Best Metroid game?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

Edited By 93BlackHawk93

Poll Best Metroid game? (69 votes)

Metroid (NES, 1986) 1%
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB, 1991) 0%
Super Metroid (SNES, 1994) 29%
Metroid Fusion (GBA, 2002) 9%
Metroid Prime (GC, 2002) 43%
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC, 2004) 9%
Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS, 2006) 0%
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii, 2007) 7%
Metroid: Other M (Wii, 2010) 1%
  1. Super Metroid
  2. Metroid Prime
  3. Metroid Fusion
  4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  5. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  6. Metroid: Other M
  7. Metroid Prime: Hunters
  8. Metroid
  9. Metroid II: Return of Samus
 • 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#51  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

It's just as factual as your gushing preference for Super Metroid.

If I were to pick any Metroid up at this point, it would probably be Prime. Prime is a genuinely excellent experience, but Super is still a superior game (as Prime takes a lot of what it does from Prime, including music, atmosphere, setting and progression). Echoes was a departure from Prime in a good way, as it built solidly on what Prime did well, while not relying on the tropes of the franchise garnered from Super.

A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are strikingly similar in this regard.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Prime 3 just by a sliver, Prime 2 had the best music period, but Prime 3 just barely gets the edge for me. I hate the old side scrolling Metroid games. It wasn't until the Prime games where I said, NOW THIS IS WHAT METROID IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

If I were to pick any Metroid up at this point, it would probably be Prime. Prime is a genuinely excellent experience, but Super is still a superior game (as Prime takes a lot of what it does from Prime, including music, atmosphere, setting and progression). Echoes was a departure from Prime in a good way, as it built solidly on what Prime did well, while not relying on the tropes of the franchise garnered from Super.

A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are strikingly similar in this regard.

I'm going to have to disagree, because I don't think relying on older themes and tropes makes them inferior as long as the newer games build upon them and improve. In the case of Prime, it does just that, because it's bigger and better in all areas, especially the Prime Trilogy version, because the gameplay is by far the best the Wiimote has to offer. I do love Super Metroid a lot, but I can't rank it #1 just because it was the first game in the series not to suck. I feel the same way about the Zelda games too, because I prefer Ocarina and Majora's Mask to ALttP. :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I don't understand the Other M hate, it wasn't that terrible, it was rather fun, it's good but not great, the controls weren't as much of an issue like some people moaned and groaned about, probably the story was the weakest element but that still didn't stop me from enjoying it. Besides, it's not like Nintendo has any interest in making these games, I welcome the idea of them outsourcing the work of these games to studios like Team Ninja.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Renegade_Fury said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

I'm going to have to disagree, because I don't think relying on older themes and tropes makes them inferior as long as the newer games build upon them and improve. In the case of Prime, it does just that, because it's bigger and better in all areas, especially the Prime Trilogy version, because the gameplay is by far the best the Wiimote has to offer. I do love Super Metroid a lot, but I can't rank it #1 just because it was the first game in the series not to suck. I feel the same way about the Zelda games too, because I prefer Ocarina and Majora's Mask to ALttP. :P

Disagree all you want. Facts are still facts. *shrugs* ;)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Disagree all you want. Facts are still facts. *shrugs* ;)

Kay, I'll consider this a win for the home team then.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I have to go with Metroid Prime, one of my favorite games ever.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Way to misunderstood my post, I was referring to the Late Selena vs Selena Gomez to him and going off-topic

Also, I could care less about the manga's and what Sakamoto think's what Samus should be. Story shouldn't even be the important factor of the Metroid series. The Manga was made to do fan service and sell merchandise, also conflicted on who was the true leader of the space pirates between Ridley and Mother Brain.

Sorry, I did misunderstood.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Prime, but the 2D versions are really a whole other beast, which I also love (along with Castlevania...really sad they haven't had a good one since the DS). Prime was special though.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Wow, no one likes Metroid II? It was a huge step up from the Original Metroid and pretty fun, it definitely needs a remake (Not talking about the fan remake)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@ladyblue said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

LOL wut? The FPS camera is what helped the series evolved! I can't imagine Metroid going 3rd Person! Fusion was the start of the series downfall.

Fusion was the series at it's peak. Superior to Super Metroid in every way.The game just doesn't work mechanicly in fps. Terrible boss fights, and slow ass samus was the downfall. No amounts of lols thrown in well help your piss poor case.

Fusion was not at its peak, it was a lot shorter and the dialogue was a complete drag. Adam was a joke as a supporting character and Sakamoto thought he could try to make Metroid more "Artistic" that way. Sure Prime seemed slow, but those accolades something different! You're not forced to complete the game in 100 percent nor force to read all the dialogue and scan everything. Boss fights in Prime were top notch, don't know where you thought they were bad as they were more original than Fusions.

Don't kid yourself. Prime didn't "seem" slow, it was slow, and top notch is not what I would use to describe the boss fights in that game. It's clear now, you're trolling me. Fusion is a masterpiece.

The boss fights were below average. Platforming was the only redeemable aspect of Prime.

Fusion? A masterpiece? I ain't trolling anyone, but you saying that the Prime bosses were below average is laughable at best. You telling me that Omega Metroid was better than the Metroid Prime itself is a joke. BTW, I'm not saying that Fusion was bad, but I clearly state it was the start of the downfall of the series putting more emphasis on story than exploration as Fusion had uninspired setting.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Do not really care about the 2d games.

I like Prime 2 over 1 . The sense of dread when entering the dark world was really cool and the music is much better. Prime just has the benefit of being first and groundbreaking.

Hunters was good fun to play with friends.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 foxhound_fox

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Wow, no one likes Metroid II? It was a huge step up from the Original Metroid and pretty fun, it definitely needs a remake (Not talking about the fan remake)

I've tried and tried and tried to get into it. Yes, it's an improvement over the first... but both are so boring.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Zero mission makes the first game obsolete.

Zero Mission is also a much better game than Metroid 2.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@AsadMahdi59 said:

Do not really care about the 2d games.

I like Prime 2 over 1 . The sense of dread when entering the dark world was really cool and the music is much better. Prime just has the benefit of being first and groundbreaking.

Hunters was good fun to play with friends.

Dark Aether felt like more of a chore to go through imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Please do not bump threads that have been inactive for thirty days or longer.