Can someone please explain the attaction of Kinect is?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

I just don't get it. What am I missing here? It just seems to me that the same people who are awed by Kinect are the same sort of people who purchased "The Clapper" back in the late 1980s. I've now watched countless demonstration videos of it on YouTube and I'm not impressed. It's not the future, and why any intelligent adult would want transform his/her living room into a cheap interpretation of a 1960s sci-fi movie (ooooh...voice commands...how kooky and futuristic!!) is beyond me.

Aren't gaming consoles supposed to focus primarily on gaming? I honestly don't understand the advantage of having a gaming device also serve as some kind of half-assed, all-in-one, voice-activated channel-surfing, Swiss army knife, jack-of-all-trades robo-tampon/behind-wiper as well. Perhaps those who believe that consoles should have such superfluous functionality should rethink why they want to game in the first place.

#2 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

Innovation bro

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (32189 posts) -

SW really needs to get the thread creation rule back

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (44983 posts) -

It can identify your bulge.

#5 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

I just don't get it. What am I missing here? It just seems to me that the same people who are awed by Kinect are the same sort of people who purchased "The Clapper" back in the late 1980s. I've now watched countless demonstration videos of it on YouTube and I'm not impressed. It's not the future, and why any intelligent adult would want transform his/her living room into a cheap interpretation of a 1960s sci-fi movie (ooooh...voice commands...how kooky and futuristic!!) is beyond me.

Aren't gaming consoles supposed to focus primarily on gaming? I honestly don't understand the advantage of having a gaming device also serve some kind of half-assed, all-in-one, voice-activated channel-surfing, Swiss army knife, jack-of-all-trades robo-tampon/behind-wiper as well. Perhaps those who believe that consoles should have such superfluous functionality should rethink why they want to game in the first place.

Best first post ever.

#6 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Rekkanize, bitch.

#7 Edited by NFJSupreme (5501 posts) -

if you don't want it then don't buy it. But if you don't understand why other people will want it then that is a YOU problem and not a problem with other people.

#8 Posted by Chutebox (38878 posts) -

From what I understand now, it's all voice. Not one person mentions the main "attraction" to Kinect in the first place, which was motion based control. Now it's voice control and checking out if you're packing enough to be noticed.

#9 Posted by Crossel777 (5819 posts) -

There is no attraction, Microsoft just thinks by shoving this really poorly made idea in everyone's faces that it will some how catch on. They think what they've made is some grand innovation that will set the xbox apart from the competition. They're completely blind to the amount of people that make a mockery out of it.

#10 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -
Loading Video...

#11 Posted by Zoso813 (310 posts) -

Same people that buy iPads. Simpletons.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

camwhore effectively with your pants on

#13 Edited by SuperCowElitist (732 posts) -

Lemming was hyping abut Kinect because it was all about awesome kinect games. Now, they're saying it's all about voice commands. Next year, it will be all about video chatting with Kinect. I asked my dad whats kinect use for in Xbone, he shrug his shoulder! LMAO!

#14 Edited by SolidTy (46581 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

Can someone please explain the attaction of Kinect is?

You mean Attraction.

Answer: Voyeurism. Not only to perform for the US gov't and M$, but there is more as well. What if you like to watch more than perform?

Kinect has you Covered, mon frere!

You can even invite friends over and record them incognito watching their dongs fling about their pants in infrared while enjoying a TB burrito lathered in sexy mild sauce days later. If you like irony, have your friends peep through your window days later while you watch them on your recordings.

#15 Posted by TheRealBigRich (773 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

if you don't want it then don't buy it. But if you don't understand why other people will want it then that is a YOU problem and not a problem with other people.

this, I don't get it if you don't understand it no one is forcing you to buy it. Ms did you a favor so now you can play on pc, wii u or ps4 and you don't have to buy the xbox one

#16 Edited by Bruin1986 (1473 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

I just don't get it. What am I missing here? It just seems to me that the same people who are awed by Kinect are the same sort of people who purchased "The Clapper" back in the late 1980s. I've now watched countless demonstration videos of it on YouTube and I'm not impressed. It's not the future, and why any intelligent adult would want transform his/her living room into a cheap interpretation of a 1960s sci-fi movie (ooooh...voice commands...how kooky and futuristic!!) is beyond me.

Aren't gaming consoles supposed to focus primarily on gaming? I honestly don't understand the advantage of having a gaming device also serve as some kind of half-assed, all-in-one, voice-activated channel-surfing, Swiss army knife, jack-of-all-trades robo-tampon/behind-wiper as well. Perhaps those who believe that consoles should have such superfluous functionality should rethink why they want to game in the first place.

The majority of the world's gaming community is not like the posters on System Wars. It's not like the posters on ANY gaming forum for that matter.

Yes, I know a large number of people who enjoy the Kinect. No, they don't post on forums because they don't care that much about gaming or have other hobbies. They aren't even the people who write articles about videogames or stream the VGAs from home. Yes, shockingly enough, they do exist.

Because you don't understand why someone else would like it, it doesn't somehow negate the fact that other people like the options it can bring. Personally, I don't care that much about the Kinect, but it also doesn't put me into a rabid nerd-rage that M$ had the "audacity" to invest in improving a device that I personally don't care much for.

No, we aren't going to explain "why" to you because that would be the same as me explaining to you why science-fiction books are better than historical non-fiction.

Despite the fact that everyone on System Wars is an "expert" on the gaming world and has a PhD in videogames, M$ knows that there are people in it's target demographic who will enjoy the Kinect, even if System Warriors don't think so. If you think otherwise, there is no point in continuing this conversation.

#17 Posted by GoldenElementXL (4304 posts) -

Right now it works most of the time. And the 85% of the time you use it the thing feels like it's from the future. The other 15% of the time it doesn't to what you want and you then use the controller like you would on another console. The Kinect 2.0 feels like a huge leap over the first and it was actually very smart for M$ to include it with every console. Publishers must give Kinect the attention M$ thinks it deserves. Now they need to get this thing to work 99%-100% of the time.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (48755 posts) -

For shouting at your TV and shitty games.

#19 Edited by SolidTy (46581 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

Right now it works most of the time. And the 85% of the time you use it the thing feels like it's from the future. The other 15% of the time it doesn't to what you want and you then use the controller like you would on another console. The Kinect 2.0 feels like a huge leap over the first and it was actually very smart for M$ to include it with every console. Publishers must give Kinect the attention M$ thinks it deserves. Now they need to get this thing to work 99%-100% of the time.

Somebody call Super600, he has a way with percentages like you wouldn't believe. :P

Loading Video...

#20 Edited by YD_11 (1867 posts) -

Turning on X1 and Tv, working out, dancing games, sports games, recognizing you and signing you into your profile automatically, body/head tracking, skype, game clip editing with your video commentary if desired, navigating menus apps and games, etc. Who knows what devs will come up with in the future to implement with kinect.

If you have friends.. and even further are able to get them to visit you; it makes for good party games too.

Somehow i don't think you really want anyone to explain it to you though and only want reaffirmation of some prejudice you've come up with against Kinect or MS in general

#21 Edited by SonyS1ut (25 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

Right now it works most of the time. And the 85% of the time you use it the thing feels like it's from the future. The other 15% of the time it doesn't to what you want and you then use the controller like you would on another console. The Kinect 2.0 feels like a huge leap over the first and it was actually very smart for M$ to include it with every console. Publishers must give Kinect the attention M$ thinks it deserves. Now they need to get this thing to work 99%-100% of the time.

Yeah the publishers could bend over and receive this from M$ or they could say bugger it we will just Dev for the better platforms in PC and PS4....

#22 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

until you spend a day with it, i guess you won't understand

#23 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:
Loading Video...

Now imaging that in HD with the cam watching your meat slap your leg and the NSA recording it. It is also good for lonely xbots but it only listens to them 60 percent of the time.

#24 Posted by KHAndAnime (15023 posts) -

Kinect reminds me of that Pikachu game on the N64 where you talk to your Pikachu with a microphone. All Kinect done is age-old gimmicks unfortunately, harkening back to N64 and PS2 era.

#25 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9623 posts) -

Yeah, I turned all voice commands off for my PS4 camera. I don't like shouting out commands. I can do the same thing with the controller but with a tiny bit more effort.

#26 Edited by zombieweekend (38 posts) -

I haven't touch that museum piece you call a "controller" in two days. You can't understand it because you're stuck in a video game console mentality that has evolved little since 1977.

#27 Edited by voljin1987 (927 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

SW really needs to get the thread creation rule back

oh those good old days

#28 Posted by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

I spent $200 on a refurbished universal remote.

Kinect, able to act as a universal remote more than justifies its value.

#29 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5745 posts) -

@zombieweekend said:

I haven't touch that museum piece you call a "controller" in two days. You can't understand it because you're stuck in a video game console mentality that has evolved little since 1977.

What? Really? have fun not using a controller... why do you have a game console in the first place? Your post makes no sense! Motion controls do not replace controllers and never will!

#30 Posted by Mr_Ditters (1910 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

I just don't get it. What am I missing here? It just seems to me that the same people who are awed by Kinect are the same sort of people who purchased "The Clapper" back in the late 1980s. I've now watched countless demonstration videos of it on YouTube and I'm not impressed. It's not the future, and why any intelligent adult would want transform his/her living room into a cheap interpretation of a 1960s sci-fi movie (ooooh...voice commands...how kooky and futuristic!!) is beyond me.

Aren't gaming consoles supposed to focus primarily on gaming? I honestly don't understand the advantage of having a gaming device also serve as some kind of half-assed, all-in-one, voice-activated channel-surfing, Swiss army knife, jack-of-all-trades robo-tampon/behind-wiper as well. Perhaps those who believe that consoles should have such superfluous functionality should rethink why they want to game in the first place.

LMAO. Priceless.

#31 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@zombieweekend said:

I haven't touch that museum piece you call a "controller" in two days. You can't understand it because you're stuck in a video game console mentality that has evolved little since 1977.

oh look another desperate alt account from a random lem in this forum.

#32 Posted by handssss (1901 posts) -

No gamer worth their salt gives a shit about Kinect because the only practical things it can do for real gaming are voice controls and you'd have to be a total dumbass to think Kinect is required for that. (It's the Xbox that has all the information about the commands and you just use the microphones it has. Ps4 has voice controls with ANY headset and plenty of games in the past have let you use any headset).

What is unique with Kinect is motions which have been proven to be total garbage for navigating the UI AND playing serious games. They are good for dancing games and not much else. There's also the camera which is alright for some minor features like identifying users, but this hardly improves the experience any.

And on the subject of voice controls, while the Xbox One apparently can do an alright job of it IF the circumstances are perfect (you have a supported accent for a supported language in a room with no background noise) it's hardly faster if any faster at all than just using the controller.

#33 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Innovation bro

I couldn't reply sooner because of the posting limit, but could you (someone...hell, anyone) please tell me HOW Kinect is innovative? Again, this just seems like a rehash of cheesy, yesteryear, grade B, sci-fi crappola. This is not Knight Rider. Just because to can talk to the stupid thing and have it recognize your voice 65% of the time doesn't mean it'll help you solve crimes, get you laid,or become a big star on German television, like David Hasselhoff.

#34 Posted by Jamex1987 (2187 posts) -

You probably thought touch screen cell phones were dumb and blackberry would reign supreme.

#35 Posted by AdrianWerner (28228 posts) -

It's amazing invention for more casual games, party titles, dance/fitness games, kids edutainment etc.