Battlefield is the next COD

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Everyone on here talks smack on COD because it's so rehashed and it "sucks" and then praises Battlefield. I bet you that in the next few years it will become the same thing COD became. An infinitely rehashed moneymaker. (i'm not saying i dislike either cod or battlefield because i don't)

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Dice will never fall to the darkside! :x

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

What are you basing this off? :?

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts
currently, battlefield is fresh and trying to improve with every version. CoD doesnt do this. each battlefield so far has been vastly superior to the last.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

*eats popcorn*

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I can kind of see it. EA is if anything, greedier then Activision, just more savvy in how they go about it. They'll say Battlelog is free for everyone to conveniently ignore that Elite is also free (but comes with a non free variant), then release day 1 DLC that's already on the disc and consists of nothing more then gun camo (Spec Act).

So I can see it. You people forget IW made CoD4 and 2, the really, really amazing ones.

I can actually see it now. BF becomes overblown and dated in between MoH releases, then next gen Activision promises a super awesome revamp in CoD, for teh PC audience and hardcore fans, and everyone eats it up while BF starts to fester and grow old. That's kind of a long shot though, but if anything yeah BF will get old and everyone will move on to something else, whether its the return of CoD or not I don't know.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

In terms of release cycle, they're kind of already there. In terms of quality and just rehashing and not advancing anything, I doubt it.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

lundy86_4

Well gaming is a business where companies make money. Battlefield is on a huge rise in terms of popularity. So as more and more people buy the game, more and more games will be made. It may eventually just turn into a rehashing for the money, that's what COD became. Basically my basis is off of COD and other game series such as Street Fighter and Grand Theft Auto.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534

lundy86_4

It makes sense. Battlefield makes EA a lot of money and EA, like every other company ever, likes money.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

Steameffekt
No, they won't " fall " to the darkside, But EA will stab their talons into DICE and drag them down... If anything. But I think that DICE will be smart and not let it become a yearly rehashed crap pot.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

Well gaming is a business where companies make money. Battlefield is on a huge rise in terms of popularity. So as more and more people buy the game, more and more games will be made. It may eventually just turn into a rehashing for the money, that's what COD became. Basically my basis is off of COD and other game series such as Street Fighter and Grand Theft Auto.

drummerdave9099

Naturally, businesses are in it to make money. Unfortunately, it's not a gigantic indication of which way a franchise will go. SF and CoD are good examples, but I dunno about GTA... It's not exactly had continuous releases.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

Steameffekt
every developer does when a crazy amount of cashflow comes in
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

Lost-Memory

No, they won't " fall " to the darkside, But EA will stab their talons into DICE and drag them down... If anything.

What do you mean? They have Crytek for that.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40

I can kind of see it. EA is if anything, greedier then Activision, just more savvy in how they go about it. They'll say Battlelog is free for everyone to conveniently ignore that Elite is also free (but comes with a non free variant), then release day 1 DLC that's already on the disc and consists of nothing more then gun camo (Spec Act).

So I can see it. You people forget IW made CoD4 and 2, the really, really amazing ones.

I can actually see it now. BF becomes overblown and dated in between MoH releases, then next gen Activision promises a super awesome revamp in CoD, for teh PC audience and hardcore fans, and everyone eats it up while BF starts to fester and grow old. That's kind of a long shot though, but if anything yeah BF will get old and everyone will move on to something else, whether its the return of CoD or not I don't know.

SPYDER0416

Gun camo DLC doesn't matter. It's not game content. It's cosmetic. They can release all the cosetmic crap they want. I still won't be buying it.

And they took a **** on the people that got them where they are. Plus CoD2 and 4 are average at best.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If they keep going the same pace right now, where each release isn't some overpriced DLC map pack, then there's no way it'll become the "next CoD."

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

I hope not.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I doubt it.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

[QUOTE="Lost-Memory"][QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

ChubbyGuy40

No, they won't " fall " to the darkside, But EA will stab their talons into DICE and drag them down... If anything.

What do you mean? They have Crytek for that.

EA doesn't own Crytek, they manage to be obnoxious all on their own.

As for Dice, I expect it will go about the same as it has in the past, and Dice will actually change and develop the franchise as it goes along, unlike CoD.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

actually it is..so is MOH

now that a new MOH and BF is coming out everyother year, they are playing the same ballgame as activision and IW/3arc

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

drummerdave9099

Games wont be made, expansion will be made with a small price tag unlike COD where their"expansions" consists of a 60 dollar game
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phoenix534

now that a new MOH and BF is coming out everyother year, they are playing the same ballgame as activision and IW/3arc

eboyishere

I still don't understand this train of thought. The two are different enough that they shouldn't be lumped together.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

the Spec Act was a shortcut pack that came out with the second map pack,, and I think the DLC they did have with it is better than the online pass a lot of other companies are starting to like. On my 360 I didn't have to buy 1 map pack because I bought it brand new and all the maps were free for the people that had the VIP code that came with new games. They didn't lock used copies out, but they gave the maps free to people that bought new.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eboyishere

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

Phoenix534

I still don't understand this train of thought. The two are different enough that they shouldn't be lumped together.

you mean MOH and BF? im talking about having down time to make a newer game instead of the "pump em out as fast as we can" idea..but this is a business and i understand

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

eboyishere

you mean MOH and BF? im talking about having down time to make a newer game instead of the "pump em out as fast as we can" idea..but this is a business and i understand

Oh. Well, that I do understand. But at least MOH and BF have noticeably different games and if they each get a biannual release, I could get behind that.

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
how in the world is gta rehash
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I highly doubt it because DICE will try to cater as best as possible to all their fans unlike Activsion/IW.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eboyishere

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Phoenix534

Oh. Well, that I do understand. But at least MOH and BF have noticeably different games and if they each get a biannual release, I could get behind that.

well i look at it like this

BF3

MOH

Bad comapny

MOH

BF4

so i mean if they do it like that, then it might not be completely like activision

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

eboyishere

BF3

MOH

Bad comapny

MOH

BF4

so i mean if they do it like that, then it might not be completely like activision

I'd be perfectly fine with a schedule like that.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Everyone on here talks smack on COD because it's so rehashed and it "sucks" and then praises Battlefield. I bet you that in the next few years it will become the same thing COD became. An infinitely rehashed moneymaker. (i'm not saying i dislike either cod or battlefield because i don't)

drummerdave9099

thanks for the insight in the future, maybe want to tell me the numbers of the lottery next?

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

eboyishere

BF3

MOH

Bad comapny

MOH

BF4

MoH gameplay =/= Battlefield gameplay
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 eboyishere

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Mystic-G

BF3

MOH

Bad comapny

MOH

BF4

MoH gameplay =/= Battlefield gameplay

MOH was rushed/used to promote BF3...your in for a shock when BF's style will be noticable

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

You all just need to stop comparing COD and Battlefield. They aren't even near the same type of gameplay and BF3 will not be a COD clone because no game whatsoever has been able to pull that off.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Battlefield doesn't lend itself very well to annual releases. IIRC Vietnam and 2142 were largely financially unsuccessful because of how similar they were to previous games.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#33 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

drummerdave9099
Honestly, I don't see how it's much less rehashed than Call of Duty. Battlefield fans just defend their game more viciously since it's less popular. Double standards really. Battlefield is still a very milked franchise and just as "generic" as Call of Duty at this point.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'll quit playing BF if it had killstreaks, mainly small maps and no vehicles.

Avatar image for HomelessNinja21
HomelessNinja21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HomelessNinja21
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
COD is just a fad. People buy it because a lot of people play it, Not because it's a good game. I'm not hating on it or anything, but it only takes one person to convince an army of gamers that a game is good. In short - "A Person is Smart, but People are Dumb."
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vashkey
COD is just a fad. People buy it because a lot of people play it, Not because it's a good game. I'm not hating on it or anything, but it only takes one person to convince an army of gamers that a game is good. In short - "A Person is Smart, but People are Dumb." HomelessNinja21
CoD has been selling million since the series began in 2003. Near eight years is a pretty long run for a fad. Battlefield is only a year older, is that a fad too?
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Battlefield will always be battlefield.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChubbyGuy40

Honestly, I don't see how it's much less rehashed than Call of Duty. Battlefield fans just defend their game more viciously since it's less popular. Double standards really. Battlefield is still a very milked franchise and just as "generic" as Call of Duty at this point.vashkey

Battlefield has been out longer and has had 5 main games. 1942, Vietnam, Battlefield 2, 2142, and Battlefield 3. Then it's had spin-offs like Bad Company and Play4Free, as well as multiple expansions like Special Forces and Vietnam. Battlefield also changes each game to make it different from the last, where as releasing the same thing for the third time is alright with Activision.

CoD has been out for a shorter period, going onto it's ninth main game, has overpriced DLC, downgrades with every release, it's main developer doesn't care about the community, and that same dev abandons the game after 6 months in which you'll never see patches or tweaks again. It also has a pay-to-use stat tracker/recorder. Not to mention multiple versions of the game (CoD2, CoD2:BRO)

Side by side, CoD has put out more games in less time than Battlefield has. Who was milked again? And Battlefield fans defend more viciously? Have you seen the CoD fanatics around here? They're in complete denial. Not to mention milked is used for squeezing as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time. Very apparent when CoD gets a yearly release. DICE will support and patch their games from 2005 even though sales have dead for awhile.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Honestly, I don't see how it's much less rehashed than Call of Duty. Battlefield fans just defend their game more viciously since it's less popular. Double standards really. Battlefield is still a very milked franchise and just as "generic" as Call of Duty at this point.ChubbyGuy40

Battlefield has been out longer and has had 5 main games. 1942, Vietnam, Battlefield 2, 2142, and Battlefield 3. Then it's had spin-offs like Bad Company and Play4Free, as well as multiple expansions like Special Forces and Vietnam. Battlefield also changes each game to make it different from the last, where as releasing the same thing for the third time is alright with Activision.

CoD has been out for a shorter period, going onto it's ninth main game, has overpriced DLC, downgrades with every release, it's main developer doesn't care about the community, and that same dev abandons the game after 6 months in which you'll never see patches or tweaks again. It also has a pay-to-use stat tracker/recorder. Not to mention multiple versions of the game (CoD2, CoD2:BRO)

Side by side, CoD has put out more games in less time than Battlefield has. Who was milked again? And Battlefield fans defend more viciously? Have you seen the CoD fanatics around here? They're in complete denial. Not to mention milked is used for squeezing as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time. Very apparent when CoD gets a yearly release. DICE will support and patch their games from 2005 even though sales have dead for awhile.

I play Battlefield Play4Free cause I'm poor:( does nayone still play 2142 cause it looks interesting.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChubbyGuy40

I play Battlefield Play4Free cause I'm poor:( does nayone still play 2142 cause it looks interesting.

NoodleFighter

Battlefield 2 + Bad Company controls = no bueno. Why couldn't they just have made BF2 F2P? One really stupid move by EA.

Not that I know of. I remember logging on awhile ago but the game had the worst hit detection ever. Put 2 full clips into a guy who was laying down and he turned around and got me in 2 shots. I haven't played since. Could've been a hacker or something but there were only like 5 servers active.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts
[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

BF3

MOH

Bad comapny

MOH

BF4

thats every year right? activision does that every year right?
Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

oh great. Just what we need. Another Call of Duty............

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Honestly, I don't see how it's much less rehashed than Call of Duty. Battlefield fans just defend their game more viciously since it's less popular. Double standards really. Battlefield is still a very milked franchise and just as "generic" as Call of Duty at this point.ChubbyGuy40

Pau to use stat tracker? I am sure, I think, that everything I have heard out of the CoD camp has been CoD Elite is free to use. That everything that has been announced so far, the online stat tracking, clans, etc.. were completely free, And that the part that is 'paid for' is completely optional and NOT required. Which you may not believe it, is what optional means.

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

It's an interesting point.

First of all, BF had to start being produced yearly.

Second it has to adapt to what people want, which is fast gameplay and good score with low skill (even Pach says this).

The way i see it BF won't be as successful as COD, it is based more on teamwork and less on instant gratification and on top of it this iteration has been in the works for years and i doubt they have more teams to cycle through the years. Now if BF became hugely popular however...

I think while fans would love BF to rise above COD they would be pretty better served if it never happens, since the company can't be manipulated due to high sales.

COD will terminate it's cycle eventually, maybe BF will become that in the future (Hell, look what happened to Bioware with DA2...) but i don't think it's this year, let's see thou :P

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I doubt it. EA milks the Sims, and Activision milks CoD. EA has no need to milk Battlefield just yet, not when they can still release a constant stream of expansion packs for the Sims.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vashkey

Bad Company certainly wasn't marketed and treated as spin offs. While they weren't "true successors" to Battlefield 2 I'd still call them full fledged entries similar to San Andreas and Vice City are to GTA. And really, this whole "releasing the same game over and over" is bs. Both game series are milked and fans of either series are delusional if they can't accept that. Arguing over whom is milked more is is petty.

capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#47 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts
Thats when your wrong, basically graphically blind people cant differentiate Infinity Ward and Treyarchs games. IW games which have scores above 9.0 and Treyarch at best in 8.5. IW has been caring about the community and are actually advancing their engine and what they have(the graphics in the PC version were awesome upon the release).....while WaW and BlackOps still use the CoD 4. Engine. Infinity is better enough alone and without Treyarch stealing the fame of MW games. I still dont trust EA, especially what they did to C&C 4 , Pandemic's games and putting crappy Frostbite engine on a racing game=NFS The Run
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="drummerdave9099"]

vashkey

Honestly, I don't see how it's much less rehashed than Call of Duty. Battlefield fans just defend their game more viciously since it's less popular. Double standards really. Battlefield is still a very milked franchise and just as "generic" as Call of Duty at this point.

when was the last time cod changed the game engine or made any real change to the game other that recicling it? bf at least makes new games and put effort in them. For that alone they are way better than call of duty.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Isn't that with all games?
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points