Can we agree Naughty Dog is the best 1st party developer?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Krelian-co said:

but again it is the only, or rather the best way to objectively qualify a game

No it isn't, because there is nothing objective about it. It's a series of subjective opinions put in one giant algorithm that ultimately gives you that multiple people believe this, but not "X game is this". Major difference. A general consensus is also a logical fallacy because "many people believe so, it must be so" is technically false, many people can still be wrong. Ergo not objective.

Reality is entertainment can't actually be qualified and reduced to a series of numbers. That line of thinking in it of itself is flawed.

then feel free to propose a better way of having a general opinion about a game, it's true is a collection of opinions, but with a good enough sample it is enough to have a general opinion about the game, now as for the genral concensus being a fallacy that is applied to science, and facts, no such thing in gaming since there are no absolutes or hard facts, the most we get is an approximation or a general concensus, we are talking about how good a game is, there is no fact to be found in there, the only measurable way of defining if a game is good or bad is the general opinion. Now you may disagree with such general opinion but saying a game is bad with a 91 score is just moronic, which is why meta critic was brought to the conversation, people may say they don't like the game, big difference than saying the game is bad.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#102  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Krelian-co said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@Krelian-co said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@Krelian-co said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Seabas989: 91 Metascore for Uncharted 3. Game over. Your opinion is worthless in comparison.

Metascore is really just a bunch of opinions. It's not gospel.

so we should go by your dumb opinion? xD

I didn't say that; not sure where you got that from. Plus I have nothing against UC. I dig the series.

I'm just saying that not everybody has to agree with the metascore. I'm sure there are games that you think are not good in spite of their metascore. For instance, I think Assassin's Creed is trash in spite of its good critical reception. If somebody brought up the metascore, I wouldn't really care.

i did't say everyone has to agree with metascores, but again it is the only, or rather the best way to objectively qualify a game, if we go by personal opinion there will never be a concensus, and what is more important, it is an easy way to shut up the people who are arguing that u1 and u3 are bad, so if you don't like meta critic feel free to offer a better way of giving a a game an objective qualification, it is not perfect, but is the best we have at the moment.

You are kind of implying that people need to agree with metascores. Why else would there even be a need to "shut up" people who think UC1 and UC3 are bad? It's fine to go against the consensus.

Why do I need to offer a way of giving a game an objective qualification? I'm fine with the fact that there's no truly objective measure. I'm fine with people thinking games that are widely thought of as being good are not good (tho I do sometimes poke fun at people's tastes). Now if somebody's making shit arguments, that's a different story.

i never said people have to agree with metacritic, what i am saying it is a good way to avoid dumb statements like the ones you did, for example, by meta critic you cannot say uncharted is a bad game, you can say you don't like it, but that's different, instead of saying it is a bad game because you didn't like it. And again, you can cry about meta critic all you want but unless you offer a better alternative i don't see the reason, it is a collective opinion thus a general concensus about a game, not once did i say you have to think the same but saying it is a bad uncharted 1 and 3 are bad games is simply moronic.

First of all, let's clarify that I didn't actually say that UC1 and 3 are bad games; on the contrary, I think they are good games. But then again, I'm not going to call someone a moron for not thinking they are good games because I can handle opinions that go against the norm.

Again, why do I need to offer an alternative? I am perfectly fine with there being no objective measure. Likewise, I'm not interested in "shutting people up" with Metacritic. I mean, if someone wants to discuss the merits or demerits of a game, that's cool, but simply saying "You're wrong. This game has a 90 MC score" is not constructive unless one is trying to score points in a fanboy shitslinging contest.

As for general consensus, that's basically an appeal to popularity fallacy. Better to just argue for a game's merits and learn to live with the fact that opinions on nearly everything will vary.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 GreySeal9
@Seabas989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@Seabas989 said:

@jg4xchamp It's been years since I played MP3. I did enjoy it back in 2007 as I though it was a great game. However, as a big fan of Retro Studios, even I'll admit that after Skytown, the game was forgettable. I remember disliking the Pirate Homeworld as dull and I hated the final showdown. But the first two planets to explore were memorable (especially the music). I just wish the game would have stuck to one planet then multiple planets.

Just to clarify, I'd rather play MP3 then UC3.

I love MP3 but I agree with the general consensus that despite the improvements in the core action (by which I mean the shooting), the level design, which is what made MP1 so very good, took a huge hit. It went from absolutely brilliant to getting the job done.

Agreed. Ask anyone about explaining or remembering the Pirate Homeworld and the answer would usually be: ?????

I did enjoy the IR pointer controls for the most part. However, the game was easy.

Yeah, I actually don't remember the Pirate Homeworld either lol.

And yeah, the game was easy save for a few bosses. Gameplay felt great tho.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By GreySeal9

@Krelian-co said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@Krelian-co said:

but again it is the only, or rather the best way to objectively qualify a game

No it isn't, because there is nothing objective about it. It's a series of subjective opinions put in one giant algorithm that ultimately gives you that multiple people believe this, but not "X game is this". Major difference. A general consensus is also a logical fallacy because "many people believe so, it must be so" is technically false, many people can still be wrong. Ergo not objective.

Reality is entertainment can't actually be qualified and reduced to a series of numbers. That line of thinking in it of itself is flawed.

then feel free to propose a better way of having a general opinion about a game, it's true is a collection of opinions, but with a good enough sample it is enough to have a general opinion about the game,

people may say they don't like the game, big difference than saying the game is bad.

Nobody's denying the existence of a general consensus. The distinction is that champ and I don't place the same value on a general consensus that you do.

As for the second sentence I isolated, although sometimes people make distinctions between quality and preference, much of the time people don't like games because they think they are bad. There's no reason one has to think a game is good just because it has a high metacritic score. Again, metacritic just says that critics liked a game to whatever degree. There's no actual positive truth value to an MC score. Using my earlier example, AssCreed has good metacritic scores but that's just not going to have any bearing on my opinion that it's a POS. Nor should it. I would be doing myself a disservice as a thinking human being to say that the MC consensus measure of what's good or bad should trump my own.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#105 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Right now? Yes they are. I would've said Nintendo few years ago (if we count them as single 1st party developer and not publishers) but now Nintendo's stuff doesn't interest me anymore. I was hoping for Star Fox to change that but wasn't impressed with the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#106 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

All the people crying about Nintendo EAD not releasing a new IP, Jesus, they literally just released one a month ago, and it was well received with great commercial performance to boot.

What's next?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Seabas989 said:

No because Uncharted 3 exists.

Can we all agree that "Can we all agree..." topic titles suck?

I can agree to that.

Pariah-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pariah-
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts
@Seabas989 said:

So what? I played all four ND games back to back to back to back.

• UC1: a terrible game
  • UC2: Outstanding but not perfect
  • UC3: garbage
  • TLOU: a great game

ND are the most inconsistent 1st party dev.

Besides ALBW beat TLOU for GOTY.

Uncharted 3 had pacing issues and a debatably anti-climactic ending. Aside from that, it wasn't far removed from Uncharted 2 at all. So to say that one was "garbage" but the other was "outstanding" puts your position in a sketchy light.

You probably would have been better if you just stayed ambiguous. Now people know you're lying.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Yeah

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#110  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Pariah- said:
@Seabas989 said:

Uncharted 3 had pacing issues and a debatably anti-climactic ending. Aside from that, it wasn't far removed from Uncharted 2 at all. So to say that one was "garbage" but the other was "outstanding" puts your position in a sketchy light.

You probably would have been better if you just stayed ambiguous. Now people know you're lying.

Not at all- I agree with him. Uncharted 3 has a lot of issues: pacing, as you mentioned, was one, and the ending was completely underwhelming. Apart from that, it fudged with the gunplay to the extent that it lost the satisfying ring from the second game, had worse puzzles than Uncharted 2 (if that was even possible) so that they became just tedious, getting in your way and breaking the flow completely, in addition to removing player agency almost completely (it was constant button prompts away from being a linear QTE fest) and erring too much on the side of cinematism.

It is possible to like Uncharted 2 - a masterpiece that treads the line between gameplay and storytelling with finesse - and dislike Uncharted 3- a game that has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and one that completely jumps the gun and pledges its alliance squarely to trying to ape a movie more than being a satisfying game to play.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Pariah- said:
@Seabas989 said:

Not at all- I agree with him. Uncharted 3 has a lot of issues: pacing, as you mentioned, was one, and the ending was completely underwhelming. Apart from that, it fudged with the gunplay to the extent that it lost the satisfying ring from the second game, had worse puzzles than Uncharted 2 (if that was even possible) so that they became just tedious, getting in your way and breaking the flow completely, in addition to removing player agency almost completely (it was constant button prompts away from being a linear QTE fest) and erring too much on the side of cinematism.

It is possible to like Uncharted 2 - a masterpiece that treads the line between gameplay and storytelling with finesse - and dislike Uncharted 3- a game that has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and one that completely jumps the gun and pledges its alliance squarely to trying to ape a movie more than being a satisfying game to play.

Yep. It felt like a game that was designed primarily with set pieces in mind while making a sloppy attempt at fitting a story around that. And as you said, the gameplay suffered because control was taken out of the players hands (more so than previous entries) in an attempt to capitalize on those set pieces.

Uncharted 2 had a logic to its locations.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Absolutely not. They are Sony's best, they still aren't as consistent as many of Nintendo's dudes, or even the Forza team MS has.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#113 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Seabas989 said:
@cainetao11 said:

@Seabas989:

"So what? I played all four ND games back to back to back to back.

ND are the most inconsistent 1st party dev."

What do you have a 3 point scale? UC 1/3 are by no means terrible. Vampire fucking Rain is terrible. Come on dude, get real.

Well let me explain:

Uncharted 1 was indeed a bad game. The gunplay was lacking, the level design was inconsistent, and the final boss was easily one of the worst I've ever encountered. Furthermore, the jet ski levels were atrocious and I'm glad ND got rid of them. Plus the first half of the game was way too repetitive and clearly the game felt unoriginal.

However there were some things I liked about UC1. Outside of the production values, in some later parts of the game, UC1 did have decent atmosphere. Something that the later games didn't have. However, I've played games with better atmosphere before UC1 came out.

As for UC3, that game was bad for different reasons. Technically it's better then UC1. However there were levels in that game that either sucked and/or were unnecessary. Whether its the shipyard, the desert, the ship portion, the beginning of the game, and the final level, the overall game was lacking. Some of these parts I just mentioned were horribly designed. Lastly, I felt the A.I. was worse then UC2 (my personal GOTY of 2009).

To make it short, I didn't like UC1 and UC3, but for different reasons and I stand by that opinion because:

a. I played, beat and own all of ND's games on the PS3

b. TLOU, while had flaws, blew away UC3 by a mile. I don't see how fans of ND can praise TLOU and not destroy UC3. It's like comparing Metroid Prime 1 to Metroid Prime 3. MP3 clearly was not as good as MP1 and both MP1 and MP2 destroy MP3.

Therefore, I do not think ND are the best 1st party developers currently as I find there work last gen to be inconsistent (from excellence to shit and back again).

I am not saying you have to like the games, or the dev in question. I just cant help but sit back and read all this about bad or inconsistent level design and laugh. You know who votes on Best Actor at the Oscars? Actors. Director? Directors. Just curious what marvels of gaming you have made so I can play them? Now we all have the right to our opinion I know that but where is the legitimacy of scale? A game not being as fun as its predecessor doesn't make it bad on mine. Like I said Vampire Rain, Rambo, Double Dragon 2: wander of the dragons are bad and terrible games.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I can agree to that.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Best is a very strong word in a world where Nintendo still exists.

That said, should UC4 reach a 90+ final score on Metacritic, it'll be a continuous run of 4 games reaching that threshold. If that's not a testament to quality I don't know what it is. Even if UC4 flops, a 3 game run is still impressive IMO. And that's not considering their PS1 & PS2 days.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

ND is definitely one of the best if not the best for more adult or more matured audiences while Nintendo is probably best for kids gamers. Something jut seems off to me if a 20-30yr old is playing Mario or Zelda in a serious manner. No offense people.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

Nope. In fact, Naughty Dog games in some regards embody everything that is wrong with the modern gaming industry.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#118  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Yes, they are way ahead of all other developers!

First off ND is like the only AAA developer left that don't do fillers. It's all just delicious meat with no fat (ok there are a few collectibles). Secondly they make the best set pieces by far. The action that goes on is spectacular while they still leave the player in control most of the time. The latest UC4 is just an incredible achievement that no other studio comes close at. Third, they are the best at in game character interaction. They build their characters through gameplay by letting them banter and comment on things around them, as well as interacting to bypass obstacles/enemies (many great examples in the latest demo). Other games do this as well, but not at the level ND does it. Fourth the visuals are smashing for the system they develop for. Not just on a tech level but more importantly they do really smart optimization. Stuff like the mud in the UC4 adds a ton to the look and feel of the scene, while not costing too much. Use of camera angles is also top notch.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#119 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

then feel free to propose a better way of having a general opinion about a game,

You argue your opinion reasonably and get over the fact that people aren't going to agree with you?

Not having a definitive criteria doesn't make metacritic a valid debate point. It would still be a flawed argument. Ditto with the general consensus argument. If I find something to be poor, I can articulate why I find something poor. In a rebuttal I expect an actual counter and not "here is this arbitrary number that means nothing in relation to the conversation"

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#120  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Nintendo EAD for life.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

A developer that's only made two good games in the last 10 years? Nope.

Nintendo has a much better track record

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#122  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

They up there but not the best. For me Uncharted games are not the best single player games. I'm pretty sure MGSV and Fallout 4 will be much better single player. And online the games they make can be fun... but eh.. not beast. I found it very hard to play Uncharted games online with all the silly OP pick up guns and blindfire auto aim. No clan system in their games is very painful for a KZ beast like me. Creating custom rooms and trying to get a clan to join sucks, they need to learn from Guerrilla. I never played TLOU but i heard the competitive in that game is a camp fest lmao.... UC4 please be better.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#123  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

The Last of Us as a shooter, okay, yeah it hangs in that higher group. The rest of its elements considering how prominent of a role they play between the survival horror styled scavenging to the stealth, both of those elements would get so thoroughly womped by better representatives of this genre, shit MGSV is this year and it'll be doing that action/stealth stuff way the **** better than The Last of Us if ground zeroes is any indication.

I think the scavenging does exactly what it's supposed to do. It makes you search new areas as you get to them, which is in character and feels consistent with the world. Since you can't pause to craft it also creates some tense moments. Not sure what more you wanted from the system? Sure it's pretty slimmed, but would adding more stuff really make it more compelling.

Dead Space 3 had a fairly complex crafting system which was a total waste and just annoying for example.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

As the cows are bringing MC scores into this, ND appear twice in the top 50 rated games, whilst Nintendo appear 4 times in the top 20 and 10 times in the top 50.

End thread

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I don't think there's a best first party developer, they're all good at different things.

@charizard1605 said:

No.

Nintendo EAD.

Nah, not lately.

In the last five years, EAD has made:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros. U, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Nintendo Land, among many, many more.

It's not even comparable.

What? there's no way one developer has made a dozen game in 5 years. Nintendo EAD must be the name of multiple development studios under Nintendo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_Analysis_%26_Development#Software_Development_Group_No._1

Lots of development groups making those games. Knew it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@gpuking said:

ND is definitely one of the best if not the best for more adult or more matured audiences while Nintendo is probably best for kids gamers. Something jut seems off to me if a 20-30yr old is playing Mario or Zelda in a serious manner. No offense people.

Why do mature gamers need to play mature games?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GreySeal9

@MonsieurX said:
@gpuking said:

This quote has been used on SW many times, but C.S. Lewis's incredibly wise quote on this issue applies to gpuking.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@skelly34: I'd say from PS1 untill now they have easily been among the best.

Crash Bandicoot

Jax and Daxter

Uncharted

Tlou

All great franchises..

anderswhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 anderswhk
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

I'd have to say, overall, Nintendo. Hard to beat that track record. In recent console generations, easly ND. Nintendo has nothing that interest me anymore, not even the Zelda games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Why do you always ask if we can agree on things?

This is system wars, the answer will always be no

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#131 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Can we all agree TC makes terrible threads?

Yes.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#132 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Pariah- said:

Yep. It felt like a game that was designed primarily with set pieces in mind while making a sloppy attempt at fitting a story around that. And as you said, the gameplay suffered because control was taken out of the players hands (more so than previous entries) in an attempt to capitalize on those set pieces.

Uncharted 2 had a logic to its locations.

"...As for UC3, that game was bad for different reasons. Technically it's better then UC1. However there were levels in that game that either sucked and/or were unnecessary. Whether its the shipyard, the desert, the ship portion, the beginning of the game, and the final level, the overall game was lacking. Some of these parts I just mentioned were horribly designed. Lastly, I felt the A.I. was worse then UC2 (my personal GOTY of 2009).

To make it short, I didn't like UC1 and UC3, but for different reasons and I stand by that opinion because:

a. I played, beat and own all of ND's games on the PS3

b. TLOU, while had flaws, blew away UC3 by a mile. I don't see how fans of ND can praise TLOU and not destroy UC3. It's like comparing Metroid Prime 1 to Metroid Prime 3. MP3 clearly was not as good as MP1 and both MP1 and MP2 destroy MP3.

Therefore, I do not think ND are the best 1st party developers currently as I find there work last gen to be inconsistent (from excellence to shit and back again)." Seabas989.

@Pariah-

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

I am not saying you have to like the games, or the dev in question. I just cant help but sit back and read all this about bad or inconsistent level design and laugh. You know who votes on Best Actor at the Oscars? Actors. Director? Directors. Just curious what marvels of gaming you have made so I can play them? Now we all have the right to our opinion I know that but where is the legitimacy of scale? A game not being as fun as its predecessor doesn't make it bad on mine. Like I said Vampire Rain, Rambo, Double Dragon 2: wander of the dragons are bad and terrible games.

What do awards shows have to do with this?

What does me being a developer or not have to do with this?

I'm not a developer but I can't have opinions on games? I am not a film director but I can't have opinions on movies? I am not a musician but does that mean I can't criticize bad music?

When did I say I had a rating system?

Why are you so mad?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Oh God no! They aren't even the best Sony developers. The Last of Us is there one good game. Crash was mediocre, Jak was ok, and Uncharted was terrible.

Retro Studios and Nintendo EAD take this title easily.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

How "current" are we talking? The last 10 years? 5 years? If so, my vote goes to Valve. Dota 2, Portal 2, and CS:GO have released within the last 5 years. 2 of those games are forerunners in esports with massive prizes and another garnered several GOTY awards. Funny how people forget about Valve.

Your "1st party dev" does not apply to me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#136 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Seabas989 said:
@cainetao11 said:

What do awards shows have to do with this?

What does me being a developer or not have to do with this?

I'm not a developer but I can't have opinions on games? I am not a film director but I can't have opinions on movies? I am not a musician but does that mean I can't criticize bad music?

When did I say I had a rating system?

Why are you so mad?

Dude, I was trolling. No harm meant

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Pariah- said:
@Seabas989 said:

That sounds like an apt description of Uncharted 2. I haven't played the 3rd, but to say the third was more focused on providing a movie-like experience than on the gameplay and Uncharted 2 isn't is pretty ridiculous. That is exactly what Uncharted 2 is all about. It's about the back seat driver exeperience that the developers push you through rather than your input. I mean at least 50% of the game is cinematic walking (mostly climbing in this case) in which your input is irrelevant.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@gpuking said:

This quote has been used on SW many times, but C.S. Lewis's incredibly wise quote on this issue applies to gpuking.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

But that is just an opinion of someone that means nothing unless you want to believe it. It's a perspective and nothing more.

Reading your posts in this thread denouncing any critical review opinions of games to be used in the conversation as proof or merit of anything, I find it amusing that you quote another person's opinion to try to make a point of something.

It's quite embarrassing really and paints you as sort of a hypocrite. If those were your own words it would have a stronger meaning after your brave stand against reviewer critical opinion, but now it just comes off as you using outside opinion when it suits you in your argument.

"The words adult and child exist for a reason, it's up to the individual to decide how these terms are looked at", by Playharderfool

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By GreySeal9

@playharderfool said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@gpuking said:

But that is just an opinion of someone that means nothing unless you want to believe it. It's a perspective and nothing more.

Reading your posts in this thread denouncing any critical review opinions of games to be used in the conversation as proof or merit of anything, I find it amusing that you quote another person's opinion to try to make a point of something.

It's quite embarrassing really and paints you as sort of a hypocrite. If those were your own words it would have a stronger meaning after your brave stand against reviewer critical opinion, but now it just comes off as you using outside opinion when it suits you in your argument.

"The words adult and child exist for a reason, it's up to the individual to decide how these terms are looked at", by Playharderfool

Your quote is lame doesn't really say shit tho, probably because you lack the wisdom and maturity to say anything thoughtful or wise. Which I'm not faulting you for. Thirteen year olds are not particularly quotable lol.

Also, your opinion that I'm a hypocrite because I used somebody's opinion is nonsensical and grasping for straws. It is perfectly fine for somebody to use a quote that they think is wise or applicable while acknowledging the reality that review scores and metascore averages are nothing more than opinions (which is a fact). I never said Lewis's quote is fact. Nor did I say that critics can't say useful things. What Lewis said is relevant to gpuking's assertion and is food for thought. That doesn't mean that metascores somehow become gospel. The idea that one has to put stock in metascores to use CS Lewis quotes is a downright comical non-sequitur.

Also, there is a difference between a specific quote with a specific application/meaning and a metascore. Trying to compare the two is tenuous at best.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Can we all agree TC makes terrible threads?

Yep. +1. Back in the day, trolling meant something.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#142  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Can we all agree? No. The answer is always no.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#143 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@ultimateimp said:

FromSoft are the best.

they aren't first party

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#144 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I don't think there's a best first party developer, they're all good at different things.

@charizard1605 said:

No.

Nintendo EAD.

Nah, not lately.

In the last five years, EAD has made:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros. U, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Nintendo Land, among many, many more.

It's not even comparable.

And most of those games suck or are overrated with the exception of like 4 games, also we know you don't like Skyward Sword and did you just put Nintendo Land in there??? dude.....

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By GreySeal9

@playharderfool said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@gpuking said:

Also, come to think of it, this statement is not even coherent. You say that the words exist for a reason (though you are either too lazy or incapable of fleshing out this reason; without fleshing it out, you're simply offering a banality), implying that they have a specific meaning, but then you imply in the second part of the comment that the terms are subjective. Not to mention that nobody actually denied the distinction between child and adult; the Lewis quote actually clearly offers differences between childhood and adulthood. He just doesn't base the difference on trivialities.

My advice would be to not try and post a quote of your own because I used a Lewis quote. You're way out of your depth. Stick to being a Sony soldier.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

They are probably the most consistent in recent years. I'd probably put them at number 1. Maybe The Coalition will blow us away with Gears 4.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#147 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@AzatiS:

@AzatiS said:
@charizard1605 said:

No.

Nintendo EAD.

The best developer in the world shouldnt be one that plays it safe more or less ...There are way too many of them latetly. Should be one with such creativity ( ND ) that can win countless awards from both gaming community AND industry ( aka rivals too ) as well by NEW IPs.

Thats the only reason why i would give ND an edge over EAD at this very moment. NEW Ips >> The same formula even if that formula works and its AAA by default. NEW ips. When EAD will try that as well , provide 2 new IPs or more in the same generation and get the awards and the praise ND got with UC/TLOU series.. then we can talk again who is better. For now ND has the edge no doubt ( you saw UC4 E3 2015 demo ?? Thats way and beyond )

Now i dont know if ND is the best but they heading there ... IF their next NEW IP get the awards and the praise from gamers and industry once again like UC series and TLOU did ... well yes , we have to do with the best developer around for the time being ... And when you see what they did with UC4 , oh boy , you cant do nothing more than praise them ( i do )

ND isn't breaking out of the play it safe. They dropped their more interesting games jak and daxter for a white power trip mixed with tomb raider... and its a pretty spectacle over substance type of 3rd person shooter. Even TLOU isn't breaking any molds gameplay wise. Granted comparing ND to nintendo is kind of silly... Nintendo isn't just a developer... its an entire publisher as well and they probably have a lot of development studios that aren't distingushied from "nintendo".

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@waahahah said:

@AzatiS:

@AzatiS said:
@charizard1605 said:

No.

Nintendo EAD.

The best developer in the world shouldnt be one that plays it safe more or less ...There are way too many of them latetly. Should be one with such creativity ( ND ) that can win countless awards from both gaming community AND industry ( aka rivals too ) as well by NEW IPs.

Thats the only reason why i would give ND an edge over EAD at this very moment. NEW Ips >> The same formula even if that formula works and its AAA by default. NEW ips. When EAD will try that as well , provide 2 new IPs or more in the same generation and get the awards and the praise ND got with UC/TLOU series.. then we can talk again who is better. For now ND has the edge no doubt ( you saw UC4 E3 2015 demo ?? Thats way and beyond )

Now i dont know if ND is the best but they heading there ... IF their next NEW IP get the awards and the praise from gamers and industry once again like UC series and TLOU did ... well yes , we have to do with the best developer around for the time being ... And when you see what they did with UC4 , oh boy , you cant do nothing more than praise them ( i do )

ND isn't breaking out of the play it safe. They dropped their more interesting games jak and daxter for a white power trip mixed with tomb raider... and its a pretty spectacle over substance type of 3rd person shooter. Even TLOU isn't breaking any molds gameplay wise. Granted comparing ND to nintendo is kind of silly... Nintendo isn't just a developer... its an entire publisher as well and they probably have a lot of development studios that aren't distingushied from "nintendo".

What are you saying now ? They dropped an AAA and a well established franchise to try something new from SCRATCH , literally. And they made 2 games from ground up to be one of the most award winning , high scored , community praised games of last generation. I would love to see Nintendo leave for a while the comfort zone like ND did with Mario/Kart/Smash/Zelda combo and try something from scratch and be an AAA material with high standard values..

Im not trying to say Nintendo isnt great but as for right now , ND in on another level atm.

Dont take that lightly when something have to materialized from ART on paper .. They dropped a sure seller and a well established franchise for something NEW and they delivered awesomeness both times ... thats what i call a great developer. In my opinion that is

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@playharderfool said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Also, come to think of it, this statement is not even coherent. You say that the words exist for a reason (though you are either too lazy or incapable of fleshing out this reason; without fleshing it out, you're simply offering a banality), implying that they have a specific meaning, but then you imply in the second part of the comment that the terms are subjective. Not to mention that nobody actually denied the distinction between child and adult; the Lewis quote actually clearly offers differences between childhood and adulthood. He just doesn't base the difference on trivialities.

My advice would be to not try and post a quote of your own because I used a Lewis quote. You're way out of your depth. Stick to being a Sony soldier.

I think even TC would agree that UC is for the children

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 GreySeal9

@waahahah said:

@AzatiS:

@AzatiS said:
@charizard1605 said:

No.

Nintendo EAD.

How is Jak and Daxter any more interesting than UC? The first was a good but completely standard platformer while the sequels made a cringey attempt to be edgy and rode on those GTA caottails.