Bioshock sold 2.2 million, Over 1 million were on PC...

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 0

#51 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

And sadly, I was one of those 1 million. What a waste of money that game was.foxhound_fox

I thought it was worth my $30. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#52 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]And sadly, I was one of those 1 million. What a waste of money that game was.dgsag

I thought it was worth my $30. ;)

I paid $50 for the game. you're just lucky you got it at a lower price. :(

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Competition from what?

Vaan7
From the most competitive line-up of FPSes the market has ever seen? It had to directly compete with STALKER, Orange Box, UT3, QuakeWars, Crysis and CoD4.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
arent hermits always bragging about their huge fanbase? lulz thats not impressive at allgohan2710
>.> Twas thinking the same thing. So many threads on how the PC makes up 50% of the gaming revenue,over 180 million nvidia users (something like that),how the Sims sold over 100 million...it's more impressive that the 360 with only 19million users sold just as much,if not more,than the PC version. :roll: Really...the only people who make "PC is dying" threads are the "hermits" themselves...get over it people. T_T Are we that strained on news that we have to make the same threads 10x over and over??
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
PC gaming isn't dying, it just doesn;t get the massive media and press attention that consoles get. i belive i can call that fact.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Not every computer can run BioShock, otherwise it would have sold loads more. BioShock is still moderately high-end. However, as time goes on, even low-end PCs will be able to run the game. Did you know that laptops are beginning to out-perform consoles? Its not all desktop computers anymore :)

Muzzle_Flashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Muzzle_Flashes
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts

But I thoughtz teh PC Gamingz was dying?

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/06/ken-levine-re-n.html

QUOTE: "Coming off the big commercial success (2.2 million units sold) and even bigger critical success of the game, Levine has become one of the very few recognizable and respected names in the videogame development community and he's trying to use that to get the creative freedom and compensation he feels he deserves..."

NVIDIA statement:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=148824&page=2

"A very successful PC game sells 2 to 3 million - well, we have more than enough GeForce users for that too. Crysis has sold over a million copies on PC, despite everything. BioShock sold over a million on PC. Pick any successful PC title you can think of - selling over a million is being done, and will continue to happen."

The PC version made up at least 50% of sales for a title that was primarily promoted on the Xbox 360 before any of its other fall blockbusters came out. Where's the dying, Consolites? :roll:

dgsag

And MGS4, a console game sold half its sales in day one, Halo 3, so it's sales and more in day one...is there any pc game in this past year or 2 that achieved that?Any pc game that has over 5 million sales that released from 2007 to now with those sales?Exactly....

PC gaming isn't dead, it just doesn't sell anywhere near the amount that console games do...

I mean nvida said something about like 160 million nvida gamers, but this game took over a year and only sold 2 million....Lol, pc gaming isn't dead, it's just on life support sucking on every small chance of life it can get but ending up getting putting in the dirt by inferior consoles...

/thread

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

What I find even more interesting is that STALKER sold almost as much as Bioshock, despite being a PC-only game with marketing budget not even 10% as big as Bioshock's one and with nowhere near as much hype :)

And it blew away sales of PC Bioshock. Hopefuly it will be a further proof for developers that it's worth the effort not to dumb down PC games :)

AdrianWerner

STALKER came out before Bioshock, so I suspect that has to contribute a bit.

BTW (not to you AW), there's a certain reason PC games almost never break a million in mere days. They take their time and don't "drop" sales as quickly as console titles.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

Why are Hermits desperately trying to prove that PC gaming is not dying?

It's just a million sold...

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

And MGS4, a console game sold half its sales in day one, Halo 3, so it's sales and more in day one...is there any pc game in this past year or 2 that achieved that?Any pc game that has over 5 million sales that released from 2007 to now with those sales?Exactly....

Muzzle_Flashes

'IRVINE, Calif. - January 23, 2007 - Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®: The Burning CrusadeTM has broken the day-one sales record to become the fastest-selling PC game ever in North America and Europe, with a worldwide total of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in the first 24 hours of availability'

You lose....

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

I was one of the Million.

Have to say post meeting Ryan the game went downhill. Damn the ending sucked.

Still a great game though.

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts

for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...-RocBoys9489-

that.

plus halo sold 8 million on 1 console.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
[QUOTE="Muzzle_Flashes"]

tenaka2

'IRVINE, Calif. - January 23, 2007 - Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®: The Burning CrusadeTM has broken the day-one sales record to become the fastest-selling PC game ever in North America and Europe, with a worldwide total of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in the first 24 hours of availability'

You lose....

Now that's what I call pwnage:lol:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 skrat_01

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...rgame1

that.

With a mega million dollar marketing campaign, that no other game in history has got :|

Sims sold 30 million on PC with no mega million marketing campaign whatsoever.

Go figure.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

hm.. so the ps2 was a flop then right ? :roll:

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dgsag

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...rgame1

that.

Hmm, I didn't really see Crysis or Bioshock posters covering my city or my slurpees having Nomad or a Big Daddy on them. :|

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Muzzle_Flashes"]

tenaka2

You lose....

Doubly. MGS4 lost to an expansion. And this doesn't even include electronic sales, which aren't trackable at present. Bioshock is available through Steam, so there's a fair chance there are even more sales there that aren't being mentioned.

Also, to the consolites, show us a game that can sell consistently well for well over 12 months. You see, PC sales are for the long haul, and as the old fable shows, slow and steady is usually the way to go.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 dgsag
[QUOTE="tenaka2"][QUOTE="Muzzle_Flashes"]

HuusAsking

You lose....

Doubly. MGS4 lost to an expansion. And this doesn't even include electronic sales, which aren't trackable at present. Bioshock is available through Steam, so there's a fair chance there are even more sales there that aren't being mentioned.

Also, to the consolites, show us a game that can sell consistently well for well over 12 months. You see, PC sales are for the long haul, and as the old fable shows, slow and steady is usually the way to go.

Exactly, I bet consolites didn't know that games like Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 sold over 4 million copies to date...

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

indeed, IMO this confirms pc gaming is dying

usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts

QUOTE: "Coming off the big commercial success (2.2 million units sold) and even bigger critical success of the game, Levine has become one of the very few recognizable and respected names in the videogame development community and he's trying to use that to get the creative freedom and compensation he feels he deserves..."

NVIDIA statement:

"A very successful PC game sells 2 to 3 million - well, we have more than enough GeForce users for that too. Crysis has sold over a million copies on PC, despite everything. BioShock sold over a million on PC. Pick any successful PC title you can think of - selling over a million is being done, and will continue to happen."

The PC version made up at least 50% of sales for a title that was primarily promoted on the Xbox 360 before any of its other fall blockbusters came out. Where's the dying, Consolites? :roll:

dgsag
Are you telling me that an installed usebase of roughly 13 million so easily beat the massive hermit army? lulz.
IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

NVIDIA statement:

dgsag

THIS OWNS ALL CONSOLE FANBOYS IN A ROW /THREAD /POST OF THE FORUM

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

Are you telling me that an installed usebase of roughly 13 million so easily beat the massive hermit army? lulz.usmcjdk6

Dont get offensive and fell wounded becouse yo uare in a cramped position. The "army" you belong to just cant hold it. Face it farmers with forks fail against Nanosuit soldiers, fact.

Killer2401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Killer2401
Member since 2006 • 3431 Posts

I just got a 9600gt, dual core, 4gb ram computer So I hope it's not dieing and Im a ps3 fan all the way but nobody wants to see pc gaming die anyway, I think people more just like to get a rise out of pc fanboys more than anything

bigLLL

I just got a new graphics card to replace my hunk of junk 6150se (I got and 8400gs) so PC gaming better not die! And that's coming from someone that's a 360 fan.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
[QUOTE="bigLLL"]

I just got a 9600gt, dual core, 4gb ram computer So I hope it's not dieing and Im a ps3 fan all the way but nobody wants to see pc gaming die anyway, I think people more just like to get a rise out of pc fanboys more than anything

Killer2401

I just got a new graphics card to replace my hunk of junk 6150se (I got and 8400gs) so PC gaming better not die! And that's coming from someone that's a 360 fan.

Er, just so you know, that isn't that much better :? .

Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...mingo123

so that means the 360 is also dying isnt it ?

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...-RocBoys9489-

It's kinda funny... I see more threads saying PC gaming "isn't Dead" than anything else coming from the hermits... WHat the hell happened to the *insert PC game here* will destroy teh console's... :? OhSnapitz

arent hermits always bragging about their huge fanbase? lulz thats not impressive at allgohan2710

Whaddya know? Three of the first 5 posts are damage control.

Even if Bioshock sold 3 million, that's still bad for the, ummmm, 100 million install base?

The PC install bae is not comprised of gamers, the gamers are only a small part of it. Don't be ridiculous.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...ithilgore2006

It's kinda funny... I see more threads saying PC gaming "isn't Dead" than anything else coming from the hermits... WHat the hell happened to the *insert PC game here* will destroy teh console's... :? OhSnapitz

Even if Bioshock sold 3 million, that's still bad for the, ummmm, 100 million install base?

The PC install bae is not comprised of gamers, the gamers are only a small part of it. Don't be ridiculous.

And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 skrat_01

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...mingo123

Confirms console gaming is dead. Especially when so many consoles games are being ported to PC :|

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dgsag
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...HuusAsking

And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?

Ever consider that not everybody wants to play Bioshock? :roll:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 skrat_01
And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?HuusAsking
What about all those Xbox 360s sold? Even MSs temporary console exclusivity of the title.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
re you telling me that an installed usebase of roughly 13 million so easily beat the massive hermit army? lulz.usmcjdk6
In sales of a game that was dumbed down to specificaly suit 360 gamers? Yeah, that's surprising :D
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 dgsag
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]for the number of 360s and PCs, that's not that good...HuusAsking

MGS3 sold only 3 million, and the entire PS2 install base could run it. :|

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
lol i love this thread now think what would have happened if bio shock was made only for pc. lol it would have been a way better game lol maybe graphics like crysis lol
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 skrat_01

lol i love this thread now think what would have happened if bio shock was made only for pc. lol it would have been a way better game lol maybe graphics like crysis lolblackdreamhunk
I just cant help but think if it was made in vein of System Shock 2, and less of a run and gun shooter.

If this game was more of a survival horror, and the RPG elements were deeper, it could have been downright amazing.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?dgsag

:roll: Ever consider that it doesn't really matter? Why else would someone get an enthusiast graphics card except to make games look good, whether it be for BioShock, Crysis, or whatever. The fact that nVidia and ATI are making a killing in that market is a pretty clear sign quite a lot of people game on their computers.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

You guys are impossible to please. Nothing is good enough for you. :P

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dgsag
[QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

And what about all those enthusiast graphics cards being bought from nVidia and ATI?HuusAsking

:roll: Ever consider that it doesn't really matter? Why else would someone get an enthusiast graphics card except to make games look good, whether it be for BioShock, Crysis, or whatever. The fact that nVidia and ATI are making a killing in that market is a pretty clear sign quite a lot of people game on their computers.

Yeah, and unlike an average console, there's a lot of quality AAA games that one can choose from to play using those cards.

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
I don't think PC game is dyin but I do think just a little over a million is a sad figure when your compairing it to the Xbox 360 or anything other console with a much smaller install base. But again piracy has ALOT to do with that...
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I don't think PC game is dyin but I do think just a little over a million is a sad figure when your compairing it to the Xbox 360 or anything other console with a much smaller install base. But again piracy has ALOT to do with that...APOLLOCJD

Yup, too bad GTA4 has about 3000 seeders on the first page (there are 5-6 different torrents) of a major tracker.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 blackdreamhunk
the witcher sold 2 mill, gw sold 5 mill, wow 10 mill and sim alot. starcarft still selling so is fall out.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 HuusAsking

I don't think PC game is dyin but I do think just a little over a million is a sad figure when your compairing it to the Xbox 360 or anything other console with a much smaller install base. But again piracy has ALOT to do with that...APOLLOCJD
It's a lot better than you think when you factor the following:

1. Increased competition (you have a much larger existing library to overcome).

2. Lower development costs (you don't need expensive customized devkits unless you want to). This allows for a lower break-even point.

3. Sins of a Solar Empire made its terrific sales with no copy protection. Crysis made its sales despite a high barrier of entry. And explain why Orange Box sold best on PC even though it was available for both 360 and PS3 (with the former day and date).

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 blackdreamhunk

[QUOTE="APOLLOCJD"]I don't think PC game is dyin but I do think just a little over a million is a sad figure when your compairing it to the Xbox 360 or anything other console with a much smaller install base. But again piracy has ALOT to do with that...HuusAsking

It's a lot better than you think when you factor the following:

1. Increased competition (you have a much larger existing library to overcome).

2. Lower development costs (you don't need expensive customized devkits unless you want to). This allows for a lower break-even point.

3. Sins of a Solar Empire made its terrific sales with no copy protection. Crysis made its sales despite a high barrier of entry. And explain why Orange Box sold best on PC even though it was available for both 360 and PS3 (with the former day and date).

sin of the solar empire made 2 mill and still selling
leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts

It's a shame about the game its self though.

lillefix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 lillefix
Member since 2005 • 107 Posts

And why exactly should anyone care about the attachment rate to the computers? It's not a console(Not that see the point with reference to consoles either, I thought hard numbers were all that mattered).

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 dgsag

[QUOTE="APOLLOCJD"]I don't think PC game is dyin but I do think just a little over a million is a sad figure when your compairing it to the Xbox 360 or anything other console with a much smaller install base. But again piracy has ALOT to do with that...lillefix

And why exactly should anyone care about the attachment rate to the computers? It's not a console(Not that see the point with reference to consoles either, I thought hard numbers were all that mattered).

Yeah, the cows and the lems do anything to spin these things, even though their "proof" that PC gaming is dying slowly evaporates day by day.

VirtuaCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 VirtuaCast
Member since 2008 • 840 Posts

I don't know what is more pathetic. Fanboys saying PC gaming is dying or fanboys constantly saying PC gaming is not dying.yellowandmushy

This is system Wars every one says so and so is dying game over ha ha. Defiantly fanboys constantly saying PC gaming is not dying is pretty bad here. It's like they think we really believe that PC gaming is dieing so they have to scold us. Actually it seems some of them do think think PC gaming diminishing in the way some react.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I thought it was worth my $30. ;) dgsag

You are lucky, I wasted $80 on that mediocre garbage. Got a cool figurine out of it though so it wasn't all loss.

I was one of the Million.

Have to say post meeting Ryan the game went downhill. Damn the ending sucked.

Still a great game though.

skrat_01

Both endings sucked and the majority of the build up to those endings pretty much sucked. The gameplay was atrociously boring as well. I would rather they had just made System Shock 3 and appealed to the SS fans instead of simplifying it for the wider audience.