Bungie to provide aid to Haiti

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

For every thousand players who play a game of Halo 3 or ODST next Wednesday or Thursday wearing a special emblem, they will donate $100 to the Red Cross. They are also giving all proceeds from their online store for the month of February to the Red Cross.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BeAHero

Good for them.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

nice gesture....we should all give if possible

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 asdasdrgr
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

For every thousand players who play a game of Halo 3 or ODST next Wednesday or Thursday wearing a special emblem, they will donate $100 to the Red Cross. They are also selling T-shirts whose proceeds go entirely to the Red Cross.

Good for them.

DarthBilf
Source?
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

Fair dues to Bungie. It's comforting to know they won't be getting any money as opposed to PopCap's offer, which I thought was A LITTLE shameful to be quite frank.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

thats very nice but it has nothing to do with SW

Its very nice of bungie

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#6 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

That's pretty nice of them. :) Now watch some cows burst in here and start flaming and saying they're doing it for publicity or something. :x

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthBilf
[QUOTE="DarthBilf"]

For every thousand players who play a game of Halo 3 or ODST next Wednesday or Thursday wearing a special emblem, they will donate $100 to the Red Cross. They are also selling T-shirts whose proceeds go entirely to the Red Cross.

Good for them.

asdasdrgr
Source?

It's on Bungie's website. The link function isn't cooperating with me right now.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

[QUOTE="DarthBilf"]

Good for them.

asdasdrgr

Source?

bungie.net

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

Source would be great.

That's very good of Bungie and it's to a great cause. Hopefully it'll make a real difference.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avian005

That's pretty nice of them. :) Now watch some cows burst in here and start flaming and saying they're doing it for publicity or something. :x

brickdoctor

Why, do people actually believe Bungie needs this? With their games selling in the millions.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avian005

Link = Be a Hero

AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

Source would be great.

That's very good of Bungie and it's to a great cause. Hopefully it'll make a real difference.

lundy86_4

Bungie.net Link wasn't working for the TC.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts

For every thousand players who play a game of Halo 3 or ODST next Wednesday or Thursday wearing a special emblem, they will donate $100 to the Red Cross. They are also selling giving all proceeds form their online store for the month of February to the Red Cross.

Good for them.

DarthBilf
That is pretty darn generous considering the amount of unique players halo 3 and ODST get per day and then double it since it is for two days. A big hat tip to Bungie since that is very kind.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rybe1025

brickdoctor
I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot.
sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

its good to see bungie doing this. i hope IW do something like this as well

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=6952 They've done something similar before. :)
Microdevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Microdevine
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts

Its really awesome to see such a nice gesture of them. Good for Bungie. Its a shame we haven't seen the gigantic publishers do something like this though. Activision, EA, Ubi, etc. (at least i havent heard anything. if they have, i apologize for my ignorance.)

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
Aah, now that's a good excuse to play some Halo. :P
bigpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigpython
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts
shame i don't have a 360:( i would contribute if i could. good for them, with halo selling millions, it could make a real difference.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

LINK. Bungie is doing a lot to help out. ^^ I plan on buying this shirt...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I haven't touched my Halo 3 in like half a year, but I'll hop on for an hour or so to contribute.

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 asdasdrgr
[QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

rybe1025
I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot.

Things like these have been done for publicity before. Not saying bungie is doing it for that.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

For those that don't have a 360, you can buy something from their online store. In addition to the t-shirts, they're donating 100% of their online store profits to the American Red Cross through February. Or you can donate to a charity of your choice. Bungie gives a link at the bottom of their article.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=24356

"We are rallying our fan community to show their support by playing Halo 3 or ODST online next Wednesday or Thursday while wearing a special emblem signifying your commitment to the cause. For every thousand heroes that participate, we will make a $100 donation on behalf of Bungie and our fan community to the Red Cross for Haiti relief efforts, up to a maximum of $77,000. All you have to do is don a special emblem and play a game online and know that you've done a small part to help those in need.

Please mark your calendars and help spread the word!

Here are the specifics:

1. Round up all of your friends and hop online with Halo 3 or ODST any time next from 00:01AM PST Wednesday, 1/20, through 23:59PM PST Thursday 1/21.

2. Edit your appearance settings so your character is wearing the RED HEART emblem.
a. Press START
b. Select "SETTINGS" / "APPEARANCE"
c. Select "EMBLEM"
d. Select "Hearts" ICON, "Circle" BACKGROUND
e. Back out to the APPEARANCES menu and select "COLORS"
f. Set "EMBLEM PRIMARY" to RED (or MAROON / BRICK / ROSE depending on which game you're playing!)
g. Set "EMBLEM SECONDARY" to WHITE

3. Once your emblem is set, play! This can be a custom game or a matchmaking game, just make sure it's played online, on Xbox LIVE, or we can't track it.

If you keep playing more games through midnight on Thursday, KEEP THE HEART EMBLEM ENABLED or you may not get counted."

CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CannedWorms

[QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

rybe1025

And you know this for a fact:roll: ? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="brickdoctor"]

CannedWorms

And you know this for a fact:roll: ? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.

agree I don't think many people remember popcap games as much. Bungie doesnt need publicity, gets enough from the Halo series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]

i dont see whats wrong with what popcap is doing
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

and in other news Activision is making Earthquake Hero

chikenfriedrice

lol, good one anyways old news ,but pop games had also decided all their proceeds from their site on 16/1 would be donated similarly : http://www.popcap.com/promos/haiti/?icid=haiti_HP_PLARGE_PC_01_15_09_EN

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rybe1025

CannedWorms

And you know this for a fact:roll:? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.

Great for popcap and I do not even have a tiny clue what they did. Bungie is also a tad bigger money wise then popcap. While you may think that someone just doing something out of kindness is pure naive I think anyone that just assumes they are doing something like what Bungie is doing is for some alternative reason is cynical at best. Halo 2 and 3 launches were almost as large as most console launches. When it comes to the gamer community I hate to break it to you but it is kind hard for them to become more well known.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="CannedWorms"][QUOTE="rybe1025"] I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot. rybe1025
And you know this for a fact:roll:? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.

Great for popcap and I do not even have a tiny clue what they did.

they are donating 100% of the profits made for a day

i cant see whats wrong with that

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]

[QUOTE="rybe1025"] I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot. gamer-adam1

agree I don't think many people remember popcap games as much. Bungie doesnt need publicity, gets enough from the Halo series.

ummm .. popcap games have been exteremely popular .. bejeweled sold 25 million + copies and peggle also had great sales , so I doubt they too need to do any special stunt
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rybe1025

[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"]And you know this for a fact:roll:? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.toast_burner

Great for popcap and I do not even have a tiny clue what they did.

they are donating 100% of the profits made for a day

i cant see whats wrong with that

I think that is awesome also. I disagree with what the other person saying then that Popcap was doing it just for publicity unless there is more but from what you said it just sounds like a nice act.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Good! Maybe now the U.S. can stop spending taxpayer money on these people. Let the private sector do it.

farrell2k
thats a really heartless thing to say.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CannedWorms

[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]

[QUOTE="rybe1025"] I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot. toast_burner

I think they can still make money from the sales. Also, not many people is going to buy the game on PopCap's website as it is 3x cheaper on Steam. People would be better off donating money to a charity as they are SURE they're money is DEFINATELY going to provide aid and not boost PopCap's image in the process. If they had cared about the Haiti then they would have donated the money from their Steam and iPhone games, their main source of income. Very cheap and dirty tactics.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

I own a 360 with Halo, how do I do my part? Just play? What are the special emblems their talking about?

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamer-adam1
[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"][QUOTE="rybe1025"] I know you are not saying it but anyone that says Bungie does this for publicity or anything like that is a full blown idiot.

Great for popcap and I do not even have a tiny clue what they did. Bungie is also a tad bigger money wise then popcap. While you may think that someone just doing something out of kindness is pure naive I think anyone that just assumes they are doing something like what Bungie is doing is for some alternative reason is cynical at best. Halo 2 and 3 launches were almost as large as most console launches. When it comes to the gamer community I hate to break it to you but it is kind hard for them to become more well known.

Bungie probably did it because, out of every gaming community Halo would rally up gamers for a cause. and people want to by bungie clothing, honestly no other game could have the same effect
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamer-adam1

I own a 360 with Halo, how do I do my part? Just play? What are the special emblems their talking about?

Eddie-Vedder
change you emblem to a heart than take a picture of it and label it Hero and bungie will go around looking at how many people do it. for every person they donate $100 up to $77,000
asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 asdasdrgr
[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"]And you know this for a fact:roll:? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.gamer-adam1

Bungie probably did it because, out of every gaming community Halo would rally up gamers for a cause. and people want to by bungie clothing, honestly no other game could have the same effect

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/01/horde-start-world-of-warcraft-charity.html

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="CannedWorms"]And you know this for a fact:roll: ? I'm not saying they are but to believe they are DEFINATELY doing this for the good of their heart is a tad naive. One of the main aims of a business to to provide a good image. It's great that they are not benefiting from this from a financial view, but I think PopCap's offer was DEFINATELY a publicity stunt.

CannedWorms

I think they can still make money from the sales. Also, not many people is going to buy the game on PopCap's website as it is 3x cheaper on Steam. People would be better off donating money to a charity as they are SURE they're money is DEFINATELY going to provide aid and not boost PopCap's image in the process. If they had cared about the Haiti then they would have donated the money from their Steam and iPhone games, their main source of income. Very cheap and dirty tactics.

they cant donate the money from the stream versions because steam gets some of that money as well.

On the popcap website they get all the money so they can give all the money away if they want

Even if it isall a publicity stunt, who cares? its going to a good cause

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

For every thousand players who play a game of Halo 3 or ODST next Wednesday or Thursday wearing a special emblem, they will donate $100 to the Red Cross. They are also giving all proceeds from their online store for the month of February to the Red Cross.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BeAHero

Good for them.

DarthBilf
Of course every help should be given and Bungie are to be commeded for it, but this isnt exactly a topic for System Wars is it.
DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarthBilf

Eddie-Vedder
Make your emblem a red heart with a white circle background. And just play.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Done! I'm gonna get so trash talked LOL

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarthBilf
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

gamer-adam1
change you emblem to a heart than take a picture of it and label it Hero and bungie will go around looking at how many people do it. for every person they donate $100 up to $77,000

The picture thing is for a chance to win a Be a Hero t-shirt. Money gets donated for just playing.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

its good to see bungie doing this. i hope IW do something like this as well

sikanderahmed

If they barely support the millions of people that paid them money for their game, I highly doubt they'll provide support poverty stricken people who just had their homes destroyed by a natural disaster.Bungie is composed of real people with souls unlike the money hunrgy androids at IW.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rybe1025
It is funny how cynical some are when they hear of others giving. I admit I did not know about what Popcap was doing till this thread but I tip my hat to them also. To the people that as soon as they hear of some giving act all they see is some selfish act behind it. To that I shake my head in disgust. Some are just to eager to hate.
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2084 Posts
It is funny how cynical some are when they hear of others giving. I admit I did not know about what Popcap was doing till this thread but I tip my hat to them also. To the people that as soon as they hear of some giving act all they see is some selfish act behind it. To that I shake my head in disgust. Some are just to eager to hate.rybe1025
I would also like to point out to the detractors that this is hardly a first for Bungie, fight the flood and numerous auctions through ebay where the proceeds went to charity. All I can say is well done Bungie and Popcap.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

i will be contributing a 100$ by playing halo? thats awesome!

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

Good! Maybe now the U.S. can stop spending taxpayer money on these people. Let the private sector do it.

farrell2k

thats a really heartless thing to say.

Why? I pay almost 50% in taxes. Is it so wrong to want to it be used in my own country for people who also need it? I'd rather it go to the thousands who are dying ever year here because they cannot afford health care.

This is true.People like to pretend that this country is an Elysium and everything is all unicorns and rainbows.Heck there are some parts of Chicago that look like London in WWII.How can we expect to help other nations if our country is just as bad in some places?