Best Metroid game?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
Edited 2 years, 9 months ago

Poll: Best Metroid game? (67 votes)

Metroid (NES, 1986) 1%
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB, 1991) 0%
Super Metroid (SNES, 1994) 28%
Metroid Fusion (GBA, 2002) 9%
Metroid Prime (GC, 2002) 45%
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC, 2004) 9%
Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS, 2006) 0%
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii, 2007) 6%
Metroid: Other M (Wii, 2010) 1%
  1. Super Metroid
  2. Metroid Prime
  3. Metroid Fusion
  4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  5. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  6. Metroid: Other M
  7. Metroid Prime: Hunters
  8. Metroid
  9. Metroid II: Return of Samus
Avatar image for Litchie
#1 Edited by Litchie (19012 posts) -

It's impossible for me to choose between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Both are pretty much flawless.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#2 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

Metroid: Other M needs to be with the pile of ET cartridges in New Mexico and never to be spoken again. I love Prime more than Super Metroid and Echoes rank 3rd under Super Metroid.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#3 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (35161 posts) -

Best 3 in order:

1. Super

2. Prime 2: echoes

3. Prime

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#4 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12043 posts) -

Other M of course. One of the greatest games of all time.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#5 Edited by charizard1605 (77183 posts) -

Prime.

Avatar image for Heil68
#6 Posted by Heil68 (56786 posts) -

I would pick Prime.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#7 Edited by freedomfreak (49032 posts) -

I'd probably go with Prime.

Haven't played too many Metroid games though.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#8 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4648 posts) -

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Avatar image for bbkkristian
#9 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Prime 2 Echoes is the best.

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
#10 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8149 posts) -

C'mon people! Super is better! D:

Avatar image for 4myAmuzumament
#11 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

I haven't played any Metroid game released before the Prime series, I will one day though...

Even then, I don't know if anything will surpass the first Metroid Prime. I have almost no complaints about it. I wonder if Super Metroid is on 3DS... people talk about that game like it's the sht.

edit: I also GREATLY enjoyed Hunters online. I got soooo good at Sylux, I miss the nights I would play all night. :P

Avatar image for Joedgabe
#12 Edited by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

Metroid fusion was the best for me :)

I personally thought echoes was better than prime though.

Avatar image for nini200
#13 Edited by nini200 (11479 posts) -

Super

Avatar image for mexicangordo
#14 Posted by mexicangordo (8687 posts) -

Though I would probably say Prime is the best, here is my favorite of the list.

1 Prime 2
2 Prime
3 Super Metroid
4 Metroid Fusion
5 Metroid
6 Metroid other M
7. Prime 3
8. Hunters
9. Metroid 2

The only flat out bad game in the series are Metroid 2 and Hunters. Besides that even Other M was enjoyable. Fantastic series.

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
#15 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8149 posts) -

I'm still waiting for Metroid Dread.

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#16 Edited by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -
  1. Prime
  2. Super
  3. Fusion
  4. Echoes
  5. Corruption
  6. Metroid / ZM
  7. Other M
  8. Hunters
  9. Metroid II
Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#17 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
#18 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8149 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Avatar image for locopatho
#19 Posted by locopatho (22682 posts) -

Metroid Prime is spectacular. Probably perfect, actually.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Lol. "She was crap in the manga no one read so that makes it ok for her to be crap in the game too!"

Samus is a badass, across many games, Other M was just sad for her.

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
#20 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (8149 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Metroid Prime is spectacular. Probably perfect, actually.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Lol. "She was crap in the manga no one read so that makes it ok for her to be crap in the game too!"

Samus is a badass, across many games, Other M was just sad for her.

And she was badass in that game too (when Ridley appeared she had a PTSD episode from killing him already for good in Super, but she started to fight back. This doesn't satisfy me at all, but it happened). We actually never knew her personality.

Not to mention this game was made for the japanese audience. The fact that "no one" read the manga is irrelevant.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#21 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18407 posts) -

Gonna have to say Super Metroid. I played it for the first time only a few years ago and I have to say, the game is a bona fide masterpiece. It's pretty great in just about every respect. Only issue is the back tracking on occasion but apart from that I can't find too much wrong with it.

I wish Nintendo would announce another Metroid game.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#22 Posted by Renegade_Fury (18883 posts) -

The Prime Trilogy version of Echoes.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#23 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Way to misunderstood my post, I was referring to the Late Selena vs Selena Gomez to him and going off-topic

Also, I could care less about the manga's and what Sakamoto think's what Samus should be. Story shouldn't even be the important factor of the Metroid series. The Manga was made to do fan service and sell merchandise, also conflicted on who was the true leader of the space pirates between Ridley and Mother Brain.

Avatar image for CrumUnderMe
#24 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

i would like to say metroid fusion is. aside that HORRIBLE gravity boss it was an amazing game with a slick art style, tons of rooms to explore, a actual story

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#25 Edited by jg4xchamp (58960 posts) -
  1. Metroid Prime
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  4. Metroid Zero Mission
  5. Metroid Fusion
  6. Metroid Pinball
  7. Metroid Other M
  8. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  9. Metroid 2: Return of Samus
  10. Metroid Prime Hunters

8; down is **** that game territory. Corruption I'm at least willing to accept as a good game(a bastard child, but a good game), but the last 2 are bad games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#26 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12043 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

lolz

Avatar image for WAJ
#27 Posted by WAJ (753 posts) -

I have so much love for Super Metroid beyond the nostalgia but Prime utterly blew me away when it was released. I recently started playing through it again (trilogy version) and honestly, it hasn't lost any of its appeal. Not only does it rank at the top of this list for me, but imho it's one of the finest if not THE finest game ever created.

Avatar image for sibu_xgamer
#28 Posted by sibu_xgamer (340 posts) -

It seems there are many young people here who never played Super Metroid. Otherwise that would be winning.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#29 Posted by mems_1224 (55727 posts) -

Super Metroid followed by Fusion.

Avatar image for WAJ
#30 Posted by WAJ (753 posts) -

@sibu_xgamer said:

It seems there are many young people here who never played Super Metroid. Otherwise that would be winning.

Disagree. Super is monumental but Prime gets my vote. I'm 36.

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#31 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16678 posts) -

Super Metroid by a nose, but Metroid Prime was damn good.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#32 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@sibu_xgamer said:

It seems there are many young people here who never played Super Metroid. Otherwise that would be winning.

Nope, I was old enough playing Super Metroid! While it was one of my favorite SNES games, it was surpassed by Metroid Prime as Retro Studios has done a phenomenal job keeping the core Metroid gameplay when it transition to a full 3D world. Having to see the world in Samus Aran's eyes was pure genius as you were able to feel being isolated and its atmosphere and also brought great ambiance to keep you immerse. It was a Gamecube experience that I love and cherish more than Super Metroid.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#33 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35161 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Metroid Prime is spectacular. Probably perfect, actually.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Lol. "She was crap in the manga no one read so that makes it ok for her to be crap in the game too!"

Samus is a badass, across many games, Other M was just sad for her.

Across what games exactly? She's barely had any sort of character development at all throughout the series, outside of maybe a small handful of subtle moments. The only games that bothered to give a look into Samus's character were Fusion and Other M.

I like Samus and all, I just wouldn't associate lack of any sort of character development with bad-assery.

Avatar image for Seabas989
#34 Edited by Seabas989 (12778 posts) -

I will also go with Metroid Prime. Second best game ever made.

Avatar image for Enforcedspot
#35 Edited by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

MetriodPrime 2 Echoes

Avatar image for ladyblue
#36 Posted by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#37 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

LOL wut? The FPS camera is what helped the series evolved! I can't imagine Metroid going 3rd Person! Fusion was the start of the series downfall.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#38 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@locopatho said:

Metroid Prime is spectacular. Probably perfect, actually.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Lol. "She was crap in the manga no one read so that makes it ok for her to be crap in the game too!"

Samus is a badass, across many games, Other M was just sad for her.

Across what games exactly? She's barely had any sort of character development at all throughout the series, outside of maybe a small handful of subtle moments. The only games that bothered to give a look into Samus's character were Fusion and Other M.

I like Samus and all, I just wouldn't associate lack of any sort of character development with bad-assery.

And those games is what started the declination of Metroid

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#39 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (35161 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@locopatho said:

Metroid Prime is spectacular. Probably perfect, actually.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Prime.

Other M is fantastic.

Other M is total garbage just like Selena Gomez. If the REAL Selena was alive, she would have kicked her arse

You mean Samus? You know the Other M Samus is closer to her real personality based on the canon manga than the one Prime fanboys create?

Lol. "She was crap in the manga no one read so that makes it ok for her to be crap in the game too!"

Samus is a badass, across many games, Other M was just sad for her.

Across what games exactly? She's barely had any sort of character development at all throughout the series, outside of maybe a small handful of subtle moments. The only games that bothered to give a look into Samus's character were Fusion and Other M.

I like Samus and all, I just wouldn't associate lack of any sort of character development with bad-assery.

And those games is what started the declination of Metroid

I wouldn't agree with that. I found Fusion to be very good and to be a nice take on Metroid. And even if I thought Other M was bad (which I don't think it is), it's not like it would have been the only disappointment in the franchise's recent. i found Hunters to be pretty mediocre (though to be fair I never really bothered with its online multiplayer), and Metroid prime 3, while an alright game by itself, was pretty disappointing compared to the original prime and Echoes.

And there's the fact that fusion and Other M released very far apart from eachother. Between both games we had Prime, Echoes, and Zero Mission, and these games were great. So saying there was some decline started by both these games, when they weren't even anywhere close to being released in the same time frame, is silly to me.

Avatar image for ladyblue
#40 Posted by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

LOL wut? The FPS camera is what helped the series evolved! I can't imagine Metroid going 3rd Person! Fusion was the start of the series downfall.

Fusion was the series at it's peak. Superior to Super Metroid in every way.The game just doesn't work mechanicly in fps. Terrible boss fights, and slow ass samus was the downfall. No amounts of lols thrown in well help your piss poor case.

Avatar image for branketra
#41 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Metroid Fusion is a perfect game. Metroid Prime is nearly flawless, and Super Metroid is ,too.

Fusion>Prime>Super

Avatar image for Spartan070
#42 Edited by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

1. Echoes

2. Prime

3. Super

(Hate having to compare the Prime series to Super though)

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#43 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (14976 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

LOL wut? The FPS camera is what helped the series evolved! I can't imagine Metroid going 3rd Person! Fusion was the start of the series downfall.

Fusion was the series at it's peak. Superior to Super Metroid in every way.The game just doesn't work mechanicly in fps. Terrible boss fights, and slow ass samus was the downfall. No amounts of lols thrown in well help your piss poor case.

Fusion was not at its peak, it was a lot shorter and the dialogue was a complete drag. Adam was a joke as a supporting character and Sakamoto thought he could try to make Metroid more "Artistic" that way. Sure Prime seemed slow, but those accolades something different! You're not forced to complete the game in 100 percent nor force to read all the dialogue and scan everything. Boss fights in Prime were top notch, don't know where you thought they were bad as they were more original than Fusions.

Avatar image for ConanTheStoner
#44 Edited by ConanTheStoner (13808 posts) -

Super Metroid.

I played Prime first, so it's not even a nostalgia driven answer. Super Metroid is just that bad ass, but I do hold Prime at a very close 2nd.

And if you're wondering how I missed out on Super in it's day, I just wasn't a fan of the NES titles and figured Super would leave the same impression.

Avatar image for ladyblue
#45 Edited by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ladyblue said:

Fusion.

Prime was the worst thing to happen to the series. I prefer no metroid release, than having to go through that shit fps nonsense again.

LOL wut? The FPS camera is what helped the series evolved! I can't imagine Metroid going 3rd Person! Fusion was the start of the series downfall.

Fusion was the series at it's peak. Superior to Super Metroid in every way.The game just doesn't work mechanicly in fps. Terrible boss fights, and slow ass samus was the downfall. No amounts of lols thrown in well help your piss poor case.

Fusion was not at its peak, it was a lot shorter and the dialogue was a complete drag. Adam was a joke as a supporting character and Sakamoto thought he could try to make Metroid more "Artistic" that way. Sure Prime seemed slow, but those accolades something different! You're not forced to complete the game in 100 percent nor force to read all the dialogue and scan everything. Boss fights in Prime were top notch, don't know where you thought they were bad as they were more original than Fusions.

Don't kid yourself. Prime didn't "seem" slow, it was slow, and top notch is not what I would use to describe the boss fights in that game. It's clear now, you're trolling me. Fusion is a masterpiece.

The boss fights were below average. Platforming was the only redeemable aspect of Prime.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#46 Edited by foxhound_fox (95706 posts) -

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Echoes > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Corruption > Other M > Metroid > Metroid II > Hunters

I haven't played Pinball.

My list is generated by hundreds, and possibly thousands of hours invested in the game series (aside from NES Metroid, II and Hunters). Super is the epitome of what the series is defined as, nearly perfect in all regards (one of the games closest to that point) and the others merely built on what Super achieved. There is no way anyone can say any of the other games are "better" than Super, but they can certainly prefer them.

Avatar image for ladyblue
#47 Posted by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Echoes > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Corruption > Other M > Metroid > Metroid II > Hunters

I haven't played Pinball.

My list is generated by hundreds, and possibly thousands of hours invested in the game series (aside from NES Metroid, II and Hunters). Super is the epitome of what the series is defined as, nearly perfect in all regards (one of the games closest to that point) and the others merely built on what Super achieved. There is no way anyone can say any of the other games are "better" than Super, but they can certainly prefer them.


The controls alone make it better than Super. Feels slow, and clunky.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#48 Posted by Renegade_Fury (18883 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Echoes > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Corruption > Other M > Metroid > Metroid II > Hunters

I haven't played Pinball.

My list is generated by hundreds, and possibly thousands of hours invested in the game series (aside from NES Metroid, II and Hunters). Super is the epitome of what the series is defined as, nearly perfect in all regards (one of the games closest to that point) and the others merely built on what Super achieved. There is no way anyone can say any of the other games are "better" than Super, but they can certainly prefer them.

Echoes and Prime are better than Super Metroid. That wasn't hard.

The gameplay is better in Fusion and Zero Mission too.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (95706 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Echoes > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Corruption > Other M > Metroid > Metroid II > Hunters

I haven't played Pinball.

My list is generated by hundreds, and possibly thousands of hours invested in the game series (aside from NES Metroid, II and Hunters). Super is the epitome of what the series is defined as, nearly perfect in all regards (one of the games closest to that point) and the others merely built on what Super achieved. There is no way anyone can say any of the other games are "better" than Super, but they can certainly prefer them.

Echoes and Prime are better than Super Metroid. That wasn't hard.

The gameplay is better in Fusion and Zero Mission too.

That is factually incorrect. Sorry.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#50 Edited by Renegade_Fury (18883 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Super >>>>>>>>>>> Echoes > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Corruption > Other M > Metroid > Metroid II > Hunters

I haven't played Pinball.

My list is generated by hundreds, and possibly thousands of hours invested in the game series (aside from NES Metroid, II and Hunters). Super is the epitome of what the series is defined as, nearly perfect in all regards (one of the games closest to that point) and the others merely built on what Super achieved. There is no way anyone can say any of the other games are "better" than Super, but they can certainly prefer them.

Echoes and Prime are better than Super Metroid. That wasn't hard.

The gameplay is better in Fusion and Zero Mission too.

That is factually incorrect. Sorry.

It's just as factual as your gushing preference for Super Metroid.