Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#101 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13076 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Let's hope the next CEO is like Shawn Layden. GaaS games suck.

you mean this Shawn Layden?.. Former PlayStation Boss Says AAA Game Development Is Unsustainable

He was right. First party games from Sony rely on revenue from a third party game, Call of Duty.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20159 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

you mean this Shawn Layden?.. Former PlayStation Boss Says AAA Game Development Is Unsustainable

He was right. First party games from Sony rely on revenue from a third party game, Call of Duty.

Agreed. AAA development budgets are massive and that is one of the reasons why these companies raised their game and subscription prices and have disgusting microtransactions. Also why games are taking 4-6 years to make instead of two or three.

He also didn't like GaaS games because they suck and isn't a fan of consolidation in the gaming industry.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#103 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70120 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@Pedro said:

Sony is leaving console gaming.😎

I wouldn't be surprised. No games for the past 12 months, and the leader has taken off like a bat out of hell.

Prepare for a mobile-focused Sony.🙃

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 951 Posts
@pclover1980 said:

F for Jimbo. FWIW, Cows might now celebrate cos the next big wig might not bring their exclusives to PC anymore.

Not really cos the PC releases still make Sony money.

Not really. Horizon, Spider-man and GoW were successes on PC. The rest... not so much

Returnal Is Sony's Second Most Unpopular PC Game at Launch | Push Square

Ratchet & Clank PC port sold even worse than The Last Of Us Part 1 | Metro News

PlayStation Exclusive Sackboy is Flopping on PC (gamerant.com)

I think if this keeps on going, Sony might start carefuly selecting which games to release on PC instead of releasing almost every single 1st party game like they've been under Jim's control

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12065 Posts

PlayStation is doing so well the head of it is getting the boot.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Pedro

@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

F for Jimbo. FWIW, Cows might now celebrate cos the next big wig might not bring their exclusives to PC anymore.

Not really. Horizon, Spider-man and GoW were successes on PC. The rest... not so much

I think if this keeps on going, Sony might start carefuly selecting which games to release on PC instead of releasing almost every single 1st party game like they've been under Jim's control

Sony is putting games on PC because it makes money. Not a hard concept to grasp.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By VatususReturns
@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

Sony is putting games on PC because it makes money. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Sony was putting most of their 1st party games on PC because they thought they would make easy money with all them after their initial success stories. As I pointed out above, later releases didnt make them as much money as they hoped, if any, so they might become more careful and selective in the future.

Not a hard concept to grasp

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Zero_epyon

@kuu2 said:

Yeah because when you fire someone you keep them around for six months after you tell them to leave.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8290 Posts
@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

actually, Sony should start releasing their games on PC day-and-date in order to maximize the earning potential..

I've said it before, not every game is going to be a generational banger like God of War, a beloved IP like Spiderman, or a surprise hit like Horizon.. some games are just decent games.. and by releasing those "decent" games years after their launch window (way after all the marketing hype and FOMO have died down), many people have just moved on.. including PC gamers..

i personally think Day One on PC is inevitable for PlayStation.. they've been slow walking the console fandom in that direction and eventually they'll pull the trigger in order to stop leaving money on the table..

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7001 Posts

Thought he sucked but it could get worse.

Bringing first party exclusive to PC and the focus on live service games are where he screwed up the most.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39549 Posts

@kuu2 said:

If you want to know what FIRED means, look no further than what has happened to Bonnie Ross😆She even made a story about her wanting to spend more time with family, even tho she was booted during the biggest clusterfuck 343i has ever seen.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6958 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@kuu2 said:

Yeah because when you fire someone you keep them around for six months after you tell them to leave.

Happens often in senior management, only it is a forced retirement not a firing.

It is obvious in this case as he is being replaced in his role immediately, which means he has no role from Oct to next spring. This in turn means they graciously are allowing him to reach his 30 yrs anniversary with the company on paper and he is going to collect his pay check till then and pension immediately after.

It's the polite way of getting rid of a long term executive.

If it was a normal retirement they would announce it in-advance because of his executive level, but an 'interim' successor wouldn't immediately takeover the role....leaving Jim with no actual job for the next 6 months.

Moreover, milestones are in fact important as you approach retirement (I am retired) and I find it very difficult to believe his excuse of travel. Sure that is legitimate in one sense, but also 29 1/2 yrs in you give up your job and let someone else do it for 6 months while you twaddle your thumbs? I don't think so. You tough it out for 6 more months and then retire on your terms.

They said it is time to go. He wanted to make it to 30 yrs of service. This is the compromise solution.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By VatususReturns
@Antwan3K said:
@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

actually, Sony should start releasing their games on PC day-and-date in order to maximize the earning potential..

I've said it before, not every game is going to be a generational banger like God of War, a beloved IP like Spiderman, or a surprise hit like Horizon.. some games are just decent games.. and by releasing those "decent" games years after their launch window (way after all the marketing hype and FOMO have died down), many people have just moved on.. including PC gamers..

i personally think Day One on PC is inevitable for PlayStation.. they've been slow walking the console fandom in that direction and eventually they'll pull the trigger in order to stop leaving money on the table..

If they actually want to sell consoles that would be a terrible decision. I mean, look at Xbox. It sells the worst they've ever sold ever since they started releasing their games on PC day one. Most people just go full PC (me included) if something like that ever happens. Whats the point of buying a console if I can get the same games on PC day one without all the hassles consoles bring like paid online, paid cloud saving, "expensier" games with worst performance for the most part

If that was true, then Nintendo would go PC aswell but they know they need the exclusives to sell consoles. I mean, why would Phil take Starfield and TES VI away for PS consoles and say no to maximum profit? They know they need exclusives. Simple

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Pedro

@vatususreturns said:

Sony was putting most of their 1st party games on PC because they thought they would make easy money with all them after their initial success stories. As I pointed out above, later releases didnt make them as much money as they hoped, if any, so they might become more careful and selective in the future.

"Sony is putting games on PC because it makes money. Not a hard concept to grasp."

But I was wrong. It is a hard concept for you.😂

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 VatususReturns

@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:

"Sony is putting games on PC because it makes money. Not a hard concept to grasp."

And I was right, Your IQ really is in the single digits XD

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22859 Posts

Jim will be heading up Zynga soon.

Where does Playstation gaming go from here?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 hardwenzen

marleyduv the chatgpt prototype is back

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#120 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59232 Posts

He looks like Palpatine when he's mid-away through getting his face electrocuted.

Phil looks like a man who could **** your wife and you'd thank him for blessing your house-hold.

It makes sense he should go away.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6522 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@last_lap said:

Yeah, most people would never of heard of him, since when do Nintendo's head honcho's ever do interviews, tweet or make public comments? like never.

I don't think I can name more than that Reggie guy, they just seem to be quite in the background.

I can name 4. Saturo Iwata, Shuntaro Fukukawa, Reggie and Doug Bowser.

Well I'd expect nothing less from a sheep. But you never hear from them, must be a cushy job when you don't deal with the media and just sit in your office.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3469 Posts

Cmon, Bowser as head of Nintendo?! Every gamer should know that!

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2146 Posts

Good. Not keep Sony games off PC.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2957 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@ghostofgolden: the ps5 is hot garbage. I also don't understand what people even play on it. It's literally selling off hype, nothing more. The Xbox is vastly superior in all aspects as a gaming device and MS has slammed it out of the park this gen. Maybe gamers haven't realized but at some point they will.

I've owned a ps3 and a ps4 and a vita, but ps5 is hot trash. I'm not sure I'll buy a ps5 this gen, not unless spiderman 2 and wolverine pulls off a miracle.

I am skipping PlayStation this gen. Gamepass is where it's at. The few PS5 exclusives I want to play will likely be available on PS6 as well. I also skipped PS3 but played Heavy Rain, The Last of Us and more on PS4.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Pedro
@vatususreturns said:
@Pedro said:

That is exactly what someone with low IQ would say.😂

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Zero_epyon

@SUD123456: he’s not being replaced immediately. There will be someone to act as interim CEO until a replacement is found and that doesn’t happen until April 2024. This was in Sony’s statement.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By VatususReturns

@Pedro said:
@vatususreturns said:
@Pedro said:

That is exactly what someone with low IQ would say.😂

Idem ibidem

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6958 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

@SUD123456: he’s not being replaced immediately. There will be someone to act as interim CEO until a replacement is found and that doesn’t happen until April 2024. This was in Sony’s statement.

I am well aware of what was announced.

A replacement has been named that will literally be doing his job in a few days time.

The title of Interim is irrelevant and what they do later is irrelevant. Jim has no job in a few days. Ergo, he is being replaced immediately. He will sit around and twaddle his thumbs at home for 6 months until he officially retires. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Wake up. Your attempt at semantics is a distinction without a difference.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Zero_epyon
@SUD123456 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

A replacement has been named that will literally be doing his job in a few days time.

The title of Interim is irrelevant and what they do later is irrelevant. Jim has no job in a few days. Ergo, he is being replaced immediately. He will sit around and twaddle his thumbs at home for 6 months until he officially retires. That should tell you everything you need to know.

You're making things up.

https://www.truetrophies.com/n24284/playstation-ceo-jim-ryan-retiring

COO and CFO of Sony, Hiroki Totoki, will become the chairman of SIE from now until Ryan's retirement, before becoming interim CEO of SIE amongst all of his other tasks. It is important to note that the SIE division of Sony (see: the PlayStation brand) accounted for over 30% share of Sony's sales in 2022 making it by far its biggest division. That requires a specialized CEO and President role, and — while Mr. Totoki can take on that responsibility for a time alongside his responsibilities in other divisions — he will have to be helped along the way by PlayStation stalwarts.

"Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role," the official statement concludes.

Totoki will not be the CEO until Jim Ryan leaves the company next year April. He will then be the interim CEO with the task of finding a new CEO for Playstion. He is not Ryan's replacement as he is their COO and CFO and it isn't realistic for him to alsom be CEO of SIE.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts
@qui-gon-milk said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

He couldn't handle the SW pressure anymore, I understand.

We are assholes.

For the last few state of plays, i've been reading the comments on their blog post, and shieeeeeet! Sony fans in there are not happy at all. Everyone bitchin' about the fact that half of this gen has almost went by, and we didn't get anything, nor is anything being even announced. Kinda surprised me that nobody was fanboyin', and instead, everyone in the comments section was raging at sony lol.

And yet here on SW you have diehard fans like @SolidGame_basic & @daredevils2k that wouldn't dare bitch or complain about Sony...they'll release a bag of feces exclusively for the PS5 and Solid will be like "WoWzA!" while Daredevil will create some dog water IQ thread that gets locked by Dav within a few hours 😂

lol not true. I believe that sony's streaming handheld device is a stupid idea. but besides that , Sony makes the best hamburgers.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1349 Posts

poor jim,took on the might of xbox and lost,i'm sure someone,somewhere is looking for a toilet cleaner?,Jim's your man,he's a shithouse 👍

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Following SONY's proven live, love and learn philosophy, we wish him well on his future endeavors.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts

Well, cows really hated him because it was under his watch their beloved excloosives went to PC. So anyone saying that cows are just DC'ing doesn't have a clue.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:
@SUD123456 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

You're making things up.

COO and CFO of Sony, Hiroki Totoki, will become the chairman of SIE from now until Ryan's retirement, before becoming interim CEO of SIE amongst all of his other tasks. It is important to note that the SIE division of Sony (see: the PlayStation brand) accounted for over 30% share of Sony's sales in 2022 making it by far its biggest division. That requires a specialized CEO and President role, and — while Mr. Totoki can take on that responsibility for a time alongside his responsibilities in other divisions — he will have to be helped along the way by PlayStation stalwarts.

"Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role," the official statement concludes.

Totoki will not be the CEO until Jim Ryan leaves the company next year April. He will then be the interim CEO with the task of finding a new CEO for Playstion. He is not Ryan's replacement as he is their COO and CFO and it isn't realistic for him to alsom be CEO of SIE.

You literally just proved his point. He's being replaced immediately. Compare that to when Andrew House announced his retirement. He kept the job until he can handover the tasks:

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced president and CEO Andrew House will be stepping down after helming the arm since 2011, with deputy president John Kodera taking his place. House, who is 52, will remain as chairman until the end of the year.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Zero_epyon
@pc_rocks said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@SUD123456 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

You're making things up.

You literally just proved his point. He's being replaced immediately. Compare that to when Andrew House announced his retirement. He kept the job until he can handover the tasks:

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced president and CEO Andrew House will be stepping down after helming the arm since 2011, with deputy president John Kodera taking his place. House, who is 52, will remain as chairman until the end of the year.

A few points.

• Andrew House did not announce that he'd retire.
  • Andrew House handed his tasks over to John Kodera just like after April 2024, Ryan will hand his tasks to Totoki.
  • Jim Ryan is stillCEO of Playstation.
  • He has not been replaced by an interim or permanent CEO and, again, won't be until 2024.

What you're confusing is that Totoki will be the Chairman of PlayStation but not its CEO. Looks like Playstation doesn't have a deputy CEO like House did which would explain the difference.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11806 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

Yeah the games Vatususreturns listed too weren't exactly must have system sellers on the PS5 either (Sackboy and Returnal) or they were atrocious PC ports (TLOU). Not to mention PC gamers refuse to pay $60-$70 full price for games that were already out for more than a year and could be bought at cheaper base prices on Playstation 4 & 5.

Sony is gonna have to do day-and-date or at the very least release a PC version 6 months to a year later. 2+ years is too long a wait if they expect to sell millions of copies at full price or close to full price. Especially since their games lack replay-ability and good fun expansive hours of content outside of main campaigns or campaigns that are 10 hours long.

Also Sony aren't giving PC gamers everything. They're only giving late gen PS4 and current gen PS5 titles. Jim Ryan himself said that he wouldn't have them port games such as the Uncharted Trilogy collection to PC because he thinks PC gamers only want games with the latest graphics. I think its also because some of the games were designed to run on the PS3 which was a pain in the ass to get working on the PS4 alone so they don't want to bother with PC. Plus it seems clear they won't port all or even most of the PS4 games over because if they can't sell them as remasters to PS5 gamers due to compatibility patch upgrades it will also feel like wasted resources.

Sony better wise up fast because game budgets are getting bigger and their major titles such as Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2 are barely breaking even despite selling millions of copies already on PS4 and PS5 combined. Demon's Souls Remake would easily sell millions on PC yet Sony are still sitting on their hands with that. It's about to be 3 years since that game came out for PS5! Yet they give us garbage like Sackboy much sooner.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#139 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8887 Posts

So, reports are coming in on how Sony is trying to go full-on live service for all of their games, and it's causing a lot of problems.

Perhaps that is why Ryan stepped down when he did - go out before the sh*t storm hits?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#140 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@dabear said:

So, reports are coming in on how Sony is trying to go full-on live service for all of their games, and it's causing a lot of problems.

Perhaps that is why Ryan stepped down when he did - go out before the sh*t storm hits?

How? The majority of Sony 1st party are single player, how do you make a single player live service??

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 dabear

@nepu7supastar7: Did... you click on the links?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#142 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@dabear said:

Yeah and they are mostly "leaks". Even if Sony does go the route of live service: they make more than enough single player to balance it out. It's always been their bread and butter and they know it. I see this shift (or possible shift) as a way to test the waters to see what sticks. Unfortunately for them, live services have been getting a ton of heat lately so I don't see that lasting long.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#143 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41568 Posts

@Antwan3K: And render selling PlayStations useless? FFS, Sony isn't MS. PC gaming is MS old playground (even greasy Phil pointed that out). Sony barely, if ever had any footing on PC gaming. And ports like Last of Us show it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#144 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12348 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:
@dabear said:

How? The majority of Sony 1st party are single player, how do you make a single player live service??

The exact quote is:

You can assume that a significant portion of our existing AAA IP will find its way into a live service game.

All that means is they are looking to make live service games using lets say the Horizon IP. It doesn't mean Horizon 3 is a live service game.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 dabear

@nepu7supastar7 said:
@dabear said:

Yeah and they are mostly "leaks". Even if Sony does go the route of live service: they make more than enough single player to balance it out. It's always been their bread and butter and they know it. I see this shift (or possible shift) as a way to test the waters to see what sticks. Unfortunately for them, live services have been getting a ton of heat lately so I don't see that lasting long.

They may be tagged as leaks, but they are having layoffs because their live service games are not coming along like they are supposed to be.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 dabear

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:
@dabear said:

The exact quote is:

You can assume that a significant portion of our existing AAA IP will find its way into a live service game.

All that means is they are looking to make live service games using lets say the Horizon IP. It doesn't mean Horizon 3 is a live service game.

That's a nice interpretation, but I think a bit wishful on your part.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#147 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12348 Posts
@dabear said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:
@dabear said:

The exact quote is:

That's a nice interpretation, but I think a bit wishful on your part.

You're welcome to read through the entire interview yourself.

Jim Ryan makes it incredibly clear that their single player games aren't going anywhere.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 hardwenzen

Please join Microsoft. I won't let you lems live your lives if he does.😁

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8290 Posts
@vatususreturns said:
@Antwan3K said:
@vatususreturns said:
@pclover1980 said:

If they actually want to sell consoles that would be a terrible decision. I mean, look at Xbox. It sells the worst they've ever sold ever since they started releasing their games on PC day one. Most people just go full PC (me included) if something like that ever happens. Whats the point of buying a console if I can get the same games on PC day one without all the hassles consoles bring like paid online, paid cloud saving, "expensier" games with worst performance for the most part

If that was true, then Nintendo would go PC aswell but they know they need the exclusives to sell consoles. I mean, why would Phil take Starfield and TES VI away for PS consoles and say no to maximum profit? They know they need exclusives. Simple

According to you, Xbox consoles are selling worse than ever before (not true btw) yet the Xbox division is currently generating more revenue than ever before (fact).. thanks for proving my point.. 👍 "selling consoles" isn't the ultimate goal; it's selling software and services to as many gamers as possible..

PC gamers already know that all PlayStation games are "timed exclusives" at this point.. PC guys are likely already bypassing the purchase of a PS5 regardless in favor of getting the superior version of those games on PC down the line .. the only question is what longevity do those PlayStation games have for the PC market after the initial launch hype.. God of War obviously can be sold years after the console release to great success.. Ratchet & Clank, not so much.. games like that would have been better received on PC on Day One during the launch hype window...

console and PC are separate markets.. and Sony is currently leaving alot of money on the table in the PC market.. i doubt they will continue that dynamic just so console fanboys can keep their warm fuzzies over timed exclusives ..

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

And Xbox relies on revenue from Microsoft to keep the doors open.