Big screen gaming does size matter to you?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I play PC games on a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor and they look fantastic.

I play PS4 and Xbox One games on a 46 inch 1080P HDTV and they look fantastic too.

If you ask me which I prefer I'd say it depends on the game. For strategy games and CRPG's I usually prefer playing on the PC monitor.

For almost everything else I want a BIG screen it's so much more atmospheric and immersive.

I get that console gamers will be playing on a TV, probably a big one, but most PC gamers seem obsessed with playing in the highest resolution possible therefore the vast majority of modern HDTV's are out and they are playing on a monitor which is always going to be smaller. This to me is completely nuts.

I would like to ask the PC gamers who keep bleating on about 4K what monitor they are playing on and if the res increase is worth losing the screen space. I can't believe everyone has one of the few 4K TV's that accept PC input though if they all claim to have one I will just have to accept it.

I accept you are on top of a monitor pretty much when playing so you feel closer to the action and I CAN see the attraction for that as that is how I played games for many years but now, for me nothing beats a big TV screen specially for games with a lot of cinematics which let's face it is most of them these days.

Anyway I'm just putting this out there to see what people think. I'm not trying to start a PC v Console flame war I'm just curious. I particularly would like to hear from people who, like me, have a choice: big screen TV or very good higher res smaller screen, to see which you prefer.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

i play them mainly on my 55" sammy...this one to be exact http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F7100AFXZA

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Not to go SolidTy here, but I have and game on:

A 130 inch projector

A 50 inch TV

A 40 inch TV

Various handhelds

I can't game on the original DS or DS Lite. < 3 inch screens are hard to use nowadays, so I got a DSi XL for that. Otherwise, screen size doesn't matter, though I specifically played The Order on my projector, despite being 720p, because the black bars were shit.

I did get a Note 3 on purpose because I consume media on my phone a lot.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueinheaven

@Blabadon said:

A 130 inch projector

A 50 inch TV

A 40 inch TV

Various handhelds

I can't game on the original DS or DS Lite. < 3 inch screens are hard to use nowadays, so I got a DSi XL for that. Otherwise, screen size doesn't matter, though I specifically played The Order on my projector, despite being 720p, because the black bars were shit.

I did get a Note 3 on purpose because I consume media on my phone a lot.

Do you mostly game on console? My question is kind of aimed at people who play on both console and PC as if you play on console you're playing on a TV anyway.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

It's all about how far away you are. I have a 65" lcd in my bedroom...it's probably overkill because I can't see the whole picture without moving my eyes pretty far, and you can see the pixels when pretty close (1080p)

my 1440 27" looks the same size because I'm close, and has far better fidelity.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Rofl.

On Topic: I have a 52" 1080p plasma 1440p 27" monitor. I play at 1080p though because my GPU can't drive non-indies at 1440p. Someday though....

As for handhelds I prefer smaller form factors. The N3DSXL is nice but I would much rather had gotten the N3DS. XL is just too big for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Quality is the most important. Right now I use a Sony KDL-32W650A. Great colors and motion for a non plasma--the dang thing shipped calibrated. It still loses a touch of detail because of the black levels/contrast ratio, but it is probably the most well rounded set in its class I've ever seen.

I do think size can add a little something extra though, given the game you are playing. If you are also a fan of audio like myself, then you got to have a big picture to go along with the big sound. Even though I use a pair of SennheiserHD600s with the Sony right now, I still prefer the sound coming at me vs directly into my ear. There's simply a greater immersion when you are sitting in a sweet spot and encompassed by the picture and surrounded by sound.

....oh and displays with input lag. All lcds have it and a big yuck to those wishy washy pc gaming monitors that attempt to make trade offs in picture quality for the faster tn panels.....and lol at the 4k ones with those grey blacks that rape the image of the detail regardless of resolution. Better off with CRT.

CRT IS KING.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

smaller screen is fine if I'm sitting closer to it, I personally prefer to sit closer to a smaller screen than further away from a bigger one

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blueinheaven

@demi0227_basic said:

It's all about how far away you are. I have a 65" lcd in my bedroom...it's probably overkill because I can't see the whole picture without moving my eyes pretty far, and you can see the pixels when pretty close (1080p)

Do you play games on the 1440 and see a cinematic and wish it was on the 65 lcd? lol, that is my problem at the moment though obviously my consoles are always plugged into the TV the PC is always on my monitor and sometimes I play games and with they were BIG. It might be because I've been a PC gamer for so long and I'm used to a smaller screen maybe it's a novelty I just don't know.

@inb4uall said:

@Blabadon said:

Rofl.

On Topic: I have a 52" 1080p plasma 1440p 27" monitor. I play at 1080p though because my GPU can't drive non-indies at 1440p. Someday though....

Or you could just plug your PC into the 52 inch plasma? I bet the games would look great. Windows would blow chunks though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#10 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

PC a 27 inch 1440. Console is 55" HDTV. Both are great, I have fun, I am happy.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Do you play games on the 1440 and see a cinematic and wish it was on the 65 lcd? lol, that is my problem at the moment though obviously my consoles are always plugged into the TV the PC is always on my monitor and sometimes I play games and with they were BIG. It might be because I've been a PC gamer for so long and I'm used to a smaller screen maybe it's a novelty I just don't know.

@inb4uall said:

@Blabadon said:

Rofl.

Or you could just plug your PC into the 52 inch plasma? I bet the games would look great. Windows would blow chunks though.

Then I would have to move my tower to my living room. The games I play on PC are things like Torchlight II, Terraria, or Nuclear Throne. They're much better suited to mouse and keyboard. They also aren't particularly demanding and I can run them at 1440p 60fps.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@blueinheaven: I mostly game on handhelds, but more consoles lately since my wife is using my Vita.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blueinheaven

@Blabadon said:

@blueinheaven: I mostly game on handhelds, but more consoles lately since my wife is using my Vita.

I went on a car trip to the north of England with my partner a while back. Her daughter lent me her 3DS (I don't have any handhelds I hate them usually). I couldn't see the fucking thing properly because it was too sunny so whatever version of Kingdom Hearts I was meant to be playing was lost to me.

Handhelds, a cautionary tale.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I play all my games on a 32 inch HDTV....and the PC games look great as well as the PS4 games.

I will say that I played Uncharted 3 on a 50 inch or something and it looked pretty bad....then I played it on like a 23 inch and it looked good.

1080p and 900p are fine with me....for the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I play the consoles (PS3,PS4,X360,XBONE,WiiU) on a 70" Sharp and most games look rough at that screen size. I sit about 8-10 feet away and jaggies are very visible. The DriveClub, The Order 1886, Ryse and Forza Horizon 2 I see is very different from those gifs floating around the internet. Good thing I'm not a graphics whore and can get past some jaggies and muddy textures. I'm about to switch my 65" Samsung to the game room and 70" Sharp to the Living Room when the new house is built. Maybe that will make a little difference.

All the retro consoles are on a 60" Sony projection TV and that thing is perfect for the old consoles. I play PC games on a 27" 1440p panel. That thing looks beautiful but I wish it was a little larger.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I'd rather game on a good quality PC monitor rather than a massive TV.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blueinheaven

@Heirren said:

Quality is the most important. Right now I use a Sony KDL-32W650A. Great colors and motion for a non plasma--the dang thing shipped calibrated. It still loses a touch of detail because of the black levels/contrast ratio, but it is probably the most well rounded set in its class I've ever seen.

I do think size can add a little something extra though, given the game you are playing. If you are also a fan of audio like myself, then you got to have a big picture to go along with the big sound. Even though I use a pair of SennheiserHD600s with the Sony right now, I still prefer the sound coming at me vs directly into my ear. There's simply a greater immersion when you are sitting in a sweet spot and encompassed by the picture and surrounded by sound.

....oh and displays with input lag. All lcds have it and a big yuck to those wishy washy pc gaming monitors that attempt to make trade offs in picture quality for the faster tn panels.....and lol at the 4k ones with those grey blacks that rape the image of the detail regardless of resolution. Better off with CRT.

CRT IS KING.

Couple of replies that weren't here when I last refreshed. I agree audio adds so much I have good sound gear downstairs but had to buy a soundbar for the bedroom because the sound was awful. A big screen adds to the immersion as much for me as sound though. It makes games feel kind of cinematic though not in the lameass way Ubisoft mean... obviously...

4K is still a gaming enigma it seems, it will be a long time before they get that right and down to a reasonable price level.

@lamprey263 said:

smaller screen is fine if I'm sitting closer to it, I personally prefer to sit closer to a smaller screen than further away from a bigger one

I can completely understand that, I was the same for the longest time. Divinity OS I could never play on a big screen, some games it will always be that way. Pillars of Eternity will probably be the same.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@demi0227_basic said:

@inb4uall said:

@Blabadon said:

Rofl.

I do wish my tv had more pixels...My monitor is more "cinematic" to me, just because the screen is right in my face, opposed to across a room.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I play all my games on my 32in 1080p Bravia. I sit about a foot away from it so it looks huge. lol

I do have a nice 23in led backlit display that I used to use for Civ, but I havent really played that in some time.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@clyde46 said:

I'd rather game on a good quality PC monitor rather than a massive TV.

same. And a high refresh rate is a must for me now as well.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I have a 40 inch tv that I do all my gaming on. I have very bad eyesight so I sit close 40 inch seems the optimal size for me. I would rather have something that is comfortable for me so if I have to sacrifice a little resolution or whatever I will.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I have my Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Wii U hooked up to my 55" Samsung UN55H6300AF, the other 9 consoles you can see to the left are hooked up to my 34" Toshiba 34HDX82 running through a switch box with upscalers.

Everything looks fantastic on both TV's.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@nyadc said:

I have my Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Wii U hooked up to my 55" Samsung UN55H6300AF, the other 9 consoles you can see to the left are hooked up to my 34" Toshiba 34HDX82 running through a switch box with upscalers.

Member since 1990? That's impressive considering the site started in 1996.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

it makes a HUGE difference. no matter how close you sit to your gaming monitor, a 65 inch big screen tv makes all the difference. sit back in your couch, lounging from 10 feet away and STILL being blown away by an awesome game, sweetness.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@nyadc said:

Member since 1990? That's impressive considering the site started in 1996.

I've been here since the 90's, the issue is my join date is so far back it's not actually in the database due to being issued before they were logged.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Depends on the distance.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

to me is all about the distance really. Using good headphones, that's what really makes me feel immersed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

I have my Xbox One hooked up to a 55'' Panasonic ST50 in the living room, but I currently don't have any games for it, I've played games on my Panasonic, and it certainly looks nice; with it being calibrated and all, but I mainly use it to watch movies. I have a Plex account, so I just transfer all my movies over and send it to the Xbox One. In my room though, I have my PC hooked up to my 27'' Qnix, playing games on this set looks amazing, I love my monitor, and like @Gue1 says, playing with my headphones, I feel immersed in my games. Also, @nyadc nice setup man!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I game on my Samsung 40" tv

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

IDGAF as long as i can see who is an enemy i am OK!

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I have a 32" 1440p monitor and a 50" 1080p TV. The monitor seems just as big really as I'm sat right in front of it. I don't think one looks amazingly better than the other really but the new monitor looks better than my old 27" 1080p one. I guess because I'm further away from the TV the res makes less of a difference (I don't have the best eyesight at a distance either).

I've had ample chance to rush out and get a bigger TV but I don't want console games to look worse. They tend to look pretty crap on my mates 65".

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#32 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

keep a 47" 1080p 3D attached via HDMI for action games and the few others that respond better with a gamepad.

just about anything else i prefer a keyboard and mouse and keep those running on a 27" 1080p 3D via DVI-D.

either display @ 1440>1080p D\VSR makes all the games look better but definitely more clear on the smaller, faster, better calibrated 27".

next step is 32" 120hz 1440 or 2160.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The bigger the Screen, the more awesome it is.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I've been spoiled by my 50 inch Samsung, last Gen was 32inches, this Gen I upgraded to 50 and there is no going back for me, bigger means more immersion ....but I like sitting close to the TV so I don't think I would want higher than 50

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Size does matter.....I play my consoles and my PC on my 55" Samsung and I love it.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

I spend about 70% of my time gaming on a 130" 1080p projector but I will upgrade that to a 130" 4k projector in the next couple of years, along with that upgrade I will also get a 4k capable PC to go with my consoles. For the time being my PC gaming is done on a laptop for specific games like Cities Skylines, Civ V and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity but when I get the new projector and PC I will spend 95% of my time gaming on the big screen.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I had a 42" HDTV but switched it with the livingroom one. So now I've got a 32" HDTV.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I basically like to have the biggest TV screen I can get for the distance I sit from it... which is currently a Sony 50" LED/LCD.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

22" Monitor for PC

42" and 46" for the Xbox Ones

I still want to see what it is like gaming on a 80" screen though.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

yes it does. I have a 65, 42 and 37. Once I got the 65 inches, I can't go back to the 42 inches one in my bed room!

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 legendary70
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

70 inches, 240 hz, 1080p of non-stop action................Hell yeah it matters........

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

I've been playing on my 32 inch LG to since 07 but it recently went faulty so I ordered a Samsung ue48h6410

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

27 is my minimum while 32 is my max for monitors.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

On PC you're usually about 1.5-2 ft away from the monitor. I lay in bed and am 9-10 ft from my 40". Admittedly I can't make out all the details if there is something really small on screen ala Diablo 3:UEE.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 elessarGObonzo
@FoxbatAlpha said:
I still want to see what it is like gaming on a 80" screen though.

maybe when we all get to 2160 that will be viable. i can imagine now though you'd have to be pretty damn far away for the blurriness of 80' stretched 1080 to dissipate.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By elessarGObonzo
@legendary70 said:

70 inches, 240 hz, 1080p of non-stop action................Hell yeah it matters........

it sucks though these HDTVs "lie" to us about their 120\240hz capabilities. they are not truly rendering 120 or 240 separate frames per second. they are usually displaying the same frames multiple times just to increase the fluidity of the overall video. all this does is fill in the gaps between frames that we would get with a lower 60hz display.

even many of the monitors over 1080p claiming over 60hz are using this same type of rendering or "overclocking" as they sometimes put it. just filling in gaps with the same frames multiple times.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Plasma Master Race

LOL LCD LOL

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

I game on both PC and consol, but for me it is also about the sound. No matter how good your PC speakers might be.....they are not close to a home theater system.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I've never played on anything over 720p

#CollegeLife