Breaking: both engines, CryEngine3 and UE4 adopt sub model

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

Source

Awesome news for indie developers. Both CryEngine 3 and UnrealEngine 4 will be available through a subscription model.

This is superb news, first of all, for us, PC Gamers. We will have more good-looking games as never before.

Now most of indies will stop using those awful 16 bit engines, lol. Now we will have both good gameplay AND visuals.

For $10 USD a month, subscribers can access all of CryEngine's development tools, including the geometry cache and image based lighting features shown off at this week'sGDC. Crytek also said the program will be royalty-free.

Epic's "crown jewel," Unreal Engine 4, will become available to anyone in the general public for $19 per month, Epic founder Tim Sweeney announced.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (58300 posts) -

You forgot about Unity 5 :)

#3 Posted by topgunmv (10249 posts) -

I'd take hotline miami's visuals over a game like dead nation's any day.

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

i'm so impressed with the quality, pricing, and availability of middlewares.

#5 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

monthly sub fees are a great idea for the engines. It's what companies like Adobe do these days for premiere and photoshop and it's proven to be quite successful

#6 Posted by edinsftw (4238 posts) -

Yea, its awsome to have options. I personally am going to stick with unity because im mid development and because you generally have to make more of your own tools for the other ones. Plus c# is quite nice imo. My hope is that they just make unity cheaper :P.

#7 Posted by Basinboy (11248 posts) -

Access to quality development tools is a good thing, but it by no means ensures good games. That solely depends on developers realizing their vision.

#8 Edited by GhoX (5027 posts) -

This is great. Those engines used to be quite an investment for small studios.

#9 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Good news. Next gen engines available to the public would mean more games looking great.

#10 Edited by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

I'm guessing this is to try and compete with Unity 3D, which has become a indie favorite. Though it is not only because of price, but because of performance and ease of use.

#11 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

@trasherhead said:

I'm guessing this is to try and compete with Unity 3D, which has become a indie favorite. Though it is not only because of price, but because of performance and ease of use.

What? Unity has crap performance.