Biggest culprits of games that achieved success by dumbing down the genre.

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Bioshock, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are the worst culprits imo. It is a darn shame how hey wrecked those franchises but all anyone wants these days are things handed to them on a plate.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Just list all of the most popular gaming franchises.... that will be your answer on SW.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 h575309

Scratch what I just said. List PC franchise that has now made it to consoles. Thats your real answer according to SW. Well really just hermits.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
Bioshock, i hated that game with a passion. How on Earth were people such suckers for the things it did? Atmosphere? Scares? Story? Are you kidding me?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Scratch what I just said. List PC franchise that has now made it to consoles. Thats your real answer according to SW. Well really just hermits.

h575309

not really.

Sea Dogs, Deus Ex, Thief, SWAT, Dreamfall...just some examples of Ips that did move to consoles, did get dumbed down, but failed to achieve success :)

Fetus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Fetus5
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

World of Warcraft is definitely the biggest culprit.

I don't blame Blizzard though, MMO developers of late have been making the most rudimentary exercises into unecessarily difficult and time consuming tasks.

IronBass

What did WoW "dumb down"? WoW made MMOs accesible for most gamers, something that is a huge requirement for a "Massive Multiplayer" game. Its success is based on how easy it's to start on it and how complex it gets later. It's a very smart design for its genre.

first off its a mmorpg big difference you ever play everquest, SGW pre NGE, Final Fantasy XI They used to have prema Death

the time it takes to get to level 20 in wow would be equal to maybe 5 levels in a lot of mmorpgs

WoW was not what made mmorpgs accesible for most gamers (50$ + monthly fees)infact other then making it easy enough for a larger market, high pricedAds, and Friends that refused to play anything else are whatdrew the Large Large Population.

Example Take 2 ofany online only games

They are both free and awsome

but Nobody you know plays Game A

whileon Game B your friends are waiting to play with you

What game are you gunna play?

gonzalezj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 gonzalezj1
Member since 2004 • 1965 Posts
[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="IronBass"] What did WoW "dumb down"? WoW made MMOs accesible for most gamers, something that is a huge requirement for a "Massive Multiplayer" game. Its success is based on how easy it's to start on it and how complex it gets later. It's a very smart design for its genre.sSubZerOo
Please, WoWs end game is neither complex or even the best of its genre. most of the classes are now carbon copies of eachother, theres no need for setups, Final Fantasy 11's combat is more complex and rewarded beneath the surface (im ofc talking end game).

FFXI hardest part ist he time sink, this isn't defending WoW but seriously FFXI? The vast majority of MMOs main difficulty is time needed.. This includes FFXI, or even old juggernauts like EQ.. I can only think of one game I have read about that actualy seems to be more skill based and thats Eve Online though I have never played it... Though obviously it has to go to Beth and their Oblivion, one of the largest over-rated PoS games of all time imo.

I've never understood why so many people think WOW is dumbed down. In my opinion, it's just easier to play because the UI is much more intuitive than most - gameplay in general in more intuitive, I think. If someone could explain exactly what is dumbed down, I would be happy to listen.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

[QUOTE="h575309"]

AdrianWerner

not really.

Sea Dogs, Deus Ex, Thief, SWAT, Dreamfall...just some examples of Ips that did move to consoles, did get dumbed down, but failed to achieve success :)

SWAT? Really? I have to dissagree on that one. The originals played like a laser disc game.

Fetus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Fetus5
Member since 2008 • 366 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Birdy09"] Please, WoWs end game is neither complex or even the best of its genre. most of the classes are now carbon copies of eachother, theres no need for setups, Final Fantasy 11's combat is more complex and rewarded beneath the surface (im ofc talking end game).gonzalezj1
FFXI hardest part ist he time sink, this isn't defending WoW but seriously FFXI? The vast majority of MMOs main difficulty is time needed.. This includes FFXI, or even old juggernauts like EQ.. I can only think of one game I have read about that actualy seems to be more skill based and thats Eve Online though I have never played it... Though obviously it has to go to Beth and their Oblivion, one of the largest over-rated PoS games of all time imo.

I've never understood why so many people think WOW is dumbed down. In my opinion, it's just easier to play because the UI is much more intuitive than most - gameplay in general in more intuitive, I think. If someone could explain exactly what is dumbed down, I would be happy to listen.

what are you comparing WOW to have you played any other mmorpgs?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="IronBass"] What did WoW "dumb down"? WoW made MMOs accesible for most gamers, something that is a huge requirement for a "Massive Multiplayer" game. Its success is based on how easy it's to start on it and how complex it gets later. It's a very smart design for its genre.sSubZerOo
Please, WoWs end game is neither complex or even the best of its genre. most of the classes are now carbon copies of eachother, theres no need for setups, Final Fantasy 11's combat is more complex and rewarded beneath the surface (im ofc talking end game).

Final Fantasy 11 was a struggle even leveling, yes the time sinks were unforgivable and is the main reason i prefer WoW over it, but Final Fantasy 14 is abolishing that, while keeping the combat complexity that FF11 had. there was need for class synergy for more than pathetic mana/health regen and DPS increase. Skill chain timings were a core part of the experiance aswell, the pacing of the combat. The different variety of status effects and AoEs that actually made a difference in boss fights. WoW is just ... target the boss, dodge the fire, spam your DPS HPS or roll your face for Agro... other than avoiding things it is a very basic combat experiance. It works no doubt ... but complex? haha .. no.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

This game made the masses think they like RPGs. But when a deeper RPG comes out, such as The Witcher or Drakensang, most of those "Oblivionites" hate it because it's too complicated and spread the word those games aren't good.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
resident evil 5 nearly killed resident evil
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
The 3 most guilty of this are: BioShock Oblivion Rainbow Six: Vegas
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

There's several things that are annoying about what's going on in this thread. The first is that no one has bothered to come up with an operational definition of "dumbed down". I suppose the op should have done that. The second is that no one feels that it's necessary to explain why they feel as though a game has been dumbed down. There's obviously going to be some contention - you need to defend your position.gonzalezj1

I'm guessing "dumbing down" here refers to the removal of complex gameplay mechanics in favour of appealing to a more casual audience.

The hurted PC gamers because of what Halo "did" to FPS, the SS2 fans hurted by Bioshock, the Fallout fans angry at Beth.. It's just too much fun :lol:IronBass

Hm, what part of it is fun? It's not just the PC gamers that are "hurted", it's all gamers who love complex games - the fact that much of the dumbing down occurs when series go multiplat isn't totally relevant to this thread.

Oh, and this thread isn't controversial enough. Let's go with...Star Wars: KOTOR. The hugely successful roleplaying game that had the absolute bare minimum of roleplaying - the only meaningful choice in the entire game is made before you start playing, where you decide to either get the good ending or the bad one.

I loved the game, but it wasn't exactly complex.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#65 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

Bioshock achieved success by being in every way inferior version of System Shock 2, made almost 10 years later.

IronBass

It also scored higher. Difficult to say it's an inferior version of SS2.

Yes because higher review scores = more complex game.

Bioshock is the System Shock 2 for the casual generation.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 AdrianWerner

SWAT? Really? I have to dissagree on that one. The originals played like a laser disc game.

DaBrainz

Umm... I was talking about console SWAT games; SWAT : Global Strike team for Xbox and PS2, which was actualy quite good, but still dumbed down compared to SWAT3 and it flopped sales-wise compared to SWAT3. And then Sierra made SWAT: Target Liberty for PSP, top down shooter...this was not only dumbed down like hell, but unlike GlobalStrike Team it was also horrible game on it;s own

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Bioshock, Deus Ex:Invisible War, and Thief 3 all come to mind.

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#68 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Surprised no one said Resident Evil 5. Although it was fun it really seemed pretty dumbed down.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Bioshock, i hated that game with a passion. How on Earth were people such suckers for the things it did? Atmosphere? Scares? Story? Are you kidding me?-Pred-Alien-
I would have been so lost without that arrow.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"] That's just a stereotype IMO. For example, The Wii easily has the most complex and hardcore shooter of any platform.Fried_Shrimp

Lol what is this magical shooter?

Corruption.

Lmao you're trying too hard. Seriously sheep accept what you have.

DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
The Battlefield series. DICE.
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

Bioshock achieved success by being in every way inferior version of System Shock 2, made almost 10 years later.

HenriH-42

SS1 was for the very true hardcore though. SS2 was a dumbed down SS1 for the casual generation of the time. SS1 was way hardcore, so hardcore and non-casual friendly that they closed down Looking Glass studio's because the devs themself didnt feel hardcore enough.
Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
[QUOTE="Fetus5"]

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"]

Lol what is this magical shooter?Birdy09
Corruption.

What! you joking right?

easily most Complex and Hardcore shooter?

WoW i Guess i could see someone thinking that after playing wii sports and mario kart for a year of two.

I'm more into The Witcher and Planescape Torment than Mario Kart and Wii Sports. Metroid is complex. You just HAVEN'T PLAYED IT.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 h575309
[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

and More complex game= better game, of course.....
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I would say many games have done this as listed, ironically I would say most of those said titles also played a lot better than those before them.

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts
[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] It also scored higher. Difficult to say it's an inferior version of SS2.h575309

and More complex game= better game, of course.....

of course. the thicker the manual the more hardcore the game. you ask any hardcore gamer
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 h575309
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="h575309"]

not really.

Well this thread has just turned into a PC elitist thread anyway. Everything on consoles is so dumbed down and PC has the most complex and amazing games. I cant play any console games anyway because theyre just so simplistic, I cant stand them. Obviously.
jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
This thread will become a "let's hate popular games" thread.IronBass
A lot of "hardcore" gamers are misfits, and seem to believe if a game is popular, it is automatically trash... Quite strange really.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] Lol what is this magical shooter?blue_hazy_basic

Corruption.

Lmao you're trying too hard. Seriously sheep accept what you have.

Like I stated before, corruption is more complex by default because shooters are not complex by design. Infact, I would say that the metroid series was dumbed down by corruption because its moreshooter and less adventure.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

AdrianWerner

Umm... I was talking about console SWAT games; SWAT : Global Strike team for Xbox and PS2, which was actualy quite good, but still dumbed down compared to SWAT3 and it flopped sales-wise compared to SWAT3. And then Sierra made SWAT: Target Liberty for PSP, top down shooter...this was not only dumbed down like hell, but unlike GlobalStrike Team it was also horrible game on it;s own

My point was that SWAT cannot be dumbed down when the original was an interactive movie and is already the lowest common denominator when it comes to complex gameplay (unless you consider dragons lair complex gameplay).

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Hey, they may have dumbed them down, but they did so by removing some of the crapiest elements from the predessecors. Peoples love for the awful combat in the original Fallout AND Morrowindstill annoys me to no end. I don't care if its your opinion, it dosn't even make sense. There's only so much you can do with a gun, and for that reason it's best to wield it in realtime, and when my crosshair aligns perfectly with a target I expect them to feel pain.

Ghost Recon was dumbed down, and I thought it was worse because it removed elements that made the originalGhost Recon alot morefun. For whatever reason I did not like GRAW that much. It would have been nice to be able to switch characters for a start though. They just removed the tactical elements andmade a game which was like GeoW, but not as good.

Also Dreamfall does not compre to The Longest Journey, but I doubt either were all that succesfull.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 WasntAvailable

This game made the masses think they like RPGs. But when a deeper RPG comes out, such as The Witcher or Drakensang, most of those "Oblivionites" hate it because it's too complicated and spread the word those games aren't good.

RyuRanVII

"Oblivionlites"? Oh dear.

On the subject of The Witcher much of that was a dumbed down version of Neverwinter Nights. They ripped off so many elements from it, andthey simplified alot of it. It was also a much better game, just as Oblivion was a better game than Morrowind.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
Nintendo
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Planeforger

Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Hey, they may have dumbed them down, but they did so by removing some of the crapiest elements from the predessecors. Peoples love for the awful combat in the original Fallout AND Morrowindstill annoys me to no end. I don't care if its your opinion, it dosn't even make sense. There's only so much you can do with a gun, and for that reason it's best to wield it in realtime, and when my crosshair aligns perfectly with a target I expect them to feel pain.WasntAvailable

I'll agree that Oblivion's combat is more 'fun' than its predecessors (but not with Fallout 3), but that's not really the point.

The old combat systems worked because they revolved around what your characters were capable of. Your feeble mage shouldn't be able to fight things effectively with a sword - in Morrowind this worked by making your mage basically unable to hit anything (which made the combat 'dull', I guess) - but in Oblivion (which relied totally on player skill) the only difference between the untrained mage and the highly buffed warrior was damage (and a few useless skills). The same goes for Fallout.

The old systems might not be as exciting as the new ones, but they actually made sense and gave your characters a meaningful difference, as well as adding depth to the combat. The new system just means that all of your characters are basically the same, which some of us find boring.

Also Dreamfall does not compre to The Longest Journey, but I doubt either were all that succesfull.WasntAvailable

Ooh, interesting choice. Dreamfall was heavily dumbed down, but at least the writing and characters were much better than TLJ, so I probably ended up loving it even more.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts

Deus Ex 2. I win :P

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
No wait, Halo Wars! yeah that was dumbed down for obvious reasons (although some console fans REALLY liked it because it made them feel cweverer). Bethesda post morrowind, CoD4.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Hey, they may have dumbed them down, but they did so by removing some of the crapiest elements from the predessecors. Peoples love for the awful combat in the original Fallout AND Morrowindstill annoys me to no end. I don't care if its your opinion, it dosn't even make sense. There's only so much you can do with a gun, and for that reason it's best to wield it in realtime, and when my crosshair aligns perfectly with a target I expect them to feel pain.Planeforger

I'll agree that Oblivion's combat is more 'fun' than its predecessors (but not with Fallout 3), but that's not really the point.

The old combat systems worked because they revolved around what your characters were capable of. Your feeble mage shouldn't be able to fight things effectively with a sword - in Morrowind this worked by making your mage basically unable to hit anything (which made the combat 'dull', I guess) - but in Oblivion (which relied totally on player skill) the only difference between the untrained mage and the highly buffed warrior was damage (and a few useless skills). The same goes for Fallout.

The old systems might not be as exciting as the new ones, but they actually made sense and gave your characters a meaningful difference, as well as adding depth to the combat. The new system just means that all of your characters are basically the same, which some of us find boring.

I gotta say that a mage could probably hit someone witha sword, hr/she just might not swing it as hard. It "missing" by going through the thing right in front of you in Morrowind (especially for ranged combat :|) was not what I would say "made sense".

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Planeforger

I gotta say that a mage could probably hit someone witha sword, hr/she just might not swing it as hard. It "missing" by going through the thing right in front of you in Morrowind (especially for ranged combat :|) was not what I would say "made sense".

-RPGamer-

Hm...yeah, you're right. I take that back, although I still think it was necessary from a gameplay perspective (to make your stats meaningful).

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

Planeforger

Hm...yeah, you're right. I take that back, although I still think it was necessary from a gameplay perspective (to make your stats meaningful).

Completely agree, there has got to be a happy medium of good gameplay with stats playing a heavy role.

Avatar image for cheapfghtghfdgd
cheapfghtghfdgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 cheapfghtghfdgd
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts
halo made aim assist standard for console shooters ruined the fps genre.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 WasntAvailable

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Hey, they may have dumbed them down, but they did so by removing some of the crapiest elements from the predessecors. Peoples love for the awful combat in the original Fallout AND Morrowindstill annoys me to no end. I don't care if its your opinion, it dosn't even make sense. There's only so much you can do with a gun, and for that reason it's best to wield it in realtime, and when my crosshair aligns perfectly with a target I expect them to feel pain.Planeforger

Also Dreamfall does not compre to The Longest Journey, but I doubt either were all that succesfull.WasntAvailable

Ooh, interesting choice. Dreamfall was heavily dumbed down, but at least the writing and characters were much better than TLJ, so I probably ended up loving it even more.

What? I liked Dreamfall and I liked it's writing, but you thought it was better than TLJ? Never heard that before, I much prefered TLJ, and I played it backwards.

Neverwinter Nights had a combat system that made sense. It was both entertaining and had depth. The original Fallout combat system had neither. Even if you sacrifice some of the depth of gameplay in order to make it more fun, I feel that is a worthy sacrifice, espically with Fallout which in my opinion was inexcusably bad because it sacrificed gameplay in order to replace it with atificial depth. Also Oblvion wouldn't have had that problem if it wasn't for the level scalling. It still never bothered me much, because I never found Fallout or Morrowind challenging past for the first hour. I do miss the awesome spells from Morrowind though.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

Call of Duty, Oh, my, god.

samuraiguns
Really? I loved Call of Duty 1 and Modern Warfare. The rest were just okay. But anyway, my vote goes to Halo 2. I LOVED Halo 1, and it's still my favorite game. But Halo 2 took a step backwards in alot of ways to appeal to the masses, mainly casuals.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

DaBrainz

My point was that SWAT cannot be dumbed down when the original was an interactive movie and is already the lowest common denominator when it comes to complex gameplay (unless you consider dragons lair complex gameplay).

Well...it wasn't even in the same genre as SWAT3 and 4. Plus really...why can't I say a game is dumbed down when it's simplier than it's two predecessors, just because the initial game in the series was simplier?

But if you want to be so anal about it..then the game you're complaining about was called Police Quest: SWAT. And there have been 4 PoliceQuests games before it, each one a lot more complex than it. Thus your logic can't be applied here :)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AdrianWerner

Well this thread has just turned into a PC elitist thread anyway. Everything on consoles is so dumbed down and PC has the most complex and amazing games. I cant play any console games anyway because theyre just so simplistic, I cant stand them. Obviously.h575309
There's nothing to get angry about. it's a simple fact that on average PCgames are deeper and more complex than console ones. But this doesn't make them better, just different, that's all.

I don't mind simplier games and I would hope the idiotic idea "I play simple games therefore I'm dumb" is long dead. What I hate however is taking an established PC franchise and then dumbing it down, destroying all that was good about it. Such game can be good on it's own, but it's terrible sequel and not what fans want. It would just make a lot more sense to make a brand new game instead of turning the IP on it;s head

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 AdrianWerner

Metroid is complex. You just HAVEN'T PLAYED IT.Fried_Shrimp
It is, but "most complex and hardcore"? Not even close

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
But I guess ignoring reality is one way to cope with that AdrianWerner
Just asking, what reality have I "ignored"?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]Umm... I was talking about console SWAT games; SWAT : Global Strike team for Xbox and PS2, which was actualy quite good, but still dumbed down compared to SWAT3 and it flopped sales-wise compared to SWAT3. And then Sierra made SWAT: Target Liberty for PSP, top down shooter...this was not only dumbed down like hell, but unlike GlobalStrike Team it was also horrible game on it;s own

AdrianWerner

Well...it wasn't even in the same genre as SWAT3 and 4. But if you want to be so anal about it..then the game you're complaining about was called Police Quest: SWAT. And there have been 4 PoliceQuests games before it, each one a lot more complex than it. Thus your logic can't be applied here :)

SWAT was a spin off and had nothing to do with my beloved police quest point and clickers. Sierra used to be so great:cry:. For whom the bell tolls...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

"Oblivionlites"? Oh dear.

On the subject of The Witcher much of that was a dumbed down version of Neverwinter Nights. They ripped off so many elements from it, andthey simplified alot of it. It was also a much better game, just as Oblivion was a better game than Morrowind.

Ummm NWN uses the 3rd edition dnd ruleset.. It doesn't rip off or dumbed down version from it.. Infact I thought the Witcher to be far more indepth than NWN..
washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

Fallout 3

oblivion

halo 2

doom 3

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 h575309

[QUOTE="h575309"] Well this thread has just turned into a PC elitist thread anyway. Everything on consoles is so dumbed down and PC has the most complex and amazing games. I cant play any console games anyway because theyre just so simplistic, I cant stand them. Obviously.AdrianWerner

There's nothing to get angry about. it's a simple fact that on average PCgames are deeper and more complex than console ones. But this doesn't make them better, just different, that's all.

I don't mind simplier games and I would hope the idiotic idea "I play simple games therefore I'm dumb" is long dead. What I hate however is taking an established PC franchise and then dumbing it down, destroying all that was good about it. Such game can be good on it's own, but it's terrible sequel and not what fans want. It would just make a lot more sense to make a brand new game instead of turning the IP on it;s head

Thats what is inferred. And I agree, playing alot of RPGs or playing RTS's are much more involved, simply because theres alot more to learn. But many PC elitists think that makes them better games. Which is not true. I just dont hold a bias against any form of video games, I pretty much enjoy every genre, and am really starting to get into RTS and am looking forward to Star Wars: TOR. I just get annoyed when PC elitists claim that consoles are ruining gaming, and ruining PC games. There are still plenty of PC gamer-focused games that dont come to consoles, so I think they should just pipe down about it. :)