Bioshock sold 2.2 million, Over 1 million were on PC...

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Both endings sucked and the majority of the build up to those endings pretty much sucked. The gameplay was atrociously boring as well. I would rather they had just made System Shock 3 and appealed to the SS fans instead of simplifying it for the wider audience.foxhound_fox
I cant say I found the gameplay boring as for most of the time I messed around with all the plasmids and weapons. However the game design structure left a bit to be desired (though there were some fun bits of variety - ala Fort Frolic or Fontain Fisheries), and it should have been more about surviving Rapture - in a survival horror manner, like Shock 2, rather being a gold on legs with a power wrench.

Though yea most of the buildup to the endings and different endings were indeed terrible. The developers could have done so much with it. Honestly I dont see why they didnt comment on the irony of the main character, who was probably the biggest adam junkie in the entire game (second to Fontain), and more of a Splicer, than the splicers themselves. They could have done something truly unique and thought provoking, like meeting Andrew Ryan, instead it was just a conventional, predictable ending, which was only based along the lines of the piss poor moral choices (way too much focus on the little sisters).

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#102 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Well, this is proof that much like Oblivion, any PC game that gets the "console treatment" (lots of flash, not much barrier pushing apparently) will also sell much better than its predecessors.

Unless they're craptastic Ubisoft ports.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

I don't know what is more pathetic. Fanboys saying PC gaming is dying or fanboys constantly saying PC gaming is not dying.yellowandmushy

I don't think TC is a fanboy, go check your definition...

SmeagleTEhBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SmeagleTEhBomb
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
you know bioshock was such an epic win that the only thing i can really say is that...........i'm glad it sold so much!!
SmeagleTEhBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 SmeagleTEhBomb
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
i really need to get around to playing it though
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#106 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
PC Gaming isn't exactly dying, just selling less than the console versions.Vaan7
At retail.
santeri_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 santeri_15
Member since 2005 • 522 Posts
This argument of: "not impressive considering the number of PCs that could play it," does not make any sense.

Developers don't make money out of percentages, they make money out of sales. If there are more sales on PC then they are likely making more money on that platform, which is a good thing for that platform. If the sales are around the same, then it's good for everyone.

As to why only 1% (or whatever the actual percentage is) of those with a gaming video card have bought Bioshock, they may be enjoying other games, there are plenty to choose from. Piracy is likely a factor, but I have no idea how significant it is.
Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...dgsag

It's kinda funny... I see more threads saying PC gaming "isn't Dead" than anything else coming from the hermits... WHat the hell happened to the *insert PC game here* will destroy teh console's... :? OhSnapitz

arent hermits always bragging about their huge fanbase? lulz thats not impressive at allgohan2710

Whaddya know? Three of the first 5 posts are damage control.

Even if Bioshock sold 3 million, that's still bad for the, ummmm, 100 million install base?

The PC install bae is not comprised of gamers, the gamers are only a small part of it. Don't be ridiculous.

And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?

MGS3 sold only 3 million, and the entire PS2 install base could run it. :|

LOL END, END THIS THREAD
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 skrat_01

Well, this is proof that much like Oblivion, any PC game that gets the "console treatment" (lots of flash, not much barrier pushing apparently) will also sell much better than its predecessors.

FrozenLiquid
Depends, look at STALKER. A new IP that didn't get the "console treatment" and sold 1.5-2 million (apparently)
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#110 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

MGS3 sold only 3 million, and the entire PS2 install base could run it. :|

Riki101

LOL END, END THIS THREAD

But the discussion must continue. :P

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

FrozenLiquid

not really. Not only did Oblivion not sell better than Morrowind on PC, but Biosock isn't a sequel to SystemShock.

You simplyfy the old PC franchise it will sell worse in most cases and Irrational has proved it already with Tribes: Vengeance :) Lots of flash, not much barrier pushing, even a lenghty SP campaign and how did it end? :) )

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#112 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

AdrianWerner

not really. Not only did Oblivion not sell better than Morrowind on PC, but Biosock isn't a sequel to SystemShock.

You simplyfy the old PC franchise it will sell worse in most cases and Irrational has proved it already with Tribes: Vengeance :) Lots of flash, not much barrier pushing, even a lenghty SP campaign and how did it end? :) )

Yes, Oblivion sold more than Morrowind on PC. Not only did every Morrowind fan pick it up, people who didn't like the Elder Scrolls did too.

If you did linger around the Bethesda forums months after the launch of Oblivion, you would've realized that we all didn't know how repetitive the Oblivion gates were going to become, and how bad the level scaling was going to be. Nevertheless, Elder Scrolls fans (and I shall differ them from hermits, because they're not so far up their own ass like that), still enjoy it as an Elder Scrolls game, hence the strong mod support. The only people that "hate" it for being different than Morrowind are certain people who need to prove a point.

Bioshock not being a sequel to System Shock doesn't mean anything. It's made by Irrational, the creators of System Shock, and has been billed as the spiritual successor to the latter. The only reason SS3 hasn't been made is because EA owns the rights to System Shock.

Tribes: Vengeance's moment ended the moment it decided it'll try to grab the wallets of every person who would purchase Half Life 2 (including the previously sought after Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source), Halo 2, and GTA: San Andreas: all of them had huge marketing campaigns. Subsequently, all dev support has been dropped.

Pure_Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#113 Pure_Awesome
Member since 2006 • 1684 Posts
PC gaming will never die out entirely, as millions more own a PC than a console
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Yes, Oblivion sold more than Morrowind on PC. Not only did every Morrowind fan pick it up, people who didn't like the Elder Scrolls did too.FrozenLiquid

Oh...so bassicaly you're just theoretizing? I mean come on, provide some proof. Not only did Oblivion on PC not sell as good as Morrowind, overall Oblivion didn't sell as good as Morrowind. The last number Bethsoft gave for Oblivion was 3mln, still less than 4mln they gave for Morrowind before Oblivion was out. And mind you 360 version of Oblivion sold 2,5mln alone, while Beth guys were saying in case of Morrowind they were surprised the sales were split pretty evenly between platforms. So unless you have anything to back your Oblivion PC > Morrowind PC in sales theory, it's safe to assume Morrowind PC sold better than Oblivion PC

The only people that "hate" it for being different than Morrowind are certain people who need to prove a point.FrozenLiquid

THat's very arrogent and to be honest simply dumb logic. Many people were hugely dissapointed by Oblivion, including a lot of ES fans, especialy since the game turned into more of action-adventure than RPG. I don't know if you can actualy hate a game, but tons of people, including many ES and RPG fans were hugely dissapointed in Oblivion

If fans would be so pleased with Oblivion's gameplay there wouldn't be so many gameplay-changing mods. Far more than in Morrowind or to be honest more than in any game I've ever seen.

Bioshock not being a sequel to System Shock doesn't mean anything. FrozenLiquid

It means you using it as a proof that dumbed down sequels sell better on PC doesn't make sense

It's made by Irrational, the creators of System Shock, and has been billed as the spiritual successor to the latter. The only reason SS3 hasn't been made is because EA owns the rights to System Shock.FrozenLiquid

And yet it's a completely different game, with different setting and it was billed as SS successor only when it existed only as concept art, for two years since the game was actualy unveiled nobody from Irrational billed it as such. it was hyped as a good FPS and obviously the market for FPSes is bigger than a market for LookingGlassStudios hybrids.
Bassicaly you're grasping for straws. Sales prove dumbed down games sell worse than their predecessors on PC, that happens in almost every single case. I knw you're trying hard to find proofs that it's not true and I guess it must anger you that you can only find one (CiV4) to counter couple dozens proofs that I'm right, but this is just grasping for straws

Tribes: Vengeance's moment ended the moment it decided it'll try to grab the wallets of every person who would purchase Half Life 2 (including the previously sought after Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source), Halo 2, and GTA: San Andreas: all of them had huge marketing campaigns. Subsequently, all dev support has been dropped.
FrozenLiquid

As opossed to being a MP-only game in 1998? Or scompeting against all those FPSes in 2001? That's desperate from you. And it's jhust an excuse. Fans simply completely abaddoned Vengeance because of how dumbed down it was compared to T1 and T2 and that's it. THe sales were absymal and that's why IG dropped the support.

Come on, this is getting ridiculous, you're putting Bioshock as an example that dumbing down PCgame make it sell better on PC, when it's a game hat's not a direct sequel, it's a game with different setting than SS2, a lot bigger marketing campaign and was hyped as FPS for most of it's development time as opossed to being SS3 and that somehow proves your theory when Tribes:Vengeance, a pure sequel, with added SP campaign for mass appeal and with bigger marketing than either T1 or T2 had somehow doesn't fit in this discussion? That's hyporcisy.

YOu're simply in denial, I'm sorry, but it's true. There are so many examples that prove the "dumbed down = lower sales" rule on PC, you on the other hand so far were able to provide one example to contrary and two really bizzare other atempts. I mean heck, even if those two would be true, they still would be in minority compared to vast seas of games that prove otherwise And yet there you are writting that "any PC game that gets the "console treatment" (lots of flash, not much barrier pushing apparently) will also sell much better than its predecessors."

"ANY GAME"

I mean come on, you're reaching almost Wok7 levels here

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#115 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
PC gaming will always be big, sorry to say console fanboys
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts
I got the impression that his was a bad thing because that means a minority of them was sold on the PC.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Well that's good. Probably doesn't even include digital download figures either.
Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Gaming4_Life
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

GTFO.

PC Gaming is already dead. nVidia are the liars!

thrones
HAHAHA Console fanboys at the height of their shameless bash.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 skrat_01

As opossed to being a MP-only game in 1998? Or scompeting against all those FPSes in 2001? That's desperate from you. And it's jhust an excuse. Fans simply completely abaddoned Vengeance because of how dumbed down it was compared to T1 and T2 and that's it. THe sales were absymal and that's why IG dropped the support.

Come on, this is getting ridiculous, you're putting Bioshock as an example that dumbing down PCgame make it sell better on PC, when it's a game hat's not a direct sequel, it's a game with different setting than SS2, a lot bigger marketing campaign and was hyped as FPS for most of it's development time as opossed to being SS3 and that somehow proves your theory when Tribes:Vengeance, a pure sequel, with added SP campaign for mass appeal and with bigger marketing than either T1 or T2 had somehow doesn't fit in this discussion? That's hyporcisy.

YOu're simply in denial, I'm sorry, but it's true. There are so many examples that prove the "dumbed down = lower sales" rule on PC, you on the other hand so far were able to provide one example to contrary and two really bizzare other atempts. I mean heck, even if those two would be true, they still would be in minority compared to vast seas of games that prove otherwise And yet there you are writting that "any PC game that gets the "console treatment" (lots of flash, not much barrier pushing apparently) will also sell much better than its predecessors."

"ANY GAME"

I mean come on, you're reaching almost Wok7 levels here

AdrianWerner

As a Tribes fan I agree with you on Vengeance.

Even though I really liked the game, and was terribly dissapointed at its failure at retail, I have to admit it just lost direction.

The Tribes community never took to it because it was simplified; although it was alot slicker and had much higher production values, it lacked the depth of the first two, and its multiplayer wasent a primary, rather a secondary. Thus it was snubbed.
Its a pity because the singleplayer was really good and the multiplayer was decent aswell, however indeed it just didnt hold a candle to Tribes 1 and 2 in the multiplayer department, which was the most crucial for such a title.

Its release time, of course was a contributing factor.... But if it had primary focus on the MP and catered to Tribes fans it would have fared much better at retail, off its own fanbase, rather than aiming for an SP experience, duking it out with the monstrosities Half Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3.

You are also correct with Bioshock. The game had a huge hype build up, and a large marketing campaign (i was surprised to see TV advertisements even here), compared to a game like Stalker which got a a very small marketing campaign in comparison and wasn't 'simplfied' for a wide audience, it sold more(or so ive read).