Bioware reveals "Shadow Realms" A-RPG. Screens&Trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Dsogaming writes :

Electronic Arts has unveiled Bioware’s new IP, Shadow Realms. Shadow Realms will be an action RPG that is inspired by Bioware’s classic PC games. This new title will be coming exclusively on the PC, and its closed alpha phase will be launched later this year.

Shadow Realms is an Online Co-Op Action RPG and revolves around Co-Op 4v1 Shadowlord PvP, meaning that players will need an Internet Connection in order to enjoy it. The game will be released episodically.

Shadow Realms has its genesis in old school Dungeons & Dragons, and ultimately aims bring the magic of tabletop RPGs to the digital realm.

As Bioware’s James Ohle said:

“When I first started designing BioWare RPGs back in the 90s, what drove me creatively was the desire to give players the experience I had while playing pen and paper games as a youth. The great storytelling, the feeling that anything could happen – these were experiences that you couldn’t find in any other game. And the great thing was that these adventures never had an end. A good Dungeon Master could keep a story going for months or even years.”

Those interested can sign up for the closed beta here.

All in all, Shadow Realms is definitely not the next big ‘Mass Effect’ thing. Still, the game sounds interesting so let’s see what Bioware has in store for us!

Source

Thoughts .?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

your thoughts first!

Tired of online only and episodic bullshit .

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

This has been such a incredible gamescom for pcgaming.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Wasted opportunity. They'll be crowded out in the online space by MOBA's etc while everyone who was a fan of old Bioware/Black Isle will be playing proper single-player CRPG's like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment. Big missed opportunity to join the PC RPG renaissance.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@7mdma said:

Wasted opportunity. They'll be crowded out in the online space by MOBA's etc while everyone who was a fan of old Bioware/Black Isle will be playing proper single-player CRPG's like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment. Big missed opportunity to join the PC RPG renaissance.

Dafuq are you talking about man.

Does CoD crowd the console market? No. It only fills in the blank spaces. MOBAs don't detract from other games' success.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 7MDMA

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

Does CoD crowd the console market? No. It only fills in the blank spaces. MOBAs don't detract from other games' success.

They missed their target audience for the game by going multi-player only is what I'm saying. They probably had a look at the MOBA craze and thought that was where the money was on PC (online) even as CRPG fans were scooping up a game like DOS like hot cakes. (the kind of game Bioware used to make)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

They missed their target audience for the game by going multi-player only is what I'm saying. They probably had a look at the MOBA craze and thought that was where the money was on PC (online) even as CRPG fans were scooping up a game like DOS like hot cakes. (the kind of game Bioware used to make)

I think the idea is to target the audience of Neverwinter Nights, which hasn't been served for almost decade. It has nothing in common with MOBAs and this type of game simply can't work in SP.

And it's not like BioWare isn't making lots of SP RPGs anyway. Makes more sense to try to do something different from time to time.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

Multiplayer RPG =/= MOBA

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 7MDMA

@AdrianWerner said:

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

I think the idea is to target the audience of Neverwinter Nights, which hasn't been served for almost decade. It has nothing in common with MOBAs and this type of game simply can't work in SP.

And it's not like BioWare isn't making lots of SP RPGs anyway. Makes more sense to try to do something different from time to time.

I'm not writing it off completely but online and episodic clash heavily with my idea of Bioware going back to their roots. :)

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, pc exclusive, online .

I don't like to judge something before I actually see it in action but bioware making new ip? I was really hoping for another strong sp campaign... again, gotta wait and see what this game is.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, online .

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Looks like rubbish.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

No Kotor 3, no sale. :P

I kid but this one doesn't interest me too much ATM.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@AdrianWerner said:

@7mdma said:

@parkurtommo said:

@7mdma said:

This. Seems it's more about virtual PnP than a normal deathmatch style, like Evolve.

If there's world creation tools and the possibility to make "dungeons" this could be pretty awesome. I loved NWN

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lol Bioware.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts
@GrenadeLauncher said:

lol Bioware.

My sentiments exactly

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I suspect F2P with that kind of structure and PC only. Trying to stay ahead of the curve with this community development thing.

Shame really coz the idea sounds good.

isshiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#20 isshiah
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

Bioware does have other SP games up its sleeves, but i'm still disappointed this didn't turn out to be one of them. The trailers did make it seem like multiple characters would be involved, I just assumed those were the player character variations, not multiplayer.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its about god damn time !

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

So basically Evolve RPG.. no thanks.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#23 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I really like their comparisons to Dungeons and Dragons and having it be somewhat of a party of players versus the GM.

But looking at everything else, I'm not too impressed just yet. It's an initial showing, sure, but it didn't instill excitement in me.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
inspired by Bioware’s classic PC games.

Aye right.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Does'nt look like it has much of anything to do with DnD.

Also, online only, competetive coop pvp :/ I kinda had to make up that genre.....

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

futuristic world using medieval weapons? ehhh

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

meh. couldnt give a shit about this type of game, no idea why games are trending to this 4 vs 1 style. first evole, then fable and now this shit

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Hype meter went up with "action rpg" and went right back down with episodic, pc exclusive, online .

I don't like to judge something before I actually see it in action but bioware making new ip? I was really hoping for another strong sp campaign... again, gotta wait and see what this game is.

I feel the same way. Online only doesn't bother me, but I'm personally not paying $60 per episode.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Video footage

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Looks more interesting than Dragon Age: IQ at least.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@geniobastardo said:

your thoughts first!

Tired of online only and episodic bullshit .

Yep... I'm out.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

look at this mediocre art direction and the game looks ugly eww.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

lol looks like low budget gen 7 scraps off the cutting room floor. no surprise its pc exclusive

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@m3dude1 said:

lol looks like low budget gen 7 scraps off the cutting room floor. no surprise its pc exclusive

A PC exclusive currently blows away all console games. (Star Citizen). Multiplats on PC (ultra) look better than any console exclusive. And run better.

I find it funny that you are 100% about graphics at the first 1-2 years of every gen (which you lose at). But then the next 6-7 years you suddenly shift to game scores/ratings (which you also lose at).

Funny how that is right?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By m3dude1

the 3 best looking games out right now are only on console.

#feelsgoodman

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 m3dude1

only going to get worse for herms over the next few months. driveclub makes mincemeat out of NFS shift 2.2 errrr i mean pcars.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Very sad to see off the bat people hating this game for any excuse they can drum up.

Much of it is simply jelly console peasants angry this is not another boring console title Mass Or Effect game. Fear not though, The Dragon Age is now Mass Effect Skyrims. Two casual console gamers for the price of one.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I got an Alpha invite.

Doesn't look like anything thats all that great. But I said the same thing about Destiny before I played it.

And yes...omg...it's a PC exclusive. Woopty fuckin' doo.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

Does not look particularly interesting; however I will hold final judgement until more information is made light.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

As with everything bioware, will wait for reviews-

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@m3dude1 said:

the 3 best looking games out right now are only on console.

Crysis3, Metro Redux ultra, Ryse PC ultra all look better than anything on consoles......which is sad, consoles this early in the gen should have gfx king. You and I both know whats going to happen for the majority of this gen, which is why you're always too scared to talk about it. Which is what happened last gen. I remember you going on about Gears of War. And then..well...the next 7 years you weren't so vocal about gfx lol.

#winning

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 m3dude1

ryse pc isnt even out. lolololol @ crysis 3 and metro.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@m3dude1 said:

ryse pc isnt even out. lolololol @ crysis 3 and metro.

I'm talking about the metro remastered, not original. Also AC:unity ultra on PC also looks better than anything on consoles as well. So basically, 4 Games within a year not including if SC, Elite, UT, and Dreadnaught come out. And lets not even get into the low performance issues rofl 30 fps and sub 1080p for many games.

Ouch. You're like a gfx cicada who only comes out every 7 years lmao. Almost time to hibernation Carlos!

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Lame I don't like the sound of any of it.