but ignorance isnt an ok for sufficient protections. I view it the same way Sony had their network set up before the big hack. Its like they dont plan for the possiblity. You cant give the internet that kind of power. This Shareplay should have limitations............not to protect idiots..............but to protect Sony. This is just an invitation for people to sue them.......especially with the stupid laws we have in the US that allows people to sue for silly stuff.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

Why would they get sued?

And this second line, what are you saying there? The reason the kid got his stuff deleted is he went afk so didn't see what was going on. Otherwise he could have just hit the PS button and stopped it.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

SharePlay just give too much control without any online securities. Poor kid, and what's worse than the ones deleting his files are people calling this kid names then editing their posts. Sony should have added some sort of safe guard so it's not possible for these things to happen again. But I think they will and downgrade SharePlay down a bit.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

That was great, **** that little kid.

I enjoyed hearing him cry.

He learned a valuable lesson.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BldgIrsh

@navyguy21 said:

@bldgirsh said:

@navyguy21 said:

I agree with the parental oversight, but i disagree that an 11yr old cant stream or play destiny. There is more violence on TV and Movies than in video games, and Destiny is FAR from graphic violence.

So yea, his parents shouldve spent time with him to at least understand what he is playing and its capabilities, but ignorance isnt an ok for sufficient protections. I view it the same way Sony had their network set up before the big hack. Its like they dont plan for the possiblity. You cant give the internet that kind of power. This Shareplay should have limitations............not to protect idiots..............but to protect Sony. This is just an invitation for people to sue them.......especially with the stupid laws we have in the US that allows people to sue for silly stuff.

I believe you can cancel shareplay with a click of the button. As powers said the kid did went afk right before his characters got deleted.

As well, I am aware that violence is abundant in today's media. And, they shouldn't restrict him from destiny, but from what you saw is he's naive and would believe any stranger. It could've gone far worst for the kid, imagine if someone watching his stream asked for his home address or his mom's Credit Card number in return to giving him cheats. He would've easily done it. If the parental lock parameters were placed in the first place he wouldn't have had this problem. (The parental lock wouldn't prevent destiny, but other features.)

Edit:

He's streaming right now even... playing with a couple of lvl 32's as well.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50596 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

@Chutebox:

Age doesn't matter when it comes to common sense. When I was 11 I wasn't this stupid.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the dumbest things I've read today.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Couldn't he have disconnected his PS4 from the internet and severed the connection with the other guy?

Edit: Never mind, just saw it. So the kid actually left for a bit and wasn't even paying attention. If he would've he could've avoided it by turning it off earlier.

It's amazing though how little time it took to completely ruin all his work. Even if he had been paying attention the visitor might have still been able to delete one character, maybe even two.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BldgIrsh

This whole thing is getting out of control on bungie forums heh... Kirmit got banned from PSN, and now there's a witch hunt for kirmit in real life... (they've found his youtube channel and already have pics of his actual face.)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krelian-co

@bldgirsh said:

This whole thing is getting out of control on bungie forums heh... Kirmit got banned from PSN, and now there's a witch hunt for kirmit in real life... (they've found his youtube channel and already have pics of his actual face.)

lol, i mean i am all for getting him banned from psn, he deserved it but that is just too much.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BldgIrsh

@Krelian-co said:

@bldgirsh said:

lol, i mean i am all for getting him banned from psn, he deserved it but that is just too much.

Yup... the mod for Cuckoo's twitch stream actually posted the youtube channel of Kirmit on the bungie forums... the face pictures are getting leaked through reddit and 4chan...

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Are developers responsible for shareplay? Seems llike Bungie didnt do its homework in restricting access so something like this doesn't happen. That or Sony needs to restrict access to maybe give the remote user the option to pause and then the owner is the only one who can control the menu options.