Can Super Smash Bros Save Wii U?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Can Super Smash Bros Save Wii U? (77 votes)

Yes 13%
No 57%
Super Smash Bros Along With Mario Kart Can 30%

The fourth installment in Nintendo's biggest series for its home consoles is about to hit the Wii U later this year; Super Smash Bros games sell a crazy amount, and they sell an equally crazy amount of consoles with them. Do you think that Super Smash Bros. 4 will save the Wii U to any degree? Bump system sales upon release? Or do you think that it also being on the 3DS will hurt it a little?

Do you think that Smash alone won't be able to save the Wii U, but Smash and Kart together might help it at least a little?

• 
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#51 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

One or 2 games alone cannot save a system.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its over char...

lets just hope nintendo doesnt cancel the wiiU and keeps releasing great games for it.

mario kart and smash bros look awesome.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

Any hardcore smash fan knows that project M is where it's at. I'll buy smash 4 for my 3ds for casual on the go play but when I really need to scratch the itch it's project M all the way. For those who don't know what it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxskj3UFV0

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

Absolutely nothing can save the wii u....nothing. There hasn't EVER been a console to launch with as much problems as the Wii U has.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#55 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
@augustevans said:

Absolutely nothing can save the wii u....nothing. There hasn't EVER been a console to launch with as much problems as the Wii U has.

Wii U

• it is coming off a wildly successful Wii console that plateaued two years before the Wii U was in development
  • every console it made before the 3ds made a profit
  • Nintendo in nowhere near as bad of a shape as either Sega or Sony
  • Nintendo has the liquid assets to absorb one bad generation, no matter how amplified the consequences
  • Wii U is selling at a loss, but a loss that is easily negated if one software is bought

Dreamcast

• Coming after Sega had two consecutive
  • Genesis CD was a failure that confused the market
  • Saturn was a failure that was abandoned early
  • Sega is losing money
  • the Dreamcast was their last hurrah before the PS2 comes along
  • poor security and rampant piracy killed the viability of the system

It took Sega three flops in a row before they tapped out GG. Nintendo until now never took significant losses financially, and when they do, it's isolated enough to not do significant damage.

is Smash Bros going to save the system? Arguably at this point, Sony has already surpassed Nintendo as the number one brand in gaming. It would still be a hell of a game, and that is all that matters.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@TwistedShade: Great 2013 lineup? Do you mean OK Q2 and stellar Q4? Next to nothing released outside of those windows.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:
@augustevans said:

Wii U

• it is coming off a wildly successful Wii console that plateaued two years before the Wii U was in development
  • every console it made before the 3ds made a profit
  • Nintendo in nowhere near as bad of a shape as either Sega or Sony
  • Nintendo has the liquid assets to absorb one bad generation, no matter how amplified the consequences
  • Wii U is selling at a loss, but a loss that is easily negated if one software is bought

Dreamcast

• Coming after Sega had two consecutive
  • Genesis CD was a failure that confused the market
  • Saturn was a failure that was abandoned early
  • Sega is losing money
  • the Dreamcast was their last hurrah before the PS2 comes along
  • poor security and rampant piracy killed the viability of the system

It took Sega three flops in a row before they tapped out GG. Nintendo until now never took significant losses financially, and when they do, it's isolated enough to not do significant damage.

is Smash Bros going to save the system? Arguably at this point, Sony has already surpassed Nintendo as the number one brand in gaming. It would still be a hell of a game, and that is all that matters.

I'm talking about the system itself, not Nintendo. The dc was a much better console despite sega's downfall.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

No single game can save a system.

It will certainly help though. The more great games released on the Wii U, the more people will want to own one.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

More likely another price cut for the Wii U will save it. Other than a price cut, is better marketing.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

We hear it a lot, but what does "save Wii U" mean?

After all Nintendo is still maintaining marginal profits so it's not like the system is sinking them.

The trouble is it gets harder to persuade stores to carry the thing.

Some of the big chains have demonstrated that they have little faith in it's future. They don't want to stock it or its games.

Wii U isn't enough to destroy Nintendo singlehandedly, but its failure will damage their reputation and any successor console they produce will face an uphill struggle. It's crucial that they emerge from this debacle with their dignity intact, and a lot of customer goodwill.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

If mario didnt , which was an exceptional game once more , i dont see how Smash bros will.

For sure will drive some sales , specially in US ( i think ) but wont turn around PS4s/X1s momentum imho. If Wii U costed around 200$ with a good title ( lets say Zelda WW remake digital download ) ... Then yes. But to cost 300$ when PS4 is at 399 !! Thats an overkill.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Naylord said:

Any hardcore smash fan knows that project M is where it's at. I'll buy smash 4 for my 3ds for casual on the go play but when I really need to scratch the itch it's project M all the way. For those who don't know what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxskj3UFV0

Who knows, they might mod the new Smash Bros. game, then that might be the go to for Smash enthusiasts.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Doubt it. Especially with the 3DS cannibalizing its sales

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Not when its also coming to 3DS.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

They will sell a good amount of consoles, that's for sure.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

I dont understand why people go with the philosophy of "Saving"

There is no "Saving"

The Wii U is simply gonna keep getting great games in the long run and this year is hopefully home to plenty. You guys are forcing it.

Angryduck67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Angryduck67
Member since 2004 • 272 Posts

I don't think anyone will be saving the Wii U. At best we are looking at another Gamecube, and I do not have a problem with that because I've never gotten a Nintendo system for the purpose of being my primary gaming device. I don't expect to play them everyday, as long as I can get a few great Nintendo games a year and a handful of decent downloadable stuff, I'm good. With that being said, the 3DS was looking pretty bleak when I picked it up and that has become my primary gaming device by a long shot. Especially since I got into those Etrian Odyssey games. So I guess it could surprise us, but I don't think it will. What with tablets and smartphones and cheap, mass-market laptops that can run apps I think the Wii U just cant squeeze into those pants, which is tragic because it's such a better console than the Wii ever was. Either way, those guys have proven again and again that they can turn coal into diamonds, even if they have to do it by themselves.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

I really can't say, but 1 thing I can surely say is that, if GS flops SSB for the Wii-U, then SW will be the one need saving that day.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Nintendo needs a handful of games that take advantage of the technological leaps they have made and something that is appealing to the masses on the superficial level because that matters. They need a game that pushes the tech. A game that aims "big"....A game that makes people say "WOW" the first time they see it. This word of mouth "its fun to play" approach only goes so far in this 'megahype, extreme doritos advertising' era.

They need to develop more games that look fun to play... Games that look like a big step up from the games that have come before it the very first time they lay eyes on it.