Best stealth game franchise?

• 78 results
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Best stealth game franchise? (76 votes)

Splinter Cell 33%
Metal Gear 25%
Hitman 9%
Theif 25%
Assassin's Creed 0%
Tenchu 8%

There's only few stealth games that have had succeeded enough to become a franchise with multiple games. These franchises as of recently are the biggest series in stealth.

Which is the best?

• 
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

People will argue about Splinter cell , MGs , Hitman , Thieaf and Ass creed , but for me it's Tenchu.

The game is built around trying to be a ninja , gives you lots of items to use and as a stealth game i like it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

I'll go with Splinter Cell cause I really enjoy those stealth games and follow by Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

The original Thief games.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I've enjoyed more Splinter Cell games than any of the others on the list.

Deus Ex should be there as well.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

MGS followed by Tenchu.

Lol at Assassins Creed.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Deus Ex all the way.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

It's interesting how all the previous games of these franchises have been better than the newer ones--except for maybe Metal Gear.

We have new tech and updated graphics, but they just keep catering to the idiots with the stealth mechanics. Gee, let's take these games that were open-ended and non-linear, and let's make them linear and require you to do one specific thing to pass an area!

Except for Assassin's Creed, you don't really have to do anything specific in those games; you only had to get close to your target, and it was barely a stealth game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Eww stealth games.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ant_17

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It's interesting how all the previous games of these franchises have been better than the newer ones--except for maybe Metal Gear.

We have new tech and updated graphics, but they just keep catering to the idiots with the stealth mechanics. Gee, let's take these games that were open-ended and non-linear, and let's make them linear and require you to do one specific thing to pass an area!

Except for Assassin's Creed, you don't really have to do anything specific in those games; you only had to get close to your target, and it was barely a stealth game.

What about Tenchu?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Factually speaking, it's Thief.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

but thief has 2014 game that is very bad so Hitman which is still alive

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

Splinter Cell is my absolute favorite. Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory remain as some of my favorite videogames. I, unfortunately, haven't gone around to play Blacklist. I would also mention, Tenchu Z, as terribly as it performed through reviews, I found it to be extremely enjoyable, and just plain fun.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Agreeing with you is a rare thing indeed

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

People will argue about Splinter cell , MGs , Hitman , Thieaf and Ass creed , but for me it's Tenchu.

The game is built around trying to be a ninja , gives you lots of items to use and as a stealth game i like it.

Dude I loved Tenchu. Remember the samurai guards if they thought they spotted you and you slipped out of sight? "Which way did he go?" LOL I can still hear that

I voted MGS because that is the series I enjoy the most with Splinter Cell close to it. Thief was great also.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

If only the OP didn't read 'franchise' I would of agreed with you. My vote goes to Hitman.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cainetao11

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Actually I had choices of how I wanted to handle things in Blacklist. That game was great fun imo. As for catering to the idiots, all that new tech and graphics that even the non idiots want costs a lot of moola. Of course they need to cater to a broader audience.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Hmm, thinking about it Im gonna have to give it to Splinter Cell. Chaos Theory in particular has exceptional level design. Now, MGS3 has some fantastic gameplay. Its one of my favorite games ever. And I honestly didnt enjoy Chaos Theory as much, but I can still appreciate realistic and authentic feeling level design and gameplay.

@vvulturas: Blacklist is really really good. I think its right behind Chaos theory, although I personally liked it the most outta all the ones I played. Only major negative was the new voice actor.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Thief is still the greatest stealth franchise of all time. No competition.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ant_17

@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:

Dude I loved Tenchu. Remember the samurai guards if they thought they spotted you and you slipped out of sight? "Which way did he go?" LOL I can still hear that

I voted MGS because that is the series I enjoy the most with Splinter Cell close to it. Thief was great also.

Hahahaha , man just messing with the AI is fun in it's own.

I do Mimicry and Spiders Nest non stop.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

It's amazing, was wondering for a second what the results would be but the actual great franchise (Splinter ell) seems to be winning.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I know it was just one game but I'm surprised Dishonored was not on the list. Also Assassin's Creed Unity and AC were the only two to be truly about stealth the rest were run in and be awesome feasts. Back on topic Splinter Cell wins.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Spliter Cell, easily. MGS games are good but their gameplay has always been shit

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Rare Goldeneye and Perfect Dark

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Kind of strange to see SC taking it as a franchise.

One amazing game. A couple of good games. A bunch of meh games.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I had played the original Thief trilogy in their day I'd probably vote for that.

However I grew up on Splintercell and enjoyed all of the entries except the PC version of Double Agent - the PS2 version was pretty good though - and I didn't play Conviction.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 A-new-Guardian

MGS has been the most consistent in quality while the others in the list not so much.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Actually I had choices of how I wanted to handle things in Blacklist. That game was great fun imo. As for catering to the idiots, all that new tech and graphics that even the non idiots want costs a lot of moola. Of course they need to cater to a broader audience.

Yeah, I heard Blacklist was decent, but I also heard it wasn't as good as Chaos Theory. It's on my list to play. But, we still have Double Agent, and Conviction--which were both pretty horrible.

Um, no, that's not how game design works. You can make a "puzzle" or "scenario" with multiple ways to finish them, and making one of the ways to finish them painfully easy for the people who don't like to use their brain. What happens in games today consists of catering to a broader audience AND destroying ties to your old fans; that's called bad game design, not simply just catering to a broader audience.

Good game design consists of achieving high scores with critics, pleasing old fans, and making it accessible to new fans, or the brainless(this is optional). Without that, it's just bad game design.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Yeah, I heard Blacklist was decent, but I also heard it wasn't as good as Chaos Theory. It's on my list to play. But, we still have Double Agent, and Conviction--which were both pretty horrible.

Um, no, that's not how game design works. You can make a "puzzle" or "scenario" with multiple ways to finish them, and making one of the ways to finish them painfully easy for the people who don't like to use their brain. What happens in games today consists of catering to a broader audience AND destroying ties to your old fans; that's called bad game design, not simply just catering to a broader audience.

Good game design consists of achieving high scores with critics, pleasing old fans, and making it accessible to new fans, or the brainless(this is optional). Without that, it's just bad game design.

Well you can do those things you mentioned. But with time in development eating dollars its really business 101 that the corporations are going to take the shortest road possible. So trying to manage budget, and give the main thing people generally look for, graphics which costs, they are going to go for what most consumers will go WOW over. Just go read that UC4 graphics thread. Look at the responses. Pics of the Order 1886 and raves about graphics king. A paper crown for a mediocre game. But people are championing it.

I may not know how game design works by you, but I owned my own business and I have an idea how that works. More money coming in than was put into the product and if the estimate is it will take X amount of time to get the game the graphics hype which many love, then your real game design takes a back seat financially.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

The early Splinter Cell games were some of my favorite games of all time.

If we could get an old-school Splinter Cell and Ninja Gaiden, I would be in heaven.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

Most pathetic results of a GS poll ever. Both Thief and Splinter Cell, merely garbage franchises in comparison to the divinity that is Metal Gear.

Comparing Metal Gear to other stealth franchises is like comparing a Rolls Royce to Japanese cars in terms of luxury, comfort and prestige.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I am really not into stealth games, too impatient.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Metal Gear is my favorite franchise of the bunch, but when I think "stealth' I think more of what Thief (especially Thief) and Splinter Cell were doing at their peak.

Metal Gear and Hitman are dope, but they are as much action games and playgrounds at times, and Metal Gear has at least always been up front about the whole tactical espionage action thing. Thief and Splinter Cell have a purity to them that I really like. Funny enough all of them had games release on the 360 and PS3, and none of them were as good as Mark of the Ninja or Gunpoint, two 2D games. What a world.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

Metal Gear is my favorite franchise of the bunch, but when I think "stealth' I think more of what Thief (especially Thief) and Splinter Cell were doing at their peak.

Metal Gear and Hitman are dope, but they are as much action games and playgrounds at times, and Metal Gear has at least always been up front about the whole tactical espionage action thing. Thief and Splinter Cell have a purity to them that I really like. Funny enough all of them had games release on the 360 and PS3, and none of them were as good as Mark of the Ninja or Gunpoint, two 2D games. What a world.

IDK man, Mark of the Ninja was cool but I kind of had to force myself to play it. I dont even remember if I finished it. Gunpoint was really fucking funny but thats more of a puzzle game in my eyes. I thought Blacklist was really fucking fun and a perfect evolution for Splinter Cell.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

IDK man, Mark of the Ninja was cool but I kind of had to force myself to play it. I dont even remember if I finished it. Gunpoint was really fucking funny but thats more of a puzzle game in my eyes. I thought Blacklist was really fucking fun and a perfect evolution for Splinter Cell.

Stealth games by their very nature are puzzle games so I don't see how that invalidates the pick. The general idea stays the same: don't get spotted, you are physically weaker than your competition, failure usually revolves around getting spotted and being out gunned.

Conviction is trash, and while Blacklist is Conviction done well, it's still missing a variety of moves that Fisher had in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. More appealing in the sense that it gave me the options I'd like? Yes, but the same brand of cerebral and tense gameplay that the first 3 games provide (the first one being not so good)? Nah, man. And suck less at Mark of the Ninja, that game is rad.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Stealth games by their very nature are puzzle games so I don't see how that invalidates the pick. The general idea stays the same: don't get spotted, you are physically weaker than your competition, failure usually revolves around getting spotted and being out gunned.

Conviction is trash, and while Blacklist is Conviction done well, it's still missing a variety of moves that Fisher had in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. More appealing in the sense that it gave me the options I'd like? Yes, but the same brand of cerebral and tense gameplay that the first 3 games provide (the first one being not so good)? Nah, man. And suck less at Mark of the Ninja, that game is rad.

Conviction is dope. Wtf are you smoking? Its the best 24 video game ever made. Do you hate America?

So would you consider Portal a stealth game? Because that seems a lot like a 3D Gunpoint. There are puzzles and people/robots you have to avoid to reach the end of the level. I wouldn't consider Portal a stealth game though.

My difficulty finishing MOTN had nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. I just got kinda stale for me. I think I just hate pure stealth games now.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Splinter Cell Blacklist is the most underrated game of recent history. If you're a stealth fan go get that.

SC overall is my favorite stealth franchise, it's great overall (minus the hate or love conviction). Hitman is also amazing, Thief is decent (Deadly Shadows was dope). AC isn't really traditional stealth to me, but I enjoyed Black Flag.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Thief 1 & 2 are the best obviously. 3 was decent, but the level design wasn't nearly as good.

Chaos Theory and Blood money were really good too.

Metal Gear just got beyond retarded with all the random paranoid world conspiracy bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Heil68 said:

The original Thief games.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#39  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

MGS by far.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

MGS and Tenchu.

Shit, we need more Tenchu. From get off Dick Souls for a while and do some fucking Tenchu.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Conviction is dope. Wtf are you smoking? Its the best 24 video game ever made. Do you hate America?

So would you consider Portal a stealth game? Because that seems a lot like a 3D Gunpoint. There are puzzles and people/robots you have to avoid to reach the end of the level. I wouldn't consider Portal a stealth game though.

My difficulty finishing MOTN had nothing to do with the difficulty of the game. I just got kinda stale for me. I think I just hate pure stealth games now.

That's a ridiculous example and you know it.

And Conviction sucks, get the **** out of here. It is anti-american that Canadian piece of shit.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: how so? Stealth is just as much a part of portal as gunpoint

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I haven't played the Thief games, so i'll go with Splinter Cell... Especially given that Chaos Theory exists.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

MGS, there's a reason why its still relevant, unlike the rest.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Pre-2014: Thief > Splinter Cell > Hitman
Post-2014: Splinter Cell > Hitman > Thief

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: except for Splinter Cell. While Conviction was awful, Blacklist is back to Chaos Theory levels of quality.

And in answer to tc, i think Splinter Cell is the best stealth series, such fun. I wish there was a new one

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

Kind of strange to see SC taking it as a franchise.

One amazing game. A couple of good games. A bunch of meh games.

To be fair, there's few things in the world as unreliable as a System Wars poll.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Hitman

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I interpreted this question as "which is the best franchise out of these choices." And the answer is MGS, easily. All of the other franchises listed have had at least one shit game or a bunch of shit games, or are largely irrelevant. The worst MGS game is MGS4, which should give you an idea of how fucking consistent the series has been in quality.

If you're asking which franchise has the best pure stealth gameplay I guess it's Splinter Cell, even if the games dropped in quality after Chaos Theory. But the gameplay in GZ felt more fun and fluid than any Splinter Cell game.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 A-new-Guardian

@ReadingRainbow4: not gonna happen. Miyazaki is head of From Software. You'll see Dark Souls 4 and new ip's in souls skin. From software wants to make money and souls makes money so no tenchu. They're gonna milk souls dry. it has been happening since demon's souls turned out to be a huge success.

you could play Shinobido games. These are basically the evolution of tenchu and they play much faster. You can attack and escape very quickly exactly like a ninja. Tenchu lacked that aspect in gameplay. But overall the quick movement in Shinobido doesn't make the series better. In the grand scheme of things Tenchu is still superior overall.