Bungie announces details about special editions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Ghost, Limited and Digital Guardian

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Do people really buy these limited editions to get a cheap Chinese plastic toy? I don't get it.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

You should make more threads, TC. Can't just loiter around System Wars the whole day.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's hard to get excited to buy a for plastic cube thing when no one completed the game, and potential buyers never got attached to any characters yet.

I'm a bit jaded though since I played the Alpha and came away unimpressed.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R3FURBISHED

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? I played it and loved the alpha.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy

@R3FURBISHED said:

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? I didn't say you didn't love it. I spoke of my time with the Alpha and that was I was a bit jaded because I came away unimpressed.

A lot of people seemed to like Destiny based on all the lobby requests/party invites I got while playing it, but not me. I didn't care for it one iota, but I know I'm against the grain on this one with the masses. It just failed to excite me with it's MMO feel and it's gameplay stylings of Halo meets Borderlands. The last gen graphics also weren't thrilling but expected since it's a PS360 game ported up.

I'm okay with the fact many people will love it. No one in my crew cared either, but strangely we were more excited before we turned it on to play with each other. None of us liked it much though, but we wanted too. It's okay, it's not bad, but didn't fire us up aka didn't impress. Different Strokes, etc.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@SolidTy said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? A lot of people seemed to like it based on all the lobby requests I got, but not me. I didn't care for it one iota, but I know I'm against the grain on this one with the masses.

I'm okay with that. No one in my crew cared either, but strangely we were more excited before we turned it on to play with each other. None of us liked it much though, but we wanted too. It's okay, it's not bad, but didn't fire us up aka didn't impress. Different Strokes, etc.

I was sold after the first public event I randomly found myself in. Me and three other random people who were doing our own things and then boom we're all playing towards one goal.

Walking into a high ranking enemy randomly as well was very cool, just the idea that Bungie builds their worlds to accommodate for all players.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

150 is a lot, but I love the Ghost edition. Crazy that it's sold out for PS4 already. If I'm going for one of the editions, I'm going all out with the Ghost.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@edwardecl said:

Do people really buy these limited editions to get a cheap Chinese plastic toy? I don't get it.

i only buy them when there is a statue, otherwise no

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

I'm surprise your last topic was lock-down The_Last_Ride. That was the first time I seen your topic got taken down.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Waste of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Well I pre ordered the Ghost Edition today for PS4. I passed on the Titanfall special edition and regretted it. So I'm all in on Destiny.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

No thanks. It's an MMO focus game. Not my cup of tea.

They did mentioned the SP campaign, but the experience is more likely the boring "lone wolf" feel I got from Borderlands 1......you just need that extra player(s) to hold your hand to make it fun.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R3FURBISHED

@M8ingSeezun said:

They did mentioned the SP campaign, but the experience is more likely the boring "lone wolf" feel I got from Borderlands 1......you just need that extra player(s) to hold your hand to make it fun.

Destiny is built around being played in a "Fireteam" of three players. Destiny also isn't an MMO, its a game that takes place in an online space in a persistent world.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@M8ingSeezun said:

Destiny is built around being played in a "Fireteam" of three players. Destiny also isn't an MMO, its a game that takes place in an online space in a persistent world.

I stand corrected on the MMO part. They also said as you progress further into other levels, that "fire team", although not required, are essential in completing certain tasks.

Still not my cup of tea.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

People will buy anything.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy

@M8ingSeezun said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@M8ingSeezun said:

I stand corrected on the MMO part. They also said as you progress further into other levels, that "fire team", although not required, are essential in completing certain tasks.

Still not my cup of tea.

Well, he's quoting Bungie PR (he goes to their website a lot and posts) because Activision and Bungie PR and Marketing are avoiding using the phrase MMO (MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE) even though technically the game is an MMO, but it's certainly not a traditional MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer and it's online. It's an MMO. If I was unsure at first, my time with the Alpha confirmed it.

However, after playing it firsthand, I can tell you it's an MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer Online, it meets the requirements but there is a reason Bungie and Activision are skirting that issue. It has to do with Marketing. A few years from now this won't be a controversy and we'll all call it an MMO, but right now PR and fans are having trouble defining the game. I've seen this kind of thing before over the last few decades, but no amount of PR will work over the long haul. It's a deliberate marketing move to help market the title...

Remember, Activision has over half a BILLION $$$ invested in this game and series so every little thing is vital to them, which includes avoiding MMO stereotypes. If people buy into marketing that Activision decide on, then that's on them. Think of it this way, big huge FPS games sell like gangbusters every year. COD, Farcry, Battlefield, Borderlands, Halo, etc . That's the kind of sales that Bungie and Activision NEED. They can't go pussyfootin' around with letting people/potential customers define the this new IP game as a mere MMO. It's too risky, they want the COD bros to buy, the Bungie die hards to buy, the Borderlands fans to buy, and the MMO fans to buy. Here's more on the subject and kind of a glimpse on how marketing works:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technology/why-activision-and-bungie-arent-calling-destiny-an-mmo.html/?a=viewall

Why Activision and Bungie Aren’t Calling ‘Destiny’ an MMO

Activision and Bungie haven’t referred toDestiny as an MMO despite its online characteristics, which heavily resemble games in the MMO genre. Company pages and press releases use words like “persistent online world” with “cooperative, competitive, and public gameplay” to skirt around the subject. Marketing insists on labeling it a first-person shooter (FPS) before even touching on the fact that it’s a massively multiplayer online game. So, why would Activision want to avoid the calling it as such?

MMO carries a stereotype — one that Activision would rather avoid. When consumers hear a game falls under the MMO genre, visions of World of Warcraft raids and YouTube videos of Leroy Jenkins suddenly flood in, and it’s not an attractive image. It’s a genre that would instantaneously alienate consumers with word association. First-person shooter — now that’s sexy. Call of Duty and Halo blockbusters are titles that a lot of people buy, and that’s what Activision’s marketing team is aiming for.

But even with words like FPS and names like Bungie (creators of Halo) backing Destiny, it has still received lukewarm reception. At E3, Sony announced PlayStation 4 owners would receive exclusive access to Destiny’s Alpha, and its been the best decision Activision has made. Across the Internet, game critics and consumers have opinions about Destiny – no longer muddled expressions when discussing it. Conversation — good or bad — is what the game has needed, and is finally getting.

---

I'll say this as well. After playing it, the graphics were far from impressive. There were VERY last generation. I would be more interested in a PS4/Xbone sequel...which will probably be Destiny 3. However, if it's running on the same last gen physics/graphics engine, maybe it won't matter.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@SolidTy said:

@M8ingSeezun said:

Still not my cup of tea.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technology/why-activision-and-bungie-arent-calling-destiny-an-mmo.html/?a=viewall

Much in the same way Bungie isn't labeling Destiny open-world even though the worlds are open for exploration, it isn't your typical open world design and Bungie doesn't want the connotation "open world" brings.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? I didn't say you didn't love it. I spoke of my time with the Alpha and that was I was a bit jaded because I came away unimpressed.

A lot of people seemed to like Destiny based on all the lobby requests/party invites I got while playing it, but not me. I didn't care for it one iota, but I know I'm against the grain on this one with the masses. It just failed to excite me with it's MMO feel and it's gameplay stylings of Halo meets Borderlands. The last gen graphics also weren't thrilling but expected since it's a PS360 game ported up.

I'm okay with the fact many people will love it. No one in my crew cared either, but strangely we were more excited before we turned it on to play with each other. None of us liked it much though, but we wanted too. It's okay, it's not bad, but didn't fire us up aka didn't impress. Different Strokes, etc.

I felt the exact same way bro. Although, I can tell it will most likely be a good game. As much as this game is hyped; It just didn't have that "wow" factor for me. It felt like something was missing from it.., it just wasn't "exciting" for some reason; and that's weird because I've played plenty of FPS that consist of the same rehashed elements & flow that I still enjoyed. I give it the benefit of the doubt because it was an Alpha.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

@remiks00 said:

@SolidTy said:

I felt the exact same way bro. Although, I can tell it will most likely be a good game. As much as this game is hyped; It just didn't have that "wow" factor for me. It felt like something was missing from it.., it just wasn't "exciting" for some reason; and that's weird because I've played plenty of FPS that consist of the same rehashed elements & flow that I still enjoyed. I give it the benefit of the doubt because it was an Alpha.

Exactly! I mean, it seems competent and decent enough, but it just didn't tickle my fancy like I thought it would. I've played other FPS that were essentially rehashed bits and bobs, but It worked out fine for me.

I also agree, it was an Alpha so we'll see how I feel during the Beta, but right now I'm just not impressed. I wanted to be, but it didn't happen. I cut them slack though, they get a round two to impress me.

I'm so pleased someone gets it. :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy
@R3FURBISHED said:

@SolidTy said:

@M8ingSeezun said:

Still not my cup of tea.

Well, he's quoting Bungie PR (he goes to their website a lot and posts) because Activision and Bungie PR and Marketing are avoiding using the phrase MMO (MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE) even though technically the game is an MMO, but it's certainly not a traditional MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer and it's online. It's an MMO. If I was unsure at first, my time with the Alpha confirmed it.

However, after playing it firsthand, I can tell you it's an MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer Online, it meets the requirements but there is a reason Bungie and Activision are skirting that issue. It has to do with Marketing. A few years from now this won't be a controversy and we'll all call it an MMO, but right now PR and fans are having trouble defining the game. I've seen this kind of thing before over the last few decades, but no amount of PR will work over the long haul. It's a deliberate marketing move to help market the title...

Remember, Activision has over half a BILLION $$$ invested in this game and series so every little thing is vital to them, which includes avoiding MMO stereotypes. If people buy into marketing that Activision decide on, then that's on them. Think of it this way, big huge FPS games sell like gangbusters every year. COD, Farcry, Battlefield, Borderlands, Halo, etc . That's the kind of sales that Bungie and Activision NEED. They can't go pussyfootin' around with letting people/potential customers define the this new IP game as a mere MMO. It's too risky, they want the COD bros to buy, the Bungie die hards to buy, the Borderlands fans to buy, and the MMO fans to buy. Here's more on the subject and kind of a glimpse on how marketing works:

Activision and Bungie haven’t referred toDestiny as an MMO despite its online characteristics, which heavily resemble games in the MMO genre. Company pages and press releases use words like “persistent online world” with “cooperative, competitive, and public gameplay” to skirt around the subject. Marketing insists on labeling it a first-person shooter (FPS) before even touching on the fact that it’s a massively multiplayer online game. So, why would Activision want to avoid the calling it as such?

MMO carries a stereotype — one that Activision would rather avoid. When consumers hear a game falls under the MMO genre, visions of World of Warcraft raids and YouTube videos of Leroy Jenkins suddenly flood in, and it’s not an attractive image. It’s a genre that would instantaneously alienate consumers with word association. First-person shooter — now that’s sexy. Call of Duty and Halo blockbusters are titles that a lot of people buy, and that’s what Activision’s marketing team is aiming for.

But even with words like FPS and names like Bungie (creators of Halo) backing Destiny, it has still received lukewarm reception. At E3, Sony announced PlayStation 4 owners would receive exclusive access to Destiny’s Alpha, and its been the best decision Activision has made. Across the Internet, game critics and consumers have opinions about Destiny – no longer muddled expressions when discussing it. Conversation — good or bad — is what the game has needed, and is finally getting.

---

I'll say this as well. After playing it, the graphics were far from impressive. There were VERY last generation. I would be more interested in a PS4/Xbone sequel...which will probably be Destiny 3. However, if it's running on the same last gen physics/graphics engine, maybe it won't matter.

Much in the same way Bungie isn't labeling Destiny open-world even though the worlds are open for exploration, it isn't your typical open world design and Bungie doesn't want the connotation "open world" brings.

The PR masters and marketeers from Activision have a job to do, I don't blame them for scrutinizing ever aspect of this game to maximize sell-ability of their product. With $500+ million invested and a decade contract, it's vital to shape, spin, direct, and control how we perceive their product as much as possible.

Once the game is in the wild though, it will be labeled accordingly by the critics and game fans that play it. By then, it won't matter what PR says because the next game will be all the rage and the new spin for that product will be under way.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@edwardecl said:

The consoles themselves could be termed expensive Chinese toys, LOL

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cainetao11

@SolidTy said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? I love lamp

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidTy

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidTy said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@SolidTy said:

Oh yeah? I love lamp

Oh yeah? I love carpet.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

I'm surprise your last topic was lock-down The_Last_Ride. That was the first time I seen your topic got taken down.

Well some people probably flagged it

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cainetao11

@SolidTy:

LOL awesome. Are you getting notifications?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

lmao expansion packs , same cost as having to pay a subscription...only this isn't a real mmo

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

lmao expansion packs , same cost as having to pay a subscription...only this isn't a real mmo

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

Oh yeah.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No thanks, already bought digital.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

MMO carries a stereotype — one that Activision would rather avoid. When consumers hear a game falls under the MMO genre, visions of World of Warcraft raids and YouTube videos of Leroy Jenkins suddenly flood in, and it’s not an attractive image. It’s a genre that would instantaneously alienate consumers with word association. First-person shooter — now that’s sexy. Call of Duty and Halo blockbusters are titles that a lot of people buy, and that’s what Activision’s marketing team is aiming for

Well, that's kinda funny because its exactly what i've been saying since e3 2013 and peeps on SW and mostly pc/tech forum section were telling me its not an mmo. Its an mmo but no one likes mmo's (bro gamers playing CoD certainly don't and those are easy to milk, Activision wants them in their game) or at least most gamers don't.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts
@R3FURBISHED said:

You should make more threads, TC. Can't just loiter around System Wars the whole day.

Back off. At least he brings new content to the board to discuss outside X1 and PS4 fan boys arguing about 26fps and resolution.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@gamersjustgame said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

Back off. At least he brings new content to the board to discuss outside X1 and PS4 fan boys arguing about 26fps and resolution.

Not to be "that" guy. But, he is just reposting articles of gamespot/ign. And system wars is about consolites arguing on which antique hardware is better. (Sorry, I had to.)

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Why would I want all that junk when I don't even know if I'll even like the game yet?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Man, when did Bungie turn into Ubisoft? There are like 5 different editions of this game already announced with all sorts of shitty dlc.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Man, when did Bungie turn into Ubisoft? There are like 5 different editions of this game already announced with all sorts of shitty dlc.

Since they became activision bitches like Bioware became EA's bish.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@silversix_ said:

MMO carries a stereotype — one that Activision would rather avoid. When consumers hear a game falls under the MMO genre, visions of World of Warcraft raids and YouTube videos of Leroy Jenkins suddenly flood in, and it’s not an attractive image. It’s a genre that would instantaneously alienate consumers with word association. First-person shooter — now that’s sexy. Call of Duty and Halo blockbusters are titles that a lot of people buy, and that’s what Activision’s marketing team is aiming for

Well, that's kinda funny because its exactly what i've been saying since e3 2013 and peeps on SW and mostly pc/tech forum section were telling me its not an mmo. Its an mmo but no one likes mmo's (bro gamers playing CoD certainly don't and those are easy to milk, Activision wants them in their game) or at least most gamers don't.

Too few players and too small zones to be anything like a real MMO.

Its borderlands at most.

But you have to buy expansion packs every few months.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidTy:

LOL awesome. Are you getting notifications?

Nope, lol. Just kinda remember threads I posted in, lol.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride

@GoldenElementXLdo you think it'll be worth it?

@SolidTy: i got them back now, what the hell is going on? Are they back for good?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidTy

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SolidTy: i got them back now, what the hell is going on? Are they back for good?

I got some back, but not all. Who can say at this point, lol.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Last_Ride

@SolidTy said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I got some back, but not all. Who can say at this point, lol.

Glitchspot is glitchy