Best storyline so far this gen?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Mass Effect & The Witcher had some deep stories for sure.

I'd definately say MGS4 if I played it :(

ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
BioShock.
Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts

SPOILERS IN THIS POST

1) Mass Effect has movie quality script and numerous plot twists that keep you interested with a huge universe filled with tons of lore and things to do.

(Reaper is the ship) (Citadel relay) (Reaper/prothean revelation) (Wrex dead) (Wrex/Krogan story)

(Relay monument in citadel was a working mass relay) (etc etc etc)

2) Bioshock has a good story with great atmosphere, one predictable plot twist and a crappy illusion of choice that only effects the final cutscene.

(Whole atlas would you kindly brain washy thing was pretty obvious after a little while)

3) MGS4 is a fun game but Im not really into the story, from what ive watched friends play ive gathered that it has some structure but is diluted by some bad writing and rehashed plotpoints.

(Don't know why this game is praised so much)

Ok, So Mass Effect is #1 for me, Bioshock is overrated and im holding judgement on MGS4 because I havent played any of them all the way through.

Eclipse_V2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Eclipse_V2
Member since 2008 • 213 Posts
LO
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

From this gen, the game that stood out to me was Lost Odyessy.

The story itself was not as epic or original as some of the greats of the older gaming days, but the way the story is told, the development of the characters, and the absolutely beautiful Thousand Year Dreams are extremely well done, and many times will leave you with a tear in your eye or a smile on your face. Brilliant storytelling top to bottom.

Mass Effect was also good, although I think the game and the story are far from Bioware's best work.

I also enjoyed Uncharted, and thats kinna odd for me, I'm usually more of an epic RPG type player. Uncharted was well told, well acted, and moved along at a pace that got you hooked and never let go. The story was somewhat cliche, but done very well, and had enough personality to keep it fresh and interesting. Reminded me a hell of alot of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Bioshock was terrible, the storyline was beyond predictable, and there was no atmosphere whatsover. It almost offends me when they praise that crap so much.

SS2 takes a crap all over it

ReturnOfShinobi
Um the game basically was System Shock 2 in terms of story.

Same twist and everything

Just a different skin

ANd the game was atmospheric as hell.
Avatar image for ReturnOfShinobi
ReturnOfShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ReturnOfShinobi
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts
[QUOTE="ReturnOfShinobi"]

Bioshock was terrible, the storyline was beyond predictable, and there was no atmosphere whatsover. It almost offends me when they praise that crap so much.

jg4xchamp

Just a different skin

I played SS2 in late 06, yet i felt like the game world was far more real than Bioshock. Also, SHODAN was a truely a great antagonist, even though the same twist happens in SS1, you were truely shocked when *SPOILER* reveals herself, and all of it happens early in the game. And as a result, the game seems believable, the SHODAN that 'guides' you really is somebody who gets to you, and its also somebody you can believe truely acts like that. With *SPOILER* in Bioshock, i was like yeah, okay whatever, get over it, like i didnt see it coming...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jg4xchamp
1- Metal Gear Solid 4- Seriousaly its epic
2- Bioshock- System Shock 2 with a new paint job, but I still love it
3- Grand Theft Auto 4- Great moments, great characters, and just overall very well told
4- Mass Effect- Good storytelling, great characters, great build up, and a very well done Fiction behind the game.
5- Lost Odyssey/The Darkness- Tie. Lost Odyssey just had this oldschool charm to it, but THe Darkness just had this epic comic book flare to it.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Mass Effect has a really good universe with a lot of decent backstory, plus some interesting characters, but the actual story is just silly.

Bioshock also had an awesome setting and backstory, too bad it was exactly the same as System Shock 2, complete with the exact same plot twist.

I vote for Portal, because it has the best absolutely everything.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="ReturnOfShinobi"]

ReturnOfShinobi

Just a different skin

I played SS2 in late 06, yet i felt like the game world was far more real than Bioshock. Also, SHODAN was a truely a great antagonist, even though the same twist happens in SS1, you were truely shocked when *SPOILER* reveals herself, and all of it happens early in the game. And as a result, the game seems believable, the SHODAN that 'guides' you really is somebody who gets to you, and its also somebody you can believe truely acts like that. With *SPOILER* in Bioshock, i was like yeah, okay whatever, get over it, like i didnt see it coming...

Well like i said that was half the problem. It wasn't that Bioshock is its own story. It was System Shock 2. Character for character. Sure there is a different "story" being told. But the basic themes, concepts, and twists are all there.

I enjoyed it alot but I knew from the get go this was basically System Shock 2. But hey to each his own.
sensesxfail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sensesxfail
Member since 2006 • 653 Posts
[QUOTE="sensesxfail"][QUOTE="Exile91"]

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]Mass Effect was spectacular.Exile91

Erm, I don't mean to insult your opinion or anything, but how exactly was it spectacular? I thought the story was pretty boring, with the exception of the ending.

One word.

Reapers.

Oh yeah, true. I guess my main issue with Mass Effect, and most games now in fact, is the lack of character development.

I actually thought there was a lot of character development. At least with your team mates. You could have pretty long conversations with most of them. You even get to go on missions specifically for them. Tali's back story of her homeworld and government was especially interesting. I don't know, i just felt like it was a very well put together story. I mean the last 25% of the game was just epic.

Reapers.

Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Gator08

Mass Effect has a really good universe with a lot of decent backstory, plus some interesting characters, but the actual story is just silly.

Bioshock also had an awesome setting and backstory, too bad it was exactly the same as System Shock 2, complete with the exact same plot twist.

t3hTwinky

I thought the actual story was great! I was jumping at some of the twists. What did you think was silly about it?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jg4xchamp

The story itself was not as epic or original as some of the greats of the older gaming days, but the way the story is told, the development of the characters, and the absolutely beautiful Thousand Year Dreams are extremely well done, and many times will leave you with a tear in your eye or a smile on your face. Brilliant storytelling top to bottom.

Mass Effect was also good, although I think the game and the story are far from Bioware's best work.

I also enjoyed Uncharted, and thats kinna odd for me, I'm usually more of an epic RPG type player. Uncharted was well told, well acted, and moved along at a pace that got you hooked and never let go. The story was somewhat cliche, but done very well, and had enough personality to keep it fresh and interesting. Reminded me a hell of alot of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

evilross
you know what kills that game for me. That Drake is just so corny. When i compare Uncharted to

National Treasure or Raiders of the lost Ark. I just can't get over the fact that Nicholas Cage and ofcourse Harrison Fords characters were far more interesting, well acted, and truly full of personality.

Drake felt like a poorly done ripoff. Elena was meh. Sully was cool though.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#64 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
MGS4 for me. :)
ReturnOfShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ReturnOfShinobi
Well like i said that was half the problem. It wasn't that Bioshock is its own story. It was System Shock 2. Character for character. Sure there is a different "story" being told. But the basic themes, concepts, and twists are all there.

I enjoyed it alot but I knew from the get go this was basically System Shock 2. But hey to each his own. jg4xchamp
Well i agree, but SS2s execution was FAR superior. I personally think the back story of SS1 is the best
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts
[QUOTE="evilross"]

I also enjoyed Uncharted, and thats kinna odd for me, I'm usually more of an epic RPG type player. Uncharted was well told, well acted, and moved along at a pace that got you hooked and never let go. The story was somewhat cliche, but done very well, and had enough personalityto keep it fresh and interesting. Reminded me a hell of alot of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

jg4xchamp

you know what kills that game for me. That Drake is just so corny. When i compare Uncharted to

National Treasure or Raiders of the lost Ark. I just can't get over the fact that Nicholas Cage and ofcourse Harrison Fords characters were far more interesting, well acted, and truly full of personality.

While I completly agree with you on Harrison Ford, and the Indiana Jones character..... Nicholas Cage? Jeesh! I can't believe you said "Nicholas Cage" and "well acted" in the same sentence. This may be a first on internetz. :P

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hTwinky"]

Gator08

I thought the actual story was great! I was jumping at some of the twists. What did you think was silly about it?

The only twist, when you find out what the conduit is, isn't really that big. You know about the reapers the whole game, I pretty much knew how the story would go down after about half an hour.

The silly part came when they tried to tack on a reason for the reapers doing what they do, which was something along the lines of "their reasons are beyond our understanding," which roughly translates to, "we haven't made it up yet, lol".

I'm not saying the story is bad, I just think it gets the job done, and that's about it.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Havent played MGS4, but probably that. However, from the games I have played, Mass Effect is defenitely the best story.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="evilross"]

I also enjoyed Uncharted, and thats kinna odd for me, I'm usually more of an epic RPG type player. Uncharted was well told, well acted, and moved along at a pace that got you hooked and never let go. The story was somewhat cliche, but done very well, and had enough personalityto keep it fresh and interesting. Reminded me a hell of alot of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

evilross

While I completly agree with you on Harrison Ford, and the Indiana Jones character..... Nicholas Cage? Jeesh! I can't believe you said "Nicholas Cage" and "well acted" in the same sentence. This may be a first on internetz. :P

Nicholas Cage is awesome

Gone in 60 seconds
The Rock
National Treasure

Nicholas Cage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That loser that playes nathan drake.
Avatar image for Doctor-Salvador
Doctor-Salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 Doctor-Salvador
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts

The Darkness, great story, writing, and voice acting.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="evilross"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="evilross"]

jg4xchamp

Nicholas Cage is awesome

Gone in 60 seconds
The Rock
National Treasure

Nicholas Cage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That loser that playes nathan drake.

:O Shame on you for not mentioning Face Off!!
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jg4xchamp
Agreed. Shame on me for not mentioning Face Off.

Nicholas Cage is a very good actor.
debrady444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 debrady444
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
I really enjoyed Radiant Dawn's story. Even though there was a LOT of text to read I found it captivating. The anime cut scenes were pritty cool too.
ReturnOfShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ReturnOfShinobi
Agreed. Shame on me for not mentioning Face Off.

Nicholas Cage is a very good actor. jg4xchamp
One day hell win an Oscar:)
bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 bearbones
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Nicholas Cage is awesome

Gone in 60 seconds
The Rock
National Treasure

Nicholas Cage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That loser that playes nathan drake.mo0ksi

8MM, Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart..

As for best storyline so far this gen, Portal. However, that could change upon completion of MGS4.

Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts

For me, it begins and ends with Metal Gear Solid 4. I never played the previous so didn't really understand what was going on and yet still came out with my mouth wide open the entire game. Never thought I would say this having played video games for 24 years but Metal Gear Solid 4 is now my favorite game of all time. Over Mario 3, over Link to the Past, and over Final Fantasy 7. The story is what made it so fantastic, I am literally still amazed!

Alan

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

mgs4 without the ending

it just messed up the series..

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Agreed. Shame on me for not mentioning Face Off.

Nicholas Cage is a very good actor. ReturnOfShinobi
One day hell win an Oscar:)

it would have to be a very good movie

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Nicholas Cage is awesome

Gone in 60 seconds
The Rock
National Treasure

Nicholas Cage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That loser that playes nathan drake.bearbones

8MM, Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart..

As for best storyline so far this gen, Portal. However, that could change upon completion of MGS4.

okay I get it. Lets stop jumping on me and just make a banner

Nicholas Cage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>That loser that plays nathan drake.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jg4xchamp

mgs4 without the ending

kage_53

not really.I agree it takes some getting used to(atleast accepting it).

But once you get the idea for most of it, it makes sense and the ultimate impact is good enough..

although (spoiler ahead

I would have preferred Snake killing himself as I was damn near in tears during that scene.

scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 scoobiesnackarf
[QUOTE="kage_53"]

mgs4 without the ending

jg4xchamp

not really.I agree it takes some getting used to(atleast accepting it).

But once you get the idea for most of it, it makes sense and the ultimate impact is good enough..

although (spoiler ahead

I would have preferred Snake killing himself as I was damn near in tears during that scene.

To me, I didn't think I would enjoy the Return of the King like never ending ENDING lol but boy was I wrong, the ending was just fabulous!

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The best so far is definetly Bioshock. It was simply amazing.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts
Aside from the sequal MGS4, I thought Mass Effect had a pretty interesting and solid storyline. It was a shame that it was short though.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

mgs4 without the ending

kage_53
Yea the ending could of been a tad bit better
bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84 bstarter29
Member since 2006 • 2339 Posts

MGS4. Nothing will top it this gen, or possibly ever.

scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 scoobiesnackarf

bstarter29

I am starting to feel like I am the MGS4's version of BioshockOwnz and GTA4 lol. I just can't say enough about this game except that I whole heartedly agree with your statement.

Alan

Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Gator08
[QUOTE="Gator08"][QUOTE="t3hTwinky"]

t3hTwinky

The only twist, when you find out what the conduit is, isn't really that big. You know about the reapers the whole game, I pretty much knew how the story would go down after about half an hour.

The silly part came when they tried to tack on a reason for the reapers doing what they do, which was something along the lines of "their reasons are beyond our understanding," which roughly translates to, "we haven't made it up yet, lol".

I'm not saying the story is bad, I just think it gets the job done, and that's about it.

I was thinking of the twist that the citadel is a mass relay and all of the stuff with those keepers, and how the mass relays werent built by the protheans. I loved the mysterious reaper motivations, I think that they kind of explained it though. They said that they harvest organic life every now and then once it matures. I think the reapers are like natural beings that keep order and make sure that we dont get too intelligent. OVerall the story can compete with those of the highest hollywood movies imho.

RoomWithAMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 RoomWithAMoose
Member since 2004 • 2722 Posts
Although this is system wars I'm surprised to see that the majority of these posts aren't pointed towards MGS4. Kojima has a knak for telling stories that not only keep you asking for more but have an emotional grasp on the player as well.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

bstarter29

:lol: oh brother....

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

AAllxxjjnn

Brother!!! It's been too long!!!

Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Gator08
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

AAllxxjjnn

Here come some more MGS4 fanboys shouting. "But u dont even understand, its so meaningful and deep and complex" thinking they are great and have true "taste" because they wrapped theyre head around the horribly far fetched, needlessly complicated story with cliche morales and rehashed plot points that is MGS4

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts

t3hTwinky

I can understand having gripes with ME's storyline - I have a few myself... But the one you pick is an odd one. "which roughly translates to, 'we haven't made it up yet, lol'"... You know this... How? This is a three part game. To criticize it for not revealing a MAJOR fact about the main antagonist in part 1 of 3 seems a bit odd, seeing as you have no idea what's to come in segment 2 and 3.

RoomWithAMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 RoomWithAMoose
Member since 2004 • 2722 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="bstarter29"]

VanHelsingBoA64

I lol'ed so hard XD

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="bstarter29"]

VanHelsingBoA64

Oh god...i should have seen that one coming hahaha

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
MGS4 for me it wrapped up the storyline ive been into for the last ten years just so perfectly it would be hard for me to pick anything else
jazreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jazreal
Member since 2006 • 2736 Posts

for me, it's a tie between BIOSHOCK and MASS EFFECT, and LOST ODYESSY comes in a close second.....VERY good story Sakaguchi San :)

ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#96 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts

for me, it's a tie between BIOSHOCK and MASS EFFECT, and LOST ODYESSY comes in a close second.....VERY good story Sakaguchi San :)

jazreal

Kiyoshi Shigematsu should be credited as well.
jazreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 jazreal
Member since 2006 • 2736 Posts
[QUOTE="jazreal"]

ShaneBeck

Kiyoshi Shigematsu should be credited as well.

1000% Agreed :) Good call
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts
mgs4 ftw!!!
Salta06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#99 Salta06
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

For me it's -

1. Bioshock

2. MGS4

3. Mass Effect

4. Assassins Creed

Funny how Assassins Creed hasn't been mentioned, I thought it was quite good. I'm hoping RE5 will live up to the hype and expectations. The resident evil series has always been engrossing.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

MGS4 hands down, I mean there is no other better way to finish off a hero's story like Hideo Kojima has done for solid snake in MGS4. U couldnt have asked for a better ending. Just a masterpiece. :)