Blizzard--- BEST DEVELOPER EVER???

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Before you start flaming and saying "NO, ST*U it is nintendo/Square/other", READ THE POST

Last night I was wondering which is the best developing company ever. Into my mind came first Nintendo, and Capcom. Both companies have gone into almost every game genre and with success. I was going to give my vote to Nintendo. It seems the most logical thing. Their mascots (Mario, Kirby, Samus, Link) are loved by anyone who deserves to call himself a gamer, their franchises are gold, and except for MMORPG and horror games, they have dipped their hands into every genre. And in EACH GENRE THEY HAVE AT LEAST ONE GAME WHICH IS LEGENDARY.

Now, a thing came into my head.

So Capcom and other companies have. It is possible to argue that other company deserves the crown as best company developer since they have as well so many genres and so many AAAA+ games. But then again, I thought about how much garbage they had produced, (which in every case is abundant).

When I thought of lousy/boring/dreadful games, I thought of Blizzard. Because I remembered a friend who told me "If Blizzard is making a game, they will make it rock, even if the development needs 30 years". And I found which is, the real champion.

From 1993 to this day, every game Blizzard has made has been, for sakes of space: EPIC. They may not be as prolific as other companies, as in genre and amount of games, BUT: EVERY GAME THEY HAVE MADE SINCE 1993 IS A BLAST. I think that no other active company has ever succeded in this: for 16 CONSECUTIVE YEARS, EVERY GAME THEY HAVE DEVELOPED, BE AWESOME.

That is the reason of my statement. Jewels of gaming are great, but being able to say that every game you make is gold, equals to instant win.

Agree? Disagree?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

No, they take way too long to make games. They are excellent, though a bit overrated..

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

The fact that they wrought WoW upon this world kind of keeps them from taking the top spot.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I wouldn't say best ever, but currently they are easily the best
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#5 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

when they abandoned WOW development to their interns after BC, I lost all respect for them.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#6 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Blizz is massively overrated.

Diablo is a randomly generated mess.
Starcraft has pretty much taken over South Korea (and not in a good way).
Warcraft is a blatant rip off of Warhammer, and it has the most pathetic loyal fanbase known to man.
And WoW is a boring time sink that lacks decent gameplay, oh and the community is awful.

Valve is much better.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HFkami
Member since 2009 • 855 Posts

blizzard sucks now too starcraft 2 is just like the first game with good graphics, as they released WC3 they were realy infallible but after WoW they got like any other company.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HFkami

Warcraft is a blatant rip off of Warhammer, and it has the most pathetic loyal fanbase known to man.
And WoW is a boring time sink that lacks decent gameplay, oh and the community is awful.

Valve is much better.

swazidoughman

point 1-3 are just **** 4 i agree

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 curono
Possibly, but every game on their list has become a Major success. Tell about one company that can say the same thing.
Vaultn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vaultn00b
Member since 2009 • 281 Posts

Blizzard are too afraid of change to be a successful developer.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HFkami

Possibly, but every game on their list has become a Major success. Tell about one company that can say the same thing.curono

This dont mean anything if the game is actually good or not. A updaded Starcraft is maybe not bad but why waiting for 10 years think about it. If you look in this case SC2 is the worst game ever Starcraft 1 with new graphics 12 years waiting for ?

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

No, I am sorry but Nintendo still is the best developer ever. Blizzard is still probably in the top five though.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I like Blizzard but I wouldn't call them the best.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Blizzard are too afraid of change to be a successful developer.

Vaultn00b
What else can they change? Most successful MMO ever (WoW) Most successful RTS ever (Starcraft ) Also another hugely successful RTS (Warcraft) One of the biggest action/hackNslash games ever (Diablo) Blizzard bleeds success
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
No, they are a very competent developer, and make excellent games, but they never seem to try anything new
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Currently, overall they are one of the most sucessful in terms of money developers, (Not including MS/Sony etc.), I find Blizzard to be an amazing company all around, the only reason people don't like them is because of WoW.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Hard to pick a "best ever," but I wouldn't contest someone who called them that.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Heck Blizzard is the only dev company that can have a Convention (BlizzCon) and it sell out in less then 10 min while also having pay per view on TV and internet. ID is the only other dev company that can even have a convention with Quake con but that is more just a giant lan party now then anything.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Starcraft has pretty much taken over South Korea (and not in a good way).swazidoughman
That's a first. Someone bashing a game because people like it. I mean, that's been inferred sometimes, but never so blatantly stated.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

BioWare. Every BioWare game i've played has been great. Except that Sonic one, but it was still more fun then StarCraft.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

They are imo. Everything they do is pure gold and they are one of the biggest faces in PC gaming next to valve.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

No. I think Valve is. But that's just my opinion.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Blizzard was a good company until WoW appeared in this world. After that, they transformed into a usual company, a greedy one if you may ask me. I agree that some of their games are overrated, they are good (wc3, sc) but in some ways they are broken, need more balance. WoW well, it is bad. Period. Dont know how 11 million people still play it.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Vavle is my favorite. I can play there games for a looonnnggg time
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 curono
No, they are a very competent developer, and make excellent games, but they never seem to try anything newblack_tempest
Being the best does not necessarily mean to be the one that has most innovation
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Meh, they are good, but they are not the best IMO, especially since they seem to be going downhill a little bit. The best developers to me are Valve and Nintendo.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miroku32

Meh, they are good, but they are not the best IMO, especially since they seem to be going downhill a little bit. The best developers to me are Valve and Nintendo.

Wanderer5
I agree with you. Blizzard was taking the same way as Activision before they joined, now they are the same. They only throw out sequels and sequels. Only WoW expansions, guitar heros and call of duties.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
Not a fan of the types of games they produce, so I respectfully disagree.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I don't really like any of Blizzard's games.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

I agree with you. Blizzard was taking the same way as Activision before they joined, now they are the same. They only throw out sequels and sequels. Only WoW expansions, guitar heros and call of duties. Miroku32

I don't get this.

What has Blizzard to do with Guitar Heros and Call of Duties?

WoW's expansions (you said it) are not sequels, because the original story is not over, and sequels? That's true only for Warcraft 2 to Warcraft 1, which are 1994 and 1995 games.

Starcraft's sequel will come 12 or even 13 years after SC, Warcraft 2's sequel came out 6 years after its last expansion pack, and Diablo 3 will come 9-10 years after LoD.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Valve is much better.

swazidoughman

South Korea is taking care of the game better than the North America ever could. New, innovative maps are still being produced, and the endless stream of strategies and counter-strategies are still being engaged. You mind telling me how the game isn't being treated in a good way?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Miroku32

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]I agree with you. Blizzard was taking the same way as Activision before they joined, now they are the same. They only throw out sequels and sequels. Only WoW expansions, guitar heros and call of duties. Mograine

I don't get this.

What has Blizzard to do with Guitar Heros and Call of Duties?

WoW's expansions (you said it) are not sequels, because the original story is not over, and sequels? That's true only for Warcraft 2 to Warcraft 1, which are 1994 and 1995 games.

Starcraft's sequel will come 12 or even 13 years after SC, Warcraft 2's sequel came out 6 years after its last expansion pack, and Diablo 3 will come 9-10 years after LoD.

Not directly but (correct me if Im wrong) last year they joined with Activsion, now it is Activision Blizzard, not Activision or Blizzard. We all know that Activision was a greedy company and Blizzard was getting greedy when they made WoW. Now, two greedy companies will only make sequels but that is what I think. About expansions, they are killing the story. Almost all the great heroes I remember of Frozen Throne: Illidan, Kael, Anubarak, etc., are dead in Warcraft lore, so if they make Warcraft 4 (which I doubt it will come for at least 5-10 years) and they use the same lore of WoW then you might say the expansions are sequels. Starcraft was ruined the same day ActiBlizz decided to launch 3 Starcraft 2. Know the meaning of dual layer dvd anyone?
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
They are one of my best devs because they are the makers of Diablo, period.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Relic > Blizzard

Homeworld > Starcraft

I say this becasue of in terms of the strategy genre, Relic progressed and significantly contributed to the genre more than Blizzard ever did. I love me some Warcraft 3, but overall I do believe that Relic ships out their games in a greater quality.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HFkami

I don't really like any of Blizzard's games.siLVURcross

because you get owned in them

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

No because they're absolutely killing what was once an epic game (WoW), and it ALL has to do with making as much money as possible. It's like they don't even care for long term fans of their games anymore, but rather attracting the massive, casual audience, and that's it.

And they take WAY too long with their games. Valve, on the other hand, puts out games quite often, and they're all superb.

Not saying Valve is the best, but it's just another PC dev that shows you don't require a decade to make one good game.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I am still playing Warcraft 3 more than any other game I own this year (mostly because of DOTA)
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mograine

Not directly but (correct me if Im wrong) last year they joined with Activsion, now it is Activision Blizzard, not Activision or Blizzard. We all know that Activision was a greedy company and Blizzard was getting greedy when they made WoW. Now, two greedy companies will only make sequels but that is what I think. About expansions, they are killing the story. Almost all the great heroes I remember of Frozen Throne: Illidan, Kael, Anubarak, etc., are dead in Warcraft lore, so if they make Warcraft 4 (which I doubt it will come for at least 5-10 years) and they use the same lore of WoW then you might say the expansions are sequels. Starcraft was ruined the same day ActiBlizz decided to launch 3 Starcraft 2. Know the meaning of dual layer dvd anyone?Miroku32

Yes, they were merged indeed.

I agree with the WoW part (that's the main reason I decided to quit, after all), but I highly doubt they'll make a WC4 continuing from WoW's "end", it's more likely they will release a game continuing from TFT's end, even though I have no idea how would it turn out.

About SC2, I thought it was a justifiable idea, just by thinking about how much did Brood War add to the original. Also, I'm afraid you didn't hear about some of the Blizzcon news, read about SC2's editor from a quick google search and I assure you'll be happy ;) . Besides, they are taking too long to even release the first game, I wonder how long would have it been if the "3 games" were released as one :? .

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSdual_wielder

No because they're absolutely killing what was once an epic game (WoW), and it ALL has to do with making as much money as possible. It's like they don't even care for long term fans of their games anymore, but rather attracting the massive, casual audience, and that's it.

And they take WAY too long with their games. Valve, on the other hand, puts out games quite often, and they're all superb.

Not saying Valve is the best, but it's just another PC dev that shows you don't require a decade to make one good game.

treedoor

That being said, they're still reluctant to make another real half life sequel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]I don't really like any of Blizzard's games.HFkami

:?

Uh, okay?...

If you really think that, then by all means.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

PSdual_wielder

That being said, they're still reluctant to make another real half life sequel.

Srsly :( That's my favorite FPS.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HFkami

[QUOTE="HFkami"]

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]I don't really like any of Blizzard's games.siLVURcross

:? Uh, okay?... I think my Asian blood is enough to say if I ever bother learning the games, I can do well.

i dunno why you cant like the games even if you dont like the original they are tons of funmaps for Wc3 and SC

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

It would be a toss up between Valve, Bioware and Blizzard.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Miroku32

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Not directly but (correct me if Im wrong) last year they joined with Activsion, now it is Activision Blizzard, not Activision or Blizzard. We all know that Activision was a greedy company and Blizzard was getting greedy when they made WoW. Now, two greedy companies will only make sequels but that is what I think. About expansions, they are killing the story. Almost all the great heroes I remember of Frozen Throne: Illidan, Kael, Anubarak, etc., are dead in Warcraft lore, so if they make Warcraft 4 (which I doubt it will come for at least 5-10 years) and they use the same lore of WoW then you might say the expansions are sequels. Starcraft was ruined the same day ActiBlizz decided to launch 3 Starcraft 2. Know the meaning of dual layer dvd anyone?Mograine

Yes, they were merged indeed.

I agree with the WoW part (that's the main reason I decided to quit, after all), but I highly doubt they'll make a WC4 continuing from WoW's "end", it's more likely they will release a game continuing from TFT's end, even though I have no idea how would it turn out.

About SC2, I thought it was a justifiable idea, just by thinking about how much did Brood War add to the original. Also, I'm afraid you didn't hear about some of the Blizzcon news, read about SC2's editor from a quick google search and I assure you'll be happy ;) . Besides, they are taking too long to even release the first game, I wonder how long would have it been if the "3 games" were released as one :? .

I think that they have everything ready in the lore part because in the beginning it was a single proyect. In fact, if they said they would make an expansion for more sc lore it would be ok for me but I think the "trilogy" is for get more money. I guess the price will be 50-60 dollars for each game.
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

They probably are the best developer ever. If I made a top 10 games of all time list it would be filled with Blizzard. Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, those games are just legendary and are maybe my most played games of all time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="HFkami"]

HFkami

:? Uh, okay?... I think my Asian blood is enough to say if I ever bother learning the games, I can do well.

i dunno why you cant like the games even if you dont like the original they are tons of funmaps for Wc3 and SC

I just don't. Simple as that. And yes I've tried out some of them already, namely Starcraft and Diablo.
NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Valve's games are incredibly more innovative

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mograine

I think that they have everything ready in the lore part because in the beginning it was a single proyect. In fact, if they said they would make an expansion for more sc lore it would be ok for me but I think the "trilogy" is for get more money. I guess the price will be 50-60 dollars for each game.Miroku32

Are you confusing SC2 with Assassin's Creed :P ?

I'd be surprised if they didn't have "everything" in the lore ready, what I was talking about are the maps (they don't have to make only the ones used in the campaign, and if you know well SC you should also know how crucial the map design is in game balance), units, and dubbing.

I heard somewhere the other two games would have been released at 30-40$, not at the price of a full game.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Most overrated developer. All they put out are sequels and expansions, makes them a good fit for activision. You think that getting filthy rich off of WOW would aford them to take a few risks.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PSdual_wielder

Most overrated developer. All they put out are sequels and expansions, makes them a good fit for activision. You think that getting filthy rich off of WOW would aford them to take a few risks.

deangallop

You do know that world of warcraft was possibly the greatest risk blizzard ever took, and it paid off immensely. And they put at least years of development time into their games before announcing them, so most likely they already have stuff in the works that nobody knows about yet. In fact there was an article a while back confirming they're already working on new IPs.